Buccaneers announce Tom Brady will wear No. 12

Getty Images

People started buying Tom Brady jerseys before knowing what the Buccaneers’ uniforms will look like in 2020 and before Brady’s number was officially set, but most of them likely assumed that they’d be getting a No. 12 in the mail at some point.

The Buccaneers made that official on Tuesday. The team announced Brady will wear the same number he wore over two decades with the Patriots and that wide receiver Chris Godwin will switch to No. 14 after wearing No. 12 in his first three seasons.

Godwin said he would defer to Brady when it came to making the call on who got to wear No. 12. According to the team, he was not compensated for making the switch.

Cornerback John Franklin wore No. 14 for one game last season because he was expected to see time at receiver, but is back to No. 43. Quarterbacks Vinny Testaverde, Brad Johnson and Ryan Fitzpatrick are the most notable No. 14s in team history.

72 responses to “Buccaneers announce Tom Brady will wear No. 12

1. At least he didn’t demand a retired number like Peyton Manning did in Denver. I lost some respect for him when he did that.

2. After all these years, it would be as strange to see Brady in any number other than 12 as it would be to see another Patriots player in a number 12 uniform.

3. He will be knocked out by week 5. 43 year old legs can’t shuffle away from pressure…..ask Vinny Testaverdi-

4. I am fascinated to see how TB12 plays out in Tampa. As a Colts fan, obviously I harbor some latent jealousy/dislike for the guy – because he is unquestionably the GOAT and dominated an era where Peyton/Luck were our QBs. I find myself kind of quietly rooting for him to succeed – but not too much. Either way, we are about to watch history in Tampa Bay.

5. vikings2102 says:
    Brad Johnson led them to their Super Bowl!! Retire #14!! #SKOL
    ==

It was the Bucs’ only Lombardi Trophy, which is still twice as many as currently sits in the Vikings’ empty trophy case!! #SKOL

6. Dear salty mountain of hate, please don’t forget the Patriots threads – your saline is our joy!!

7. I knew Godwin would have no say so in this. He was told to give it up. Numbers are issued by the team. I am sure he got a nice email. Telling him of the number change.

8. I’ll take these kinds of posts over another covid-19 related article any damn day. Never wanted to go back to normal so bad – but it’s gnna be a while. Sigh

9. Like we thought he’d wear 13. The chance of Brady wearing something other than 12 was about as good as me buying a Honduh or a toyoduh.

10. Good on Godwin giving it to Brady out of respect and for no compensation, I hope Brady returns the gesture with sizable donation to the Chris Godwin Foundation that helps out both at risk kids and animals or to a different charity of Godwin’s choosing.

11. I am just happy to see the same patriots ‘fans’ are following Brady everywhere he goes. That is a true lifetime dedication.

12. As expected. Props to Godwin for giving it up without expecting anything, but I’m sure Brady is going to hook him up. Forget the compensation, they want that SB bling.

13. streetyson says:
    March 31, 2020 at 2:42 pm
    _______

This guy over here fishing. No wonder no one likes Pats fans.

14. a football player, by any other number, is still a football player.
    He should’ve chosen #1, because thats what he is, as football players go

15. This reminds me how Peyton Manning asked for,and got, the Broncos retired #18. I always liked Manning but I thought that sucked that he just had to have it. The counter is that at least the retired player (forgotten already) got some recognition but they could just as easily put his name in the press release with Peyton declining the number.

16. Thank God that this is no longer an issue. Ive really been worried about this since he signed. Phew!

17. I think it would have been cool if he had gone to 10. TB10 still works, and reportedly 10 was the number he actually wanted when he entered the league. It would be convenient to refer to his time with the Pats as “TB12” and his time after as “TB10.” Maybe that’s just me though.

18. LandOf10000MethLabs says:
    March 31, 2020 at 2:20 pm

_________________________________________________________________

Research before sharing inaccurate information. First off, Frank Tripucka said he’d allow Denver un-retire 18 and give it to Manning BEFORE Manning was even signed.

Second, Manning didn’t “demand” anything. In fact, he called Frank and said he didn’t want his number and thought it should stay retired and he’d wear another number. Frank insisted Manning take the number and asked him to win a Superbowl while wearing it. Check your facts before making an opinion and/or sharing it.

19. If I was Brady I would have asked for the number 2012 like the Rush album. Then again in 2012 he lost the Superbowl to Eli, so maybe I wouldn’t.

20. dregonspengler says:
    March 31, 2020 at 2:38 pm
    vikings2102 says:
    Brad Johnson led them to their Super Bowl!! Retire #14!! #SKOL
    ==

43 5 Rate This
    —————————————————————————————-
    I’m confused by this post. 43 people gave thumbs up to a post that says the Bucs have two times the number of Lombardi trophies as the Vikings, who have zero. Thus, 2 X 0 = 1?

21. bonecity7 says:
    I’m confused by this post.
    ==

I suspect you’re easily confused by any number of things. It was intended as a sarcastic response to another poster’s hypocrisy, not a math lesson to be taken seriously.

22. I never thought I’d see a bigger egomaniac narcissist on the planet than lebron James but Brady has skyrocketed past him in that category. Hopefully his hair plugs fall apart in his helmet during one of those 95 degree 95 percent humidity days in tampa and they fall out all over the field when he takes off his helmet. That would be the most hilarious moment in sports history

23. I can’t follow the logic of talking about former #14s and not #12s in a story about the number 12

24. thermanmerman99 says:
    March 31, 2020 at 4:50 pm

Jealousy is a horrible thing

25. jackedupboonie says:
    March 31, 2020 at 2:32 pm
    —————————————————
    Knocked out by week 5? Tell me again how many games Brady played last season. You can use your fingers and toes to count.

26. He’ll retire before the 2021 season even happens since the 2020 season is a bust. And that will be much better than seeing him in another uniform.

27. I’m so relieved. I’ve lost sleep, paced circles around my dining table, and stress-eaten one pound bags of Skittles worrying whether or not he’d wear #12 in Tampa. This has been worse than wondering about the latest British royal baby name. I didn’t think it would ever be over. Hallelujah! Peace at last!!!

28. Tom Brady ain’t cheap. They might agree that he willingly gave up #12 but something tells me there may have been a liile paper bag passed between them. Use your imagination.

29. LandOf10000MethLabs says:
    March 31, 2020 at 2:20 pm

he called the guy and told him he didn’t want to wear it. Tripucka told him to. Told him to win a SB.

So I guess it’s no reason to lose respect for him.

30. It would have been cooler for Brady if he came in and said, “who cares what number I wear, I’m not going to take 12 away from a teammate.”

Godwin took the high road here for the sake of team chemestry, but I’d bet that on some level he resents having to lick the boots of Tom Brady.

31. patriotmaleorgy says:
    March 31, 2020 at 2:24 pm
    Brady will be benched or “hurt” before the season is finished.
    __________________________________________________________________

LOL, Salty Dog- you dream. Brady can throw, and he’s got receivers to throw to. My GUESS is he will light it up. They will adjust with some short and middle routes and things will be fine. Brady wouldn’t go there without knowing what he was getting into and how he would be used. Tampa Bay wouldn’t want him if they weren’t going to adjust.

32. thermanmerman99 says:
    March 31, 2020 at 4:50 pm
    __________________________________________________________________

Clearly you haven’t looked in the mirror. And since you are a Bills fan, I get it that you are super duper salty, but you should REJOICE that he left. You may have a shot this year. Probably the Dolphins will beat you to it though. The Bills have a habit of folding late.

33. “That would be the most hilarious moment in sports history”

It wouldn’t even begin to be close to how funny your Colts “rusty gate” play that the Pats blew up

34. Nice move and gesture by Chris, classy statement as well. I would think Tom will donate $ towards a foundation of choice as others would say, win Win all around. NIce feel good story, even if it’s only about a Jersey #, but I’ll take it over any National news right now.

35. This is such a bad way For Tom to say goodbye to the NE fans. But it is obvious he couldn’t take another year of BB yelling at him knowing that he tried to trade him.

36. Remember when the Ravens upgraded to Elvis Grbac? Brady and the Bucs will wish he stayed in NE. And once Brady start ls yelling at his teammates, it won’t go over well. He has no history with that team. It will not be a good season for Brady.

37. New England should not only retire the Jersey number (12) but the position as well. No one should ever play QB for the Patriots again.

38. Good. Now bring back creamsicle. If he’s washed up, I need the throwback film in 10 years to have him languishing in creamsicle.

39. Whatever design firm that came up with the Bucs’ uniform needs to be fired. Tampa, for gods’ sake, can you come up with a decent looking uniform?

40. If he wasn’t a receiver he would have kept it or been compensated by a new car level gift. Since he is a receiver he is planting the seed of good karma and will receive more sweet passes from TB.

41. Matthew Giarmo says:
    April 1, 2020 at 3:39 am
    The most interesting question is who will be wearing #12 in New England?

—-