Jordan Love: I’d feel pressure to succeed “no matter where I would have landed”

Getty Images

Aaron Rodgers spoke publicly for the first time last Friday about the Packers’ decision to draft quarterback Jordan Love in the first round and the attention paid to his comments underscored how many eyes will be on the two players once the Packers get on the field.

Everyone watching will be thinking about when Love might be ready to ascend to the starting lineup and whether he’s the right choice to succeed a two-time MVP in Green Bay. That comes with pressure for the rookie, but he told Omar Ruiz of NFL Media that he would be feeling the same pressure to prove himself regardless of the circumstances surrounding his selection.

“No matter where I would have landed, that was the goal for me,” Love said. “You gotta go out there, prove yourself and make a name for yourself. It’s a job, you gotta be able to keep that. For me, just trying to learn the offense and prove myself.”

Love is currently working out with Keenan Allen and Tyrell Williams, so he’s able to throw to NFL receivers while waiting for a chance to start working with Rodgers and the Packers. Plenty of people will be watching to see how that’s helped to prepare him for the spotlight that will accompany him to Green Bay.

33 responses to “Jordan Love: I’d feel pressure to succeed “no matter where I would have landed”

1. Three Packer positives from this past week, each of which dispelled the incorrect and assumed motivations of the Packers and Packer players and Packer fans. 1) Favre fesses up. I admire Favre for finally and publicly setting the record straight on his personal responsibilities and errors made by him during his on-again, off-again Packer departure. I admire him that much more. He’s a Packer for life. 2) Rodgers tells it California-cool. He’s got this. He knows what needs to happen. We all do. It’s a business. He gets it better than anyone in his position before. He’s already invested in the professional sports management arena with the Milwaukee Bucks. If he wants to earn a contract extension within four years, show us why. He gets it! If he remains phenomenal, the Packers will no longer be able to afford him. He knows it. They know it. His ego is wonderfully in-check and apparent in his willingness to contribute to the success of the Green Bay Packers and Jordan Love. Some teams have been known to buy promised guarantees in search of a gem like Rodgers. 3) Jordan Love. What’s not to like? He’s got the best gig in the house, and he has time to watch, mature, and learn and befriend and endear himself with some of the largest influences he will ever know in his life; The Green Bay Packers, Aaron Charles Rodgers, and the hundreds and thousands of devoted and rightfully proud Packer fans from all over this great world of ours.

2. No pressure at all for Love.he is starting a new job out of college with only one expectation from his employer right now,learn the system and learn the right way to do the job for the future.he isnt expected to get playing time for at least three to four years and then hopefully his skills will have improved to the level where he will be able to lead the Packers for another fifteen to twenty years of winning football.

3. Love won’t have pressure this season but Love & Gute have expectations of starting in 2 years and that will apply some pressure for him.
    And likewise Rodgers will feel the pressure of being forced out the door before his contract ends.

4. In Tom Brady’s shoes, look at the weapon Tom has and Brady is on a team that wants him more than the packers want Rodgers.

5. Let’s face it, when you put on the green and gold, expectations are higher.

You are playing for the most successful franchise in NFL history.

6. It’s amusing, because we heard a lot of the same chatter from haters outside Wisconsin about Aaron Rodgers when he has drafted. They said Aaron would never amount to anything and that the Packers would suck forever once Brett Favre left.

Aaron has 4 seasons left on his current contract and he is saying he may be able to play beyond that. As I have said before, a lot will depend on when Jordan Love is ready. When will Matt LaFleur go to Gute and say “We have a elite QB here and it’s time for him to play”? Mike McCarthy said that to Ted Thompson in 2008. If these are “problems” then they are good problems to have. As I also said before, talk to me in 2 yrs and I will let you know if Jordan Love is ready. Until then, it’s just hater drivel to discuss the topic of when Jordan will become the starter, or the topic of when Aaron may play somewhere else.

I like what I see and hear so far from Jordan. Intelligence is not lacking and that is a very good sign to me. I’ve watched several games on tape now and Jordan is a incredible talent. The arm strength and athleticism are off the charts. His ceiling is extremely high. I do see why several people compare him to Mahomes. I am not doing that, but I see why some do. I will want to see him throw and play live in person a lot more, before I really start to form a complete opinion on whether I think he will be a elite QB in the NFL. I do trust Gute, and he sees a future elite NFL QB in Jordan. Again, ask me again in 2 years if Jordan is ready.

What I do know now, is that you only play one season at a time, and the 2020 is the focus right now. I like the roster and I like the Packers chances this season. The present and future are very bright in TitleTown. Some may not like that fact, but it is indeed fact.

#GoPackGo!✊

7. Hows he going to succeed if hes just sitting on the bench the next 4 years? I mean, Rodgers is playing out his contract, right?

8. It takes rookie qb’s at least 2 years to be able to get acculamated to the NFL. Then by year 3 love will need to show a heck of a lot to unseat Rodgers. Rodgers would have to regress quite a lot which may happen , but I’m not sold right now!

9. cheeseisfattening says:
    May 17, 2020 at 9:49 am
    Poor guy. He is about to get passive-aggressived
    ______________________________________

Well, let’s see here … the Packers have Aaron Rodgers and Jordan Love. Your team has Kirk Cousins and, well, it doesn’t matter. LOL, couldn’t make it up if I tried.

10. I don’t understand using a 2020 first round pick for the 2023 or 2024 season, but the people running the Packers’ draft must be feeling very secure. It will be interesting to see how the Packers develop this kid. I know the league is a copy cat league, and a lot of coaches see what the Saints are doing with Taysom Hill. Even though the Saints haven’t won anything, coaches get enamored with different things. I could see the Packers having a set of plays that are designed to take advantage of Love’s physical skills, just as the Saints wouldn’t be asking Drew Brees to do what Hill comes in and does. The Saints are planning to make Hill the starter in 2021, so I think this is what the Packers are using as their model. Even if I don’t agree, at least it’s an explanation that easy to follow.

11. Aaron was a witness to Brett basically talking himself out the door with his retirement-not-retirement stuff. Mike McCarthy’s comments to Ted Thompson at the time about having an extraordinary talent in Rodgers waiting in the wings gave the Packers the opportunity to finally say no to Brett — stop playing the exasperation game.

Aaron will not be Brett in how he handles this. So absent a decline in Aaron’s play, I do not expect the Packers to push Aaron out the door.

Jordan Love has stepped into an extraordinary opportunity — but its up to him to use the time he has been given to learn the game and develop into a worthy successor to both Brett and Aaron.

We don’t get to see this sort of thing too often in the NFL.

12. cheeseisfattening says:
    May 17, 2020 at 9:49 am
    Poor guy. He is about to get passive-aggressived
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

At least it won’t be necessary to boost his low self-esteem by picking unnecessary fights anonymously on-line. He’s got that going for him. You don’t.

13. What I haven’t seen mentioned is that ARs skills have already begun to diminish. They have, no arguing, its there to see on the field and in the stats. So AR could go or stay, Love could start or not, pretty flexible position for the Pack and reason for everyone to just get along.

14. charliecharger says:
    May 17, 2020 at 1:06 pm
    ———————————————————————————

The draft is for player acquisition for future seasons. If you are a team that uses the draft to get starters for the upcoming season, it means you are not very good. I understand that you can get lucky and hit on a pick that immediately contributes but I prefer my team to use the draft for potential and to use free agency to fill immediate needs.

15. The more Packers fans think about this the better they feel. GB got a guy that Bucky Brooks said could be the best QB drafted this year, he learns from the best and even if he sits three years, his time will come. If Aaron makes it difficult then that’s a good thing.

Gutekunst did the right thing by going up and getting a player he coveted. How satisfying must that be when you feel you’ve secured the most challenging role in sports for yet another decade and a half.

That’s why they’re the 13-time world champions.

16. Green Bay has become the most extraordinary HOF QB factory in NFL history, and Jordan obviously understands how blessed he is to have landed with the Packers instead of one of the many irrelevant franchises.

17. The snowballing problem that wears number twelve at the waste management facility called Lambeau, sure is becoming more obvious by the day. Hopefully the refs that help the Packers stay in games every year leave with that obnoxious diva QB.

18. Missed receivers last year, both downfield and short, are giving “hopers” the impression that AR is on the downslope. His decline has actually been minor, probably most in speed at scrambling ability, but not in feeling pressure. His misthrows will be corrected by a re-focus on mechanics.

19. Probably hoping he (Love) gets traded. Who wants to hold a clipboard for 4 years?

20. Probably hoping he(Rodgers) gets traded. He’s filled with anger internally.

21. joetoronto says:
    May 17, 2020 at 3:34 pm

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The ref’s! We almost forgot! The ref’s are only factor when it comes to the Green Bay Packers. Good Lord, the ref’s. Don’t forget about the ref’s! The ref’s always help the Packers and only the Packers. They couldn’t win a game without the ref’s. If a Packer opponent loses, it will be because of the ref’s. If the Packers win, it will be because of the ref’s. If it’s a tie but should’ve been a Packer loss, it’s because of the ref’s. It’s always the ref’s. Don’t you ever forget the ref’s. We’re not forgetting about the ref’s. Nobody should forget about the ref’s. The NFL sure isn’t forgetting about the ref’s. How could anybody forget about the ref’s? It’s the ref’s! It’s always the ref’s. If you’re talking about the Packers, you’re talking about the ref’s.

-Viking Fan

22. I just wonder if Spielman would have pounced on Love with their 2nd pick in Rd1. Probably not, which means Love is going to excel when his time is ready.

23. Love gets at least 2 years,.. most probably 3 to clean up his faults and be an NFL caliber QB behind a future Hall of Famer.

24. I feel bad for Packers fans (not really.) Rodgers was only able to produce one Superbowl and he even had the refs helping him through the divisional games & conference opponents too. Got to take the refs out of the game to win a close one with the cheesers. The only way to restore pride in Green Bay is to let the cry baby go somewhere else.

25. stellarperformance says:
    May 17, 2020 at 5:04 pm
    joetoronto says:
    May 17, 2020 at 3:34 pm

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

-Viking Fan

@@@@@@222

Ummm, joe Toronto is a raider fan, but continue with your old man rant it’s quite entertaining

26. Ugh. I wish he’d shut his weird mouth up…oh, it’s not aaron talking? Sorry everyone.

27. GenXJ says:
    May 17, 2020 at 8:39 pm
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

This sounds like the beginnings of a Hate Love relationship.

28. No matter the situation, Love needs to keep his pie hole shut and his ears open and learn. Rodgers doesn’t have to mentor him, he can learn by watching, doing the things he is supposed to do. Cram your head in the play book, watch film etc. This ain’t college anymore….this is a full time job and you have to put the effort into it.