Lane Taylor takes pay cut to stay with Packers

Getty Images

After missing most of the 2019 season with a torn biceps, Packers guard Lane Taylor has agreed to a pay cut in 2020.

Taylor will get a $100,000 signing bonus and total pay of $1.5 million, according to Tom Pelissero of NFL Media. Taylor had been due a base salary of $3.8 million this season, but it was not guaranteed and he likely would have been released if he hadn’t agreed to the new deal.

Last season Taylor started the first two games before suffering his injury, but this year he may have a tough time beating out Elgton Jenkins for the starting left guard job.

The 30-year-old Taylor entered the NFL as an undrafted rookie with the Packers in 2013.

28 responses to “Lane Taylor takes pay cut to stay with Packers

1. Lane has no chance of “beating out” Elgton Jenkins for the starting spot, but Lane has been a starter before and provides great depth on the line.

Of course he took a pay to stay in Green Bay. It’s TitleTown baby and it’s almost time.👍

#GoPackGo!💪✊

2. freefromwhatyouare says:
    May 30, 2020 at 8:45 am

Of course he took a pay to stay in Green Bay

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@222

Reading is tough. He would have been released If he didn’t take pay cut. Try to keep up little one

3. The peace and tranquility of Green Bay has a lot of appeal in these troubled times.

4. freefromwhatyouare says:
    May 30, 2020 at 8:45 am

——————————————-

Hell yes. Almost time to expect a Super Bowl run only to be beat by a legit team!

5. Taylor is a good player. Every team needs good backup linemen on both sides of the ball. This is a good thing for the Packers.

6. “He would have been released if he didn’t take a pay cut.

======

Yes, he chose to take a pay cut to stay in TitleTown.

Thank you for RESTATING our greatness!

#GoPackGo!💪✊

7. I’ll agree with, free, here, Lane Taylor has absolutely no chance at beating out Elgton Jenkins at LG.
    RG, Billy Turner is another option though.
    Anyway, he’s a very good, reliable and experienced 6th man to have in the fold, especially at the right price.
    But with 3 newly drafted O-Linemen, it should make for a spirited training camp battle for roster spots.
    Looking forward to it.

8. h0metownzero says:
    May 30, 2020 at 9:11 am

/////////////

Being I live here, I agree. In which state do you live?

9. h0metownzero says:
    May 30, 2020 at 9:11 am

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Really? You want to use the horror of what happened in Minneapolis to take one of your cheap shots at Minnesota? Grow up.

10. When Lane is healthy,…. he’s a talented guard. Maybe not an All Pro level,… but he can hold his own against the other team pass blocking. Probably a starter on several other teams.
    He’s a good keep for a team that lacked a good back up at left guard. I’m happy he agreed to stay,…. cuz otherwise he was on the cut list because of his salary.

11. $1.5 mil is cheap for an o-lineman. Especially a starting caliber one. I know he pretty much had to take it, but the important part is that the Packers added a quality depth piece and a good price. I’m a Vikings fan but I don’t feel the need to throw dirt on everything the Packers do. This was a good move for them and hopefully Lane will have a good year and recover some of his value going forward.

12. Wafflestomp says:
    >>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<
    Runyan and Hansen will most definitely make this 2020 roster. I don't think the Packers want to pay what center Corey Lindsley is going to be asking. Hansen or Madison will be our center come 2021. Runyan needs a year. And we'll just have to see what Stepaniak brings to the squad.
    Ultimately though,…. the Packers O Line got a lot better. And cheaper.
    This is probably Billy Turners last year in GB. Bahktiari is due a new deal and it's going to be big. We need that extra cap room.

13. “Hansen or Madison will be our center in 2021

=====

I am not sure what @BestFans is talking about in 2021, but I don’t see Cole Madison making the final roster even in September 2020 unless a miracle happens. Miracle would be PS. I love Cole, but it is going to be very hard for him to hold on this year. That knee injury last year ended his time in Green Bay I believe. Alex Light is gone by September as well. Gute does not like cutting his new draft picks. That has saved Cole in the past, but no longer. I keep mentioning Cole because that one will be a sad cut. Good dude.

Lucas Patrick is another player that can play center and guard and Gute absolutely loves him.

David Bakhtiari

Elgton Jenkins

Corey Linsley

Billy Turner

Ricky Wagner

Lane Taylor

Lucas Patrick

Jon Runyan

Jake Hansen

Simon Stepaniak

14. freefromwhatyouare says:
    Gutey does not like cutting his new draft picks.
    >>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<
    Don't confuse Gutey with Ted Thompson. Ted couldn't let go of draft picks even though they were not good. Gutey has said goodbye to a few picks already.

15. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    May 30, 2020 at 11:09 am
    h0metownzero says:
    May 30, 2020 at 9:11 am
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ———
    Agreed pure trash. No surprising though.

16. Oh, I see @BestFans is the stalker/troll. Silly me, I knew, but was being my friendly self. Time to go back to ignoring and not reading ALL his SN’s again.

Toodle loo👋

17. freefromwhatyouare says:
    May 30, 2020 at 6:26 pm

Toodle loo👋
    ___
    Dope on dope hate

18. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    May 30, 2020 at 11:09 am
    h0metownzero says:
    May 30, 2020 at 9:11 am

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

—-!
    I am pleasantly surprised ANY Packer fan has the integrity to stand up to waffle in a comment. Good for you cabbage!

19. freefromwhatyouare says:
    Toodle loo👋
    >>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<
    EXCUSE ME ???? Exactly WHERE did I make any comments regarding the MPLS roits ????
    Where ??? I post FOOTBALL on here,…. and nothing else.

20. Gute will keep 10 OL on the final roster and the following is those 10 right now. It will be hard for anyone to break into this group.

+++++

I am certain Green Bay won’t be carrying 10 O-Linemen on the 53 man roster.

Stepaniak is likely to go on IR (redshirt), and Lane Taylor may be dealt for a pick now that his 2021 salary is more attractive.

21. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    May 30, 2020 at 11:09 am
    h0metownzero says:
    May 30, 2020 at 9:11 am
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ——————
    Thank you Almighty. Spot on.

22. Smart move by Taylor. He’s still got a lot to prove and he’s running out of time. He’s a good player and adds another arrow to the quiver.

23. finchy74 says:
    May 31, 2020 at 2:00 pm
    1.5 million would not be enough to get me to live in Wisconsin.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

We had to worry about it? Who cares what you want?