Aaron Rodgers sits out NFLPA meetings

Getty Images

Unlike most franchise quarterbacks, Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is involved in the NFL Players Association, as his team’s representative. But Rodgers, who has been vocal regarding his opposition to the proposed CBA, did not show up for the ongoing NFLPA meetings in Florida.

Per multiple sources, Rodgers isn’t there. And because Green Bay’s sole alternate rep, Mason Crosby, also isn’t there, the Packers have no vote in any of the various matters on which the board of player representatives has been and will be voting, including the next NFLPA president.

It is clear that he believes the current CBA should not be ratified, primarily because he believes that the union didn’t get enough in return for playing 17 games. Union leadership has concluded otherwise, which has led to heightened friction and acrimony among members of the Executive Committee and the board of player representatives regarding whether the deal should or should not be accepted.

Rodgers clearly has influence, via his Twitter platform of 4.4 million followers and his standing within the league. As one source explained it to PFT on Tuesday morning, it’s believed that many of the players who would like to change their vote (the board voted against allowing it) want to change from no to yes.

“The power of Twitter is amazing,” the source said. “The players who play for the minimum had no idea they were f–king themselves because J.J. [Watt] or [Rodgers] told them to [vote no].”

Plenty of young players have been, and still are, completely disengaged from the process. As another source has consistently explained it, plenty of players are simply “playing Xbox and smoking weed.”

As they smoke, the NFLPA potentially will burn — regardless of the outcome of the ongoing voting.

64 responses to “Aaron Rodgers sits out NFLPA meetings

1. ok… Mr. Rogers…. stay away and pout… How on earth is that going to solve anything?

This QB is and always has been “It’s his way or the highway” in all he does.

Get back to the table and talk… your thoughts kept in your head, and not heard by others does nothing Mr. Rodgers….

Dam what has happen to us all???? Why does staying away seem like the right thing to do??

So what if some of your teammates lack of response bothers you… others did respond and you owe it to them to get back to the table and air you viewpoint…

2. Are you trying to tell me the players that make the most don’t have the well being of the lower and middle class players in mind? Next thing you know the stars will say that if the vote doesn’t go their way, that the XFL players will come and take all the league minimum players jobs. Don’t these players understand the virtues of a trickle down economy? As for retirees they should have planned better and not expected entitlements help pay medical bills. To heck if the NFL became a billion dollar corporation while they were fed painkillers and told to ignore signs of concussion.

3. When the average “career” in the NFL is 2-3 years, it’s hard to get the attention of young players to worry about the next 10 years.

4. Mr. Rodger’s teammates fount it “disheartening” that he did not even try to recover his fumble in the NFC title game. A pure Cam Newton moment.

5. This chronic grumbler QBs my team and yes, I just said that. Now he’s dating racing’s sharp-tongued shrew that complained her way to undeserved millions. “Birds of a feather.”

An evening with Danica & Aaron consists of turning on MSNBC, opening a bottle of wine and whine and whine and whine!

6. Sounds like the Packers needs to pay a little more attention to who they pick as player reps. BOTH of them are skipping the meetings?

And a real mystery what normal player would pick Rodgers as his rep given his past comments about the salary cap. When he signed his last huge deal, Rodgers immediately complained how it was unfair the cap didn’t allow him to earn still more and then within a couple days he was griping about his receivers making peanuts on their rookie deals not working hard enough. He is the textbook example of the superstar who’d take every penny while the rest of the team shared space in a flop house.

7. I certainly take exception to the Danica comment. I follow NASCAR closely, and the comment borders on insane lying.

8. So glad this diva isn’t on my team, stop pouting, change your diaper and man up ( if you can ).

9. Not surprising Rodgers isn’t interested. These negotiations really affect the average NFL player whose career lasts only 5-6 years or less. High paid stars like Rodgers negotiate their own deals anyway. I am surprised Rodgers is the team’s rep. Maybe nobody else wanted the position so he got it by default.

10. I’m sure there was some golf tournament.
    It’s not like the vote was important to him or anything.

11. When Rodgers voted no, he had this to say:

“I voted no last night,” Rodgers said. “My decision to vote no is based off of the conversations I have had with the men in my locker room I’m tasked to represent.”

Rodgers did as his teammates ask. That’s not selfish or greedy, it’s his job as their rep. He did his job, was the only member of the team to put his name out there, then when after he voted the way they wanted, they disappeared. It’s Rodgers job to advance their interests but apparently once the vote was cast they bailed…so why in the world would Rodgers continue to be involved in the process on their behalf?

12. I’m sure there was some golf tournament.
    It’s not like the vote was important to him or anything.
    —–
    You realize his vote was cast 4 days ago right?

13. I don’t think it’s cool at all to quote some anonymous source saying players are just sitting around smoking weed and playing XBox. If the source is going to slander these guys, he should have the courage to use his name. And no reputable news source should be repeating that kind of unattributed garbage.

14. We see this spoiled brat attitude every week on the football field too. The guy gets more bogus calls then any other player in the NFL.

15. Stew48 says. “and the comment borders on insane lying.

Go to YouTube and search for – Danica complaining. Then come back and tell me your comment wasn’t borderline insane denying!

16. We see this spoiled brat attitude every week on the football field too. The guy gets more bogus calls then any other player in the NFL.
    _____________
    He’s straight living in your head. Relax, man. It’s the offseason.

17. pkrlvr says:
    March 10, 2020 at 10:51 am
    When Rodgers voted no, he had this to say:

______

Just because some or even a majority of his teammates may not be interested isn’t an excuse to remove himself from the process. If he is so against it he should be there to hash it out with the others who have taken their responsibility as team rep seriously. Apparently these players still don’t realize what will happen if this CBA gets voted down.

18. speicher145 says:
    March 10, 2020 at 11:11 am

_____________

He’s straight living in your head. Relax, man. It’s the offseason.

_____________

So you’re not denying it? Good, because he’s 100% right.

The Packers and Aaron Rodgers are a fraud and everyone outside Waste Management colors Packer land knows it. So Relax man and enjoy your fraud team.

19. Mr. Rodger’s teammates fount it “disheartening” that he did not even try to recover his fumble in the NFC title game. A pure Cam Newton moment.
    ______________
    Remember it however you want to, but Youtube doesn’t lie. Go check it out. Linsley botched the snap.

20. We see this spoiled brat attitude every week on the football field too. The guy gets more bogus calls then any other player in the NFL.
    _____________

He’s straight living in your head. Relax, man. It’s the offseason.

_____________

So you’re not denying it? Good, because he’s 100% right.

_____________
    Most titles in league history, I’ll take it 😉

Stay salty!

21. In my job I find it’s a better tactic to lobby for changes at the office versus sleeping in. He should be fired from this role.

22. Not a good choice for team rep. This CBA really doesn’t effect him anyway. Just the 17th game which the NFL management deems is critical. Players better learn to deal with it because what the NFL really wants is an 18 game regular season which be in the next CBA.

23. Rodgers isn’t a brain-dead X-Boxer or a pothead, so I understand exactly why he is deferring. I’ve held the hands of junior employees to the point it made me feel like I was herding kittens all day long. The stupidity of others can be exhausting. I understand Rodgers. If they’re not concerned about their futures, it’s not Rodgers’ burden or responsibility to do it for them. He says screw ‘em, I say screw ‘em. They’ll get what they deserve.

24. “Don’t these players understand the virtues of a trickle down economy?”

Trickle down economy has no “virtues”. It does and has not ever worked. Those at the top keep all they can and don’t let much of anything “trickle down”

25. Rodgers has gotten very full of himself over the years. This is perfect example of that behavior along with his field presence. Rodger’s reputation is headed in the wrong direction. It’s really a shame because the Packer franchise deserves better.

26. Rodgers sent out a 2,000 word explanation of this plan to his teammates. You could count the responses he received on one hand. If they don’t want to listen to somebody that actually took the time to read and understand the plan, like Rodgers did, screw ‘em.

27. It’s unclear why Rodgers, who has described the lack of response by teammates to his email explaining the proposed CBA as “disheartening,” chose not to attend.
    ——–
    Because Rodgers is all talk and all about himself. He was trying to tell young players making them NFL minimum to vote in a way that was bad for them but favored him. He is set for life. They are not. He is just a sad example of a human being.

28. I definitely have to agree that Rodgers has a serious chip on his shoulder and it has gotten progressively worse.

One other thing to add to the very long list of accurate assessments of the behavior of Aaron Rodgers listed above. I can’t think of any of any of the recent legendary QBs that ever behaved the way Aaron Rodgers does.

When have you ever seen Drew Brees, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning cope an attitude like this?

The answer is NEVER.

Packer fans defending this behavior is a reflection of their clouded judgement due to an unhealthy obsession with their one hit wonder QB in Aaron Rodgers.

29. I definitely have to agree that Rodgers has a serious chip on his shoulder and it has gotten progressively worse.

One other thing to add to the very long list of accurate assessments of the behavior of Aaron Rodgers listed above. I can’t think of any of the recent legendary QBs that ever behaved the way Aaron Rodgers does.

The answer is NEVER.

30. Rodgers has issues. It seems everyone around him is always the problem. He reminds me of my sister in law, it’s always the other persons problem. She doesn’t speak to the rest of the family either.

31. A guy making nearly 50 percent of the total team’s salary cap, while I’m making league minimum. That’s the guy I want advising and telling me how to vote on the contract. Smh

32. “As another source has consistently explained it, plenty of players are simply “playing Xbox and smoking weed.”

-A former Cal QB on his college days.

33. Rodgers’ apathy to nearly all things is the reason he’s not considered a top 15 QB of all time by most sportswriters. He just doesn’t have the traits that are needed to be a leader, hence the reason most of his ex-teammates brutally criticize him. He’s Jay Cutler with a ring.

34. stellarperformance says:
    March 10, 2020 at 11:47 am
    ///////////////

35. You clearly have no idea how union reps work. It is literally his job to show up and vote for the rest of the team. If he doesn’t want to do that, then do not be the team rep.
    ——
    And you clearly can’t read because he showed up and voted 4 days ago. It says right there in the article that the vote can’t be changed so what’s the point of going back to FL?

Some of you are so quick to bash Rodgers (mainly Viking fans of course) that you haven’t thought things through. His part in this is over.

36. Even as an opposing fan, I usually support Rodgers. However, if it is his elected duty to represent the players on his team, he should do just that. Moreover, he shouldn’t criticize his teammates’ apathy on the one hand, and then fail to participate in the NFLPA process on the other. That is way too hypocritical.

37. conormacleod says:
    March 10, 2020 at 12:53 pm
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Rodgers already voted as the team rep. His was one vote NO in sending the ballot out to all players as-is without changes, a ballot already approved by the owners. His vote, with others, was outvoted 17-14, thereby releasing the agreement as-is without the changes he recommended. His recommendations overwhelmingly benefitted younger players. The ballot has been sent out. The player vote takes place 3/12.

Who doesn’t know how it works?

38. I’m with Rodgers……..get serious or get lost. Any player that ignored his 2,000 word interpretation and explanation deserves what they get. The young players are excited to play in the NFL. They don’t want to rock any boats. They’ll agree to anything. Rodgers knows more and better than they do. Have you ever tried to explain budgets and saving and working smarter not harder to someone in their early twenties? Good luck with that. I don’t blame Rodgers one bit.

39. it isn’t the specific vote of the players that bothers Rodgers. It’s the apathy and lack of response. The younger players don’t care.

40. stew48 says:
    March 10, 2020 at 10:36 am
    _______
    check out some videos of her while she was in Indy car. You might feel a little different

41. I find it laughable how so many people, who spend a majority of their time on their individual couches, who have the gall to judge Aaron Rodgers leadership as a player. Laughable.

Especially after so many of his teammates, you know, the men who’ve actually shared a locker room and went to battle on the field with him, have said otherwise.

Guys like Casey Hayward, who’s switched teams, but has always talked about how great it was to share a locker room with the QB and how much he helped him in his initial transition to the NFL.
    With retired teammates like Jordy Nelson and John Kuhn recently praising Rodgers for making themselves better professional athletes, as well as countless others.

As I’ve said many times, spew all the hatred you want. It’s your right, even if your opinions are basically garbage.
    But I’ll take the solid word of the dozens who’ve actually logged time with him, and who know better.

42. stew48 says:

###

You are not a fan of NASCAR if you don’t know that Danica was a whiner.

She’s worse than Aaron at blaming others. At least Aaron had serious talent at one time.

Danica could drive a car fast, she just never learned how to race a car.

43. cellarperformance says

Rodgers already voted as the team rep.
    ###

Rodgers and Crosby missed the vote for the new NFLPA President and other matters voted on today.

You really need to read the article before you blindly defend the indefensible.

44. VintageYear says:
    March 10, 2020 at 12:20 pm

___________________________________________________________

No different than a group of senior employees trying to tell the junior employees how to vote. Its fitting that people join a union to have a voice – only to lose that voice to the majority in the union.

45. Lifelong Packers fan since the John Brockington days, Aaron Rodgers is the biggest wimp to play for them, so sick of his crybaby act……

46. I can’t remember when, but there was a time that I really liked AR. Now that he has become rich and famous, he’s changed – – – much to the worse. I long for the days of the Good ‘ol Boy, Brett Fabre.

Go away, Aaron.

47. The NFLPA has been in literal disarray recently, including a lawsuit by a recent representative of the executive committee & they are voting for a new President of said committee.

There aren’t important side-bar discussions to be had? They don’t need megastar QB’s being a leader who is part of the discussion?

Rodgers should have been there. He’s not a leader & this is not a good look.