Ravens’ Mark Andrews: Hayden Hurst trade was “a shock”

Getty Images

Ravens tight end Mark Andrews wasn’t happy to see fellow tight end Hayden Hurst traded from Baltimore to Atlanta last month.

Andrews told the Baltimore Sun that Hurst is “one of my best friends,” and that he didn’t want to see him go.

“I think, first of all, it was kind of a shock for me,” Andrews said. “I’m sad I won’t be able to have him next year. I won’t be able to talk to him next year as much. But I’m also excited for him. I’m excited for him to get more of an opportunity with Atlanta. I know that he’s going to thrive there. He’s a great player. I love him to death. But it’s exciting for him as well. But personally, I’m sad.”

The Ravens chose Hurst in the first round and Andrews in the third round of the 2018 NFL draft, and Hurst became expendable in part because Andrews played so well last year, catching 64 passes for 852 yards and 10 touchdowns, and making the Pro Bowl. The trade happened in part because the Ravens think so highly of Andrews, but that doesn’t mean Andrews is glad it happened.

17 responses to “Ravens’ Mark Andrews: Hayden Hurst trade was “a shock”

1. Another example of draft status meaning squat. 3rd rounder outperformed a 1st rounder again. NFL scouts prove again that they really don’t know much more than fans.

2. I honestly thought the Falcons came calling and the offer was too good comparatively because with how much the Ravens used multiple TEs last year, Hurst was still going to get a decent share of targets (he did finish 3rd in yds for them last year behind Andrews and Brown). But apparently Hurst asked DeCosta to see if he could find a trade partner and they obliged. He should do well as the #1 in Atlanta.

3. skinsdiehard says:
    April 1, 2020 at 5:15 am
    ————-

I would disagree. Look at almost any draft year, and you will find an overwhelming amount of players that reached pro bowls were drafted in the first round. And most are in the top 16 picks. You get a few late round and undrafted players making pro bowls, but the numbers don’t lie.

4. skinsdiehard says:
    April 1, 2020 at 5:15 am
    ===================
    I agree. All the proof you really need is 2 guys named Brady and Brown. Both 6th round draft picks, Brady became the GOAT QB, Antonio Brown was on a path for at least a place in the top 5 all time receivers.

5. I was a fan and excited for Hurst initially. He never really seemed to find his niche. When he let Lamar’s TD catch literally bounce off his numbers in the Tennessee playoff game I had a suspicion he’d be expendable. Remember they also have Boyle who is one of the best blocking tight ends in the league. Overloaded at TE meant they had trade capital and Hurst was the guy without a role.

6. Shows what happens when a promising rookie gets hurt early and misses valuable time. He gets a fresh start at zero with Atlanta and you will hear about him.

7. skinsdiehard says:
    April 1, 2020 at 5:15 am
    _______

Perhaps you ought to say, “Ravens GM found a 1st round talent in the 3rd, proving he knows more than fans”.

50% of first round picks are busts. You need at-bats to maximize upside and success. You wouldn’t just take a consensus 3rd rounder in the 1st, because it would eliminate an at-bat, thus lowering your upside. Instead, you would take a swing on a guy in the 1st, but make sure you get your guy in the 3rd.

8. Kolo Jezdec says:
    April 1, 2020 at 7:27 am
    skinsdiehard says:
    April 1, 2020 at 5:15 am
    ===================

AB wasn’t draft high was his own fault. AB cause he’s own mess.

9. Hurst will be a good bet in Fantasy – he will get a ton of targets and has the speed and hands to make the most of them

10. Mark Andrews is concerned that he might have to block more in-line now instead of being spread wide lol. But anyways the Ravens are fine at TE and Andrews won’t have to modify his game. Nick Boyle is an elite blocking TE and actually has decent hands. I’m sure they will draft another TE at some point to fill that #3 spot as TE is critical in that system. Most don’t realize but Hurst was basically their #3 TE and they managed to get a 2nd rounder out of him.

11. Kolo Jezdec says:
    April 1, 2020 at 7:27 am
    skinsdiehard says:
    April 1, 2020 at 5:15 am
    ===================
    __________________
    Two anomalies aren’t “all the proof you really need”. I agree with the comment above that uses the number of pro-bowlers from first round compared to later rounds. Doing a quick search there were 78 non-special team pro bowlers in 2019 of which 45 came from the first round. More than half came from round 1 alone. That tells me the scouts are doing a decent job.

12. I think he will do well in Atlanta. He’s a more skilled player than Hooper who’s basically a big lumbering guy who’s a good safety valve. It’s not really his fault Andrews had a huge breakout. Again, I don’t like taking a TE in round 1 because so few starters in the league were taken in the first, learning curve is steep and expectations are too high with using a first on them.

13. Smart move by Atlanta IMO. Weak TE class in the draft, Hooper’s price tag was too much for their cap situation. Get a replacement on his rookie deal for a second round pick.