Peyton Manning: After my dad and Dan Marino, Eli was my favorite player

Getty Images

Peyton Manning’s little brother is officially announcing his retirement today, and Peyton reflected on that with some brotherly love.

Peyton Manning told the Broncos’ website that he has loved watching Eli Manning, almost as much as he loved watching Archie Manning and Dan Marino as a kid.

“I’m happy for Eli, because I know he’s at peace and he put a lot of time and thought into this decision,” Manning said. “But I am sad, because I won’t get to see him play anymore. And after my dad and Dan Marino, Eli really was my favorite player. So I have to find a new one. But for really 19 years going back to his three years at Ole Miss, 16 years in the NFL, I have enjoyed watching him play, watching him compete, watching him grow into a man. It’s been a heck of a run.”

Peyton Manning said that since retiring, he has enjoyed attending more Giants games, including Eli’s last home start.

“I really have enjoyed watching him play in person a lot more,” Manning said. “I’ve been averaging about three games a season during the years that I was retired. I certainly got to keep up with his games more. And once again, I wasn’t talking to him every day during the week, but could ask him about the game plan and what the Dolphins are doing on defense. But to go see him play and take my kids down to the locker room and have the chance for them to see their uncle, that was a real thrill. So I’ll miss that.”

The 2020 season will be the NFL’s first without at least one of the Manning brothers since 1997.

21 responses to “Peyton Manning: After my dad and Dan Marino, Eli was my favorite player

1. Great family, great representatives for the NFL and the game of football. The Manning passing camp has mentored many young quarterbacks. Hopefully Peyton and Eli will stay involved in the game in some manner.

2. His durability streak, broken by coaching, not injury, is more impressive than a couple playoff streaks. Can’t forget that without an awesome escape on the play, David Tyree’s catch never happens.

3. Ah that’s cute. Jokes aside, the Manning family have left their mark on the league. As mentioned previously, the Manning passing camp has helped so many young QB’s.

4. somefans says:
    January 24, 2020 at 7:25 am
    Dan Marino had the best arm of all of them.

——

5. floridaslonechargersfan says:
    January 24, 2020 at 5:12 am

My favorite Eli memory is the look on his face as Peyton won his second Super Bowl and Eli no longer had a leg up on anything.

Eli is undefeated in Super Bowls (2-0). Peyton is 2-2. That’s still a leg up.

6. SWFLPC.INC says:

somefans says:
    January 24, 2020 at 7:25 am
    Dan Marino had the best arm of all of them.

——

“It’s just too bad he never had a coach who was capable of making use of his enormous talents”

Apparently you think Don Shula and Jimmy Johnson are not capable coaches.

7. meadowlandssports says:
    January 24, 2020 at 8:20 am

Eli is undefeated in Super Bowls (2-0). Peyton is 2-2. That’s still a leg up.
    ——–
    I disagree. It’s Payton that has the leg up in that instance as he won 4 conference championships to get to the 4 Super Bowls. By your logic it would have been better for Peyton’s legacy to lose the AFC Championships and not go to the Super Bowls rather than to go and lose.

8. Eli had Tom Coughlin, Peyton had a few seasons with Dungy and the rest with journeymen…

——————————

meadowlandssports says:
    January 24, 2020 at 8:20 am

Eli is undefeated in Super Bowls (2-0). Peyton is 2-2. That’s still a leg up.

9. @1gallon – Eli is undefeated in NFCCG, including two of the most classic games of recent memory with the win over Green Bay is sub-zero temps, and the absolute beating he took against the 49ers. In fact, the Giants as a team are undefeated in the NFCCG. Peyton is 4-1 in AFCCG. When you don’t lose championship games, you’re better.

10. Tend to agree with 1gallon…but also think measuring legacy is really not about rings. I preach to an empty hall on that one. One person does not win a super bowl. Eli’s legacy is that he was a great QB in good and so-so systems.

11. meadowlandssports says:
    January 24, 2020 at 8:20 am

floridaslonechargersfan says:
    January 24, 2020 at 5:12 am

Eli is undefeated in Super Bowls (2-0). Peyton is 2-2. That’s still a leg up.
    ======================================

Hogwash. Peyton got there 4 times and made the playoffs virtually every year. Eli had 2 SB wins and 4 one-and-dones. Eli only made the playoffs in 6 of his 16 NFL seasons. Peyton wins easily.

12. meadowlandssports says:
    January 24, 2020 at 10:58 am
    ======================================

So then Archie is the best of all, since he never got to a championship game. That’s what your logic says.

Getting there means you at least have a chance. Peyton got to the playoffs way more than Eli, and he was often carrying those teams more than Eli ever did on his teams.