Getty Images

In six seasons with the Browns, linebacker Christian Kirksey has been part of teams that went a combined 24-71-1 and never had a winning record. Signing with the Packers this offseason, Kirksey thinks he’s finally joined a winner.

Kirksey said that in team meetings this offseason, coach Matt LaFleur has talked about the standards the Packers have after playing in the NFC Championship Game last season, and Kirksey loves to hear that.

“I’m excited to be a part of that,” Kirksey said. “I was revved up because I’ve never been a part of that.”

“When I look back at it, I can say if I could have done anything differently up to the point where I got hurt, I would have said no,” Kirksey said. “I trained. I thought I was in the best shape of my life going into the season and it just was an unfortunate injury that I had, but it was something I couldn’t control.”

Kirksey now wants to do two things differently: Stay healthy and win games.

36 responses to “Now in Green Bay, ex-Brown Christian Kirksey glad he’s finally on a winning team

1. It is a huge plus with the shortened offseason that Christian has played for and in Mike Pettine’s defense before.

Pettine doesn’t think the last 2 yrs where Christian missed some games due to injury is a reason not to be high on a player that he feels is one of the best LB’s that he has ever coached: “He’s never been a guy that’s been injury prone, so obviously that is something you look at with the amount of time he’s missed the last 2 seasons, but overall I just think it was a great signing for us for a lot of reasons. We’re not just bringing a really good player into the room, I mean, this is a guy who has great leadership ability.”

Christian is 27 yrs old and will be leading a group of ILB’s that are quite young. He enjoys being a leader and thinks that he can make the players playing next to him at ILB better. The Packers are very excited about Christian and younger players like Ty Summers, Curtis Bolton, Oren Burks, and rookie Kamal Martin. This ILB unit will be watched closely and it’s a group that Pettine sees making big strides this season.

Christian is pumped up and ready to get this season started: “For those that may have slept on me or said, he’s not the same player he used to be, I’m here to prove them wrong. I’m excited and I’m feeling good. My pec is back. I got picked up by a great team. It couldn’t have happened in a better way, almost feels like a Cinderella story.”

#GoPackGo!🏈

2. he got paid millions to stand on the sidelines. talk a much better game than he play. running your mouth not a good look.

3. Maybe he could have done something to help the Browns become a winner. Instead of going with the flow and being someone I have never heard of.

4. Lets give this guy a chance. Browns fans loved him, and they kept him for a long time. Great post “freefromwhatyouare”

5. It’s the winning culture that ripples through the halls and locker room of 1265. It’s contagious.
    Everybody pulling in the same direction with a singular goal in mind, much to the dismay of the bitter haters.
    Welcome, Christian, and buckle up.
    We’re glad to have you aboard.

6. NinersFan1973 says:
    June 11, 2020 at 7:42 am
    Then, after the draft, he thought, “Oh, crap, what did I just do?”

Got a chance to play in the NFL? Like very few people ever do? Pretty sure that is what he was thinking.

7. He will be in for a shock when Cleveland wins more games than GB this season…how funny that will be!

8. “I doubt very much the Browns were saddened by his departure.”

Why would the Browns be saddened by his departure from Cleveland when they were the ones to cut him from their team? he wasnt a free agent but he is still a very good linebacker if he can stay healthy,

9. Just remember that this player Kirksey was a contributor to the losing and NOT a contributor to winning. He could always drag the Packers down to the level of the Browns.

10. hey ‘kirko’.. you should worry about playing instead of slinging sarcasm.. you’ll be a great cheerleader for green bay… cuz you can’t stay on the field…

11. objectivefbfan says:
    June 11, 2020 at 8:53 am
    NinersFan1973 says:
    June 11, 2020 at 7:42 am
    Then, after the draft, he thought, “Oh, crap, what did I just do?”

_____________

Pretty sure he was talking about this year’s draft, not when Kirksey was drafted. The Packers’ draft this year is pretty much universally regarded as one of the worst drafts in NFL history.

12. Kirksey played in just nine games over the last two seasons because of injuries, but he says other than getting hurt, he has accomplished his individual goals.
    ————-
    Sounds like Rodgers has another kindred soul in the locker room

13. I’m starting to get a rash cause I’ve said too many nice things about the Packers lately, but if he stays healthy his game fits the modern NFL defenses much better than Martinez.

14. cheeseisfattening says:
    June 11, 2020 at 12:01 pm
    Sounds like Rodgers has another kindred soul in the locker room
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I don’t get it.

15. Alan Light says:
    June 11, 2020 at 10:36 am

_________

C’mon Cheese, another one of these clueless, dopey, Barney predictions.
    I saw so many of these fail miserably last year.
    Almost on a weekly basis too.
    You know, now that’s what’s really funny. 😂

16. Kirksey spent more time on the sideline than playing the last two years, can he stay healy. Also known for making boneheaded plays. My favorite was the one game the browns won in 2016 against chargers. 4th and ten the announcers knew that rivers was going to throw to antonio gates, so did the fans and the tv viewing audience, everybody except Kirksey who blew coverage and did not cover him leading to almost a touchdown, the safety had to make an open field tackle. Good luck Green Bay.

17. Winning team?

That’s quite the understatement. The 13 World Champion Green Bay Packers are the most successful franchise in NFL history.

18. Sounds like Rodgers has another kindred soul in the locker room
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I don’t get it.

________________________

Coach speak player speak – if they said how they really feel the PC Twitter idiots would blow up

19. I’ve got a feeling the PACK will resign Clay Matthews as an inside backer alongside Kirksey. I’d like that look. Clay has got some gas left in the tank.
    He’s not as fast anymore but there’s enough quickness there to make a difference.
    I can’t see a rookie coming in as ILB.

20. stellarperformance says:
    June 11, 2020 at 12:43 pm
    cheeseisfattening says:
    June 11, 2020 at 12:01 pm
    Sounds like Rodgers has another kindred soul in the locker room
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I don’t get it.
    ___
    “It’s a Personality Problem” “He’s become evidently more a part of the problem in Green Bay. And his own team spent the offseason laying plans to minimize his role this year and replace him beyond that. He finished last year’s regular-season as the 9th ranked quarterback in the league and was 17th from week 8.”

21. Rick Spielman is a Magician says:
    June 11, 2020 at 11:50 am

++++++

I sincerely doubt it ends as poorly as Spielman’s 2016 effort.

22. Turd nation sure is triggered by the fact that garbage defense of green bay is horrible!

23. ariani1985 says:
    June 11, 2020 at 4:38 pm
    ___________________________________________________________________
    Purples really need to stop worrying about the team to the East and wonder why their franchise RB who has played 5 games over 1/2 of the games played since he was drafted thinks he’s worth CMac money.

24. cheeseisfattening says:
    June 11, 2020 at 3:31 pm

I don’t get it.
    ___

SPSPSPSPSPSPSPSPSPSPSPSPSPSPSPSPSP

No, that’s not what I meant. I meant; I don’t get why you think your singular opinion regarding Rodgers would ever have any effect whatsoever on Packer fan enthusiasm, appreciation, respect, and pride for Aaron Rodgers.

I don’t get it.