Sean Payton tests positive for COVID-19

Getty Images

The NFL is taking COVID-19 very seriously, and on Thursday an example of a positive COVID-19 test from within NFL community underscored that it should be.

Saints coach Sean Payton told ESPN that he has tested positive for the virus.

There’s no mention as to whether Payton, 56, is suffering from any symptoms. Many who have the virus have no symptoms, or mild ones.

Payton told ESPN that he came forward with the diagnosis to encourage people to “heed the warnings of government officials, stay inside, and behave responsibly.”

Amen to that. We wish Coach Payton a quick recovery, and we thank him for shining a light on the importance of doing whatever we can to limit the spread of the virus.

56 responses to “Sean Payton tests positive for COVID-19

1. tylawspick6 says:
    March 19, 2020 at 4:29 pm
    Wow, he’s 56, too.
    —————————————–

And your point?

For those 60-69 years it’s 3.6%, for 70 to 79 year olds it’s 8.0% and for those over 80 years of age it is 14.8%.

2. I’m hearing a lot of stories that regular Joe Blow can’t even get tested. Just the rich guys.

3. Some of these high $ sports figures are living in a different world than the rest of us and think it could never happen to them (Rudy G., Durant). Well think again!. I hope they all recover fully and learn that it can happen to anyone.

4. fishfan77 says:
    March 19, 2020 at 4:35 pm
    tylawspick6 says:
    March 19, 2020 at 4:29 pm
    Wow, he’s 56, too.
    —————————————–

And your point?

2 7 Rate This

———————

Correct. I said he’s 56. Can you read or no?

5. All the best, Mr. Payton. Any trolls on here relishing in this information should be ashamed. They won’t be, but they damn well should.

6. tylawspick6 says:
    March 19, 2020 at 4:43 pm
    fishfan77 says:
    March 19, 2020 at 4:35 pm
    tylawspick6 says:
    March 19, 2020 at 4:29 pm
    Wow, he’s 56, too.
    —————————————–

And your point?

——————

56 isn’t that old. I mean there are a lot of people in the nfl way more at risk. Your teams coach is pushing 70. That’s a lot more risky

7. The death rate starts to increase for those over 50 years of age. Those under 50 years who are infected have a death rate of 0.2-0.4%, while for those 50-59 years it’s 1.3%.

I turn 50 in two weeks. Should I go try to catch this disease now? The statistics show my likelihood of survival will be 3-5x’s greater if I catch it now vs the end of the month

8. “I’m hearing a lot of stories that regular Joe Blow can’t even get tested. Just the rich guys.”
    ___________

Essentially true. My city is just now setting up central places to do larger scale testing but wait times are measured in hours. Up until now you either needed a doctor’s note or to be admitted to the hospital. Actor Idris Elba announced he’d tested positive but had no symptoms–very few regular people who aren’t rich or famous can say that.

9. Don’t be dramatic people, he’s not gnna die. He’ll be fine in 3 days. You know, like a virus….

10. Too bad there isn’t information on how he might have contracted it? Did he travel in the last 30 days, does anyone in his circle of contacts currently have it, where might he have come across it? He will receive top notch medical care so likely he will fully recover but it helps to know how/where/from who he got it.

11. “…I turn 50 in two weeks. Should I go try to catch this disease now?…”

Good idea, plus there’s lots of open hospital beds now, when apparently there won’t be any later on…

12. wutangisforthechildren30 says:
    —–
    This is nothing like the flu. This is about 40-50 times more lethal than the flue. If you get it, you can get very, very sick.

He’ll need to be self-quarantined for a week, maybe two. Longer if his symptoms get bad.

13. According to NOLA.com, he had been to the Rebel Stakes (a horse race) on Saturday, got home and didn’t feel well Sunday, got tested Monday. Says he has no respiratory issues, but is in home quarantine.

Get well soon, Coach!

14. not sure why the famous are getting tested ? In los Angeles they wont even test you. They just tell you to stay home.

15. Sean Payton always looked like a coach that kept himself in good shape (healthy). Fingers crossed.

16. Nobody cares who you root for! You can give him well wishes without telling us who your team is, because no one cares. Thanks

17. Wow, he’s 56, too.’

I don’t think age is a factor in GEETING the virus – it only comes into play when it comes to your Immune systems ability to fight it

18. I’m not a Saints fan but I hope that Sean Payton makes a full recovery. He’s a good HC and he also seems like a good guy (I read Payton’s book awhile ago).

19. realityonetwo says:
    March 19, 2020 at 6:13 pm

A couple days of fever, a week of coughing, then he’ll be back to normal.
    ———————————————————————————-
    I hope you’re right,. but it doesn’t work like that for some people.

20. It’s good the rich and famous go to the front of the line for testing. Otherwise,they’d just keep doing their rich and famous schtick infecting their adoring public.

21. I don’t think it’s the rich and famous getting tested, I think it’s just the famous. I have some rich friends who have symptoms, but have been told they can’t be tested unless they are admitted to the hospital.

I bet the number of people in this country who have this is 1000 x the published numbers.

22. It makes me literally nauseous that there are people on here happy about someone getting a life threatening illness.

If this is how sports makes you. Your team can do without your support.

23. I am jealous of the kinship between the Saints and their city. I can’t think of another sports team so embedded in the fabric of the town, it is impossible to think of one and not the other. Their logo is the very symbol of the city!

Anyway it seems there are many other jealous fans here, whom have been turned bitter by their jealousy. Sad.

Good luck coach, get well soon!

24. carloswlassiter says:
    March 19, 2020 at 6:44 pm
    realityonetwo says:
    March 19, 2020 at 6:13 pm

A couple days of fever, a week of coughing, then he’ll be back to normal.
    ———————————————————————————-
    I hope you’re right,. but it doesn’t work like that for some people.

———————
    Same goes for the seasons flu. I’m not saying let’s not be cautious, but let’s also not fight people over toilet paper.

25. whatjusthapped says:
    March 19, 2020 at 5:28 pm
    Too bad there isn’t information on how he might have contracted it?
    ***************************************************
    One look at the “creatures” who turn up during Mardi Gras should give you a hint.

26. Well, that’s it. The NFL will get the Saints in the next SB for sure. They did for Katrina, and now will for Corona…

27. So how is it that the only people who are able to obtain a test are politicians, rich people and celebrities?

28. Jimmypinthe416 says:
    March 19, 2020 at 5:00 pm
    tylawspick6 says:
    March 19, 2020 at 4:43 pm
    fishfan77 says:
    March 19, 2020 at 4:35 pm
    tylawspick6 says:
    March 19, 2020 at 4:29 pm
    Wow, he’s 56, too.
    —————————————–

And your point?

——————

——–

“His” team? I have it on good authority that BB himself reads this site and is in the process of trading TyLawPick6 to the Lions to hang out with Matt Patricia. Ty will be shilling for Detroit soon.