Report: Tom Brady’s representation has met with Chargers, Raiders, Colts

Tom Brady Chargers Raiders Colts
Getty Images

The Patriots may not have talked to Tom Brady‘s representation, but other teams have.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media named the Chargers, Raiders and Colts as teams Don Yee and Carter Chow have met with about Brady this week in Indianapolis. The Giants, named by a different NFL Media reporter as a potential suitor, were not listed in Rapoport’s report.

While it is common for teams to meet with the agents of prospective agents at the Combine, it also is against the rules. The Patriots are unlikely to file tampering charges, and in fact, as Tom Curran of NBC Sports Boston has reported, New England appears to welcome the talks between Brady’s representation and other teams.

The talks will give Brady a good idea of his market before the Patriots get together with him.

There is a growing sense around the league, though, that Brady is headed elsewhere to continue his career.

66 responses to “Report: Tom Brady’s representation has met with Chargers, Raiders, Colts

1. How is this not tampering?

I love how other teams blatantly cheat and then there is a statement of “NE doesn’t care”…Baloney. If you’re going to constantly try to frame my team for stupid crap, while other teams openly break the rules, I want my team to absolutely raise holy hell about it.

2. It’ll be the Chargers. There’s more opportunity to build his brand and his wife certainly won’t object to being closer to Beverly Hills.

3. tylawspick6 says:
    February 27, 2020 at 3:23 pm
    How is this not tampering?

====================

Do you own the Patriots? No, you don’t Bob Kraft does. Kraft obviously doesn’t care that other teams are in discussion with Brady.

Next you will blame whoever signs Brady for Brady leaving the Patriots (if that happens). Ridiculous.

Bob Kraft is a grown man who has owned the Patriots for more than 25 years. Tom Brady is a grown man who is a free agent. Both sides can do what they want.

4. Pats fans are totally breaking down over losing their hero “Tommy” Brady.😭

I’d put it at a 70% chance that Tom ends up with the Chargers.

5. tylawspick6 says:

February 27, 2020 at 3:23 pm

How is this not tampering?

Yes, of course, every other team besides the Patriots cheat? Thanks for the laugh today!!

6. They’re probably not screaming about it because They’re doing it too. I do agree it’s tampering but it never seems to be enforced.

7. Of course it’s tampering.

But people (and teams) in glass houses tend not to throw stones.

Brady’s likely going to be a Patriot when all is said and done. Kraft is (out of respect) letting Brady see what he can get from another team without interfering – and unless it’s an absolutely stupid offer (which is possible), he’s going to match it.

8. I think he’s staying with the Pats but of those three I think it’d be LA. The Colts might be the most Super Bowl ready but there’s Irsay and Deflategate. Las Vegas is alluring but I can’t picture him with Gruden who is more a caricature of himself than the guy who won a Super Bowl.

9. I don’t see Tom having much success in a new system and having to play KC twice and I doubt he goes to a small market like Indy or Tennessee.

I think he stays in NE.

10. I feel like every time I read anything about the “growing sense” that Brady is headed elsewhere, when I click through everything, the source is a two min appearance by Jeff Darlington on Get Up this morning. If you watch that piece, it’s hard to give it any credence. I think things are going exactly as Brady and the Patriots expected and planned after agreeing Brady would have his freedom. If anything, this article shows that Brady’s agent is getting some leg work in before the March deadline, which is good. I thought Brady would hit free agency, but maybe he will sign with the Patriots before that.

11. nflviewer says:
    February 27, 2020 at 3:39 pm
    tylawspick6 says:
    February 27, 2020 at 3:23 pm
    How is this not tampering?

====================

0 1 Rate This

————————-

This has nothing to do with it. We have been told 1000 times over the rules are the rules under Goodell, except, as we know, that’s 100% false. Goodell chooses where to applies the rules when and where he wants or frames the Pats.

12. Calm down tylaw, if the Patriots know he wants to explore free agency it’s in their best interest to grant him permission to talk to other teams before free agency starts. Otherwise they have a $13.5m cap hit even if he comes back.

13. And with the 23rd pick in the 2020 NFL draft, the New England Patriots select…..Jordan Love, Quarterback, Utah.

14. I think if Brady goes anywhere it would be to the Colts. I would think that playing at least 1/2 your games in a dome would be a benefit to an aging QB. I think the Chargers and Colts are comparable talent wise. I know Indy doesn’t have the appeal of LA but I think it would be better for his career.

15. freefromwhatyouare says:
    February 27, 2020 at 3:44 pm
    Pats fans are totally breaking down over losing their hero “Tommy” Brady.😭

I’d put it at a 70% chance that Tom ends up with the Chargers.

———–

I think people are just speculating about what will happen. Not a lot of tears. And why the quotes?

I would say the biggest three problems with the Chargers are:

1) Willie McGinest, who is actually close to Brady, said on live TV that Gisele wouldn’t want to live in LA. I think that’s opposite of what people think, but she’s more of a NYC person per Willie.

2) Brady would have to play against KC twice a year. Therefore, what chance does he even have to make the playoffs in year 1, getting used to the offense.

3) He has never played well at Denver.

16. The only reason Brady would visit the Colts is to take a dump on someone’s desk, it’s completely laughable

17. jkossrt says:
    February 27, 2020 at 4:08 pm

———–

I really can’t see Brady ever agreeing to play for Jim Irsay.

18. tb12bestqbevah says:
    February 27, 2020 at 4:01 pm

——————————————————
    He will be on a plane (hopefully to Indy), long before the 23rd pick. Best QB available at 23 will be Jake Fromm. Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love, Eason will all be gone.

19. friedbokchoy says:
    February 27, 2020 at 3:58 pm
    The NFL needs Brady to sign with the Raiders for the move to Vegas.

————–

On the surface that seems like it would be good for the NFL, but Vegas and the Raiders are destined for success without Brady. They are already sold out and way ahead of expectations. That place is going to be a money making haven whether Brady is there or not.

20. Brady to the Chargers? Why would he do so if he can get any other offers? The Chargers are known as one of the worst, if not the worst, NFL owner + management in the league. This is why Eli Manning publicly demanded to be traded after being drafted by the Chargers because his family knew all of this.

QB Philip Rivers was primarily released for 2 reasons: a bad season and his age (turned 38). Addressing the bad season – PFF rated the Chargers pass protection line as 29th out of 32 teams for 2019. PFF also noted the Chargers have not risen above 26th since 2014. The blind side OT, Russell Okung, was out most of the season and the tandem blockers – Schoffield and Tavi combined to allow 88 pressures on Rivers – the second worst in the NFL for a tandem of blockers. Brady should or does know all of this, so why would a QB that is used to having good to great protection want to line up behind a suicide squad filled with turnstiles? He would also have to play for a hypocritical owner (who has both his sons in director positions with no experience) and team org. that more than once mentioned Rivers age, yet is willing to sign Brady who is 5-years-older?

Brady is smart, so it behooves him to look for anyone but the Chargers and the classless organization that it is.

21. Patriots fans should probably just relax and enjoy winning all those Super Bowls. There is nothing to be upset about anymore. In fact, just stop caring. Drop out and join a Zen community. Leave caring for those of us with two or fewer Super Bowls.

22. bullcharger says:
    February 27, 2020 at 3:53 pm

2 5 Rate This

—————————

Ceetainly a possibility, but I am not quite buying the idea that “Brady needs to be a FA to know his worth”……….He made 25 mil last year. Everyrone and their mother knows 1 team out their with tons of cap space can offer 35 mil per and IMPROVE their QB spot while creating mass hysteria in ticket sales, jersey sales, etc.

This is not an unknown. Sorry, but it’s a bit disingenuous for the team to tell me this is like Edelman or Hightower, etc.

When NE did with Vinatieri, NE matched, but Vinatieri was annoyed that it actually happened in the first place. He just wanted the deal.

It’s hard to get past some key lead up things in the last few years with this ridiculous Brady activity of the Brady book, the doc, the Guerrero pouting, etc, on top of BB giving Brady 18 mil in 2018 with ONLY incentives he couldn’t really hit past that numnber.

It’s easy to see why Brady might have raised his eyebrows at that. That said, it allowed BB to spend more on D to protect Brady. If Brady thought it should have come on offense instead, that’s where you may see a difference of opinion.

Brady is obsessed with his image and legacy. BB? Not so much. He’s concerned about doing right by the team.

23. I would guess that the Patriots gave his agent permission to talk with other teams. Or these discussion are all unofficial hypotheticals to skirt the rules. Or, of course, it’s all made up nonsense.
    If I had to bet on where Brady plays, I’d still pick the Patriots with confidence. If he leaves, it won’t be because he illegally negotiated a deal before free agency starts without talking to NE first.

24. gacoltfan says:
    February 27, 2020 at 4:00 pm

6 0 Rate This

————————-

Correct, so what that means is, Brady needs a 2 year deal from NE. The total hit in 2021 would likely also not be great.

25. How is this not tampering?

————
    Exactly! Imagine if things were reversed & it was the Pats talking to a player before the allowed time, there would be hundreds of comments accusing them of tampering.
    Double standard!

26. Brady is meeting with everybody but NE because he is trying to get the best possible offer to bring back to the Pats. This is the first time he has gotten to test the market and he is just playing the game. He is also way too image-conscious to not want to say he played his whole career for one team and he wants to win too much to start over at age 43. The real story is whether Bill Belichick wants him back and if so, at what price?

27. tylawspick6 says:
    February 27, 2020 at 4:23 pm
    bullcharger says:
    February 27, 2020 at 3:53 pm

2 5 Rate This

—————————

————

I can see that… maybe it’s less about knowing his worth and more about what kind of influence he could have on football operations elsewhere?

I agree that BB is not obsessed with his legacy, and I honestly don’t think Brady is either, but Brady is interested in protecting his off field brand for sure, which is partially based on continuing to play at an elite level at 43 years old. If the offense isn’t a strength, it won’t help his brand for sure.

28. No way TB12 goes to the AFC W, no team, with or without him is better than the Chefs. He’d be lucky to even make the playoffs in that division, much less a SB.

29. Of course the Patriots are fine with Yee finding out what other teams want to offer Brady. That Brady has all the info he needs before free agency and can potentially sign an extension with the Patriots before free agency–and the dead money hit–arrives. The Patriots aren’t going to complain about tampering in these circumstances.

Amazing hypocrisy for the Colts to be interested in Brady (if they are), considering they triggered the Deflategate travesty. If Brady would even consider them, I’d be surprised. I can’t see the Chargers or the Raiders, for the reasons others have already identified. Nobody knows what will happen, but Brady’s return to the Patriots for a couple of years makes the most sense.

I saw somebody on NFL Network say how exciting it is to talk about QB free agency with Brady in the mix. Frankly, I think that’s why we’re seeing these stories about Brady not going back to New England.

30. There’s zero chance he plays for anyone but the Patriots. Guarantee it. And I’m far from a Pats fan, just saying.

31. Funny how no mention of Tennessee.
    I hope the Raiders have documentation of permission to speak to Brady’s representatives, because I’m sure the league would have no problem hammering them if they didn’t

32. If the Patriots really “valued” Brady they would have already made an offer….Brady grew up in California….hes going to the Chargers…

33. There are now 2 things Colts and Patriots fans can agree on:

1. Ryan Grigson was the worst GM in history.
    2. Brady should never wear a Colts jersey.

34. AFC West would eat him alive. No chance he goes to the Raiders or Bolts. He’s too scared after playing in a cream puff division his entire career.

35. Colts have zero interest in Brady, Brady and his lame representatives are making this up. Colts would take Rivers anyday of the week over sissy Brady.

36. First, Kraft has said he wants Brady to choose what HE wants to do. The Pats GAVE him the no franchise tag on the contract. It’s in the Pats interest to know as early as possible what Brady will do so of course they are okay with him seeing who is interested at the combine.

Second, these few teams mentioned do not constitute all the teams that might be talking. These are just the teams that are willing to let the info leak. Other teams like Dallas, San Fran or the Titans may be asking but have obvious reasons (Dak, JG and Tannehill) to keep a lid on it at this juncture.

37. Brady should go to Minnesota. He could do a lot worse than riding the pine behind Kirk Cousins on the way to picking up a 7th ring. Minnesota is loaded with talent year-in and year-out – they typically have the best roster in football on both sides of the ball, and this year is no exception. Zim is the best coach in the NFL and there’s no doubt he could put Brady’s talent and experience to use, while keeping both him and Kirk happy… all the way to the Super Bowl and bringing home the Lombardi!

38. I doubt the Raiders move on from Carr unless they think Brady will help sell tickets. By week 6 they’ll figure out he might be done.

The Charger and Raiders are also poor landing spots for him. He is not outplaying Mahomes and both rosters are not even close to the Chiefs at this point.

Indy or Tennessee make the most sense. Both teams are on the edge of being playoff teams and the division would be his.

39. TB is great; but at 43, the NFL isn’t about him. Heck, NE limped out of the playoffs. Let’s start talking about who the Pats are going to use as QB instead next year!

40. Raiders would be the best way to make cash and market himself. Bucs would be the best way for him to prove he can still get the job done. I think sd or indy are not very appealing. Raiders will have vegas and bets, bucs have taxes in Florida on their side. His stats are good inside domes though

41. No way he goes to Colts. Chargers are also possible but I just can’t imagine it yet. As for the Raiders they are the wildcard here, and in my opinion have the best shot of landing Brady, if he leaves the Patriots. It’ll be some type of recompense if he can bring ’em a title to make up for that BS tuck-rule against the Raidahs. The only problem of him signing with Las Vegas (Oakland) is that if they start losing, the media will probably bring up Jon Gruden’s $100 Millions contract along with Brady’s salary, and say same ‘ol Raiders, but Tom I’m sure knows to handle adversity very well. He could care less about what the media says while High-Rolling at the strip. I do believe the Raiders are on the verge on becoming one of the better teams, and Brady will definitely make them that, or contenders. which is very possible with a very good talented young RB in Josh Jacobs and an up-and-coming young defense.

Brady has left Gillette stadium, for better or worse. Can’t wait till my Dolphins and the rest of the AFC East crush the moribund Patriots. Make all those Boston eat a whole cake or two of humble pie. Just like when my Miami Heat demolished the overrated ass Boston Celtics on our way to many Championships.

Time to bring out the Kleenex boxes Pats fans! Grab the extra size ones!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

42. unclebluck says:
    February 27, 2020 at 5:20 pm

***************

There is no reason for the Patriots to have made an offer yet. There is no CBA, we don’t know the cap number, and the whole point of Brady’s contract was so he could test the market. He’s testing the market right now and his contract discussions with the Patriots will take place in the next week or two. Plenty of time to sign before the end of the league year.

Yeah, we all know Brady grew up in California. Northern California. Anyone who has lived in CA knows that NoCal and SoCal are two very different places.

43. The greatest QB ever, Unitas ended his fareer in a chargers uniform. My money is on the 6th greatest QB, Brady, to do the same.

44. The cap hit is the reason for the Patriots to make an offer now. Better for them. 13.5 mil if Brady makes it to free agency. I’m surprised and embarrassed that the Patriots are doing this.

45. If you were Jerry Jones, and you could get Brady for the same amount of cash as Dak,
    who would you choose ?
    If you were Brady, and used to a weak division in you prime, which division would you choose now?

46. Di Wol says:
    February 27, 2020 at 8:05 pm

****************

There is still plenty of time for the Patriots and Brady to extend his contract before the league year ends. There is nothing to be surprised or embarrassed about. It’s exactly what everyone should have expected; it’s Brady’s representation checking the market before they sit down with the Patriots.

47. There’s no good reason to think Brady will end up with the Chargers. Their pass protection can’t keep him upright, and Lynn has made it clear with every backup QB he’s chosen that he wants a running QB with a big arm. The money Brady could command would be better spent on an offensive line and younger faster bodies (at least until Mahomes gets hurt – which will happen).

48. “There is a growing sense around the league, though, that Brady is headed elsewhere to continue his career”……..GOOD…… As a Pats fan that’s been watching the NFL since the late ’60’s’ I’ve seen aging QB greats leave their team at the end of their careers. They think they’re still at the top of the game. Time has proven them wrong, Brady will be no different. Bill will do what’s in the best interest of the TEAM, not Brady.

49. Chargers are cheap, Colts will sign Rivers for cheaper so the Raiders get him and trade Carr for draft picks.

50. Di Wol says:
    February 27, 2020 at 8:05 pm

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Because Brady makes it so. He wants to hear other offers. Kraft previously stated that they don’t want to be commit 18-20% of their cap to any one player. Will they break that philosophy and go after Brady? They haven’t yet.