Art Rooney II: “No basis” for believing James Harrison’s claims

Getty Images

Former Steelers linebacker James Harrison claims that Steelers coach Mike Tomlin gave Harrison “an envelope” after the league imposed a $75,000 fine on Harrison for an illegal hit in 2010 against Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi.

The Steelers have issued a statement on the matter from team president Art Rooney II.

“I am very certain nothing like this ever happened,” Rooney said in a statement from the Steelers to PFT. “I have no idea why James would make a comment like this but there is simply no basis for believing anything like this.”

Tomlin has not yet commented on the matter. The league office has declined comment.

Rooney defended Harrison in the aftermath of the imposition of the fine.

I think the play was a legal hit,” Rooney said. “It’s on the borderline, though.”

If Harrison is telling the truth, what happened is well on the wrong side of the borderline. Officially, however, the Steelers reject Harrison’s version of the events.

34 responses to “Art Rooney II: “No basis” for believing James Harrison’s claims

1. 75K in cash would have been readily available in the money room at any one of the Rooney owned racetracks on the East Coast

2. Massaquoi’s career was pretty much ended after that hit. That should not be overlooked.

3. I can’t stand the Patriots but if nothing comes of this, they should be outraged.

4. Who cares. Millionaires fining millionaires who get bailed out by other millionaires.

5. I doubt there was any sort of bounty on Mohamed Massoquoi. Is it illegal for a team to reimburse a player for a fine?

6. Steeler fans in Leslie Nielson voice in Airplane movie ” nothing to see here, move along, nothing to see here move along”

7. enoughofthatalready says:
    May 14, 2020 at 9:00 pm

Harrison also took a head shot at Josh Cribbs in the same game. I don’t think he was targeting anyone in particular, but he was definitely head hunting

8. In the same interview where Harrison claimed Tomlin handed him an envelope, he also said he’d have played an additional season—with the Patriots—to help them win a seventh Super Bowl “out of spite.” That’s how upset he was the Steelers had benched him.
    Harrison is a disgruntled former employee. He would have played an additional season “out of spite.”
    Telling a lie on a podcast would be super easy in comparison.

9. The ONLY way Harrison is or would be allowed to make this claim would have been the same day the envelope was offered… And of course the same day he refused it.

10. enoughofthatalready says:
    “Is it illegal for a team to reimburse a player for a fine?”.

Yes, it is.

11. fosnomore says:
    May 14, 2020 at 7:59 pm
    ____________________________________

That’s why the Rooneys will never admit it. Massaquoi would have grounds for a lawsuit.

12. A habitual dirty player and now a snitch too? What’s Harrison’s motivation in spilling the beans now? I think it may be he is flat broke and is groveling for media scraps.

13. Well if it is true, the Steelers are going at best 6 & 9 this season.. the coach will sit it out for sure….

14. Mohamed Massaquoi And Josh Cribbs were both knocked out of the game in the 2nd quarter with helmet to helmet hits by Harrison. It could be possible don’t forget Tomlin tried to trip a ravens player to. He should be banned from the league or suspended for a year.

15. So, let me get this straight. Of all the fines that Harrison received during his career, we are supposed to believe that Tomlin “handed him an envelope” after ONE of the hits/fines. Further, after review, the NFL reduced the fine to 50,000. Will someone ask James if he gave Tomlin back 25,000? I loved Harrison’s aggressive style of play, didn’t love the headshots though. As far as this goes, I don’t believe a word he’s saying.

16. Why wouldn’t this be entirely believable ? Tomlin once intentionally stepped on the field to obstruct Jacoby Jones on a kick off return without any consequences. Tomlin is a “favored” coach and the Steelers are a “favored” franchise. Therefore, this will be ignored and swept under the rug. What incentive would Harrison have to make this up ?

17. steelpenguin6687 says:
    May 15, 2020 at 10:36 am

I don’t believe a word he’s saying.
    ————————————————————————————-
    I don’t recall Harrison lying before – in fact his trouble seems to be that he shares too much. I see no reason anyone would doubt this story.

18. carloswlassiter says:
    May 15, 2020 at 1:18 pm
    steelpenguin6687 says:
    May 15, 2020 at 10:36 am

I don’t believe a word he’s saying.
    ————————————————————————————-
    ===========================================================

To each, his own, and I get what you’re saying. However, just out of curiosity, how many people do you think believed him when he said he didn’t use HGH/steroids when all that was going on? Dollars to donuts, 90% of the posters on here, and various sites, would say he was lying through his teeth then. I personally don’t believe Tomlin paid his fine. Is it impossible, no? I’m not condoning but, if it did happen I would say it has happened on every team in the NFL. (probably other players paying it). The difference is, they had the good sense not to talk about it. No matter what James says, he has a bone to pick with Tomlin and the Steelers over how bad, in his mind, he was treated at the end.

19. The NFL is going to print out Rooney’s statement, file it, announce they have concluded their exhaustive investigation and that they have found no evidence of wrongdoing.