Shaq Lawson: I’m bringing a lot of juice to Miami

Getty Images

The Dolphins moved quickly in free agency to secure players who can boost their defense and defensive end Shaq Lawson was one of the first ones to agree to a deal.

Lawson was a 2016 first-round pick in Buffalo, but the Bills opted not to pick up their option on his contract for the 2020 season after he produced 10 sacks in his first three seasons. Lawson set a new career high with 6.5 sacks before jumping to his new AFC East squad.

Lawson believes the uptick in 2019 is a sign of things to come in Miami.

“I’m at a point of my career where I’m just only getting better — making strides each year,” Lawson said, via Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald. “Each year I’ve gotten better, improved. Getting more comfortable in the game. I feel like these next coming years, I’ve got a lot of juice. I’ve got a lot to bring to the table, and I showed glimpses of it last year with only just playing on the amount of snaps I was playing. I’m just ready to go get it and just [try] to be a double-digit sack guy.”

Emmanuel Ogbah and Kyle Van Noy are also Dolphins newcomers who are expected to add to a pass rush that Lawson thinks can be “special” once they’re all on the field together. Lawson’s ability to keep growing will be vital to that effort.

17 responses to “Shaq Lawson: I’m bringing a lot of juice to Miami

1. Lazy, not real smart. Showed up when it was time to get paid. Huge bust before that. The Bills are in the market for a DE. They, Beane, McDermott and Frasier know defense very well. If he was “the guy”, they never would have let him out of the building. They say they don’t like to see good players leave the building. They let him leave. He played well, not fantastic last season, but other than that, he was a huge disappointment. Build on last season? What took you so long?

2. Step one for success in Miami: fire Flores. Step two: fire Grier. Step three: hire Jim Harbaugh.

3. It will be interesting if his new found ability was based on it being a contract year or not. I bet he has a good year this year, but then he will slack off till it’s contract time again!
    It’s amazing how good players become when it’s a contract year!!!

4. igotgamenj says:
    April 4, 2020 at 9:06 am
    Give this team two years and they should be really good
    ———————-
    No, they won’t. Unless they get rid of Flores.

5. patriotmaleorgy says:
    April 4, 2020 at 9:16 am
    igotgamenj says:
    April 4, 2020 at 9:06 am
    Give this team two years and they should be really good
    ———————-
    No, they won’t. Unless they get rid of Flores.

Sounds like someone is a little scared of the new Miami regime, or upset Flores left.

6. That time of year again, where non-Patriots AFC East fanbases start getting their little heads full of big ideas about “THIS IS OUR YEAR.”

This year is even cuter because they think Tom Brady was the only reason their teams have been losers since the Clinton administration.

7. Honestly, how does this happen?

What a country. Fall flat on your face as a Rex Ryan bust and then a team races to sign you for some strange reason, only to then act like you are not a bust who never made a play in 4 years.

This is like Gettleman trading for Leonard Williams. Why? Do you not watch the sport you are actually employed in?

8. dolphinsaredisrespected says:
    April 4, 2020 at 9:28 am
    patriotmaleorgy says:
    April 4, 2020 at 9:16 am
    igotgamenj says:
    April 4, 2020 at 9:06 am
    Give this team two years and they should be really good
    ———————-
    No, they won’t. Unless they get rid of Flores.

—————-
    I’m a Dolphins fan bud. So hiring a guy from a known failed coaching tree who is your divisional rival is a good idea? And then the guy leads the Dolphins to their 3rd worst season ever in the NFL.

9. As Howard Cosell used to say “Miami may have the oranges, but Buffalo has the juice”