What will new marijuana policy mean for suspended players?

Getty Images

From Josh Gordon to Randy Gregory to Martavis Bryant to David Irving to even Justin Blackmon and beyond, players who currently are suspended indefinitely under the substance-abuse policy should definitely be interested in the proposed CBA.

With the 10-page summary provided last week to all players making it clear that the disciplinary procedures for marijuana positives will be gutted by a new CBA, players who previously were punted from the league could be in line for immediate reinstatement.

Unfortunately, however, their status isn’t addressed in the short-form outline of the deal. The next question becomes whether the full-blown CBA, which per a source with knowledge of the situation is still being drafted, will welcome back players who were kicked out of the league under a protocol that no longer will apply.

As explained in the summary, the revised policy will “increase emphasis on clinical care over punishment,” and there will be “no suspension for positive tests if [player is] engaged in clinical care.” There’s no reason for this mindset to not apply retroactively, but until the language of the full CBA is seen the answer won’t be known.

36 responses to “What will new marijuana policy mean for suspended players?

1. Pot is the biggest non-issue out there. Adderall on the other hand… talk about a performance enhancer.

2. My mother who is a senior swears by CBD for her aches and pains. There is no legit reason why football players cannot have the same relief.

3. If it’s passed, then any player currently suspended for marijuana should be reinstated. The interesting trickle down would come after that rule was adopted and not all suspended players are reinstated. It’s often assumed that the positive tests were the result of weed, but could be much more serious than that. All the Josh Gordon jokes over the years have centered around weed, but he himself has admitted to abusing a plethora of illegal narcotics.

4. Sunday Swami says:
    March 3, 2020 at 12:16 pm
    Does anyone know how many and who are currently suspended indefinitely?
    _____

I could be wrong here but I would bet that any player currently suspended for pot was not engaged in smoking pot for “Clinical Care”..

5. Marijuana is one of those issues if it we just allowed to be legal that wouldn’t even be talked about anymore. It would become an after thought. Just something people do to relax or deal with pain. Most of the public already doesn’t care.

6. I guess I dont understand why the players currently suspended should get a free pass? They made the decision to violate a rule, regardless of what the rule was. And they were punished for violating a rule. Separate the two things. Dont say “well the rule was for pot and now pot is ok so they should get a pass”. That isnt how it works. They violated a rule that was in place at that time. And they were given a punishment for violating the rule. End of story.

To put it another way. Lets say one day they pass a law that says the age of consent is being raised to 21. Every guy in America should then be retroactively punished for all the times they slept with a woman under the age of 21? That is exactly the same thing. You cant punish someone for something that wasnt illegal at the time they did it, and you shouldnt be able to “unpunish” someone because the law they broke got changed.

7. Well it’s still a PED – yep, it artificially enhances oxygenation to the tissues, as per the report: “Cannabis in Sport: Anti-Doping Perspective” by Huestis, Mazzoni, and Rabin, 2011 Sports Med Journal. That’s just one of several reasons why it’s banned – see section 6 “Potential to Enhance Performance” on page 6 of said report. You can all read it on-line, but don’t want to.

8. jdubkc says:

March 3, 2020 at 1:11 pm

Sunday Swami says:
    March 3, 2020 at 12:16 pm
    Does anyone know how many and who are currently suspended indefinitely?
    _____

——–
    Which has nothing to do with what I’m asking. I’m just wondering how many players are currently suspended indefinitely and who?

9. If the employer work polices (rules) change then you can no longer be held accountable. Period. It was changed because the employer/ owner deemed it unnecessary any longer. Clean Slate.

The law and rules that Always get looked over is, You Cant Not Drink And Drive! Yet you can go to bars and restaurants drink for hours and hop into your car and drive home. Law Enforcement KNOWS everyone at a bar is driving home… . yet do you ever see cops hanging out waiting to bust Everyone for DUI’S ? nope. Business wouldnt survive,

pot vs alcohol which is safer for pain physically and mentally?

10. YouCanHaveAnyOpinionYouWantAsLongAsItsTheSameAsPFT says:
    March 3, 2020 at 1:35 pm

_____

IDK why you got so many down votes. That all makes sense to me. I am opposed to punishing guys for weed but they did still break the rules that were in place at the time.

11. You ask what the new pot policy will mean for those currently suspended for it? The answer is easy. They’re gonna twist and burn and wait for their agent to call.

12. They knew what the rules were when they committed the offense and should be punished by that standard.

13. calizcowboyz says:

March 3, 2020 at 2:11 pm

pot vs alcohol which is safer for pain physically and mentally?
    ———–
    Incorrect. You can drink and drive, you however are not supposed to over drink so you stay within legal BAC in you or area and so you arent inebriated. If you go to a dispensary your not supposed to sit in the parking lot and smoke just as when you go to the grocery store your not supposed to sit in the parking lot and drink a 12 pack.

14. “Pot is the biggest non-issue out there.”

It’s such a non-issue that those guys couldn’t for the life of them avoid it even at the cost of their careers… Should it be a banned substance? Probably not, especially if it’s medically prescribed. But should those guys that have such a problem that it debatably ruins their lives be using it? Alcohol is legal…but not everyone should necessarily partake in its use.

15. “Law Enforcement KNOWS everyone at a bar is driving home… . yet do you ever see cops hanging out waiting to bust Everyone for DUI’S ?”

I have. Except they weren’t looking to bust “everyone”, however they were looking for people who were badly intoxicated and a real danger to the people on the roads around them

16. “Dont say “well the rule was for pot and now pot is ok so they should get a pass”. That isnt how it works. They violated a rule that was in place at that time. And they were given a punishment for violating the rule. End of story.”

At least some states where weed is now legal especially where recreational use has been legalized have released the people who were in jail for simple possession that had been arrested under older laws.

They have not released those who were dealing or possessed large quantitities, or who had DUIs, but simple possession convictions yes.

17. I remember when penicillin was the new wonder drug. Doctors prescribed it for everything. The result was it became so widely used that it no longer worked because the bacteria became resistant to it.
    Now, marijuana is all the rage and the dopers will tell you it cures everything from headaches to poison ivy and also, by the way, gets you stoned.
    The funny part to me is the dopers never, ever mention the fact that long term marijuana use does adversely affect the body. There have been plenty of independent studies which have shown that it even destroys brain cells.
    You dopers should be awarded a trophy — which I would call the Timothy O’Leary Trophy — in deference to the man who said, “turn on, tune in, and drop out” because you won. Marijuana will soon be smoked in public by nearly everyone — including kids.
    Congratulations to all you dopers. The NFL has accepted marijuana use by the players and for my money, they should hand it out to the players on the sidelines during the games. Let them all get stoned so no one feels any pain and they can all do what that infamous drug user Lawrence Taylor once said — … “let’s run around like crazed dogs!!”.
    I have never used marijuana and would never use it just to get high. It’s a drug and I avoid drugs as much as possible because every drug has side affects which often outweigh their benefits.

18. I dont if currently suspended players should be automatically reinstated considering they broke the rules that were in place at the time. That being said marijuana testing in the workplace should be banned nationwide. Period! Just my two cents.

19. YouCanHaveAnyOpinionYouWantAsLongAsItsTheSameAsPFT says:
    March 3, 2020 at 1:35 pm

——————————————————————————————
    Because the rule shouldn’t have been enforced in the first place. That’s the NFL apologizing for a grave mistake.

20. YouCanHaveAnyOpinionYouWantAsLongAsItsTheSameAsPFT says:
    “To put it another way. Lets say one day they pass a law that says the age of consent is being raised to 21. Every guy in America should then be retroactively punished for all the times they slept with a woman under the age of 21? That is exactly the same thing.”

– This is the stupidest thing I have ever read in my life. I mean you must be a total dolt to even be able to draw a line between the two not to mention “exactly the same thing”. When I was in my 40’s I was trying to pull two 20 year olds at the same time in the name of “age equity”.
    It sounded good to me.

21. Sunday Swami says:
    March 3, 2020 at 1:55 pm
    jdubkc says:

March 3, 2020 at 1:11 pm

Sunday Swami says:
    March 3, 2020 at 12:16 pm
    Does anyone know how many and who are currently suspended indefinitely?
    _____

——–

____

What I am saying that no one seems to understated here is that IF THERE ARE currently players suspended indefinitely I doubt they are suspended because they went to a doctor, got a script for a few joints, smoked them, then got suspended from the NFL.. Also look it up for yourself.

22. Sunday Swami says:
    March 3, 2020 at 12:16 pm
    Does anyone know how many and who are currently suspended indefinitely?
    _____

——–

____

________

It’s not that people don’t understand you. It, quite simply, wasn’t relevant to the question asked.

23. jdubkc says:

March 3, 2020 at 5:05 pm

Sunday Swami says:
    March 3, 2020 at 1:55 pm
    jdubkc says:

March 3, 2020 at 1:11 pm

Sunday Swami says:
    March 3, 2020 at 12:16 pm
    Does anyone know how many and who are currently suspended indefinitely?
    _____

——–

____

——-
    What your not getting is what your saying has zero to do with what I said or asked or what anyone has said. I didnt ask what players suspended indefinitely were suspended for, or how many were suspended for weed or how many claim its weed or whether anyone who is suspended were legally obtaining it just simply put how many are currently suspended indefinitely in the league (which again might not be drug related suspensions)as maybe someone here would be better at doing a deep dive of players who are currently suspended indefinitely as it’s not just a 1 year thing so players could have been suspended 3 years ago and had an appeal denied but not all appeals make headlines…Also the internet is for information and sometimes that means asking for help, you should ask for some cause you need it.

24. streetyson says:
    March 3, 2020 at 1:47 pm
    ————————————————————————–
    Sorry but there is no way Marijuana can enhance an athletes performance. I take it you’ve never tried it. It messes up your hand eye coordination, reaction times etc. I smoked before football practice in High school once. I could barely make it through the practice. Dropped everything thrown to me, was a mess. Never did that again. Pot may be relaxing and make you feel good, but it makes you stupid and slow while your high and is the opposite of performance enhancing.

25. While the laws have changed, they still broke the rules when the rules were in place. They aren’t innocent. I think they can reduce penalties but wiping the slate isn;t really 100% right considering all the other players that didn’t break the rules.

26. NFL players literally lower their life expectancy and endure horrible pain in order to play the game they love. The NFL punishing these men for using marijuana to ease their pain or relax off the field is and always has been disgraceful. The NBA stopped suspending players for weed years ago and those guys don’t suffer a fraction of the pain NFL players do. Anyone currently suspended strictly for weed use should be immediately reinstated and no one should ever be suspended for it again!