Tom Brady may already be getting plenty of free-agency interest

tom brady contract
Getty Images

Tom Brady is considering taking the concept of the free-agency tour to the next level, swapping a tour of interested teams with a parade of interested teams coming to him, kissing the ring and/or the rump of the greatest quarterback to ever play the game in the hopes of getting him to play for them.

The possibility of Brady hosting interested teams and not the other way around, as reported by Tom Curran of NBC Sports Boston, strongly suggests that Brady already knows that there will be a parade of interested teams.

With official free agency still a month away, unofficial free agency already has begun. Brady and/or his agent, Don Yee, are already hearing from the teams that will be inclined to sign him. And the possibility of having those interested teams come to see Brady means that Brady and Yee already know that there will be enough to justify the approach.

Who wouldn’t want Brady, even as he closes in on turning 43? He continues to play at a high level. And pro football continues to be about much more than football. It’s fundamentally a business, even if they don’t want us to think it’s a business.

Signing Brady would be great for business. He’d sell tickets. He’d sell suites. He’d get people who already have purchased tickets to show up and buy overpriced beverages and food and other things available at the stadium. And his new No. 12 jersey (even if his next team has retired it, he’ll be wearing it) would instantly become the hottest-selling piece of NFL merchandise, perhaps ever.

So, yes, teams should be lining up to sign him. And, yes, if he doesn’t re-sign with the Patriots, teams looking to make more money will be wise to give it a whirl.

Again, they already are. And apparently enough of them have shown enough interest to make Brady ponder the possibility of having all of them come see him, which would be the biggest free-agency power play of all time.

54 responses to “Tom Brady may already be getting plenty of free-agency interest

1. I can only see Brady making a run with the Bears or the Titans….still, I don’t see him getting past the divisional round of the playoffs unless he’s still a Patriot. Yes tickets will sell, jerseys will be purchased, but he ain’t winning another super bowl without Belichick.

2. He’ll resign with the pats. Just wants attention. Can’t just leave those TB12 facilities in Boston left empty

3. Who wouldn’t want Brady?

I don’t think many teams would at this point in time. He sure didn’t look all that great last year and if you are looking beyond this year at all you don’t want him. The only team I would think it would be a good idea would be the Bucs. They have the fire power on offense to make any QB look good. Outside of selling tickets for one year I don’t see the point.

4. An argument could be made for for a team with a young franchise QB to still sign Brady. Teams will need to have enough cap to make it happen. Brady should get fully guaranteed short term deal.

5. Brady did not play at a very high level last year. Obviously he should have plenty of suitors and he may even improve from last season, but at his age there are plenty of teams that would be crazy to mortgage their future for an average QB. Footballoutsiders had Brady at 16th in DYAR and 17th in DVOA. ESPN had him at 16th in QBR. The list goes on. And that really doesn’t do it justice. The last 12 games of the season he prob didn’t crack the Top 20. It was ugly.

Of course he had one of the worst supporting casts I’ve ever witnessed, but in years past that didn’t stop him so there has to be a combination of both. Personally I think the Titans make the most sense, by far. They need to improve their D but it’s not THAT bad overall, and they have so much offensive talent to help an aging QB succeed.

6. He’s already said that money doesn’t matter so what’s he trying to prove or waiting on? Is it a matter of the Patriots not wanting him? Do they have a better QB at hand?

7. This is now just stupid. Brady is gone. Not sure how we got here, but we as fans, can’t do anything about it. Time to move on and cheer for the next guy in. Go Patriots!

8. Buffalo (Kelly), Miami (Griese), NY Jets (Namath), Seattle (dumb 12th man) and San Francisco (Brodie) the teams who have retired the number 12.

9. I assume Brady realizes that a portion of these teams are interested in him merely for his fan draw and merchandise power, not necessarily his performance on the field. At 43, its not like a long term contract is forthcoming. Plus, where ever he ends up, the fan base will be in a WIN NOW mode. Fans and local media may not be very tolerant of losing, because, you know, it’s still a team game and adding a superstar doesn’t always equate to instant wins.

10. Brady is no longer a top QB but he’s still smart and not bad.
    The only reason for a team to pay him 30MM is for increased attendance, merchandise, concessions. I’m not sure that’s worth it.

I don’t know whats going through his head but why not finish his career with teh patriots, since he doesn’t need the money.

11. One possible landing spot for Brady is Tennessee. They may want to pay Brady what they may have to pay Tannehill to try to get to the Super Bowl. Brady has proven that he can beat Kansas City, and the Chiefs are the defending Super Bowl Champs. Buffalo, and Chicago are also likely landing spots, because these teams are playoff contenders with young quarterbacks who are still playing under rookie contracts, so they may have the salary cap space for Brady to try to get them to the Super Bowl.

Brady may be trying to prove that he can win a Super Bowl without Belichick and Belichick may want to prove that he can win a Super Bowl without Brady.

12. Brady’s never been about the money. The only likely issue is Belichick (as done before with other older vets) only wants to offer one-year contracts and Brady wants at least two with the option of a 3rd year to play all thru 2022 age 45, if still healthy. I still think Pats keep him.

13. I’ve seen pretty much every Pats game in my life, going back almost 40 years to when I was too young to remember and my dad brought me out of my crib to watch them. I vividly remember the 1-15 season, and plenty like that. I am FOREVER grateful for this run and how spectacularly long it has been. Having said that, I think Brady is not a top 15 QB at this point. It wasn’t just the offensive line play, or receivers. Even when guys were open in the flat maybe 10 yards away from him and there was no pressure, he would consistently throw it over their heads. You see that when guys start to lose their arm-strength and have to put extra effort into even short passes, sacrificing some accuracy. He also left guys out to hang, and almost every deep pass was floating for an extra couple of seconds. I’m just not sure there’s going to be a ton of teams lining up. To maximize his talent at this point you need a stud offensive line to give him time, and a deep receiving corps.

Personally, I don’t care, I want him with the Pats even if his arm falls off. If the last couple years of Brady are 1st or 2nd round exits, I’m fine with that. I grew from a teenager to someone on the cusp of middle age watching him, and somewhere along the way it became a lot more than just about winning. If someone sticks around as long as he has you almost feel like the guy is a friend, even if you’ve never met, and every Sunday for 20 years I’ve gotten to hang out watching this guy run out there. I HOPE there’s a couple more trophies in there, but if not, I don’t care, he owes us fans nothing at this point.

14. The Pats are depleted with no relief in sight. Brady is looking for a better situation where his skills can be put to better use than propping up BB’s feeble offense.

15. “Brady did not play at a very high level last year.”

He was 7th in the league in passing with a 3:1 TD-INT ratio with the worst Oline he’s ever had and a bunch of crappy receivers and TEs except for Edelman.

Yes, he did play at a high level.

16. accipiterq says:
    February 19, 2020 at 8:29 am

______________________________________________

17. Christopher Siegert says:
    February 19, 2020 at 2:11 am
    Brady did not play at a very high level last year… Footballoutsiders had Brady at 16th in DYAR and 17th in DVOA. ESPN had him at 16th in QBR. The list goes on. And that really doesn’t do it justice. The last 12 games of the season he prob didn’t crack the Top 20. It was ugly. Of course he had one of the worst supporting casts I’ve ever witnessed, but in years past that didn’t stop him so there has to be a combination of both.
    ——————-
    Firstly he still dragged them to the div title and playoffs again. And here’s the problem with stats – that “worst supporting cast” you’ve ever witnessed will have hugely impacted them.

18. “In 40 years you didn’t learn jack about football. Brady is still very good. It’s BB’s talentless offense that was the issue. Worst separation in the whole league according to PFF. And that, and fans like you are why he’s leaving.”

———————————————-

You do know that McDaniels runs the offense, right?

19. after all the crap he’s gotten from these other teams for allegedly cheating it would be absolutely great if he was recording all of this for indisputable proof of the tampering happening and forcing the NFL to levy penalties against all these teams that are currently openly cheating.

20. Brady is a great competitor and a great decision maker with a good arm. His success is as much a product of his ability as it is the system, coach, and defense.

Any team that thinks he is a golden goose will be disappointed. Except for jersey and ticket sales.

21. Brady can’t run, and defenses game plan for that. That’s one of the reasons they have had tighter coverages; no one’s wasted in spying, and Dlineman can go all out, not needed to maintain too much containment or lane stability. Brady ain’t running like the young guys (he had 34 total yards in the regular season). In a league with QBs on the run, Brady is a dinosaur – who’s going to buy that?

22. accipiterq says:
    February 19, 2020 at 8:29 am

30 7 Rate This

————————–

True, but why is he stringing the fans along with this annoying Giselle-induced primadonna garbage?

I am sure BB drafting JimmyG was symbolic to this as is Stidham now in there. You’d be a fool to think if BB worked daily with JimmyG, he wasn’t with Stidham.

Hint: Brady did not like the fact BB workrd with JimmyG daily and that and Framegate II lit a fire under Brady. Those were the carrots. What’s the carrot now for Brady? The attention? The pouting to show his displeasure without having All Pro WRs all over the field because of who he is?

This is the real dope. Don’t expect to get it from Mike Reiss or any other googly eyed Brady Apologist in the media. You won’t find it there.

And guess who pouted last year over it once Brown got released? It wasn’t BB or Stidham.

23. Peyton Manning is a good example of an aging QB going to a different system and having it work out. Montana had deteriorated more physically than Brady has and still took the Chiefs to the playoffs. Brady would instantly make the Chargers and Raiders playoff contenders. And the Patriots would project behind the Bills without Brady.

24. electricboogalo says:
    February 19, 2020 at 10:23 am

You can say that about every QB

25. He’s still got game… Needs a great O Line and proper weaponry and he’ll be right back in the Conf Championship if not the Super Bowl.

26. Brady had worst receiver and tight end groups in NFL last year. Still threw for over 4000 yards and 24-8 Td to Int ratio. Brady has NOT declined and Belichick knows it. It is the weapons around him that declined. Brady will resign in NE for 2 years.

THE DYNASTY MARCHES ON…………ON TO 2020

27. I think Brady will sign an extension with the Patriots before free agency, but I don’t have a problem with him talking to other teams. He’s never been a free agent before and for a 20-year pro it would at least be interesting to talk to people and hear about what’s out there. This will all be wrapped up in a few short weeks, so I don’t see how that’s being unfair to fans.

The Patriots have the toughest strength-of-schedule opponents for 2020, and will travel to the west coast a lot. That’s something Belichick is taking into account and one of the reasons why he wants to have Brady for at least 2020.

28. remizak says:
    February 19, 2020 at 11:30 am

1 0 Rate This

———————-

In the cap era, with teams going from 11-5 one year to 5-11 the next more often than not, with soup du jour teams being paper tigers, there is no such thing as “the toughest schedule”. We’ve heard this before and NE does the same kind of a record every year, which is essentially no worse than 12-4. Ironically, they went 11-5 in 2018 and won it all. But, it’s always been 12-4+.

Sure, west coast trips are rough, but BB has them stay out there which helps. He didn’t do that in 2008 with Cassel and it probably hurt, even though they won 3/4 games in 2 sets of back to back situations which was impressive.

29. I’m old enough to remember watching a washed-up Johnny Unitas (who incidentally is the real GOAT) on his last legs with the Chargers after a great career with the Colts.

I see a similar scenario unfolding with whoever Brady winds up with.

30. gronkhof says:
    February 19, 2020 at 10:25 am

6 7 Rate This

———————–

This is only half right. It’s not about running with Brady. He’s never been able to, but he got MUCH better at it AFTER BB drafted JimmyG. Remember when he’d stand back there like a statue from 2007-2012 expecting not to be touched on 40+ plus shotgun spread dropbacks?

Yep. I called it then, too.

It’s what he was doing last year. How many times did you see him have Brady Lock last year? A lot. That happens when teams know he has outright preferences up this lofty standards in the passing game.

Rememeber when Brandon Lloyd had 74 receptions in 2012? 4 TDs. Very good year, but you know what? It wasn’t good enough for Brady because Lloyd didn’t make Brady look better than he needed to be, so Brady fired him.

Rinse and repeat.

These issues with Brady’s perfectionism and bad habits have arisen in the past. BB sees it as well.

It’s up to Brady. He doesn’t fear losing his job in NE at the moment, or maybe he does>

31. Q: Who was the #1 QB in tight window accuracy last season?

A: Tom Brady

(and that was with a shaky offensive line, only 7 games combined from his 2 most talented WRs, and a team that was among leaders in dropped passes)

32. Chill_Mickelson says:
    February 19, 2020 at 12:30 pm
    Q: Who was the #1 QB in tight window accuracy last season?

A: Tom Brady

4 1 Rate This

————————-

No one is claiming anything about Brady’s arm or accuracy. We’re talking about skipping OTAs, not wanting to work with younger or new WRs, which has been a pattern for years and years, poor decision making and crappy leadership with cement shoes.

Who led the NFL in short fields to start with? I bet it was Brady considering how incredible NE’s D was all year, creating turnovers, blocking punts, etc.

33. It will all depend on the CBA. He will stay with the Pats. who wants to start over at his age. Money doedsn’t matter to him at this point. Winning does. He will need more weapons.

34. i think people including Tom Brady are going to be surprised at the overall LACK of interest in paying an aging QB who is showing obvious signs of being on the downhill side of his career anything like a top QB. Unless the Raider continue to be the Raiders he will not get very many offers. Probably stay in NE just to save face.

35. TB should be careful about trying to influence BB on a new deal. History says that BB will easily move on – even from potential future HOf’s. Ask Vinateri, Law, Mankins, and Seymour. BB has little patience with games and no tolerance for free-agents trying to manipulate him.

36. Trade Dak to the Steelers and the Cowboys should sign Brady. The Silver and Blue will go to the Super Bowl with Tom.

37. “With official free agency still a month away, unofficial free agency already has begun. Brady and/or his agent, Don Yee, are already hearing from the teams that will be inclined to sign him.”
    ————-
    So blatant tampering then?

38. The media would love frenzy that would come with a bidding war for Brady. I just don’t see him having many suitors. The team who gets him would need to tailor their offense to Brady. Looking at two year window, it’s tough to see that panning out to a championship. Especially when you look at his depreciation over the past year.