Antonio Brown: “I haven’t done anything that bad”

Getty Images

Antonio Brown is continuing to make his case that he belongs back in the NFL, and he’s also denying that he ever should have been out.

Brown appeared on the syndicated radio show The Breakfast Club and said he’s getting a bad rap.

“I feel like I’ve just been doing what’s best for me,” Brown said. “Any time someone is doing what’s best for them, that’s outside the normal rules and regulations, it’s going to be scrutiny, but I haven’t done anything that bad. I showed some bad emotions in some bad situations.”

Brown added, however, that he does not need to play for the money.

“I’ve already established the wealth. I’ve made the $100 million, I’ve got the wills and trust funds. I’ve been one of the few guys to do right and take care of myself,” Brown said.

Brown is under investigation by the league for a civil lawsuit accusing him of sexual assault and rape, and even if the NFL were to clear him, it’s questionable whether any team would be willing to sign him. Brown may not think he’s done anything bad, but he’ll have a hard time convincing NFL teams of that.

90 responses to “Antonio Brown: “I haven’t done anything that bad”

1. Let’s see, you physically threatened Mike Mayock. If I would do that to my employer, I would be arrested and charged. And that’s just for starters of the laundry list of your stupidity……

2. Antonio, its all about how you define the word, “that”. The world’s definition is different than yours.

3. “I feel like I’ve just been doing what’s best for me.” Yes, but you do it at the expense of others and you don’t even care. That’s what makes a person a narcissistic sociopath. And like a true sociopath, they don’t even realize it. They never think their behavior is “that bad.” The karmic irony is that what they do thinking it is best for them turns out to destroy them.

4. He is so desperate to be relevant. He should concentrate on getting his life back on track. His money will be gone in legal fees

5. Brown should be getting paid for his circus act by having his own reality TV show. I cant believe his agent and the networks haven’t come up with something. I mean, this cat is special.

6. Lets assume he’s not broken any laws.
    Why would a team want to give millions to an erratic player?

I’d take AB on the Vets minimum with a bonus of $1,000,000 per game with 2 of:
    100 yards
    2 TDs
    10 receptions

He cost himself millions

7. After his latest incident he was ordered to undergo a mental health evaluation. No word yet on the result but that could go a long way to explaining what is wrong with this guy.

8. Mike Tomlin deserves retroactive Coach of the Year honors for keeping this behavior under wraps for so long.

9. Regardless of all off field craziness, asking or weaseling your way off two teams and lying to a 3rd team all in a course of one season is real bad.

Having the police called to your residence more than once and allegedly assaulting an innocent person says otherwise.

Pay your creditors as agreed, obey all laws, resolve all civil/criminal court cases, quit lying, and behave for 6 months…maybe, just maybe, the NFL will reconsider and a team just might take a chance on you again for the 3rd time.

10. I’m sorry, but AB needs to up his meds, and get therapy to understand his behaviour. Sexual assault, battery and skipping bills are NOT normal behaviour and are NOT acceptable by society.

But I doubt either will happen so he will still be in denial (that well known river), so here we are…

11. Mostly, Brown hurts himself. It’s not like he lands death blows to the core of our democracy or anything serious like that. We’ll leave that job to our elected government officials.

12. dejadoh says:
    February 15, 2020 at 9:31 am
    Rape, assault,,,sorry, pretty bad.
    —————————————
    If memory serves, Kobe had a similar civil case against him that was settled out of court. The entire universe has forgiven Kobe for that, so how does it make sense to pile onto Brown for the very same thing? Please explain. I’m so confused.

13. Instead of incessantly pleading his case to get back in the NFL, why isnt he trying to clear his name legally with the rape allegations??Why wouldnt that be priority #1 as its the clear reason why hes not being picked up? Probably because hes guilty. Go Away.

14. Here’s the reality for Mr. Brown.

He’ll be 32 this upcoming season, still has to answer to the league and accept its penalties/suspensions for his actions, some of which were in the face of the league. Who knows, but I supsect a minimum of a year and if these abuse allegations have any legs then could easily be longer all added up.

By the time that’s all over we’re looking at what was once a premier receiver but whose baggage will grossly outweigh any utility he’ll bring to a team.

The other propblem is that any team that signs him must be prepared to grapple with the notion that he’ll try to make that team the [Insert City’s name] Antonio Browns. Pretty sure it won’be be Cleveland for the overlap. Which teams are now willing to take the wealth of unknown risks, along with the dissociated disruptions and quite likely backlash from their fanbase, remains to be seen. I cannot imagine that my Bills would. Brown is single-handedly capable of ruining a season by himself.

Lastly, he’s going to expect to “get paid,” which frankly, probably isn’t going to happen the way that he thinks he’s entitled and envisions it. A team would be stupid to sign him to any contract with a guarantee of more than minimum wage and cut-able mid-game.

In other news, it’s quite clear that Brown and whomever has been writing his public statements are not the same person. Which raises the obvious issues as to how contrite Brown really is given the seeming disparity between his statements and those, not to mention the writing styles.

Seems like an uphill battle to me and it’s beyond clear that Brown insists on being the biggest fish in the pond. It shouldn’t take an ideological tactician to figure out where this is headed.

IMO by the time this whole things shakes out he’ll be 34 and old news.

15. whodatdomefieldadvantage says:
    February 15, 2020 at 6:13 am
    Over/under on when he goes broke – 2 years.

I doubt it, he doesn’t actually pay anybody. Only way he goes broke is if he loses a lawsuit

16. fragrantfoul says:
    February 15, 2020 at 9:55 am
    dejadoh says:
    February 15, 2020 at 9:31 am
    Rape, assault,,,sorry, pretty bad.
    —————————————
    ==================
    I am confused as well. When did Mr. Brown settle his case out of court?

17. “I’ve made the $100 million, I’ve got the wills and trust funds. I’ve been one of the few guys to do right and take care of myself,”

So in his mind, if you don’t elevate to stardom and riches, you aren’t doing right and taking care of yourself as a man.

Shame

18. Michael Asleson says:
    February 15, 2020 at 10:55 am
    ——————————–
    If Brown were to settle the case out of court by paying off the claimant, would that clear his name legally, in your opinion? Because, to that end, whether he is guilty or innocent is immaterial to the case.

19. fragrantfoul says:
    February 15, 2020 at 9:55 am
    dejadoh says:
    February 15, 2020 at 9:31 am
    Rape, assault,,,sorry, pretty bad.
    —————————————
    ______________________________________________________________________

Are you kidding? Kobe is THE example of what TO DO when faced with ONE bad event. He settled it and apologized – and did NOT go public with on-going disdain and threats vs the accuser; AB has done the exact OPPOSITE.. Kobe also dedicated his “after-event” life/off hours to events & rights groups who HELPED women’s abuse issues – while AB ONLY defiantly ignores his victims experiences with him screaming about HIS alleged rights with disdain for those he’s harmed – and spitefully flaunts this behavior.

Kobe had gone on to become a phenomenal citizen in general, including more than just his sport, but a great representative of a human being – especially as a father, neighbor and even writer. And, AB… well, ARE YOU KIDDING!?

20. Well, you ain’t exactly done good either there bub’.

You threw furniture off a balcony, coming close to killing a child. You bailed on your team mates in a critical game. You’ve thrown multiple team mates, and owners, under the bus. You missed a large part of camp, with your new team, because you couldn’t figure out how to protect your feet from -200 degrees, or find a helmet that fit (unlike 2000 other players), you’ve stiffed multiple vendors with bills, allegedly assaulted a moving van driver, allegedly popped your cork onto the back of a trainer, … and the list goes on.

So, no, not Aaron Hernandez bad. But you ain’t Mother Teresa either.

21. mcmccii says:
    This guy belongs in a mental institution.So naturally, the NFL will reinstate him
    ==

One cannot be “reinstated” to something until they have first been banned, barred or suspended from it.
    The media has postulated Antonio Brown could be suspended by the NFL the moment any team signs him — and it very well might — but to date that’s mere speculation.
    The Steelers traded Brown, the Raiders released him, and the Patriots cut him. No other team has signed him since, for painfully obvious reasons. While that makes Brown an unsigned free agent, the NFL hasn’t yet formally banned, barred or suspended him, negating any requirement for “reinstatement.”
    While I hope no team is that reckless, Brown could, in theory, sign with an NFL team today.

22. ditkasanger says:
    February 15, 2020 at 11:33 am
    fragrantfoul says:
    February 15, 2020 at 9:55 am
    dejadoh says:
    February 15, 2020 at 9:31 am
    Rape, assault,,,sorry, pretty bad.
    —————————————
    ______________________________________________________________________
    ——————————
    Okay, but why do we put this guy’s character on the highest pillar in the land? Above even those who’ve never had anything to apologize for in the first place, are first-rate fathers that put family above all else, commit themselves to humanitarian causes, and make the world a better place, every day?

Is it merely because he was an admired and respected athlete? That’s a grading system I can’t buy into completely, although I don’t disagree with anything you wrote.

23. “Never friends, just had to get my ends….shut up already”, AB’s twitter on Roethlisberger 9 months ago.

24. ”Brown is under investigation by the league for a civil lawsuit accusing him of sexual assault and rape,”

Ray Lewis was under Criminal investigation for murder or accessory to murder and it worked out ok for him. Just sayin’.

25. Compared to Pacman Jones, Aaron Hernandez, Rae Carruth or Myles Garrett NAH AB didn’t do anything that bad!

26. Steve Cunningham says:
    ———————————
    You’re absolutely right – when you lower the bar that low, we’re all saints!

Hll, none of us are Hitlers, Ghengis Khans, or Napoleans – what’s ur point?

The whole ‘It’s not as bad as that’ rationale in the US needs to be eliminated.

27. @ BermudaBoy, just that its a relevant term, “I haven’t done anything that bad” = well that just depands on compared to what or who?

28. So . . . Mr. Big Frozen Ottoman, how about chunking furniture off a 14th story balcony . . . what are those? PARTY FAVORS?!?!

29. Maybe he hasn’t killed anyone yet. But his behavior indicates he has little interest in playing football, or at least do the required work to be part of a team. That’s more than enough to keep him unemployed indefinitely.