Joe Montana thinks Patriots “made a mistake” letting Tom Brady go

Getty Images

Joe Montana’s part of the very small group of people who can truly understand the situation Tom Brady is in.

And having been through it himself, he still can’t believe the Patriots let Brady leave.

The Hall of Fame quarterback was as surprised as most people were when Brady signed with the Buccaneers, and can’t understand why the Patriots allowed it to happen. Unlike his departure from San Francisco (when the 49ers had Steve Young ready to take over), the Patriots have no apparent succession plan.

“I don’t know what’s going on inside there, but somebody made a mistake,” Montana told Jarrett Bell of USA Today. “I think when you look at the whole situation, you try to figure out how you want to get away from things that are there.

“I had a different story, where they had made a decision. He, obviously, they never would have gotten rid of. I still don’t understand how New England let him get away. I don’t understand that.”

Montana believes that landing with the Buccaneers satisfied an obvious desire to have better offensive personnel around Brady, as receivers Mike Evans and Chris Godwin are an upgrade over the guys he was throwing to in the best of times in New England.

He also thinks going from Bill Belichick to Bruce Arians will be a relief for Brady, saying:“Probably for the first time in a long time he’ll be having fun, if I understand what he’s been saying, or what I’ve been reading.”

That doesn’t mean it’s without pressure.

“What he wants is a bit more weapons,” Montana said. “But more weapons doesn’t always mean you’re going to continue to win. There were times we had a lot of weapons later in my career, but we had up and down years; Steve [Young] had up and down years with the same group. That’s not always the case that happens with it.

“I mean, you can go back at look at the Super Bowls that [the Patriots] won. They won a lot of close ones, but it’s still about the people, how they fit into that offensive system, how they’re doing in understanding each other. You go back and people probably can’t even remember my first two groups of receivers in those first two Super Bowls, other than Dwight [Clark].

“Sometimes you’ve got to be careful of what you wish for. Sometimes you get it and it becomes a little more pressure if they don’t perform. Those guys have put up some big numbers, but in a different style of offense. It’ll be interesting to see what they mix in with what they did in New England with what they’re going to do and continue to use and had success with in Tampa.”

But no matter what happens, it won’t be the same as anything that happened in New England. And like many of us, Montana is still trying to figure out how that came to be.

105 responses to “Joe Montana thinks Patriots “made a mistake” letting Tom Brady go

1. What Joe neglected to mention was that Niners also made a mistake back in the day. Steve Young choked away years of opportunities and only walked away with a single championship to his name despite having a great roster every year.

Had Montana still been with the Niners, odds are good they would have accomplished much more with all that talent.

2. Ya think! Kraft should have fired Billicheat and Kept Brady. Billicheat has a losing record without Brady. Hence why he will be exposed without him. Jimmy would not have won without Aikman.

3. I agree with Montana. This parting of ways between Brady and Belichick looks like an ego-driven split on both sides.

Each wants to prove they can win a championship without the other. Both will get their chance, and both will likely fail.

4. 50 million fully guaranteed reasons why brady left he cashed in at 43 the Pat’s were never going to consider that.

5. I am sure Joe thought the 49ers made a mistake when they moved on from him back in the day. Almost all things must end, except for the Patriots dynasty which is still in its infancy.

6. Belichick lets ’em go a year too early rather than a year too late and he’s usually right. There was early talk of another cheapy 1yr offer but Brady wanted at least 2yrs. Hate to see him go but at nearly 43 he’s prob only got one great year left – and even that’s at a greater injury risk.

7. Is it possible that Belichick out thunk himself? (yes grammar and spelling trolls I meant to say thunk)

8. Good to hear Joe‘s Rockingchair analysis! Joe had his glory before this thing called the, “salary cap“. For the first time in 20 years the patriots had to do a large salary dump. Most other teams go through this cycle much more frequently, but Bill Belichick ( a guy who more often than not had answers to stop Montana) somehow ( with Brady’s help) kept New England a top tier contender for two decades. With the other veteran players they were losing due to the cap issue, they are in full blown rebuilding mode. Tom doesn’t want to stay through that and you don’t rebuild with a 43 year old QB.
    Joe and Lane Johnson don’t understand how much fun that Tom and Patriot nation has for the past 20 years. Here is a prediction: The 2022 Patriots will have a better record than the 2022 Bucs. We are onto rebuilding with Bill!

9. I agree with Montana on the face of it, but as time goes by this breakup will make more sense as everyone understands the real need for Brady and Belichick to have new beginnings away from each other. It doesn’t detract from anything they achieved together or the profound respect they have for one another.

My prediction is that when both are on their retirement tours into old age, they’ll become much closer and let their guards down and you’ll see a much more normal and complimentary relationship. Fawning even.

10. I admit this is an uninformed opinion, but I think BB got tired of hearing how he wouldn’t have won all these super-bowls without TB, and how it was the two of them together that did it. I think he wanted TB gone so he could prove to the world it was really him and his coaching that won the championships. it was widely reported that all BB had to do was tell TB he wanted him back and kraft would pay whatever it took to make it happened but BB wouldn’t do it. I think this all came down to ego and professional jealousy. I have seen some Brady bashing in comments and I don’t see how anyone can pin this on him. good luck in Tampa bay and enjoy your last few years.

11. No shortage of opinions.

Half the guys here think Brady’s arm is shot, while HOF QB Montana thinks NE should have kept him.

12. I think the Bucs screwed up getting Tom Brady. He is 43!?. Jamaeis had an interception problem last year but the kid is 26. You have 10 more years with him if you can correct those bad decisions. He proved he was a playmaker. I don’t see TB doing better than Winston here. Its Ariens last hurrah…that’s all.

13. Montana is so wrong about this. The only thing he said right was his situation and Brady’s are different.
    Brady has not been playing at a high level for the last two years. Maybe it’s because of the talent around him and maybe it’s because he’s 43 years old.
    The Bucs are the ones who made the big mistake giving Brady all that money. The Bucs are not a Super Bowl caliber team and though the Bucs are making a lot of money buy selling a lot more tickets, in the end this will not be a happy ending for them.
    Meanwhile, the Patriots are doing what every team must do — rebuilding. I have more faith in Belichick getting the Patriots back on track than I do Brady getting the Bucs to the top.
    Montana was very fortunate that he played for Bill Walsh and had those great Niners teams he played on. It made him a lot better QB than he would have been had he not played there. To some degree, that’s true of Brady, too.
    I like both men and think they were both excellent QB’s. But Father Time is undefeated and he’s beating Tom Brady down now, just as he beat Joe Montana down.

14. Richard Nguyen says:
    March 26, 2020 at 7:32 am

==================

15. Well, which is it, Joe? BB didn’t make the mistake because NE will keep fielding a winning team.

Sort of funny to me that all of a sudden Licht is this great GM after being a bad one for so long, Arians, same thing. A glorified OC. Brady doesn’t need a bad GM or a glorified OC as a head coach that likes to run his mouth and look at himself in the mirror a lot.

Brady changed, Joe. He did.

There is pre and post Giselle. The ego got bigger and bigger and bigger and BB had to do a lot of “management” with said ego year to year. Once that built up an exploded in 2017, it was just too much to manage. Moss did it, Malcom Butler did it and then Brady did it.

Gronk, Amendola, Edelman, Brady, etc, have acted out in passive-aggressive fashion on social media for years now when it came time for all of them to get the money they felt they deserved.

BB did the right thing by ridding the team from the Elephant in The Room, which was Brady. Skipping OTAs, bad leadership, bad attitude, treating young teammates poorly, ignoring them, all as he himself started to trend downward in the process.

It was Brady’s choice and you can bet Giselle was in Tom’s ear the entire time.

16. mysterytonite says:
    March 26, 2020 at 8:21 am
    Your coach wasn’t a monontinous bore who sucked all the fun out of the game either.

5 13 Rate This

————————-

Yes, everyone hates to win all the time, averaging a SB appearance every other year for 20 years.

Just awfully boring.

17. fwippel says:
    March 26, 2020 at 7:44 am

18 10 Rate This

—————————-

Prediction: NE wins the division next year and gets to the AFC title game. NE’s QB play in 2020 will be better than it was in 2019.

18. I don’t understand rich people.

If I’m Robert Kraft, and all I have to do to cement my legacy as THE GREATEST NFL OWNER OF ALL TIME is overpay TOM FREAKIN BRADY the last 2-3 years of his career,

I just pull out my checkbook, write his name down next to a few extra zeroes and laugh…

And Anyone that can’t see that this was an insanely selfish move by Belichick to see if he can win without TB12 before he retires is blind.

19. Tom CHOSE to leave because BILL wouldn’t give him a 2 year deal, only a 1 year…. Brady decided to pack up his marbles & move on…..I guess we’ll soon see who made the biggest mistake…
    Now it’s Jarrett Stidham time in New England, & I for one am very excited to see him on the field…due to so much dead cap space & lack of salary cap room as well as a wicked tough schedule, i see a tough year for the Pats….9-10 wins & MAYBE a wild card….. but next year after he gets a year under his belt & the Pats have a ton of cap space coming to them, i believe things will really start to take shape & in turn take a huge step un them becoming another powerhouse team….. EXCITING TIMES AHEAD!!!! 1 year of patience is well with the reward that will start to follow & grow for years to come!!?
    BB is the best GM/COACH out there…. we are STILL blessed!!!!
    Go Pats & GO JARRETT!!!!!

20. How does Joe know the “professor” doesn’t have a plan? Knowing how much Belichick puts into the managing and coaching of his team, I have to believe he weighed everything (the salary cap, what Brady was asking, what he knows Brady can do at this point in his career, other options he thinks are available) before he made his decision to let Brady go.

21. The Pats CURRENTLY carry 13 million in dead cap space towards TB12. We couldn’t afford him. If NE gave him 25 million his 2020 cap hit would be anyone…anyone….38 million for 2020. We couldn’t afford him. I don’t think it had anything to do with anything other than finances. We pushed his cap debt down the road as far as we could push it. NE carries 23.9 million in dead cap space this year. Most of that is Brady (13 million) and AB (4.5 million)

Jarrett Stidhams cap hit for 2020 is $834,028. If NE wants to continue to compete for titles (and I BB fully intends to do just that.) this had to be done.

22. “Jamaeis had an interception problem last year but the kid is 26”
    Jamaeis has been in the NFL for five years. And 30 interceptions is not an “interception problem”. It is a train wreck.
    They are taking a chance on Brady who threw 24 TD and 8 Interceptions. Brady is sliding but will be throwing to a better receivers.
    Taking out Winston and putting Brady at his 2019 play level should yield 3-4 extra wins.

23. ragnarthegreat says:
    March 26, 2020 at 8:13 am

2 4 Rate This

—————————-

This is likely the closest to the truth. BB got tired of dealing with Moss, Welker, MAlcolm Butler, even Gronk.

Heck, Gronk screwed the team last year by not making his decision to retire on time. Some may have felt that was intentional on his way out the door. Brady then skipped OTAs and was waging his own passive-aggressive war against his own teammates.

I think this is why you see current Pats players publicly gushing over Stidham right now. That’s VERY unusual for Pats players to gloat over another player like that publicly.

The bottom line is, ego can kill a locker room along with bad attitudes. BB knows it and he knows how to eliminate it, even if it is Brady. I warned years and years ago Brady would be no exception when it came time, and here we are.

It’s why BB has unveiled the most structured competitive and successful sports canvas for his players to play on for 20 years. It works. Period. Brady isn’t as competitive as he used to be for a variety of reasons, and that’s what sealed his fate in NE. BB isn’t dumb.

Every single one of the key players in SB wins got big egos. Heck, I love Edelman, but how disappointing is it, he uses HGH to come back from his blown out ACL and then Brady pouts and whines like a baby as head of TB12, only to see buddy Josh

Basically. BB orchestrated a much needed divorce. I’ve said it for years going back to when Brady and McDainels would seemingly ruin games together, going back to SB 42 for example. Why did Brady look like Ryan Leaf in some of those games NE lost by scoring like 13 or 14 points all of a audden? Ego.

I think a fresh start, grooming and molding someone new with upside, is a win/win for the entire organization.

24. Yeah, They should have overpaid brady and cut a couple more good players on top of the ones we already lost. Pats Cap space is minimal after the draft pool. Somewhere around 15 Mil after they Cut Gostowski. Also, The Patriots and Brady really didn’t look like a playoff team in the second half of the season last year. It made Zero sense to overpay if you are looking to win in the future.This is what makes the Pats a great organization.

25. I think it’s great. I enjoyed watching Joe play for the Chiefs back then and I look forward to seeing some of Brady’s games.

26. nyneal says:
    March 26, 2020 at 8:41 am

5 2 Rate This

—————————–

You’re one of those rare, rational and logical Jets fans that really doesn’t exist.

Refreshing.

27. factschecker says:
    March 26, 2020 at 9:04 am

1 0 Rate This

————————–

That’s what I was saying going into this..BB knew Brady wanted years at this point, so the 38 million tied up to just 1 more year for Tom in 2020, blocking his “play until 45” obsession that became incredibly annoying to hear him say for like the last 4-5 years, over and over and over.

But, yeah, I figured BB would actually go lower than the 25 mil, to be honest. But, I think he knew he wouldn’t take the 1 year, so he felt good about offering the bloated 25 million.

And, it is bloated for a 43 year old, too. There is no way that Brady should be making more than he did the last 2 years with a downward trend in his play.

28. Brady, 2019: Most pass attempts in redzone. But 25th in redzone TD passes.

For years, Skip Bayless said NE could get three guys off a Dorchester street and make them capable receivers. Bayless doesn’t talk like that now. It’s Belichick’s fault. But Edelman made you almost immediately forget Walker.

‘In Bill We Trust’ is not going away. Nor should it.

29. 20 years is a long time to have to put up with BB’s rigid (and winning) management style. Even though Brady does his best to try to downplay the GOAT label, clearly he knows it’s an accurate one, and when continually ragged on by BB, it had to begin to grow old, e.g., the health product issues, training differences of opinion, BB’s ban on Brady’s health guru, etc. So I would imagine Tom just got to the point where it was all too burdensome to continue to deal with when he KNEW he was the best player ever to play the game. So it was time for an amicable divorce, more money, a better climate, and a new team and coach who WANTS him. AND is paying him closer to what he’s really worth, whether based on past performances or just the fact that he’s the GOAT and will fill seats at higher ticket prices. Good business decision for Tampa Bay, good personal decision for Brady. Will BB still continue to win with Stidham? Probably, and they may make the playoffs, but I doubt much more than that. Will the Bucs now turn into Super Bowl champs? Doubtful, but I have more faith in Brady than in BB at this point, at least for this year. We’ll see, hopefully. I know we all hope the games are played on schedule, so stay home people, and lets flatten that curve! Go TB (Tom Brady and Tampa Bay)…. Pats… I was only a Pats fan because of Brady, so don’t really care whether they win or lose any longer….

30. gllmiaspr says:
    March 26, 2020 at 9:06 am
    “Jamaeis had an interception problem last year but the kid is 26”

3 3 Rate This

————————

Brady may have only thrown 8 INTs, but his play and game management were horrible for his normal play level.

Brady essentially sabotaged the team once BB was forced to cut Antonio Brown, which came from Goodell’s office.

31. As a diehard patriots fan, losing tom sucks. Hell many people were pissed about Tommy being named the permanent 2001 starter once Drew was healthy. At the end of the day, 50 million guaranteed is a lot to swallow should Tom get hurt.

Maybe Tom has an amazing/MVP type season. All of us are rooting for him, and quietly rooting for Tampa. We have 100 million in CAP space in 2021, so 2020 is a wash to me and more of an evaluation with Stidham season.

32. tylawspick6 says:
    March 26, 2020 at 8:52 am
    —————————————————

Analysts who know a lot more than you basement dwelling “GMs” out there all agree that the the Bucs are laden with top talent on both sides of the ball, which Licht is responsible for. All they need is a better, more reliable QB than Winston was, and I don’t think there’s anyone who doesn’t think Brady is an upgrade there. As for Arians, he’s a two time Head Coach of the year (not OC of the year), who has received glowing feedback for his work with Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Andrew Luck & Carson Palmer, which is why he’s known around the league as THE Quarterback Whisperer.

33. Brady needs two more playoff wins to double Joe Montana, who is #2 all time. I hope he gets there.

34. @ factschecker

“The Pats CURRENTLY carry 13 million in dead cap space towards TB12. We couldn’t afford him. If NE gave him 25 million his 2020 cap hit would be anyone…anyone….38 million for 2020. We couldn’t afford him. I don’t think it had anything to do with anything other than finances. We pushed his cap debt down the road as far as we could push it. NE carries 23.9 million in dead cap space this year. Most of that is Brady (13 million) and AB (4.5 million)”

The Pats have always been able to pay less to keep guys around, and haven’t been in cap trouble for a long time. They could have figured out how to make it work the next two years, but this is a ego play by many parties.

Kraft, l am certain, wanted Brady to end his career as a Patriot, but decisions made the past 2 seasons, personnel-wise, have irked Brady and have stung the Pats (not to mention the loss to the Eagles 3 seasons ago). That, and the bitter playoff loss to Tennessee at Foxboro was the final nail in the coffin. Even with Brady, it was apparent the Pats are not continuing their run. Add the fact that KC will be the next dominant team, and Brady saw the writing on the wall.

Going to the NFC was the likeliest way for Brady to get back to the SB. Staying in New England wouldn’t have been achievable because KC would mop the floor with the Pats and any other AFC playoff team come playoff time. At least in Tampa he has a shot with a team that is well-coached and has the pieces in place to make a run. All Tampa needs, in my opinion, is a stud RB, and they will be competitive. The Tampa D and the WR’s are legit. Brady can run that offense with that schedule into the playoffs, and possibly get to the SB yet again to face the Chiefs.

35. Its amazing how the media/group-think shapes the narrative.

We all talk about how BB didn’t give Brady any weapons. This simply isn’t true. Remember early last season when Brady had these receivers:

1. Edelman
    2. Josh Gordon
    3. Antonio Brown
    4. Damaryius Thomas
    5. 1st rounder, N’Keal Harry

Perhaps they should have kept Thomas, but otherwise, the Patriots organization was TRYING to give Brady weapons. The offensive line was also amazing- but injury and medical issues changed that. BB brought in Sanu to help but he didn’t work out due to injury. But the effort was made. Suddenly, star offensive players are gone (Gronk) or older (Edelman) and they are low on cap space and draft picks.

Im honestly not sure what motivated Brady to leave. It certainly can’t be because the Pats didn’t try to give him weapons. They did. Maybe he just wanted a change of scenery? Maybe he was sick of taking a pay cut when other mediocre QB are getting paid big money. Maybe he wanted a more pleasant atmosphere? Perhaps he was sick of the friction between the Pats organization and Guerrero? Perhaps Brady looked at the Pats 2020 roster and new they would stink (despite BB’s best efforts) and he didn’t want to finish his career on a bad team?

Only Brady has the answers. Ultimately, I am happy for him and wish him the very best.

Go Pats!

36. It’s the simplest reason in the world.
    Money.
    Tom is guaranteed $50-60 million the next 2 years, with better receivers to throw to.
    The Patriots simply could not responsibly pay that and get him who he wanted to throw to.

37. Thank GOD we still have BB…..
    Love Brady but last year his body language & overall pouting attitude really disappointed me as a HUGE fan of his…..
    I wish him luck in Tampa but must admit it was time for a change….
    VERY EXCITED about seeing Jarrett Stidham as the new leader of the Patriots…. yeah, between cap hell & a really tough schedule I expect to see BOTH some growing pains & great potential toward his growth & development…..i expect Bill to sign a great BLOCKING TE & push the run game this year….. keep the reigns tight on Stidham, slowly build his confidence as he experiences pro level real time football & have the D keep the games winnable while Jarrett manages & doesn’t just lose them, until Bill gets that much needed cap relief & can truly start building a team around him & allowing him to be more himself & truly excel as the Patriots new franchise QB…. EXCITING TIMES AHEAD!!!!!
    GO PATS!!!!!

38. YouCanHaveAnyOpinionYouWantAsLongAsItsTheSameAsPFT says:
    March 26, 2020 at 8:50 am

Richard Nguyen says:
    March 26, 2020 at 7:32 am

==================

Montana played 2 seasons after he left. The Niners moved on at the right time. You can argue Young should have won a few rings, and thats fair. But arguing Montana would have won several more rings with the Niners just isnt reality. Youngs first year as a starter they got absolutely smoked by the Cowboys (who won the SB). The next year they won the SB. Are you seriously going to argue that they would have beaten that Cowboys team with Montana? Not a chance. So at best they win the same number of rings if they kept Montana. At worst, they would not have won the 94 season with a beat of, just hanging on Montana.

===========================

Richard Nguyen, your recollection of the Niners of the early 90s must be seriously hazy. Steve Young played out of him mind from 1991–when he was League MVP as technically a backup–until the end of his career. The San Francisco 49ers won exactly the Super Bowls that they could have with Young. In 1992 they got “upset” by the Cowboys in the NFC Championship game, but as the world soon discovered, that Dallas team was simply a better squad; faster and more physical. Young didn’t choke anything away.

In 1993, the Niners AGAIN got smoked by the Cowboys, this time in Dallas, and this time it was no upset. Everybody knew that Dallas was an all-time team.

In 1994, Eddie DeBartolo used the new free agency rules to his benefit and shot his wad spending money to overhaul the defense. They won the Super Bowl. Steve Young was Super Bowl MVP.

In 1995, the Niners lost Ricky Watters in free agency, and didn’t replace him. They gave up a ton of draft capital to take JJ Stokes in the first round of the draft. The left the running game to a career backup named Derek Loville. It failed miserably. Stokes was a bust. They had no running game. Young got murdered.

I love Joe Montana; he’s probably still my favorite-ever quarterback. But there is simply no way he would’ve won any more Super Bowls in San Fran after he got back from his injury.

39. Its not really a mistake. He will win some games in TB but the reality of it is he wasn’t going to win any more superbowls in New England or Tampa.

40. lgw91s says:
    March 26, 2020 at 9:55 am
    It’s the simplest reason in the world.
    Money.
    —————

I think that’s a good part of it, but I also think Belichick thinks he’s too old, especially for the money. When he left, it immediately confirmed a lot of the friction stories we’ve heard. It’s not hard to understand. He was a kid when they started winning, and now is arguably the GOAT. For better for worse (or both), Bill never treated him any differently.

41. If Tom Brady had been drafted with Dan Marino he would have been out in three years.

Dan Marino is the REAL GOAT.

42. At this point with diminished returns yes they should have let him retire as a Patriot. Kraft should have allowed BB to trade TB12 at the timeframe Garo got traded. Imagine the boatload of draft picks…

So you say but the Pats won another SB with TB12, but remember Rams scored all of 3 points that SB snoozefest…that great D carried the team, not TB12. Debatable but IMO Garo would have managed games just as well and would also have won the ring. The KC divisional game was probably the toughest test.

43. BB will still probably be the best coach and will keep NE in the hunt but they will never have a run like the BB/Brady era – historic

44. lgw91s says:
    March 26, 2020 at 9:55 am
    It’s the simplest reason in the world.
    Money.

7 0 Rate This

———————-

Right, so if Brady played in an environment KNOWING how BB builds teams with a SB appearance on average, every other year, for 20 years, Brady knows how it’s done.

Or, Brady thinks it was MOSTLY him as to why the team was successful. If you go with this sentiment here, this means everything that made Brady who he is, the organization, the oppoortunity, BB taking heat for not re-starting Bledsoe in 2001, BB grooming Brady along, BB starting to build the team around offense in 2007 per Brady’s own requests and desires, only to see Brady crap himself in 2 SBs to the Giants, leading to BB needing to lit a fire under Brady to CHANGE how he preferred to run that offense (tons of shotgun, 50 pass attempts per game, predictability, the run game an afterthought), all the things that he DID NOT do under Weis from 2001-2004, and we saw how BB took back control of the direction of how the team was built.

Once Brady returned to glory from 2014-2018, so to speak, with the D being built first and foremost in 2018 to protect an aging QB, a 1st rd pick RB taken for the first time since 2006 in Michel, run the ball, protect your aging QB who can’t move as well, needs playaction badly to perform at a high level, etc, Brady didn’t like this.

He did when he’s winning a SB, but he doesn’t like the idea that it’s not him vs Atlanta leading a team back from 28-3, where could argue it was REALLY HIM.

Ego.

I am sure people outside NE’s fanbase find this fascinating as they struggle to find a legit owner, GM, Coach and franchise QB.

Don’t look now, but BB is set embark on a new challenge, one that includes the high likelihood that another Brady from 2001-2006, a JImmyG, etc, will probably emerge.

People forget Matt Cassel hadn’t played in a decade, literally 10 years in high school for a full 4 qtrs of a games and NE went 11-5. Why? BB. Cassel was a Pro Bowl QB in 2008 with 20 TDs and 10 INTs. He was again in 2010 under Weis in KC. Give the right tools to a coachable QB, and watch him go. IF coachable.

That’s the key.

Brady isn’t coachable anymore. The blow ups on the sidelines the last 2 years alone vs Detroit and Jax with the pouting and undressing of teammates on the sidelines. BB didn’t miss that. He saw it.

45. They didn’t let him go, he told them he was leaving.

Brady, who everyone believes is going to fit right in with Arians, took a look at a 6-time championship team, coaching staff and ownership and said “I don’t think I can work with you guys anymore”. Whatever his reasons, they certainly had to do with Brady feeling he wasn’t listened to and/or appreciated.

Let’s fast-forward to November when the Bucs are trying to make a run, tensions are high and Arians tells Brady the way he wants it done, which is different from how Brady wants it done.

You think Brady is going to say “okay coach, you know what you’re doing”. Or will he say “I didn’t take this crap from a six-time super bowl winning coach, what makes you think I’m gonna take it from you?”

I think the Bucs thought they were buying a little piece of the New England Patriots but instead they only got Tom Brady. They’re not the same thing.

46. revren10 says:
    March 26, 2020 at 10:55 am
    should’ve kept jimmy

1 2 Rate This

——————————

Glad I could help there.

47. allthingshudson says:
    March 26, 2020 at 10:37 am

4 1 Rate This

———————-

Of course. It’s the greatest run in sports history. They actually asked a rival team (the Jets) to seek out a commissioner that would be willing to frame the team in order to try to weaken them. Or, steal their coaches by sneaking behind the Pats’ backs again like the Jets did in January of 1997 with Parcells, with a wink-wink from 345 Park Ave wanting the NY teams to drive revenue out of that market.

That’s how great the Kraft/BB/Brady trio was. Everyone knew it wasn’t going to slow down after the 2004 title, their 3rd in 4 years. The Pats were about to be really bad for business and it’s true. The domination, not seeing a full return on the 2011 CBA, the ratings drops, etc.

But, that doesn’t mean NE can’t have a top 10 QB and very good teams moving forward with how BB runs it.

Don’t look now, but how BB is doing it right now, will be BETTER structured than how he did it coming off the 2011 Lockout when the team was super young and lacked a base to transition from the Old Guard.

48. smarter than you says:
    March 26, 2020 at 10:50 am

Did he just throw shade on Jerry Rice?
    ===========================================
    No. Rice wasn’t in the league yet for the 49ers 1st 2 super bowls.

49. Right, so TB spent 20 years, taking discount after discount, and he wasn’t having fun??? Sorry, that doesn’t make sense.

50. allthingshudson says:
    March 26, 2020 at 10:37 am
    =====================================================================
    Belichick had a losing record before Brady started. In fact Belichick’s record with the Pats was 5-11 just the season before. Belichick was fired as the Browns coach due to his losing there. How do people just ignore this? ALL of BB’s success as a head coach is tied to one player, Brady.

51. I think for his relationship with the Patriots it would have been way better for him to retire a Patriot, but I don’t think it was really possible. The Patriots couldn’t really make another legitimate run with a $30 million QB on the roster for 2 years and Brady knew that. He had to go somewhere else to have a chance to win and for the Patriots the rebuilding process starts, and with a young QB they will have a chance to keep enough of the team together to be competitive.

52. revren10 says:
    March 26, 2020 at 10:55 am
    should’ve kept jimmy

———————

There is still a very good chance that Jimmy G never wins a Super Bowl in his career. So I will take Brady’s 2018 over Jimmy G.

53. mumfio says:
    March 26, 2020 at 11:55 am
    allthingshudson says:
    March 26, 2020 at 10:37 am
    =====================================================================

———

Belichick left the Browns when they moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens. He had just taken the Browns to the playoffs and beat the Patriots.

54. Jameis is going to be a lot better from now on. He had Lasik surgery. He’s been playing without contacts and couldn’t see down the field. Whoever gets him will be getting a steal. Belichick wouldn’t have let Brady leave if he thought he could get to the SB this year with him. The Pats can’t, not with the receivers they have. So, the choice became pay Brady $30 Million or re-tool and fight another day.

55. revren10 says:
    March 26, 2020 at 10:55 am
    should’ve kept jimmy
    ——
    Game managers like Jimmy are a dime a dozen.

Don’t know what the Patriots have in Stidham but there’s only one way to find out. Hot take: Tampa Bay Tommy has played his last playoff game of his career.

56. Pats should bring in Winston and add him to the QB competition. If it is financially feasible, what do they have to lose?

57. No, Brady and Tampa made a mistake. This will not end well in Tampa.
    Tampa will regret letting Winston go. He had to put up 30 points a game to win.
    Tommy Terrific, on the other hand, had trouble putting up 17 points a game down the stretch.
    This is going to be good, Tommy has weapons now. What excuses will you make for him this year?

58. All of Belichick’s “greatness” is built on that he didn’t have to overpay players for an offense that played better than Peyton’s offense in playoff, better than Brees’ offense in playoff, better than Rodgers’ offense in playoff.

Without such a QB who can turn slot receivers into playmakers, All of his “greatness” those idiots give to him by pulling their underwear up to their noses, will gone.

This doesn’t change after Brady.

SUPER CHEAP Belichick will be exposed, badly.

59. Belichick left the Browns when they moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens. He had just taken the Browns to the playoff
    ——————————

There were two 3-13 teams in the division.

Belichick was a “I can’t win if opponent scores 20 points” kind of coach until Brady.

60. another Brady from 2001-2006
    ————————-
    tylawspick6,

You are delusional as hell.

Brady was able to score 380 points with slot receiver between 2001 and 2006. Not Brees, not Rodgers could pull something like that.

61. GoodellMustGo says:
    March 26, 2020 at 12:52 pm
    revren10 says:
    March 26, 2020 at 10:55 am
    should’ve kept jimmy
    ——
    Game managers like Jimmy are a dime a dozen.

1 1 Rate This

—————————

LOL

If that’s true, then how and why on earth have we seen so many QB busts in the NFL in the last 20 years>

There are some teams that can’t even produce a good game manager for literally 20 years. And, if they do? They gotta pay em 20 million per year.

Andy Dalton, Fitxzpatrick, Tannehill, Cousins, Darnold, etc, etc, etc, The list goes on and on and on.

62. Interesting, listening to Scott Zolak on his radio show last week – a caller asked something I was thinking last season “Was Brady not throwing to open receivers because, while they were open, were not in the spot they were supposed to be?” Zolak responded with a terse “Yup’.

He was rigid like that and would freeze guys out. Now some of the young kids like NKeal Harry and Jakobi Myers may not be walking on egg shells any longer, knowing they are one drop away from not seeing the ball.

63. Without each other, BB and Brady each have a ring, or maybe two. With each other, they have six. Same idea with Lombardi/Starr, Noll/Bradshaw, Walsh/Montana, Brown/Graham, Landry/Staubach, Shula/Griese. They all needed each other. It is not either/or, its both/and. Very simple. I’ll be rooting for both of them to continue to compete at a high level.

64. STOP MAKING SENSE!

bullcharger says:
    March 26, 2020 at 12:15 pm

65. William Lee says:
    March 26, 2020 at 1:11 pm
    another Brady from 2001-2006
    ————————-
    tylawspick6,

You are delusional as hell.

0 1 Rate This

————————–

And you know what? He was a BETTER QB in 2006 for example with Reche Caldwell as his #1 WR than he was last year with Edelman for over 1000 yards receiving, Sanu, Dorsett, Meyers and Harry and a full stable of quality RBs. Yep.

2006 Brady was brilliant. Go look at the pass he throw to Caldwell to ice the Chargers up the sideline late in the divisional rd playoff game. Last year? He doesn’t make that pass or even choose to. He would have ignored the wide open option because it wasn’t a Certified Binky. Got me?

YOU are delusional. Brady changed when he met Giselle. It all correlates to that.

The change in BB giving Brady what he wanted for weapons in 2007, etc. Did you know Brady blew up on BB after the 2006 season for dealing Deion Branch for the 1st rd pick.

Brady was right in being annoyed by that as it wasn’t the plan. Branch was outrageous with his demands and BB had to do that.

What does BB do? He decides to play into the rule changes on offense and build offense first to maximize scoring with his HOF QB.

Makes sense.

But, what happened? Brady became a stat hound like Peyton Manning, but then developed this atrocious habits seen in the 2007 and 2011 title games, where both the Defenses in those years won those games to even get them into those SBs. Someone kidnapped the real Tom Brady.

That’s not made up. That’s exactly what happened.

Only when BB drafted Garoppolo did the REAL Brady return, and that’s me admitting Brady should have been a little frurstrated in 2013 when Gronk took the cheapshot for TJ Ward, and only had Edelman and 3 rookie WRs at once, all 3 who couldn’t stick in the NFL.

There is Good/Great Brady and Bad Brady. The 2019 was BAD Brady.

Thanks.

66. PAUL SOUSA says:
    March 26, 2020 at 1:33 pm

0 1 Rate This

———————–

That’s Baloney. Brady was late with the ball and had some awful throws with bad footwork overall.

Part of that was Newhouse at LT, but that got cleared up with about 7 games to go. Why did they look so well managed vs Buffalo in Week 16 and then Brady looked lost vs garbage Miami the next week? LOL

And, you can’t tell me Dorsett all of a sudden got worse and didn’t know the playbook anymore in year 3 in the system. Laughable.

We’ve also seen that problem in OTHER seasons prior to 2018. Hogan didn’t know where to be in 2018? Sure about that?

The two rookies, sure. There will always be some of those moments in NE’s complex system. It has no bearing on the truth.

I think there was a play this year with Dorsett in the back of the end zone, wide open, streaking across the bacl of the end zone, but Brady was so late, he ended up airmailing it realizing he was so late with it, he didn’t want it picked underneath like that pass he threw vs Washington in November of 2011 when he threw that floater where Underwood was wide open. This was the game where Brady had to be undressed by Bill O’Brien on the sidelines where you can read their lips. Brady says “he was open!”….The key word there is “WAS”. That’s what set O’brien off. Brady was very late with it. Underwood was right where he should have been as the easy read and score. I could have made the easy pass and TD.

At some point it’s not as complex as Brady or dorky Zolak thinks it is.

67. SWFLPC.INC says:
    March 26, 2020 at 12:29 pm
    mumfio says:
    March 26, 2020 at 11:55 am
    allthingshudson says:
    March 26, 2020 at 10:37 am
    =====================================================================

———

4 0 Rate This

—————————-

He also had Vinny Testaverde as a Pro Bowl QB in 1996. Testavderde was terrible in TB, good in Cleveland under BB and then really did well after that as an above average game manager that Parcells/BB wanted with the Jets in 1999 until Vinny blew out his Achilles in Week 1.

68. gysot says:
    March 26, 2020 at 11:25 am
    pats fans should listen when the goat speaks

3 9 Rate This

———————-

When BB speaks, I listen all the time. I like to learn from geniuses so I can improve myself in business.

Thanks!

69. The change in BB giving Brady what he wanted for weapons in 2007,
    ———————————–
    tylawspick6

You kind are part of the reasons Brady left.

Brady was able to score 380 with slot receivers like Troy Brown, Deion Branch and Reche Caldwell since 2001, so it is no surprise at all that he could score 440+ points with better squad and rule changes since 2007.

To be great, Belichick needs a QB who can turn slot receivers into playmakers, OK? nothing can that. You think it is Belichick, the coach who never talk to his QB and WR on sidelines?

BTW, if it was Belichick, he also had to develop WR too, didn’t he? did you hear any ex Pats receivers saying positively about him?

70. wolverineinnc says:
    March 26, 2020 at 9:33 am

10 17 Rate This

————————-

1. Poor Tommy! What an abused victim. Tell me, how many QBs have a workout complex on their team’s property to profit from? Hmm?

2. You do realize BB drafted and developed Brady and was under intense heat for not allowing Bledsoe to get his job back, right?

3. You do realize that Brady was more of a game manager style QB from 2001-2004 than what he turned into under BB/McDaniels, right? The stats only jumped when the GOAT got toys.

4. You do realize BB’s track record with developing QBs he intends to start, right?

5. Why would NE win SBs with game manager Brady doing about a 2:1 TD/INT ratio then, but can’t do it with Stidham now?

71. To those morons:

(you are a moron because you can’t name a single thing that other coaches couldn’t do with Brady.)
    #1, Just imagine super cheap Belichick to build an offense without a QB who has the skills to turn slot receivers into playmakers.
    #2, Just imagine super cheap Belichick to build an offense without a QB who needs only 3 seconds in pocket.
    #3, Just imagine that Belichick’s defense doesn’t get help from offense anymore, like no more scoring 17 points in first half, like no more playing only 27 minutes, like no more good field positions (Brady always got couple of first downs even when he struggled).
    #4, Just imagine that in those close games when he needs his QB to score a TD or a FG in last 2 minutes.

Those are the problems for every coach, but not for Belichick, because he had Tom Brady.

Now no QB or receiver or defenders will take paycut to join Pats, and Belichick couldn’t do even with paycut from Brady.

Belichick will be exposed, and morons like you will be exposed too.

72. Why would NE win SBs with game manager Brady doing about a 2:1 TD/INT ratio then, but can’t do it with Stidham now?
    ——————————–
    tylawspick6

You are truly clueless.

What Stidham and Bledsoe couldn’t do is keeping the chain alive.

Without deep threats, QB has no choice but move the chains little by little, meaning, he has to get lot of first downs to score.

This, needs tons of talents from neck up, has little to do with talents from neck down, and has nothing to do with QBR.

73. Brady is GOAT. He is also prone to his arrogant moments.

Like the time he scoffed at his offense scoring 17 points before SB42. “17 points? Hahaha. That’s it?”

That part I won’t miss about Tampa Bay Tommy.

74. tylawspick6 says:
    March 26, 2020 at 1:29 pm
    GoodellMustGo says:
    March 26, 2020 at 12:52 pm
    revren10 says:
    March 26, 2020 at 10:55 am
    should’ve kept jimmy
    ——
    Game managers like Jimmy are a dime a dozen.

1 1 Rate This

—————————

LOL

——
    None of those guys were ever put in a role to be a game manager. Perhaps they should have.

I bet they all could have equal or better performances than Jimmy did in the Super Bowl.

75. tylawspick6 says:

March 26, 2020 at 11:32 am

revren10 says:
    March 26, 2020 at 10:55 am
    should’ve kept jimmy

1 2 Rate This

——————————

Glad I could help there.

76. so lets see jimmy has gone to a super bowl Stidham has done nothing, nice try though thanks for playing
    ———
    Jimmy’s team went to a Super Bowl. Garoppolo threw 8 passes in the conference championship game. Eight. I wouldn’t say he took them there.

77. William Lee says:
    March 26, 2020 at 1:58 pm
    The change in BB giving Brady what he wanted for weapons in 2007,
    ———————————–
    tylawspick6

You kind are part of the reasons Brady left.

1 0 Rate This

—————————

I don’t think throwing a football to Wes Welker who caught 67 balls from Cleo Lemon in 2006 is something Brady magically invented.

BB traded for Welker. No one had any idea who that was outside of Miami fans or people who pay attention in the AFC.

BB just knew Brady was better than Lemon.

Are you honestly this stupid?

Brady was not a Peyton Manning out of the gate. He was a raw developmental QB who worked hard and took BB’s coaching to propel himself into a great QB.

If what you are saying is true, Brady would have immediately been the starter, not drafted in the 6th rd and had gaudy stats very early on in his career.

Also, someone like Troy Brown was an awesome little WR who essentially allowed Brady a slot WR option, before it was really even a permananent fixture in any offense in the NFL before.

Heck, James White gets open very quickly in the flat as well.

Heck, BB drafted a QB out of Kent St in 2009 and converted him to a WR. That’s how good BB’s coaching is. BB did this 7th rd pick Cassel OVENIGHT out of necessity, too. These aren’t mirages. It’s also a testament to Edelman’s hard work. You just think BB has nothing to do with taking UDFAs, 6 or 7th rd picks and they just magically become HOF players in your little child-like mind, huh?

How many pairs of Brady Underoos do you own? lol

I’ve forgotten more about the NFL than you could even dream to begin to remember, or learn.

78. Stidham could very well be a better QB than Garoppolo when it’s all said and done, mainly because of WHERE each QB is.
    ___________________________________

How far would Jimmy G be able to go with SUPER CHEAP Belichick?

What part of it don’t you get? there is a reason that Belichick was “I can’t win if opponents score 20 or more points”, until Brady.

BTW, in 1994, there were 2 3-13 teams in the division, that is why he offense could score 340 points and make playoff.

79. revren10 says:
    March 26, 2020 at 2:19 pm
    tylawspick6 says:

March 26, 2020 at 11:32 am

revren10 says:
    March 26, 2020 at 10:55 am
    should’ve kept jimmy

1 2 Rate This

——————————

Glad I could help there.

1 1 Rate This

——————————

Umm, BB worked DAILY with JimmyG. In his first FULL season there he played better in SD than Brady did in NE.

BB has also spent EVERYDAY with Stidham, probably to the dejection of Brady himself knowing BB was about to replace him.

Brady got that treatment in 2001 on the fly, as did Cassel in 2008. BB was willing to see Brady retire going into the 2017 season.

Do the math, kiddie.’

Thanks for attempting to play. lol

80. GoodellMustGo says:
    March 26, 2020 at 2:16 pm
    tylawspick6 says:
    March 26, 2020 at 1:29 pm
    GoodellMustGo says:
    March 26, 2020 at 12:52 pm
    revren10 says:
    March 26, 2020 at 10:55 am
    should’ve kept jimmy
    ——
    Game managers like Jimmy are a dime a dozen.

1 1 Rate This

—————————

LOL

——

1 1 Rate This

————————-

You don’t Mark Sanchez with 20 handoffs per game, if not more, or Lamar Jackson or Tannehill simply handing off to Hreny last year weren’t game managers?

Of course they were!

It’s a run-first, ol focused/good defense teambuild.

Why do you think Lamar Jackson froze up in the postseason, besides the possible Blue Tooth cheating, when trailing to Tenn? He’s a game manager!

They’d get up 14 or 17-0 on teams and just run a nd run and run and run clock in the process. The D was good, they get the ball back, and they run some more.

When that gets exposed this season without the Bluetooth or just teams all having a full season of film on that, he will get worse as a QB.

Game managers have a feel for the game and are not one dimensional. Tannehill HAD to have that run game to function. He’s a classic game manager type.

If you run 20+ times per game, your QB is a game manager.

81. mumfio says:
    March 26, 2020 at 11:43 am
    smarter than you says:
    March 26, 2020 at 10:50 am

Did he just throw shade on Jerry Rice?
    ===========================================
    No. Rice wasn’t in the league yet for the 49ers 1st 2 super bowls
    _________

That’s exactly it. He said there were times when they had more talent but didn’t win.

82. GoodellMustGo says:
    March 26, 2020 at 2:14 pm
    Brady is GOAT. He is also prone to his arrogant moments.

That part I won’t miss about Tampa Bay Tommy.

3 0 Rate This

————————-

Exactly. Or his buddy Welker mocking stupid Rex Ryan and the JEts afd giving them all the fuel.

Or, dare I say it, the “check the rule book” line to Harbaugh which was the impetus of the Deflategate framejob. I am sure BB didn’t like that turn of events. It all worked out, minus us knowing Goodell will do anything to cheat the Pats on the whims of other owners, but still.

Thank you for being honest. BB has spent almost 15 years trying keep Brady’s ego in check and was masterful overall doing it.

83. tylawspick6 says:
    March 26, 2020 at 1:53 pm
    gysot says:
    March 26, 2020 at 11:25 am
    pats fans should listen when the goat speaks

3 9 Rate This

———————-

Thanks!

———

So how do you feel about BB putting the Patriots in Cap Hell?

84. GoodellMustGo says:

March 26, 2020 at 2:25 pm

———

Jimmy threw passes in the super bowl while Stidham throws pick six, yup they should’ve kept jimmy. Nice try though thanks for playing

85. tylawspick6

You can put long essay on, however long it is, but you can’t change this :

To be “great”, Belichick needs a QB who can turn slot receivers into big time playmakers.

Peyton couldn’t do it; Brees couldn’t do it; Rodgers couldn’t do it.

You want to insist it is the coach who never talk to his QB and WR on sideline. Are you claiming that receivers like Deion Branch, Reche Caldwell, Wes Welker, James White are smarter than Peyton, Brees and Rodgers?

Don’t be ridiculous, OK?

BTW, ask yourself do you rather see your offense moving 50 yards with 6 passes, or moving 50 yards with 2 passes? get a clue what is easy and what is not easy?

86. William Lee says:
    March 26, 2020 at 3:01 pm
    tylawspick6

You can put long essay on, however long it is, but you can’t change this :

Peyton couldn’t do it; Brees couldn’t do it; Rodgers couldn’t do it.

Don’t be ridiculous, OK?

0 2 Rate This

———————–

Do you have some kind of a learning diability? Peyton couldn’t throw to Brandon Stokely underneath? Or Welker in Denver? What are you talking about here?

The slot WR pass is the easiest pass in football. This is like saying a swing pass to an RB is a tough pass to make.

Are you absolutely clueless.

Just because BB traded for Welker and expanded the role of a slot WR doesn’t mean it was a difficult challenge for Brady,. It just means you’re running the ball less with less use of a blocking TE and/or an RB.

Again, you are clueless.

This is why Brady and Welker choked together in SBs or why Mankins collapsed as a great regular season Guard but a poor performer in postseasn.

If your QB is in the shotgun for 50 passes in a game, over and over, and over in the same spot in that shotgun, it’s very easy for a quality defense to defend.

You’re welcome.

Probability: If Braady handed it off to BJGE 4 or 5 more times in the 4th qtr of SB46, NE wins SB 46.

Instead, the Safety to start the game out of outright laziness and not wanting to move his feet and move left to hit a wide open Welker, the INT to start the 1st qtr to a hobbled Gronk downfield, or the high pass to Welkie, NE wins SB 46. If, literally one of those 3 god awful bad decision/poor throw plays did not happen, NE wins SB 46.

Brady literally gifted two SB wins the Giants over an obsession with the shotgun, ignoring a run game and predictability with his binkies.

Yep.

87. docsmith54 says:
    March 26, 2020 at 9:30 am
    ….
    —————————————————————–

The one person who listens to Skip Bayless has been found.

88. revren10 says:
    March 26, 2020 at 2:59 pm
    GoodellMustGo says:

March 26, 2020 at 2:25 pm

———

——-
    I was questioning the comment that Jimmy took SF to the Super Bowl. More like he was along for the ride as would any QB throwing 8 passes in the conference championship game.

And who cares about the pick 6. Brady had plenty of games his first year that made me hope Bledsoe would be back sooner than later.

89. tylawspick6 says:
    March 26, 2020 at 2:37 pm
    GoodellMustGo says:
    March 26, 2020 at 2:14 pm
    Brady is GOAT. He is also prone to his arrogant moments.

That part I won’t miss about Tampa Bay Tommy.

3 0 Rate This

————————-

———
    Yep both of those were really stupid comments too. So unnecessary. I agree if Brady didn’t run his mouth then no Deflategate.

90. I thought the Packers made a mistake for letting Favre go…until A-Rod lit it up. I guess the Pats like Stidham.

91. The Patriots may not be better off without Brady this year, but they had to cut the cord, or they would be going through this crap every year for the next three seasons. Brady wouldn’t have been any more inclined to walk away next than this year. The time had come.

92. They didn’t “let Brady go.” He left of his own free will. Had he wanted to stay, there would have been a deal.