DeAndre Hopkins: I had “no relationship” with Bill O’Brien

Getty Images

Shortly after word of the deal sending wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins from the Texans to the Cardinals became public, Michael Irvin said on ESPN that Hopkins was upset about a meeting with O’Brien that included references to Aaron Hernandez and perceived displeasure with aspects of Hopkins’ personal life.

Hopkins didn’t deny the meeting took place, but downplayed the significance of the conversation after Irvin went public. While he didn’t share any more details with Greg Bishop of Sports Illustrated, Hopkins added he won’t “let the judgment of other people dictate the reality of my life” and it seems he felt O’Brien had done little to forge a bond with him while he was in Houston.

“There was no relationship,” Hopkins said. “Make sure you put that in there. There’s not a lot to speak about.”

Hopkins said that he spoke to his family about a desire to start fresh with a new team during the 2019 season and that factored into his decision to ask the team for more money. Hopkins said that he knew “that asking for a little raise would lead to the outcome that I got, which is the outcome that I wanted.”

Hopkins’ desire for a new deal wasn’t just a ploy to get out of Houston, but it got the job done and leaves him feeling that “change is good” as he starts life with his new team.

51 responses to “DeAndre Hopkins: I had “no relationship” with Bill O’Brien

1. I think BB needs to send his “How To Deal With Millennials” in the workplace book to both Patricia and Bill O’Brien.

Man, it’s tough out there working with them. Delusional, entitled, whiny, lazy, etc. Just literally the opposite of my grandparents, the greatest generation.

2. So a player with hard so thick and unrestrained outside of his helmet that can blind another player is wanting us to feel his pain for his lack of a relationship with higher ups?

He also wants us to believe that he didn’t ask for a pay raise in order to seek a trade but that is exactly what he did do and is happy for it?

I’ve never liked Hopkins as a player – he always seemed to be too much cupcake and not enough filling. He seemed like a high maintenance diva.

I hope he fails wherever he went to. He’s so important to me that I don’t recall where he ended up.

3. O’Brien is a cancer for that franchise. Ownership is even worse for allowing it. I feel for the city of Houston. They have this guy running their NFL franchise into the ground, they also find out that their MLB team is a fraud, etc.

4. Sure, Tylawspick it’s always the players never the wannabe coach. The coach thinks he’s BB and he’s not. Just like Patricia and the rest of the failures he’s produced who none of them, ever, anywhere have won anything without TB.

5. “I think BB needs to send his “How To Deal With Millennials” in the workplace book to both Patricia and Bill O’Brien.”

More like the book “Coaching and GM’ing for Dummies”.

6. It’s obvious Hopkins felt blind-sided and undercut by Irvin’s decision to publicly relate their conversation, but it was fairly silly of him to deny there was any serious turbulence between he and O’Brien once that came to light as anyone who’s even remotely intuitive can now see that trade had a large personal aspect to it and did not simply entail football and money components.

7. Somebody has to win the games. A receiver runs all over and catches 12 balls for 150 yards but the team still loses….is that receiver necessary?

8. Ohhhh Booo Hooo!!!!!
    Did the multimillionaire primadonna not get tucked in at night and patted on the head??

He’s your coach, not your dad.

9. I would not believe anything Michael Irving said, all that comes out him is BS. ESPN should fire him.

10. I don’t think anyone is missing Hopkins in Houston much. If they do they aren’t saying anything

11. So, Hopkins is saying he played O’Brien like a fiddle.

O’Brien could have just responded with “no”.

Any competent GM would have handled things differently.

12. It’s sad because Houston had A LOT of potential as a competitor, but it will never grow under O’Brien.

13. These diva receivers forget that they are JUST employees and nothing more. All of them can and will be replaced. I’m so tired of loudmouths in the media taking shots at coaches when the news comes out the moves made good ones.
    Let this be a lesson to all those talking heads…

14. I’m curious how much effort Hopkins put into developing a relationship with his coach? A relationship always goes 2 ways.

15. Time to embrace your “fresh start”, stopping talking about your former coach & Move On!

16. O’Brien is his coach, not his dad. BB is old school and wins. In the end, these “player friendly” do not have the respect of the players/team.

17. “Deshaun Watson will really prove himself or get exposed this year.”

Watson already did that in the playoffs, he’s a top5 QB.

18. lesepi says:
    April 21, 2020 at 12:13 pm

——————-

Well, when he gets 20 mil per from dumb Keim in Arizona, and they sink into cap hell by overpaying Chandler Jones by 5 million per and this guy by 8 million per, then we’ll see he’s overpaid, and hence overrated on the dollar and the market.

It makes me laugh.

Give me 11 Julian Edelmans all day long over divas like this. Once they start to make it about them (like Brady just did and is doing right now), it’s all over.

O’Brien may be a middling coach and a very questionable new GM, but maybe he can create a more stable culture there in a couple of seasons. I’d let this trade play out before just assuming Arizona won the deal, when they probably didn’t.

I can see Houston being better than Arizona this year, and possibly by not investing the boatload Hopkins will get from dummy, drunk Keim who thinks he’s playing Madden instead of being paid to understand basic math, economics, finance and the sport of football being more than stat collection.

19. That’s because you were a diva, and he has no time for guys like you which is why he gave you away for peanuts

20. The headline, I had “no relationship”, reminds me of that guy who said, “I had no sexual relations with that woman!” while looking straight into the TV camera and jabbing his finger at America.

21. seanismorriscom says:
    April 21, 2020 at 12:52 pm
    So, Hopkins is saying he played O’Brien like a fiddle.

O’Brien could have just responded with “no”.

Any competent GM would have handled things differently.

11 3 Rate This

——————

Most GMs are morons and lose a high draft pick under a Rookie Cap AND then overpay the player they acquired.

Look at Indy losing #13 overall and then paying Buckner 21 mil per. That’s suicide. Buckner is a very good 4-3 player, but they could have gotten 4-3 DE as good in the draft. Most teams run a 4-3. LOL

The only kind of a player you should feel obligated to pay 20+ mil to, is an legit, elite QB that you want on the books for like 4-5 years. That’s it. Not WRs, CBs, OLBs, RBs or DEs. So dumb.

It’s mind numbing how dumb these GMs are. Believe it or not, money alone, O’Brien probably won this deal in the end.

22. Here’s what makes no sense to me. I get it that O’Brien doesn’t like the guy for whatever reasons. But he’s NOT a diva. He’s NOT late to meetings. He’s NOT out with minor injuries all the time. He IS spectacular on the field. He DOES get along with teammates and fans. He’s NOT a distraction or locker room cancer. So why be concerned about he guy’s personal life? Or that he wants more money? Fine, you can’t handle having the guy around. But guess what? He’s got a LOT of value given what he brings, and the lack of negative things that some other high maintenance WRs bring to the table. It’s impossible to believe that he couldn’t have engineered a better trade than what he negotiated with Arizona. And apparently O’Brien is enamored with David Johnson, who hasn’t been the same guy he was in 2016 at anytime since. Absolutely mind-blowing that O’Brien has been given the keys to the franchise. Not gonna end well, sooner than later.

23. jimjets says:
    April 21, 2020 at 12:20 pm

————————
    The wannabe coach who’s won his division 4 of the 6 years of his NFL coaching career ?

24. I appreciate hearing this, but I am conflicted with how it makes me feel –

On the one hand, I better understand the urgency to get him out of Houston with 3 years remaining. It’s obvious now that Hopkins didn’t just want a new contract, he wanted a fresh start. So a trade ultimately needed to occur.

The fact that O’Brien has had such a bad relationship with his star players is concerning. I’m not sure what his relationship with Duane Brown looked like, but it’s obvious that he hasn’t had a good one with Clowney or Hopkins, which led to him trading them off. That concerns me, as a good coach needs to be able to manage relationships with his star players and figure out how to best utilize their talents.

I’m also wondering what value was placed on Hopkins when he was being shopped around. Philadelphia has come out and made a statement that they were involved in discussions about Hopkins, so was the deal with Arizona actually the best one that we could get? Maybe nobody was interested in a diva receiver that wanted $20M per season.

All in all, it’s history at this point. I still think we could have gotten more for Hopkins, and that we are overvaluing David Johnson to our team. But time will tell how this plays out.

25. I don’t think Bill O’Brien is a very good coach and even worse as a GM but the problem here is clearly Hopkins. Coaching skill and player ability are non-factors here because this is an issue about human interaction. While O’Brien may not have actively tried to fix any issues, Hopkins has admitted that rather than having a truthful conversation, he chose to try to manipulate. Hopkins got traded because he could not “man-up” for whatever reason. He asked for more money to generate a response. It was premeditated by his own admission. That response generated a conversation from O’Brien that included things Hopkins obviously didn’t want to discuss. Maybe a comparison was made or maybe it wasn’t. Regardless Hopkins got butthurt enough to mention something to somebody shady enough to make it public. It seems like the majority of his problems come from his own choices.

26. iliketurtles says:
    April 21, 2020 at 12:35 pm
    Tylaw

Remember when you said there was no way Tom Brady plays for another team?

24 2 Rate This

———————

Never happened.

I was saying 8 years ago on the B. Globe’s messageboard that when the time comes for BB to show Brady the door, it will be business as usual, and he will.

Right again.

Never said a word about him trying to play for another team AFTER BB diagnosed him as being done. Never said a word. As for as me being a diehard Pats fan, Brady is dead to me, so I don’t care what he does.

When he gets into the HOF and Pats Ring of Honor, that will be the time to reflect. Him being delusional and still wanting to play is him being delusional. I have no control over that as a fan, but I know what BB does and will do after 20 years.

I can name Adam Vinatieri as the ONLY former Pats player to have continued, sustained success as good as he had in NE, and he was a kicker kicking 10 games out of the year in a dome.

You people lying or not reading correctly are annoying.

27. joshhatesthesteelers says:
    April 21, 2020 at 1:35 pm
    jimjets says:
    April 21, 2020 at 12:20 pm

————————

1 0 Rate This

———————-

Pats Haters apply irrational Pats Standards to anything affiliated with NE. They do the same thing with watching and wanting Goodell to cheat NE, not even caring how ridiculous it is to say NE magically cheats, and then we point out Goodell actually doing it, and they don’t care.

They’re phonies.

28. bsandersupthesidelinecutsbackinside says:
    April 21, 2020 at 12:27 pm

More like the book “Coaching and GM’ing for Dummies”.

20 5 Rate This

————————–

I think what Flores is doing in Miami unloading cancers like Fitzpatrick, or Detroit unloading Slay and others who see a fraudulent, bloated self worth, and how that affects a locker room, is the right thing to do.

Divas and bad locker rooms don’t win SBs. That’s just a fact.

Quinn/Patricia should have made their moves SOONER. That’s the one thing Flores got right the second he got there. Immediate diagnosis and then good value back.

Just watch, Fitzpatrick, Slay and Hopkins are now enabled and entitled Millennials. Watch what happens in 2-3 years.

LOL

You either get teambuilding or ya don’t. Pats Manegement Secrets Vol 1 was written by a Harvard Economics professor in 2003/2004, so it’s been available for anyone to read and learn from for 15 years.

Check out reading. Read anything, because Millennials don’t read books either. Congrats.

29. People that Bill O’Brien has publicly had a problem with: Andre Johnson, Brandon Brooks, Arian Foster, Duane Brown, Brian Gaine, Jadaveon Clowney…[takes breath]…Kareem Jackson, A.J. Bouye, Brock Osweiler, Jaelen Strong, Braxton Miller, that random fan near the tunnel in the Broncos game and now Deandre Hopkins. I’m sure I’m forgetting people too.

People that Deandre Hopkins has had a problem with: Bill O’Brien and…uh…that safety from the Redskins on Hard Knocks in 2014…?

But clearly Hopkins is the problem because he is a “diva” or “millennial.”

30. tylawspick6 says:
    April 21, 2020 at 1:33 pm

=============

I am still baffled by that Indy trade. At #13 in a deep draft, they could have had a top-2 player at just about any available position. Even a plausible franchise QB to succeed Rivers. Now they’ve got an expensive veteran and will have to sit and watch that first round of stellar players go by.

31. How many players, GM’s etc… does O’Brien need to clash with before some people realize it’s a lot more likely he’s the problem? He’s the common denominator here.

32. Bill O’Brien is the best thing to ever happen to every other AFC South Team not named Texans

33. Hopkins > Watson(by a little) > O’Brien

Hopkins is elite. Look at Watson’s numbers throwing only to others.

34. whostolemyxanax says:
    April 21, 2020 at 2:24 pm
    ——————
    Who has he clashed with? Hopkins? A fan in the stands? The most teams would give for Hopkins is a 2nd rounder. So what does that tell you?

35. “The most teams would give for Hopkins is a 2nd rounder.”

Like you know this. Did you poll every GM to see what they may have or did offer for Hopkins? Or are you just blindly believing in O’Brien?

36. B O B no doubt is not a good coach and is a terrible GM at this point. But lets get real, when Nuk says “that asking for a little raise would lead to the outcome that I got, which is the outcome that I wanted” thats total BS! If this was the case he wouldn’t still be trying to get his “little raise” from the Cards. By the way 6 to 7 million extra a year is not so little.

37. B O B no doubt is not a good coach and is a terrible GM at this point.

___

Hes been there 6 years. 4 division titles, 5 years with a winning record.

If hes that bad, the rest of the division must just really stink.

38. cardinalsfan20 says:
    April 21, 2020 at 2:58 pm
    “The most teams would give for Hopkins is a 2nd rounder.”

—————-
    He was on the trade block for over three weeks. I doubt a team offered a first and O’Brien said no thanks I’ll go with the lower offer. SMH

39. The reality is that O’Brien did Hopkins a huge favor by trading him and O’Brien took the heat for it. This is an example of a coach working as a GM. No coach wants a player on the team that doesn’t want to be on his team. He could have forced Hopkins to stay and play out his contract but instead, he traded him which allows him to get paid over $20 million per year.

40. We all have to deal with unpleasant people in our jobs. However, we have to suck it up and deal with it. Why is it these spoiled millionaires think it’s an honorable thing to complain about everyone else. I haven’t heard the same thing from every other Texans player so maybe Hopkins is the problem. Chances are it’s a bit of both but by whining about it Hopkins looks like a chump.