Getty Images

Tua Tagovailoa‘s virtual Pro Day workouts has generated plenty of buzz. But most in the media have overlooked one undeniable fact regarding the session, which occurred at the D1 Training facility, reportedly in Nashville: It violated the current Tennessee “stay at home” order.

Executive Order 22, as amended by Executive Order 23, make the situation as clear as it can be. D1 Training should have been closed. Neither Tua nor anyone else should have been there. It’s that simple, and it’s that clear. (It’s also clear from the video at the six-feet distancing requirement wasn’t being followed.)

These orders were put in place to limit the spread of the coronavirus. No matter how important it is to Tua to ensure that his draft stock doesn’t plummet amid rumors surely aimed at sparking a slide (right into the laps of one of the teams spreading the rumors, undoubtedly), there was nothing “essential” about his workout.

As to the various “stay at home” orders that currently are in place in most American states and communities, there is no NFL exception or pro athlete exception or “this stuff doesn’t apply to me” exception. The rules apply to everyone, and Tua and those who facilitated the workout are behaving as if they’re above the rules — sending a very bad message to anyone who is looking for any excuse possible to justify ignoring the rules.

So what Tua did is no different than what Dak Prescott and Dez Bryant have done. Indeed, it was a source attempting to defend Dak and Dez with a #whataboutism-style argument who put the dynamics of the Tua workout on our radar screen.

The fact that someone connected to Dak and Dez would point to someone else violating stay at home orders proves the point. With prominent athletes shrugging at these rules, others (including other prominent athletes) can point to those prominent athletes when justifying their own non-compliance with important restrictions aimed at saving lives.

And it would be nice if others in the media realized these obvious problems, too. Instead, they’re tweeting the video and basically saying nothing more than, “Cool throw, dude.”

50 responses to “Yes, Tua Tagovailoa’s virtual Pro Day workout violated Tennessee stay at home order

1. Mike all butt hurt Americans are doing American things and not doing everything daddy government says to a T. Anyways, I hope Tua goes in top 10. Think he definitely will. As for being a flop, depends on the team that takes him.

2. Many Dolphin fans already have Tua in the teams ring of honor.

Hopefully they do not draft him.

3. You see, Joe it’s quite simple… Tua’s virtual pro day workout violated “stay at home” orders because he was in fact not at home. If he had been home, it would not have violated the “stay at home” order because he would have been home.

4. In this thread: People ignoring externalities and making it abundantly clear that they do not care about how their actions affect others

5. Here’s my question: if one person can spread this virus rapidly nationwide, to the point where hospitals get overwhelmed, and we can only curb this thing by having stay at home orders and social distancing, what the hell are we supposed to do until we get a mass-produced vaccine?

I don’t see this coronavirus going away anytime soon. It will always be circulating around the globe at some capacity. And therefore, I don’t see social distancing ending anytime soon either. Maybe for a year plus.

6. The NFL needs to set an example here. If they want to be taken seriously about discipline etc. Off the Cleveland he goes.

7. No big deal for one group but that’s precisely the problem that might set back things for millions.

8. MortimerInMiami says:
    April 10, 2020 at 11:08 am
    Many Dolphin fans already have Tua in the teams ring of honor.

Hopefully they do not draft him
    ——————————
    As they do with Flores as well.

9. So let me get this straight. If you all had millions of dollars and your career on the line, none of you would violate the stay at home rule to do a workout? It is my honor to be in a forum with such a such a principled group of gentlemen.

10. are all football players so inherently stupid?
    so Tua’s career is more important to him than public health policies?
    When you act as a criminal you should be treated as such regardless if you are an athlete.

11. chickensalad43 says:
    April 10, 2020 at 11:34 am
    ————————————————————————-
    If we had enough testing the sick could be singled out for for quarantine and the rest of us could go about our lives to some more of a reasonable degree…

12. He should of sold some beers on the side. Then he would of been an essential business.

13. All these people saying they should arrest Tua need to be realistic…I see people all over the place breaking the stay at home rules…I guarantee none of the dozens of people I see walking along the road on the rail trail or throwing the football in the park are million dollar athletes either…I have a job that is considered essential…I see a lot of people who have no reason to be outside while I’m going to and from work…I can’t say I blame Tua for trying to do something to help better his life. The draft will dramatically alter his life, I’m sure he would gladly pay the fine to try and give himself a better future…

14. Lift the stay at home orders it’s impossible to enforce. Restart the economy. 99.999999% of us will be fine.

15. Maybe we should arrest the 2 to 3 thousand people a day going to get their starbucks, I mean how essential is that. Tua working out is super essential for his future job. I see people out all over the place, hell there is an elementary school in California that is still pen defying the Governors orders should we go arrest all of them also. I find it laughable that you think that only athletes are breaking these rules.

16. “So let me get this straight. If you all had millions of dollars and your career on the line, none of you would violate the stay at home rule to do a workout? ”

So it’s OK for rich people to put lives at risk? SMH

17. This is going to extremes. I think the two or three people involved in the workout will be fine. But hey, anything to generate outrage 🙄

18. Remember when there were only 15 people infected?

We’re up over a half a million infected and close to 20,000 dead and climbing.

Yes, going out in public, even if it’s with a few people, is just plain wrong.

19. There’s a difference between rules, laws, and guidelines. I haven’t seen a law yet.

20. Stay at home orders are based on guesswork models and no one even knows if they are really helping. Big gamble to destroy the economy over guesswork. I stand with Tua. Sweden is not shutting down and they are doing ok…hmmmm

21. I’m not going to pass judgement but Dak, Dez, and Tau are setting a very poor example for people of color who, based on the numbers, are contracting a disproportionate amount of COVID-19 victims in this current pandemic the world is experiencing

22. Well, if he does catch the virus he will get no sympathy from me. There are a lot of morons out there. Just ask the spring breakers who got it. He probably won’t get it, but he is taking a chance with his career he won’t get it.Again, athletes are entitled morons anyway.

23. radar8 says:
    April 10, 2020 at 3:19 pm
    _______
    So it’s OK for rich people to put lives at risk? SMH
    _______

Reading is fundamental.

Millions *On The Line*

Now….answer the question?

24. “He should of sold some beers on the side. Then he would of been an essential business.”

Please learn the difference between “should of, would of” and “should’ve, would’ve.”

25. Not concerned he violated the stay at home order. I’m more concerned with the video itself. He didn’t look great at all. Very average throwing.

26. I was at my primary care provider yesterday. He told me that at the Northern California hospital he works at they have been instructed to list every death that had a fever as covid. Could’ve been a normal flu, pneumonia, or anything else but is to be listed as covid. Gotta get those numbers up to get federal money.

27. I live in Tennessee and that staying home order has been violated all over the damn place and nobody listen or watching or even given a dam

28. I wonder if there are any draft eligible players who have contracted the virus. I would think if any of them have it, they would try to keep it quiet so they don’t hurt their draft status.

29. The only rules that apply to these guys are governed by the refs. In the instant case, no yellow flag was thrown.

30. thelinestartsheretokissmyass says:
    April 10, 2020 at 6:01 pm
    ==============
    So, your primary care provider apparently not only violates the law, and the ethics of his profession, by committing fraud in lying about cause of death, but he is also regularly seeing patients while also providing treatment to people who have positive tests for COVID 19? And he discusses such things with a patient? Listing the cause of death as COVID 19 for a patient who was not admitted with a positive test for the virus would be an obvious red flag.

I would suggest that, after reporting this attempt by the hospital and the doctors who work there to defraud insurance companies and the government, you also find a new physician.

31. People (at least in my state) are allowed to go outside and exercise. People are allowed to go get food, or even just a cup of coffee. The owner of a business, like an exercise facility, can open his doors, he just can’t be open for business.

The amazing thing to me is that sports media is specifically exempted from the rules and sportswriters are allowed to have business as usual, even when the sports they cover are ordered shut for the duration . . .

32. kmgpop says:
    April 10, 2020 at 7:10 pm
    *******************************************************************
    I think if any of them had it and have recovered, it would help their draft status, not hurt it.

33. I was at my primary care provider yesterday. He told me that at the Northern California hospital he works at they have been instructed to list every death that had a fever as covid. Could’ve been a normal flu, pneumonia, or anything else but is to be listed as covid. Gotta get those numbers up to get federal money.

Well, we trust you, the guy we don’t know that clearly has an agenda making a totally unverifiable statement.

34. omniscient48 says:
    April 10, 2020 at 8:14 pm
    kmgpop says:
    April 10, 2020 at 7:10 pm
    *******************************************************************
    ===============
    Maybe not. Recent studies from China and Europe have found that many people who recover from COVID 19 have permanent damage to their lungs, and also possibly the heart and liver. These studies generally look at people who had very severe cases of the virus, cases requiring hospitalization and constant medical care for several days or weeks. However, some believe that even minor cases may do some damage.

35. He should have done the workout and just made some copies and sent them to NFL teams and not allowed it to go public. He is a moron