Adrian Peterson will “without a doubt” kneel during national anthem

Getty Images

We already have our first NFL player who isn’t prepared to go along with the advice of President Donald Trump.

Washington running back Adrian Peterson said he definitely planned to kneel during the national anthem this year, following the protest cue of Colin Kaepernick, who knelt to protest police brutality and racial inequality.

“Years ago, seeing Kaepernick taking a knee, now we’re all ready to take a knee together going into this season without a doubt,” Peterson said, via Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle.

Asked if he will take a knee, Peterson replied: “Without a doubt, without a doubt.”

Trump just tweeted out word that Drew Brees shouldn’t have apologized for this week’s comments, punctuating his message with an all-caps “NO KNEELING!”

But while too many players were willing to leave Kaepernick largely alone (or at least badly outnumbered) last time, there appears to be a new solidarity among players. A number of high profile stars have already produced a video which suggests silence isn’t an option this time.

“So on behalf of the National Football League, this is what we the players would like to hear you state: We, the National Football League, condemn racism and the systemic oppression of black people. We, the National Football League, admit wrong in silencing our players from peacefully protesting. We, the National Football League, believe black lives matter.”

And while Peterson’s the first one to say it out loud, it doesn’t appear that he’s going to be alone.

88 responses to “Adrian Peterson will “without a doubt” kneel during national anthem

1. Good for AP. I appreciate this courage display of solidarity and the heroism it takes to come right out and say it.

2. Yeah I mean, if you didn’t like the kneeling before this season, you are gonna have a real bad time this season.

That is if the networks show it. And given the state of affairs, they might have to.

3. Since the murder of George Floyd expect a lot of kneeling and so be it if it will help the country heal.

4. As fans attending games, we should all kneel to show support to those oppressed!

5. That’s fine by me. Notice I don’t flip out when someone has a differing opinion. I don’t call him a racist, etc. It just is what it is. That kneeling is really going to change the world…in fact if we get everyone to agree with kneeling, racism will just disappear like magic…keep it up.

6. As a Canadian, I admire the way the US respects their flag and all it stands for. And, given time, the principles behind that flag will win over its darkest social issues. Come on States, you got it in you!

7. Serious question, how does kneeling impact racism in a positive way? If someone has the answer to that, it would be good to know. What if instead of kneeling, players donate their entire game checks to causes. Yeah some NFL players have done that…but I think many others would rather just kneel because it’s easier than putting money towards a cause. Put your money where your mouth is…

8. Go ahead Kneel chase the people away who pay your salary. Kneeling is a career killer.

Here’s a thought do your job! You give yourselves to much role model credit! No one cares!!

9. This is just my opinion, but i dont think kneeling during the Anthem is the answer… The NFL should have a moment of silence before the Anthem to bring attention to social injustice and to show support of BLM and making change. Then, eveyone should stand in union and salute our flag and all of the the great things that this country does offer… Like the NFL for example.

10. Brace yourselves, football fans…….there’s gonna be a LOT of kneeling this season. And don’t be the least bit surprised if MANY of the players kneeling are in fact WHITE.

Hopefully washed up Drew Brees can handle it too.

Either way, Drew Brees has his reasons to stand. And those who kneel have their reasons. And NOBODY should really judge EITHER choice.

We ALL need educating. ALL OF US.

Once systemic racism ends, you’ll see ALL colors standing for OUR colors before the game. Not just the uneducated privileged white players like washed up Drew Brees.

11. Soon you are gonna be a racist if you don’t kneel for the anthem. Teams are going to cut players that don’t kneel because they’re going to be afraid of alienating half of the fan base. Very sad. Too bad, the NFL had a good run, but the politics have become too much.

12. Change the flag to the hammer and sickle on a red background and play the “State Anthem of the Soviet Union”. That’ll make everyone happy. No more lies.

13. He should be cut
    not for threatening to kneel
    but because he is washed up
    just like Kap was

14. Actually, maybe you should take a knee and ask God for forgiveness when you beat and abused the hell out of your kid.

15. MortimerInMiami says:
    June 5, 2020 at 5:30 pm

6 7 Rate This
    __________________________________

Literally no one is being oppressed. Is it really that hard to work for a living, obey the law, and obey commands from an officer? What happened to George Floyd is a tragedy and never should’ve happened and I’m beyond glad that all of the officers involved have been arrested and are going to be tried, but a few evil eggs isn’t proof of oppression or change the fact that the vast majority of cops are good people.

16. the17thearlofoxford says:
    June 5, 2020 at 5:45 pm
    He should be cut
    not for threatening to kneel
    but because he is washed up
    just like Kap was

———————

He had almost 900 yards last year and average 4.3 yards a carry. I wouldn’t necessarily call that washed up. But hey, that’s just me.

17. I see someone is expecting to be a cast away too. So say you’re going to kneel and try to make everyone believe something that’s not remotely close to reality, in his case, and soon to be Peterson’s, they’re not good enough to hold a roster spot.

18. Looks like the League is making one last-ditch effort to eliminate the fan base.

19. And I’ll kneel to protest your child abuse. A grown man beating a defenseless child is also an abominable action. I feel your indignation, you low life.

20. When I visit a cemetery I drop to a knee, in respect. It’s the right thing to do!

Everyone should drop to a knee during the anthem to respect our flag, anthem, military, and to show our resolve to improve our society!

21. Why is no one seeing the video where George Floyd was resisting the cops trying to get him into the police car? George Floyd resisted arrest and by no means does that mean he should have died…but even I’m smart enough to not resist arrest. How do i know? I’ve been arrested a handful of times. If you do or don’t break the law, for sure don’t resist arrest even if you don’t think you broke the law.

22. I will refuse to watch him play, or any other “kneelers”.
    If a white player refuses to kneel, and is called a racist by a black player, will the media call out the black player for bullying?
    I support WLM aka White Lives Matter. Is that racist even though such an organization doesn’t exist and would not be allowed to exist?
    What about Asian lives matter, Mexican lives matter, or African lives matter (white and black)? Are all of those racist because they don’t support the freedom for blacks to commit crimes and avoid being arrested?

23. He will take a knee at home. He’s not making any teams. He’s sucked for the last 4 years.

24. All that is very real is every owner in the NFL thinks one thing “NFL LIVES MATTER”.
    The will waffle back and forth on every major issue int he league or outside that effects the league. They will go what lines their pockets the most whether its ethical or not.
    What other league would build a 6.5 billion dollar stadium during the pandemic, when even before the city hosting that eyesore of a stadium couldn’t fill the seats and never will.
    ^.5 billion. Do you realize how much that money could help people in all different areas?

25. The NFL needs to stay out of politics and social justice BS. This is football and that is their focus. If players want to participate in it, that should be on their time and done with professional discretion. This is how it is done in the business world. If idiot Goodell feels differently, then all sides of the coin have a right to their viewpoints without penalty. And there are many who have strong opinions that may not be acceptable to the opposing side. Pick your options carefully. As for me, I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America or our country.

26. So many haters & racists that love to post here. So many of you attack AP but ignore the bigger picture just like you did with Kaepernick. You are part of the problem and why Black people are continually being murdered by the police. If you were good people you protest & correct these wrongs.

27. He does know he is washed up right?

He will get cut and be broke in a year I cant wait!

28. jam11163 says:
    June 5, 2020 at 5:21 pm
    Stay in the locker room.

———————————

Seattle Seahawk and Green Beret Nate Boyer convinced Kaepernick it would be more respectful to the nation’s military if he knelt instead of staying in the locker room.

So I guess that would make you much more disrespectful than Kaepernick.

29. Learn to not abuse your kids and maybe you’ll have an once of credibility.

30. cueghost says:
    June 5, 2020 at 5:44 pm
    —————————
    Good Idea. Find a way to quit talking about the kneeling. Bring both sides together and work on a solution. One side doesn’t hate the other, they just disagree on how to do it. Find common ground. That’s the only way to end racism anyway.

31. sanshen01 says:

===================================================

No he didn’t. He said it would be more respectful than sitting. And I and every other veteran I know disagrees with Boyer.

32. The Houston Chronicle needs to put more thought into who they interview. This guys does nothing to shout model citizen.

33. Each and every article about this guy should be prefaced with the fact that he beat his defenseless four year old child bloody….

34. If I were racist, I wouldn’t watch the NFL. You know you don’t have to watch, right?

CAVEAT: NOBODY WILL MISS YOU…our ‘liddle’ secret.

#BabyGate

35. I’m assuming the majority of these replys are by adult men…………named KAREN.

All you “I wont watch football if they kneel” punks need to GET A CLUE. Black people are tired of suffering simply because their skin is darker than this white boy. And this white boy is sick of it too. When everybody is treated with human decency….ALL colors of people will stand for OUR country’s colors.

36. You read it hear first and you mark my words. One of these day the players in Washington are going to come out of the tunnel with tape over the logo on the sides of their helmets and flatly refuse to take the tape off in order to play the game. They will take matters into their own hands because Dan Snyder says “my team, my name” and the players will say your team? We play the game you don’t so it’s not actually “YOUR TEAM” it’s ours. I would instantly become a Redsk…ERRR Washington supporter because the players will plant their flag. In the case of Washington if the owners refuses to do what is right, the players will be left no choice but to force his hand. You read it here first. THAT DAY WILL COME.

37. picksixx says:
    June 5, 2020 at 5:58 pm

*******************************************************************

You’ll never see that video unless it will suit the narrative of the left. It is hard to imagine what that would be. Maybe after this is all over and they want to rub it in our faces…..

38. Wasn’t Peterson’s dad in jail for assault or manslaughter or something of the kind?

39. picksixx says:
    June 5, 2020 at 5:58 pm

………………………….

And I’m smart enough to know that three grown men kneeling on top of a man’s torso and neck is not necessary or going to end well for anyone

40. i will gladly kneel. Sadly people like Brees want to be Ignorant so its up to us to help people understand. Well Done AP!

41. Many of you still don’t get it…..

NFL players that knelt before did so because they wanted change and wanted to make a clear point that as a country, the rights set out by the constitution were not being reflected in the way justice and equality are dispensed.

Players who will do it in the future will do it because they now see that an extreme act like kneeling during the anthem is/was necessary to get people to understand their plight.

You who criticize kneelers are basically suggesting that if you kneel you don’t love America or aren’t a patriot. Colin K. may be more of a patriot than you. He did something that cost him millions and took him away from the game he loved but he did it anyway. And he did it not for himself but he wanted a better America.

To me that’s patriotism in its highest form. It’s sacrificing to better your country.

He could have kept his mouth shut and been a backup somewhere making 10 mil per.

So if more players decide to kneel in solidarity of a noble cause, I think it would go a long way in America if every man, woman and child also knelt in support of your African American brothers and sisters in humanity.

42. Every year about 328,000 black children are aborted. Should the NFL kneel and pray to stop that from happening every year? That’s a real social issue – and you want the NFL involved, right? Ohhhhh… only YOUR social issues. I get it.

43. I personally will never kneel nor will I have respect for those that do. It solves nothing but dogs the knife deeper. The players kneel i am done with the nfl and anybody else that does it. My opinion, my thoughts and I don’t need your permission to express it.

44. I just came here to see the madness and hatred that will be on full display….lmbo

I kneel!

45. Thetooloftools: you sir are delusional. Dan Synder owns the team period, deal with it.

46. dirt53 says:
    June 5, 2020 at 7:35 pm

picksixx says:
    June 5, 2020 at 5:58 pm

*******************************************************************

———————————————————————————-

Lol…this has become a predictable but trite red herring to push a narrative to help make the victim at fault. I saw the entire video, even when he was behind the car..you can see movement, however, when Mr. Floyd was on the ground face down and cuffed, he at that moment is no longer a threat as he’s now subdued and arrested. At no point was it necessary to have two officers on Mr. Floyd’s back, in addition to Officer Derek Chauvin utilizing a full body weight knee compression to Mr. Floyd’s neck. The thought process that Mr. Floyd somehow was partially responsible for his fate is the height of wilful ignorance.

47. In order to take a stand for racial equality and social justice..I kneel! If that makes me unpatriotic..I can live with that and sleep comfortably.

48. theitalianarmy says:
    June 5, 2020 at 5:27 pm

———–

Protesting during the Anthem won’t help the nation heal. It will only worsen matters and run off people who are on the side of George Floyd. Protest strategy matters and one that is peaceful and mature will win people over.

49. truthprofessor says:
    June 5, 2020 at 5:54 pm

——————–

Thinking that sitting/kneeling for the Anthem respects the flag and military is the same as thinking prayer bashing makes you a good Christian.

50. toddheeeeeaaaaap say

***************************************************************

Wow. Now it is 3 cops on his neck. Why not 4 cops? There were 4 cops that were charged. Apparently, you were there since you seem to have seen something more than the video has shown. You may want to ID yourself as a witness for the prosecution. You could be a star.

51. mm556 says:
    June 5, 2020 at 6:49 pm
    People on here are more upset by the kneeling than the death of a US citizen

————-

People are against both.

52. How about kneeling for black on black crime. You want people to take BLM seriously than prove it. All black lives should matter no matter what race kills them

53. The future of the NFL…..empty stadiums and peeps making bets from their couches.

54. For sure Adrian will be kneeling during the national anthem, also the first ,second, third and fourth quarter watching the younger backs getting the rock.

55. There’s no need to play the national anthem before a game. End the practice and end the trama that kneeling inflicts upon the flag worshippers.

56. You kNow what would he cool….to have kneeling used as a symbol that the respective player will forfeit the days game check fo a charity of his choice. Then You will see who is serious about change. By taking a knee it serves as a sort of de facto fine that goes to said players charity and to push the stakes even further, Rodger Goodell will match every player who kneels game check. Then that will show me as a nfl fan, that outspoken players llle Peterson and Commissioner Goodell are backing your their words instead of grandstanding.

57. The country’s burning and he’s still taking about kneeling. Wanna prove a point? Grab a fire extinguisher

58. That is about the only time his knee will hit the field because no one is going to be able to tackle AD! Go Skins!

59. Looking at all of the thumbs down Im going to say that most of America is racist!!!

60. So how come none of these NFL’ers have ever protested the black on black murders in our cities? Look at Chicago. Highest black on black murder rate in the country. Why aren’t they talking about that? There definitely needs to be change, but you can’t selectively pick what you want to change. Why not talk about the issue that our elected ” career politicians” from both sides of the isle aren’t interested in fixing this.

61. After recent events involving the death of George Floyd, I do not know if kneeling as the white officer did on Mr. Floyd’s neck for over 8 minutes is the correct answer in protest of this and prior race driven police authority deaths in this country, as it closely resembles how the gentleman was killed and more in the line of celebrating what the so called police officer was doing to Mr. Floyd.

Now, I know kneeling during the National Anthem has been the way to show support for BLM and the injustices throughout the country. It was the way that the sports world displayed its disagreement with events in this country before the death of Mr. Floyd, to represent the inclusion of Liberty and Justice for all, not just some. However, kneeling at this point just does not have the same power as it once may have as this was used in the most negative way possible in the loss of a mans life.