Joe Tessitore, Booger McFarland out at Monday Night Football

Getty Images

As ESPN continued to look for new additions to the Monday Night Football crew, it became increasingly obvious that the current members of the booth would not be returning. It’s now official.

Richard Deitsch of TheAthletic.com reports that Joe Tessitore and Booger McFarland won’t be back.

Deitsch adds that the replacements will come from within ESPN, and that decisions have not been made as to the persons who will succeed Tessitore and McFarland, both of whom will remain in “prominent roles” at ESPN.

ESPN reportedly made runs in recent months at folks like Peyton Manning, Tony Romo, and Al Michaels.

Any changes could be temporary. With rumors rampant that the next deal for Monday Night Football (which starts in 2022) may result in the game moving back to ABC, efforts to swing for the fences when it comes to the folks working the games may not result in a strikeout.

148 responses to “Joe Tessitore, Booger McFarland out at Monday Night Football

1. Surprised it took this long. Booger spouting every football cliche over and over was cringeworthy…

2. Thank goodness. Now I don’t have to mute the TV and listen to the out of synch Westwood One…

3. MortimerInMiami says:
    May 9, 2020 at 4:13 pm
    Can America survive without the Booger-Mobile?
    =============
    America did pretty good last year without the Booger-Mobile. It’s not 2018 anymore

4. I didn’t hate Booger like everyone seems too. Wasnt the best but heard far worse. Better than Rush was lol.

5. Sure hope they keep the college football saturday team where they are… Kirk Herbstreet is great.

6. I remember when Monday Night Football was something special.
    Now. Not so much.
    ESPN could use interns and they would be better than Testa and Boger.

7. Don’t want Boger back on his vehicle stand reporting from the sidelines. He always stopped right in the way of our view when the teams are near the 50 yard line.

8. Since I am out at MNF, this means I will not be announcing games for MNF this season.

9. bengal4573 says:
    May 9, 2020 at 4:34 pm

======================

Or Dennis Miller and his esoteric references. I lost way too much time trying to figure out what he meant when I could have been enjoying the game. I was like the dog that tilts its head when it hears a weird noise…all game long.

10. MortimerInMiami says:
    May 9, 2020 at 4:13 pm
    Can America survive without the Booger-Mobile?
    __________

Considering they got rid of it almost two years ago, I’d say yes.

11. Probably end up being Stephen A and Damien Woody the way ESPN operates. We could watch Stephen A announce players names from three years ago that aren’t on the team anymore

12. Despite his numerous faults, flubs, and cliches, he has been there and done that. To me, he brought a type of realism to the broadcast and I envision lots of the players having similar personalities.

13. Best news that we have had since January! They were awful. Booger, just terrible. I don’t know how he made it this far.

14. Until a better alternative presents itself I’m gonna throw my money behind Steve Levy and Greg McElroy to take over, they seemed really solid for the XFL 2.0 before it went under. Just PLEASE don’t let it be Beth Mowins and Rex Ryan taking over!

15. If no college football in the fall then it’s got to be Herbie and Fowler. Can’t see anyone else if it’s internal hires unless Riddick gets it. Want H and F to stick to college as that’s their game not the NFL.

16. Good News-Bad news MNF fans. Good news Tessitore & McFarland out, Bad news There replacements will come from within ESPN. Is there any good talent left within ESPN?

17. Great news! Tessitore yelled all the time — even when nothing was happening — and Booger loved hearing himself talk.
    The only problem is, they’ll no doubt replace them with more of the same — guys who think they are the story instead of the game.
    They should go back and listen to the way pros like Curt Gowdy, Ray Scott, and Pat Summerall did play-by-play of NFL games. They all knew that the game was the focus and not themselves, and that by talking less they gave the viewers more.

18. The replacements won’t be good. MNF is a “show”, not a game. Mute button still engaged.

19. They were truly awful. However, as a studio talking head, McFarland is likeable and articulate. He’s no Daniel Jeremiah, Louis Riddick, or Dan Orlovsky, but he’s much better than most at ESPN and the NFL Network.

20. If if’s and buts were candies and nuts every day would be Christmas! Hallelujah

21. I wish they could have Mike Patrick back at one spot, but I don’t see that happening. My guess is Stephen A. Smith and Rex Ryan. Yuck

22. Tessitore should have been fired the moment he forced Gruden to agree with him about the ‘tragic gruesome nature’ of a Bengals Steelers game because of all the hard hits. Gruden left the booth after that season. When an announcer starts declaring 8-10 hits by both sides criminal he needs to stop announcing the game.

23. I don’t understand the issue everyone has with Booger? The guy is positive and states the obvious but who cares?

24. MNF should have never left ABC to start with. ESPN has mishandled it the whole way, and I’ll be happy when it is back on ABC.

25. According to Stephen A Smith, this is an obvious racist firing. So they had to throw sacrificial lamb tessitore in as well for reasons you already know.

26. sconnieeaglesfan says:
    May 9, 2020 at 6:13 pm
    ————————-
    I’ll be happy when it’s on a channel that’s not driven by politics.

27. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:

screaming A. Smith should take over.
    ==========================================

Then we can have left wing politics mixed in. Genius idea.

28. andydlev says:
    May 9, 2020 at 4:34 pm
    Joe Rogan is the answer

The answer to what? He’s a roided up version of Joe Tessatore. No thanks.

29. nyneal says:
    May 9, 2020 at 5:50 pm

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

You got that right, Curt Gowdy, Ray Scott, and Pat Summerall were as good as they get.

30. ESPN probably couldn’t afford to pay either of them with their Money losses this year

31. I’m sure there’s no shortage of hacks to pick from to fill the positions…….

32. I loved Booger I just think his name prevented people from taking him seriously

33. I thought people were not supposed to pick thier noses or touched the faces during the pandemic, how did they take Booger out?

34. Those that want Tirico. He is locked in with NBC. Man, it sucks, they got it knocked with College Football, but cant hit it with the NFL. But if Screamin A is part of it,,good night.

35. Isn’t the “Booger” why we’re all wearing masks? In this day and time, a commentator named for nasal discharge is a disastrous idea. Actually, without Covid-19, his contribution was still disastrous!
    Booger will land on his feet…he’s a natural for Mucinex commercials.

36. Tessitore was a local TV news sports guy here in CT some years back now. He was always annoying and the reason we didn’t watch channel 3 news. Same reason I didn’t watch MNF unless it was a great game. He is terrible at everything.

Add “Booger” and you still have nothing. Good riddance.

37. The answer is so obvious! Keep Booger and move him to sideline reporter. Beth Mowins as play-by-play; Rod Gilmore color. Who’s with me?

38. Be careful what you wish for.
    Yes it can get way worse than Tess and boogs.
    Think of Beth mowins and Jamele hill doing color.
    Espn quality is at that level now.

39. ESPN should have Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit move to MNF, a move that should have been done previously.

40. carloswlassiter says:
    May 9, 2020 at 4:21 pm
    Booger was terrible, but Tessitore was far, far worse.

OMG!!! What games were YOU listening to? There can not be a more moronic, annoying, marble mouthed idiot on the face of this earth than Booger.

I smashed 14 tvs watching MNF last year.
    This move saved me so much MONEY!!!!!

41. >>sconnieeaglesfan says:
    May 9, 2020 at 6:13 pm
    MNF should have never left ABC to start with. ESPN has mishandled it the whole way, and I’ll be happy when it is back on ABC.>>

Disney was losing $150 Million a year on the old ABC version of Monday Night Football. That moved to NBC and became Sunday Night Football because at the time (2005-’06), NBC had a strong Monday night lineup they didn’t want to mess with.

ESPN’s version of MNF on the other hand is a cash cow for Disney because of the many platforms it can be on whereas the ABC it never could be. It’s been a beefed-up version of the old Sunday Night Football package on ESPN.

42. that mcfarland was absolutely the most annoying, not to mention all the capt. obvious comments.

43. “On this third down, look for either a run or a pass.”
    – Booger McFarland

44. If I had my way, they’d hire Larry The Cable Guy and Ray Romano to do the announcing for MNF.
    At least those two guys are funny.

45. Tessitore was fine. Booger was the problem, I’m not sure anybody could have done a good job with Booger.

That being said go out and get a woman for play by play. If you might only have 2 more seasons left with your people at ESPN do something that might open the door up. There are plenty of people that could do a good job.

I think Suzy would do a good job I think, and maybe Young for the color commentary.

46. Booger – that was not hands to the face in the first Packers – Lions game – but how can you grab inside the guys shoulder pads and pull it up under the guys chin and not expect that to be called. It is something – and you didnt have to go on and on and on about it.

47. i know folks hate booger but the evil u know is better than the evil you dont….cuz it might be worse!!!! Next one could be witten 2.0

48. Tessitore was fine: he lent intrigue to every game; loved his voice and how his inflections created drama to a play.

SORRY to see him go.

Booger? No problem with him either. He often provided insights that few other commentators offered.

Replacements will likely be no better, perhaps worse.

Be careful for what you wish…..

49. I’d like to see Steve Young in the booth. ESPN already has him under contract so that wouldn’t be a holdup.

50. The past couple years, even TNF has been more compelling. That’s pretty bad, for what was once the premier showcase for the league each week

51. Thank heavens. Those two were the worst announce team I can ever recall listening to in my several decades of being an NFL fan. I literally did not watch Monday night football because they were so utterly dreadful.

52. If there is anyone as beloved as John Madden it is CHRIS BERMAN. Fans would LOVE to see Berman.

53. Go ahead and complain…they weren’t the best or the worst. ESPN will figure a way to make it worse and they are and have been headed downhill for several years. They screw up everything that works

54. Booger was Captain Obvious & stuttered like a fifth grader caught for cheating. He wasn’t as bad as Jason Whitten tho. He sounded more nervous & uncertain than one of ESPNs interns.

55. MNF has not been the same since Dandy Don,Frank and Howie did the broadcasts.enjoyed every bit of Dandy Dons and Howies bantering on air.

56. MNF broadcasts has not been the same since Dandy Don,Frank and Howie did the broadcasts.enjoyed every bit of Dandy Dons and Howies bantering on air.

57. bronx33 says:
    May 10, 2020 at 8:35 am
    Finally! Booger made watching MNF unbearable. I second this notion!

58. MNF used to be an event when it was on ABC, and with ESPN it has felt more like an afterthought. Part of that is because the Sun. night broadcast on NBC has a lot more production value and it feels like they get better match-ups. MNF has become little more than Thursday night without the gross uniforms.

59. What a nice Sunday morning “Hallelujah!” The problem is filling the vacancies from within after the ESPN scalp-taking ambush a few years ago. I’ll take Jon Sciambi doing play-by-play of anything, even celebrity refrigerator racing. The trouble is, who ya got to provide color, commentary, and banter. Kornheiser & Wilbon?

60. Monday Night Football use to be an event that we looked forward to every Monday, what has happened to MNF is a side show. These two announcers were beyond the bottom of the barrel

61. Chris Spielman is the best analyst right now. But MNF is the only thing on TV, so you really don’t need greatness. You just can’t have someone in the booth that’s going to cause millions of people to turn off their TV, and that’s probably what was happening with McFarland.

62. I have no opinion on Joe, but all Booger ever did was make want me to turn the sound off. He is one of the worse ever. ESPN has a terrible record of finding talented sports announcers. They hire people over and over and over and over again that are just arrogant beyond words and ones who contribute nothing to the games enjoyment. They could take some lessons in what is good by looking back in the history of MNF or looking at the top teams on CBS and Fox.

63. They will probably have to raid their college football announcing stable for MNF, unless they can hire someone away from another network. If they want a good young play-by-play guy, they should consider Joe Davis.

64. I suspect Louis Riddick will be involved as an analyst, and perhaps a Bruschi type as well. ESPN seems high on both those guys. The big question mark is who does the play-by-play call? Who does ESPN currently have on their “roster” for that?

Riddick as an analyst would be a great move. Play by play would be more problematic. I don’t ESPN has anyone on their current “roster” who would excel.

65. Even though the story is probably true how can it be considered “official” when someone from The Athletic (and not ESPN) is reporting it? The tweet below says “sources” but didn’t even say “ESPN sources”.

“ESPN is going to have a new Monday Night Football booth. Joe Tessitore and Booger McFarland will not return, via sources. The successors will be internal. No decision has been made yet. Both Tessitore and McFarland will remain in prominent roles at ESPN.”

66. I’m going to miss gems like “When he passes the ball, he’s expecting someone to catch it”

67. On XFL, I liked Steve Levy. But I could also live with Nessler (although I would hate to lose him from college FB).

What we’ve learned, is every time they make an announcing revision – they get it WORSE!

68. Shame really. I will miss going on twitter Monday nights just to read all the hilarious Booger hate.

69. “Booger McFarland won’t be back.”
    ++++++++++
    That makes up for 3 months of Coronavirus.

70. Dig up Howard Cosell. Best ever. If you want a great read, read his book “I Never Played The Game”. He was the first person to ever get a perfect 100% on the New York state bar exam. He was amazing. Don Merideth being so drunk in the booth he thew up on Cosell’s shoes. Gotta Love it ! I read it in two days. Couldn’t put it down.