DeAndre Hopkins
Getty Images

Texans coach and General Manager Bill O’Brien was eager to trade away wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins, and Hopkins is apparently eager to play for a different coach as well.

Hall of Fame wide receiver Michael Irvin relayed this morning on ESPN a discussion that Hopkins told him he had with O’Brien. According to Hopkins, O’Brien sat Hopkins down to talk to him about life and brought up Aaron Hernandez, who played for O’Brien in New England and was later convicted of murder.

“The last time I had to have a meeting like this, it was with Aaron Hernandez,” Hopkins says O’Brien told him, according to Irvin.

Hopkins was not pleased with that comment.

“That blew my mind that he would even bring that up,” Hopkins told Irvin. “I’ve never been in any trouble. I don’t know why he would equate me with Aaron Hernandez.”

Irvin also says that O’Brien questioned how Hopkins was living his personal life.

“He told DeAndre he doesn’t like that he has his baby mommas around sometimes. And from there I think the relationship just went bad,” Irvin said.

We haven’t heard O’Brien’s side of this conversation, but it’s clear that whatever message O’Brien was trying to get across, it resulted in alienating one of his best players. And now that player is being traded away.

78 responses to “Michael Irvin: Bill O’Brien offended DeAndre Hopkins with Aaron Hernandez comment

1. And why hasn’t he been fired yet? He should have been fired on principle for such a horrific trade.

2. Ya that’s tough to hear as a grown man. Workout well DeAndre as Houston is a sinkIng ship.

Worked out well for me as I’m a fan of the team that has Houston’s 1st and 2nd round picks next year.

Now we just need to wait on word of Laremy Tunsil’s holdout.

Bill O’Brien is welcome at my poker games anytime.

3. More to the story I guess. From the outside, Hopkins hasn’t had any off the field issues and he’s not a diva like Brown or Beckham, so it’s a bit ridiculous to equate him to Hernandez and then trade him for scraps.

4. I have never heard anything scandalous about Hopkins. Though I wished the pruvate conversation would have remained private I understand why he would be upset if it went down that way.

5. O’Brien gets a pass on everything because he *looks* like a football coach. I can draw no other conclusion. Bad coach, bad GM, terrible relationships with players everywhere he goes, gets pounded by every decent team he plays, makes Marvin Lewis’ resume look like Don Shula’s by comparison.

6. with no game action to talk about these are the type of stories that we are going to be hearing about more and more…i for one want nothing to do with them…

7. I could see if he knew he was partying all night, doing drugs, whatever – if he 100% knew, maybe it would be appropriate. But this is absurd, his lifestyle may be different than others, but nothing illegal about it. Your employer has no right to talk to you about that kind of stuff, even if the NFL isn’t the traditional employer. O’Brien should be out on his butt!

8. LOL! Micheal Irvin of all people passing judgment onto others. WOW.

That’s “Mr.” Scumbag to you pal.

9. Michael Irvin? Color me skeptical. Not sure why we keep putting this guy in front of a microphone.

10. A personal conversation gets put on blast because a guy doesn’t like the message? This isn’t the NBA where the coach is a pincushion that has to take daily votes in his locker room to make sure he is liked by all the starters so he can keep his job past 1 season.

11. Maybe Hopkins has some issues, Not O’Brien fan but the fact he brought it up to Hopkins as bad sign for Hopkins, and the fact he was offended shows he is soft like Cup Cake KD.

12. Mentioning Hopkins with Hernandez is insane. Hernandez killed multiple people and was consistently in trouble. I’ve never heard Hopkins being in trouble (not a Texans fan though so I guess I could be wrong). If I was a Texans fan I would want O’Brien gone ASAP.

13. Tony Broome says: “And why hasn’t he been fired yet? He should have been fired on principle for such a horrific trade.”
    ————————–

What, just like what you said about the Jadeveon Clowney trade last year, too? Looks like O’Brien was right – Clowney disappeared most games and definitely not worth the $18-$20m that he’s demanding.

And how about the other big trade in 2019? Tunsil became a first-time Pro-Bowler under the Texans protecting and keeping Watson upright. Pretty smart move.

And seriously, you think a WR “offended” by a coach bringing up Aaron Hernandez in a conversation won’t have any other issues too? You think coaches like to treat football players like little sensitive babies all the time?

14. If true, it’s inexcusable…and explains the trade for a half bag of cheetos and spoiled meat.

It seems O’Brien is as adept at managing players as he is the clock.

15. tonyzendejas says: “O’Brien gets a pass on everything because he *looks* like a football coach. I can draw no other conclusion. Bad coach, bad GM, terrible relationships with players everywhere he goes, gets pounded by every decent team he plays, makes Marvin Lewis’ resume look like Don Shula’s by comparison.

And yet, he continues to *ascend* in stature within the NFL. It’s near criminal.”
    ————————-

Um, what?? He was 10-6, beat a very good Bills team in the playoffs before losing to the Chiefs. He was also 11-5 the previous year.

Why exactly are you firing a coach that has his team on an upswing? Seriously, grown up.

16. There’s obviously more to the story. It’s easy to point fingers and say O’Brien is a garbage GM, etc., but there’s a reason he had to settle for what he got for Hopkins.

17. 100% intended to deflect from the fact that he was already pushing to have his contract redone. Anybody that thinks a receiver is worth 20 million or more deserves to watch their team miss the playoffs and never win anything. Hate the coach all you want, but he had no other option but to trade him. You know if the eagles and patriots backed out immediately and all he had was a 2nd round pick and a washed up running back from a historically incompetent organization as his best offer, then he literally got all he could for him. Nobody was giving up a 1st rounder just to have to turn around and pay him that much, the 1st rounder on a rookie contract is too valuable if a receiver is eating up that much cap space.

18. I thought perhaps when “inmates run the prison” passed away the plantation mentality would be gone. Guess not.

19. This might be unpopular to some, but at the time O’Brien had the conversation with Hernandez it was before he ended up actually in trouble. Maybe he was seeing a similar pattern developing and maybe Hopkins was getting a little out of control and becoming a bit of a distraction. I could be wrong, but lets put it this way. Hopkins of course put up great numbers, but he was also known for having basically zero drops. This past season his drops were up and his completion percentage when he was targeted was down. Just saying we don’t know everything going on. O’Brien sees a lot more than us and it is his job to be a coach and player manager. So, year O’Brien deserves a lot of criticism on most thing, but I’m really not sure this is one of them.

20. I am getting the feeling the Browns have a challenger to ” The worst run team in sports” crown…

21. trubroncfan07 says:
    March 18, 2020 at 10:40 am

———————

So I baseless accusation gets meaning from you?

22. He’s upset with a conversation he had, face to face, with his coach….. some people just don’t want to hear the truth. NONE of this was public, I assume. Hopkins is at fault for any of this being out in the public and not remaining a private conversation between two people. If O’Brien had been spouting this stuff to other people Hopkins would have a reason to be upset but that is not the case, right?

23. Yeah I have mixed feelings on this one. On the one hand, I can understand: Young, single with lots of cash, in a big city and have the world at your fingertips. No one could have told me at 27 how to live my life, but on the other hand, my Dad did pull me aside a couple of times and check me on some shady stuff I was doing. Maybe Bill O’Brien was trying to play a bit of a paternal role and it wasn’t welcome.. I do know one thing though- I don’t know if he’s got lotsa baby mamas or not, but I do know that when you stop playing, if you do have lotsa baby mama drama, they don’t suddenly stop asking for child support if you’re not making as much money.

24. Bill O’Brien is 52-44.
    He’s made the post season 4 out of his 6 years (2-4 overall post season record)
    He’s only finished under .500 once (2017)

And he has a large following of haters that say he can’t coach. I’d suggest it’s more the hater fans have no idea what they are talking about. Which is usually the case for criticizing mobs. Their rage is more emotional than it is logical.

He’s a bad coach compared to whom? Bill Belichick? Bill Walsh?

25. trubroncfan07 says:
    March 18, 2020 at 10:40 am

How would you react to being associated with a triple murder we by your employer?

26. Lest not forget, Hopkins is the guy who smeared his and Mark Harrison’s feces all over a hotel room at the Combine. So before you’re quick to stick up for Hopkins here, go do your research into his past.

27. How did O’Brien equate Hopkins to Hernandez???? He merely stated that the last time he had a meeting like that one, it was with Hernandez. So what’s the big deal??
    Players are soooo sensitive to anything today! And Irvin always loves stirring the pot to keep his name in the spotlight.
    I mean, grow up, will ya!!!! These athletes are so coddled today that they look for the slightest reason to whine about someone. It’s why old time football players call them soft.
    Hopkins is a terrific receiver, and O’Brien is not a great coach, but if what O’Brien said to Hopkins upset him, I can see why O’Brien wanted to get rid of him.

28. Unbelievably immature on Hopkins part. Having a snippet from a private conversation like that is low-class. If Hopkins does not issue some kind of apology, then any lack of character will be on full-display.

If someone might be on the wrong path & the last time you spoke to someone early about the wrong-path, the situation turned super-ugly later……you wouldn’t say something?

The last time I confronted a guy about his skill-set, leadership qualities & his potential….as well as his drug use….he died from overdose 2 weeks later. Guess what….the next person I have this conversation with, will hear that.

That does not make me a bad guy.

29. I’m more interested in how many baby mommas and kids he has? Is he the next Antonio Cromartie?

30. This might be unpopular to some, but at the time O’Brien had the conversation with Hernandez it was before he ended up actually in trouble.

OK. So his sit-down talk doesn’t seem to have been very effective.

31. factschecker says:
    March 18, 2020 at 11:09 am
    Bill O’Brien is 52-44.
    He’s made the post season 4 out of his 6 years (2-4 overall post season record)
    He’s only finished under .500 once (2017)

He’s a bad coach compared to whom? Bill Belichick? Bill Walsh?

————-

People hate BO’B because he’s from the BB tree of coaches. That’s all. He’s actually a good coach (except for going for it vs the Chiefs last seasons playoff game).

As others said…more to the story.

32. I’d be careful judging this after the Pittsburgh/Tomlin/AB thing. Just cause Hopkins wasn’t on the blotter and docket every week doesn’t mean all’s well.

33. Maybe we don’t know Hopkins as well as we think we do. (That’s rhetorical, of course none of us know him, or anything more than a thin superficial sliver.)

The Eagles and Pats were in on the Hopkins conversation, and neither was willing to pay the meager sum the Cardinals did, for a top-5 talent. What does that tell you?

Everyone thought the Cardinals finally did something right. But if two teams with very good personnel approaches passed, maybe this is the bad one staying bad.

The further the lens zooms out on this, the less it looks like what everyone initially thought (that it was just an O’Brien screwup).

34. I am happy to have disliked him as a coach on the Patriots. This is the guy who got in a fight with Tom Brady. Brady hasn’t gotten into a fight with any other coach ever. Just this guy. That tells me everything I need to know.

35. This is the aspect of coaching that is like herding cats. The Aaron Hernandez comparison was over the top. But is it really so out of line to ask a player to keep baby mommas away from football drills/practices?

36. xbam says:

March 18, 2020 at 10:30 am

_________________

You choose to click on the link for this article, you then choose to comment on the story nobody forced you to. So if you don’t want anything to do with stories like this, then there’s a simple solution just don’t click on the story. It’s not hard to do

37. cjmcfootball says:
    March 18, 2020 at 11:26 am

OK. So his sit-down talk doesn’t seem to have been very effective.
    _______________________

Apparently not! ha. But also at that time Hernandez had already committed double murder and shot his friend in the face which O’Brien was not aware of like most people. Bottom line is I’m thinking he recognized some major red flags and probably was trying to help and Hopkins wasn’t having it.

38. factschecker says:

LOL! Micheal Irvin of all people passing judgment onto others. WOW.

That’s “Mr.” Scumbag to you pal.
    =============================================

He relayed a story Hopkins told him. What did he specifically say that you construed as “passing judgement”?

39. Do MFL players have the most fragile egos?
    ==========================================
    Nope, politicians definitely have them beat.

40. dean7979 says:

March 18, 2020 at 10:50 am

———————————

With THREE years left on his contract, I highly doubt any leverage exists for that. Now there may be “other issues” going on with him but they would have to be MAJOR issues to warrant trading away a top-3 receiver in the NFL for what they got.

41. All else aside, I understand the thing about having multiple children’s mothers around. It is one thing if a loving spouse shows up to support their man. But if women were coming around because they need their checks and have nothing else to occupy their time, I would put a stop to that as a COWORKER, probably before the boss was even aware. I don’t care if you are in the NFL or making sandwiches at Subway, that would make work unbearable

42. Give me a break. What a one-sided argument and article.
    Why don’t we discuss WHY the coach had to have a conversation with him?
    Why is that not mentioned?
    And your a grown man. If you did not like the way he positioned the discussion, then clearly tell him so.
    Pouting is not the way to answer it.
    And, IMHO having your “baby mommas” (especially if there are many) hang around the office is not really necessary and I don’t blame the coach to ask him no to.

43. I’ve dumped on Bill O’Brien a lot for being a lousy game manager (clock) and apparently a terrible GM, but I’m going to defend him with some “benefit of the doubt” here that this conversation has another side to it and it was more of an effort to steer Deandre away from what he saw as behavior that was taking away from the team. Context, context, context. A third hand report out of the mouth of Michael Irvin should be taken with 1/4 grain of salt.

44. charger383 says:
    March 18, 2020 at 11:25 am
    Irvin is offensive and should not be on TV
    ***********
    But he’s the president.

Oh you meant Irvin. At least he has experience in what he analyzes. If Trump is allowed on TV, anybody is.

45. When you try to run this Hopkins to the Cardinals trade in Madden, the Madden version of “Bill O’Brien” is smarter than the real Bill O’Brien and declines the trade. Let that sink in.

46. bvolke says:
    March 18, 2020 at 11:19 am
    How does Bill O’Brien still have a job?
    ———-
    Maybe you should check out his record?….smh…….

47. qdog112 says:
    March 18, 2020 at 11:57 am
    charger383 says:
    March 18, 2020 at 11:25 am
    Irvin is offensive and should not be on TV
    ***********
    But he’s the president.

——-
    WOW….you really need to take a deep breath….smh……..,

48. baldbuc says:
    March 18, 2020 at 11:58 am

————————-

Sounds like EA Sports needs to nerf his IQ rating

49. I would give ZERO credibility to what a certified clown like Irvin, would say. Having said that, perhaps a hilarious draft gaffe by the Patriots, who are deified on a daily basis here, could have served as a cautionary tale to any player.

50. tonyzendejas says:
    March 18, 2020 at 10:30 am

_____________________________________________________________________________
    Something very similar could be said about Michael Irvin. You just have to throw in drugs, affairs, racist comments and a lot of accusations of sexual assault.

51. davedsone says:
    March 18, 2020 at 11:36 am

====================================================================
    I wouldn’t put much into that. That was just some heated sideline stuff. I was curious about this incident and looked up the incident you were referring to. I then went onto NFL Gamepass and watched the interception replay. I am not a Tom Brady apologist, but he was just yelling at his receiver. Literally, it looks like he said, “You have to go get it!” And he was right to a point. But it was a dangerous throw. And the coaches didn’t call PI on the defensive back (as they should have).

52. On the surface, it looks like O’Brien didn’t play his cards well with Hopkins and practically gave him away in the trade. This scenario could certainly be true, but it takes two to tango and much of the information comes from, of all people, Michael Irvin. Consider the source and consider also that there are always two sides to every story. Give this story time to develop.

53. I think the guy that’s going to suffer the most is Deshaun Watson. The other stuff sounds more like just bad communication. Michael Irvin has zero credibility in this particular arena.

54. 6ringsandarapist says:
    March 18, 2020 at 10:57 am
    —————————————————-
    Yeah, because the Browns made the playoffs 4 of the past 5 years and had a winning record in five of the last six seasons…. Right?

55. “With THREE years left on his contract, I highly doubt any leverage exists for that.”

You can ignore him and force him to play out his contract, but how much effort are you gonna get? How much of a cancer is he gonna be in the locker room? How much senseless drama is he gonna create? Seems like for this trade to happen O’Brian had pretty good reason to believe it wasn’t in the best interest of the team to find out… and for the eagles and patriots to back out so quickly, they knew it wasn’t gonna go well either. Especially since a report came out saying he was gonna hold out if he didn’t get atleast 18-20/yr. No receiver is worth that money and you can’t pay him that much if you are also going to be paying a qb 30+ mil. If he wanted a super bowl he wouldn’t have chased money to Arizona.

56. O’Brian is all business, if Hopkins wants to be hand held he’s better off on a different team . It’s simple !

57. We don’t know what exactly was said between the two. I’m not a fan of Bill O’Brien, but wide receivers are emotional and selfish. Maybe O’Brien was trying to clue him in on the fact that he sees Hopkins setting himself up for a rough life after football because of the people around him and Hopkins is obviously too stupid to see it.

58. Regardless of reason Bill O’Brien is decimating this team. The Osweiller signing and having the deal pleading the Browns to take him off of their hands is a prime example and now this. David Johnson has better return to his pre-injury form for years because Hopkins should thrive for a decade in Arizona. If I’m a free agent I’d be willing to take less money to not play for Bill O’Brien. That fan at the half of the Broncos game last season may have been onto something. And as for that incident what kind of coach responds to a heckler? That’s how much O’Brien sucks.

59. Wow. I wouldn’t say dumpster fire yet but it certainly looks like it’s heading in that direction.