Ben Roethlisberger’s trip to barber catches PA Gov. Tom Wolf’s eye

Getty Images

Plenty of people took note of a video Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger released on Monday.

The video showed Roethlisberger throwing with teammates and then receiving a trim from a barber that Roethlisberger said would have to wait until he could make legit NFL throws following right elbow surgery. While many in Pennsylvania likely focused on that as a positive about Roethlisberger’s return, Governor Tom Wolf focused on something else.

Roethlisberger visited a barber shop in Allegheny County and those businesses have not been cleared to reopen in that region yet.

“My concern is just a general concern,” Wolf said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “Anybody who puts himself or herself into harm’s way is something that I think we ought to try to avoid. And when you go to something like a barbershop and you’re not protected, I don’t care who you are, the chances of that virus actually wreaking havoc on your life increases. I don’t personally think any Pennsylvanian ought to take that chance and I certainly don’t want to take that chance myself.”

Wolf did not say if any action would be taken against the barber shop that Roethlisberger visited after throwing to JuJu Smith-Schuster, James Conner and Ryan Switzer.

32 responses to “Ben Roethlisberger’s trip to barber catches PA Gov. Tom Wolf’s eye

1. What is with all of the hate against barber shops? I thought beards were something that the CDC said to keep trimmed or gone. Same would go for hair. Sounds to me like barbers shops are more essential than most. Complete Pass for anyone opening and / or going to a barber shop based on CDC health standards.

2. Now getting a haircut is putting yourself in harm’s way? Wolf is choking PA. Why is is ok to get a haircut in Missouri, Tennessee, Oregon, Idaho, etc. but not in PA??? Does the virus care where you live? Not protected – in a barbershop???? Hmmm…

Medical emergency or political emergency???

3. I don’t care if you don’t want to wear a mask. I don’t care if Big Ben is too stupid to publish a video of himself breaking public health policy by going to a closed barber shop. Just all you morons stay away from me, if you don’t care about your life, respect mine.

4. “What is with all of the hate against barber shops? I thought beards were something that the CDC said to keep trimmed or gone.”

So going to the barber shop is the only possible option to trim your beard?

5. I’m pretty sure one can get clippers on Amazon or ebay if they really have to trim there hair & beard urgently

6. Let’s not lump Big Ben into the group of wise decision makers. A quick google search will tell you why.

7. Tom Wolf can shut it and stay in his mansion and yell at people through his little mask.

8. The Pennsylvania governors ‘general concern’ is that of many governors – keep their states shut down, hoping to impact the general election in November.

9. I live in NJ which is near the epicenter of this mess and my neighbor is currently cutting people’s hair in his driveway outside.

10. steelerguy says:
    May 19, 2020 at 4:01 pm

Medical emergency or political emergency???

*******************************************************************************

Or, you know, could have to do with the fact that PA is next door to the largest ongoing outbreak in the country while Idaho, Missouri, Oregon, and Tennessee are in completely different regions of the country. Wolf is one of four governors who’s currently talking about getting sports going again. Haven’t heard this coming from the governors in Tennessee or Missouri. Their governors need to stop choking their states immediately.

Also, what do you mean “now” getting a haircut is putting yourself in harm’s way. Not like barbershops only stopped being closed two days ago.

11. eyestrike11 says:

So going to the barber shop is the only possible option to trim your beard?
    ———————————-
    With this agrument we might as well just shut all restaurants and grow our own food. Of course you could trim your own beard but a service offering a professional touch should be more essential, than say nasty walmart being open. As keeping facial hair trimmed is clearly an asking by the CDC guidline.

12. The PA Governor has completely lost all respect and his state. He has done a horrible job on taking care of senior citizens and currently is using politics to keep PA closed. It’s embarrassing how poorly he has handled this pandemic. From sending known covid-19 patients back to living care facilities while the PA Health specialist took her mother out of the facilities after that order, but supported the idea, to all the reasons he is just keeping all businesses closed like Real Estate. He should care more about the people of PA and stop worrying about Big Ben and his haircut.

13. Yesterday from Pittsburgh I drove about an hour to just inside Ohio where the barber shops are open. Today I took off my hat and showed my neighbor my fresh cut. He took off his and told me he got his haircut in the usual place here that was flipping the bird at the Governor. I want my money back.

14. Open this country up 100%. Let people decide for themselves on how to lead their lives.

We have BigBoy pants on and can make our own decisions. All these idiotic Governors can’t manage their way out of a paper bag.

It’s a damn haircut for Christ’s Sake.

15. So going to the barber shop is the only possible option to trim your beard?
    ———————————-
    ___________________

“…might as well shut all restaurants and grow our own food.” Well, there are these things, they’ve been calling them stoves and microwaves.

Otherwise, as another person said on this topic, you can buy clippers from Amazon. My statement had nothing to do with restaurants; that is your own projection.

16. It’s one thing to go get a trim or cut but to video and put it out there when the state is still under lockdown, you can sure see when these guys play football, they aren’t the sharpest tools in the shed!

17. Don’t slam the governor, slam the idiot that posted this selfish act on social media. Do these dummies have ANY working brain cells?

18. In a way a barbershop is essential, because you have to cut your hair at some point unless you want to look like a hillbilly/mountain man.

Nail salons, with hand to hand contact have less of a need to reopen.

And bars should not be allowed to reopen at all.

19. 4letters says:
    May 19, 2020 at 4:01 pm
    ———————————————————-
    The solution to this is simple: quarantine yourself. If you are in a high-risk group, or are worried about this to the level where you can’t function with other people around – then isolate yourself. Don’t go out. Have your groceries dropped off at the door.

What is incredibly selfish though, is thinking you are all that counts in society and that the rest of society must placate your fears by stopping everything that others want to do.

20. stylzinc says:
    May 19, 2020 at 4:08 pm

——————————————————————
    Amazon, you will get your PRIME orders in 12-14 days, maybe.

21. HagemeisterPark, I was uncivil to you. I sincerely apologize. There was no call for it. Despite our differences in opinion, sitting on either side of the fence, cheering for other teams, there is no reason to be intentionally rude. Of course, a well thought-out insult is golden and I laugh out loud at a lot of them.

22. I haven’t noticed any politicos or news readers with un-cut hair. People have too much to worry about.

23. Unless you have underlying illnesses like heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure, and unless you are in a care home, your risk is pretty slender.

We have had six cases in my ENTIRE county of 1,300 sq. miles. Why the heck should these businesses close and fail?

Common sense just isn’t anymore…

24. >>Unless you have underlying illnesses like heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure, and unless you are in a care home, your risk is pretty slender.

There isn’t enough data yet.
    If you are under 40 your risk of death may be less than 1%.
    But you may still have a 5-10% chance of needing to go to the hospital.
    And there is a chance you suffer lung, kidney, or liver (heart?) damage as well.

So if the risk of death is less than 1% , and the risk of a hospital stay is 5%, and the risk of complications is 3%, does that sound trivial to you?

Its probably not as bad as we first feared, but it’s going to end up killing hundreds of thousands of people.

25. HagemeisterPark says:
    May 19, 2020 at 4:40 pm
    eyestrike11 says:

So going to the barber shop is the only possible option to trim your beard?
    ———————————-
    _________________________________

You just answered the question of how he could have stayed open, sell food! A local tobacco store was ordered to close and instead of closing they started selling canned goods, they were deemed essential and the state had to let them remain open. There are ways around these facist “orders” but you have to think outside of the box to find them!

26. sylvester000001 says:
    May 19, 2020 at 6:25 pm
    PA will never have another Democrat for our Governor.
    _________________________

OH yes you will, because people are stupid! Like in my state right next door. the majority of people voted for DeWine and he’s the stupidest person that could have ever been elected! Don’t believe go google some of the dumb things he’s done and said during this COVID-19 lock down. He ordered people to wear masks everywhere and <2hrs later he rescinded it because he said after talking to his wife he realized there weren't many masks available in the state because almost everyone was sold out of them! Then the next day he orders everyones tempature be taken everywhere. Well guess what happen a few hours later, rescinded again after talking to his wife because she informs him thermometers are sold out everywhere, I mean this guy is a real piece of work and he's a rep so it's not like just one side is ate up with the dumbass!

27. 4letters says:
    May 19, 2020 at 4:01 pm
    =================
    So we should all stay home so you can be the one guy out and about? Get over yourself. You want the morons to stay away from you? Here is an idea, continue to hide out in your basement. The virus wont find you there. You’re welcome.

28. In my 53 years on this planet, I have never seen this level of anger toward fellow citizens. There are those that feel their rights and freedoms are being infringed upon and believe the danger is overstated… and there are those that feel the danger is extreme and not only feel it is ok to dictate how we all should live in the name of public health but go so far as to call people out viciously when they detect instances of noncompliance.

It has become so divisive that commenters are resorting to name calling (various versions of “stupid”). This is unnecessary. I try to practice tolerance toward those I disagree with (with varying degrees of success). I wish we all did.