President vows not to watch NFL if players kneel

Getty Images

The kneeling-equals-disrespect crowd recently has turned their attention to the U.S. national soccer team, which recently repealed a rule that prohibits players from kneeling during the anthem.

The rule, passed in 2017 after Megan Rapinoe kneeled in support of Colin Kaepernick, is now gone, and those who refuse to understand that peaceful protest during the anthem isn’t about disrespecting the flag, the military, or the country (and/or those who really don’t care about the issue but think they can score points with their base by making an issue of it) are sounding off.

One of them is Jim Jordan, the Ohio shirtsleeves Congressman who has yet to face his reckoning for allegedly failing to protect Ohio State wrestlers from a sexually abusive doctor when Jordan served as an assistant coach there.

“Let me get this straight,” Jordan tweeted, “UNITED STATES Soccer won’t stand for the UNITED STATES National Anthem?”

The President retweeted Jordan’s point, with this added message for pro football from Donald Trump: “And it looks like the NFL is heading in that direction also, but not with me watching!”

It’s the latest salvo in a culture war that the President sees as a no-lose proposition. Banging this drum rallies the base and who cares if those who aren’t on his side anyway don’t like it? The miscalculation here relates to those in the middle, those who have had an awakening in the past 19 days and who regard the kneeing-is-disrespect trope as outdated.

Regardless, the lines are drawn and it’s clear that the President will continue to push the button. It will be interesting to see what he has to say once he sees recent comment from men like Bill O’Brien, J.J. Watt, and Baker Mayfield.

118 responses to “President vows not to watch NFL if players kneel

1. Who cares whether 45 watches the NFL or not? IT’s not as though he’s been a big supporter of the league anyway. He’s hated the NFL ever since they wouldn’t let him join their club as an owner, so let him sulk. It’s what he does best anyway.

2. I would give anything if Trump could just be quiet for one week, honest to God the level of his narcissism is incredible.

3. Registered republican, but Trump…..You gotta go. Country has been more divided in the past 4 years than anytime I can remember. Not voting for Sleepy Joe, but we need a change. Hopefully 2024 election has someone with some sense and leadership.

4. No one cares if you watch the NFL.

Gives you more time for golf, tweeting, and rallies.

Always about me POTUS.

5. Well we know what happened last time and this might be the nail in the coffin for the NFL

6. Who cares? Earlier in the week in weighing in on a name change for US bases favored by the military, Trump made clear that wanted to continue to honor Confederate terrorists who betrayed their country by killing Americans to keep the black race enslaved. This guy is about as Un-American as it gets — bone spurs, avoids paying taxes, runs a sham charity, and shoots tear gas and rubber bullets at peaceful protesters. November can’t come soon enough.

7. This is the time for the XFL to have a season (16 games) for every game the NFL does and when those fan bases are jumping ship it should be interesting to see who will have the better ratings. Stand tall Mr. Trump. Do not cave like the rest in a few days. Trump 2020!!

8. “and those who refuse to understand that peaceful protest during the anthem isn’t about disrespecting the flag, the military, or the country”

————-

You can scream and protest about this as much you want, but you can’t change the fact that it IS about the flag when it came from Krapernicks mouth.

““I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

Right there he confirms it is about the flag..

To horrible atrocities and racism exist in America? Absolutely and we should be looking to fix the problem.

It’s friggin laughable that anyone thinks it ISN’T disrespectable.. It is usually asked before playing the anthem “please rise”, particularly with a color guard there – how is doing the EXACT opposite NOT disrespect? Are you going to next say when “Asking for a moment of silence” that shouting or screaming isn’t disrepectful?

9. this man has never been in touch with reality
    who cares if he watches
    if he had his way, blacks would still be serving refreshments, not playing in the game we all love
    his time is past, good bye, good riddance

10. You mean the guy who is about to NOT be President in November? I’m sure the Nation could care less.

11. Will Trump and the GOP now stop attending Daytona now that NASCAR has banned the Stars and Bars?

12. I miss the days a couple of weeks ago when Florio was burning players at the stake for running routes and playing catch with each other.

If it’s not about the flag or patriotism, then conduct the protest during any of the other 23:59 in the day and not during the time of honoring the flag and the country of people it represents. By doing the protest at that very instant makes it about the flag.

Literally one minute before or after the anthem and heart of the movement (that so many claim it is really about) would have nearly universal support.

13. you know, when I saw that headline, I just wanted to read the comments because I know this one is fish in a barrel.

14. With any hope, maybe all those that vow to stop watching football will also stop commenting on football websites.

As for Trump, I vow not to vote for him.

15. This dude is sitting in the Oval talking about watching TV. Only in America could we have a TV critic who starts work at 11am also with the nuclear codes. Are you scared yet?

REMINDER: We’re teetering on the brink of a depression, there’s a pandemic and a racial crisis to deal with and he does no work. Correction, he does no work but lying, photo ops and scapegoating.

Only reason he won’t watch is that there no reception in the bunker he’s hiding in.

16. I do think that people born after 1990 has no idea of this country’s history and have been spoiled by our rights and freedom. This did not come without cost dont take my word but put the game console away and try to learn about the history of this country.

17. You guys think gamblers, fantasy players, overseas people and the average American is going to stop watching football because of players and coaches kneeling, you are sadly kidding yourself. A ratings drop in football, boo-who, one game will still “dominate” an NBA final series.

18. I’m sure he’ll be using this to bait his fans at his upcoming Tulsa rally. Let’s just hope he doesn’t hump the flag again.

19. I was just wondering, has Russell Wilson said anything about this whole ordeal? I always liked him and this makes me respect him even more.

20. When Bob Dylan went electric at Newport, someone in the crowd yelled, “I’ll never listen to you again.”

“I don’t believe you,” Dylan replied.

Same thing here.

21. There is something about being the President of The United States and the word tweeting that just doesn’t sit right with me !

22. I remember all the people saying they were done with the NFL. Then the following Monday they’re back here talking about games they supposedly didn’t watch.

23. I think I have a solution. Why doesn’t the NFL start honoring our hard working police before every game by having everyone stand. That would be the perfect time for all of the NFL players, coaches, GM’s, celebrities, and everyone else who wants to cave in to the cancel culture pressure to kneel.

24. doug ablitt says:
    June 13, 2020 at 9:18 pm

this man has never been in touch with reality
    who cares if he watches
    his time is past, good bye, good riddance

——————–

FWIW, your statement regarding his position on African Americans is unfounded and contrary to real life facts. Biden on the other hand, said this in the late 70’s regarding forced busing: “Unless we do something about this [forced busing], my children are going to grow up in a jungle, the jungle being a racial jungle”. And no doubt you support Biden, so live with that.

25. As a proud American I never publicly criticized any US President. There things that I may disagree with, but want American to succeed. Dissent only divides us at the the end of the day find common ground as being Americans.

26. I would find it difficult to believe he watched the NFL previously. He may watch more TV than all previous presidents combined, but you know he is only watching Fox News, or any others that are talking about him and supporting him. He wasn’t watching NFL games that were not talking about him.

27. Has Russell Wilson said anything about this whole ordeal? I always liked him and now I really respect him. Stay classy Russell!

28. Also asking people who attend his rally to sign a waiver.

Always about me, never my fault.

29. When the Beatles were touring America they were told that their venue in Florida was going to be segregated.

They couldn’t believe it and said either change it or they wouldn’t appear. It was changed.

The best this president can do is not watch a football game because he doesn’t want to be bothered with finding solutions.

The Beatles, 4 young unworldly lads from another country, saw immediately the injustice, the racism, going on and flat out refused to play a role in it, yet something Trump and his base – Americans mind you – continue to exploit.

30. theitalianarmy says:
    June 13, 2020 at 9:33 pm
    Abolish politicians. They are a notch below child molesters.
    ************************************************************
    Many voted for Trump because he WASN’T a politician. So they voted for someone as our top politician because he wasn’t a politician. It’s like having your auto mechanic perform your brain surgery because, after all, why would we want a brain surgeon to perform brain surgery? Make sense? Well, here we are. So, most of the politicians are ok. Everyone’s been watching them for years. They kind of know what to expect. We didn’t know anything about Trump. SURPRISE!!

31. mistahjoekerr says:

For the sake of argument you have an interesting point about ‘a moment of silence.’ These protests are not really about the flag, they really aren’t. They chose to make a ‘stand’ about an issue during a moment where all eyes were watching in one of the Nations largest sports, certainly television. It was smart from that stand point. Unfortunately you had CK as the face of this and he’s just not that smart. Personally, I wish players would protest at a different time of the game, during, before or after. Perhaps refuse to interviews post game
    Until you see real change, etc…and make your point with a microphone on your face.

But back to your analogy, what if this protest did take place during ‘a moment of silence?’ And a player said ‘this isn’t about the person who died, but everyone’s listening, it’s quiet, it’s a good time to make this larger issue known’. Interesting thought.

32. Ohhhh…we all know he’s gonna sneak a peek here and there….THE NFL is an addiction….look at the things we’re willing to tolerate.

33. The guy killed the USFL with his idiocy – keeping him away from football is the best thing the sport and the NFL could hope for

34. If you vote for Bidden, our country will fail. Trump is the future just as society advantances. Trump doesn’t want division within our own people. He stands by the flag, just as our brothers did and died in battle. Kneeling during the anthem is a-sitting on our country. Find another way to express “anti-police brutality”. Burn a night stick

35. If the NFL allows these overpaid crybabies to disrespect the Men and Women who have fought and died for this country then I pray everyone boycotts the NFL. I can’t stand these multimillionaires thinking they can do whatever they want.

36. wischeddar says:
    June 13, 2020 at 9:48 pm

7 7

———————

How could anybody possibly vote down that statement? What’s objectionable about it?

37. From the end of 2015 to November 2016, there were protests, riots, story after story about police brutality. It was the number one issue talked about for a year. Then, in December of 2016, it all stopped. We heard very little about police brutality, police shooting unarmed black men. There were no riots, no looting, no protest in 2017, 2018, and 2019. You would have thought the problem was solved. And then in May of 2020, we are back to what we dealing with in 2016. Riots, protests, looting. What does 2016 and 2020 have in common. Oh yes, I remember, they are both election years.

Trump was polling around 25% of the black vote. The Dems need to win 90% of the black vote, so they exploited George Floyd’s death to divide the country on racial lines to win back the 15% of black vote that was polling for Trump. This issue will be put back in moth balls in December 2020, only to be brought back out in 2024.

38. Unfortunately I believe it’s come to this. More players will kneel, not because of all that is occurring, but rather because they want to go against what the President feels so strongly about. If he’d just shut up about it, the discussion might actually subside just a little.

39. The tea leaves say – almost all players kneel, the media eats up, most fans get annoyed at the sideshow distraction because we like football to take us away from all that. They remove the National Anthem from the beginning of games in early October and everyone is happy.

40. What part of the flag are all these players disrespecting? The part in the Pledge of Allegiance that says “with liberty and justice for all?” If you feel there are a significant number of Americans who don’t receive equal justice wouldn’t you be honoring what the flag stands for, not disrespecting it? If you blindly salute the flag and ignore injustice how can you be called a patriot?

41. Remember those kids you saw at the stores laying on the ground kicking and screaming because their mommy said no … well they grew up and this is what you get.

42. Aloha, I plan to buy GamePass again, and also watch the Pats and Dolphins and Huston and Tampa Bay as much as possible. I like football.

I respect the Tweeter in Chief’s (whoops, the Commander in Chief’s) right to boycott anything he wants to boycott.

If he doesn’t watch does that mean he will not tweet about what he didn’t watch?

Mahalo

43. Not even going to waste my time on The Donald’s comments, nor any other politicians comments for that matter.

Kneeling during the Anthem doesn’t offend me. I don’t believe the intent of the majority is to be disrespectful and view the message as more important than how they’re delivering it. But I also understand how some could find it offensive, and some of the comments on here have very sound logic based on personal experience.

I may not agree with them, but I’m not going to tell them they’re not allowed to hold that opinion, nor am I ignorant enough to assume that because they’re offended by kneeling during the Anthem they don’t support an end to police brutality and injustices suffered by minorities. In fact, I’d even argue that the most disrespectful segment in this whole conundrum are the ones (like Florio, apparently) who are so quick to invalidate another person simply because they do not agree with an opinion. Let’s grow up and stop arguing about who is 100% right (btw, none of us are) and actually solve the problem. After all, isn’t that what this is all about?

44. So, how do the owners feel about whether he watches or not. If he’s not contributing to the NFL, will the owners want to contribute to his re-election campaign ?

45. Literally no one will lose any sleep.

And in addition, most people that say this are straight up lying anyway

46. Trump would’ve ruined in the NFL if he was ever allowed into that rich guy club.

Ultimately though, he didn’t have the money.

47. NFL fans won’t stop watching just because the president doesn’t watch. It’s not like Trump can bankrupt an entire football league.

A second time….

48. Doesn’t anyone find it ironic that a man who lied to avoid being drafted is making a stink about kneeing instead of standing for the flag. As a Vietnam Vet I am disgusted be Individual# 1/ Impotus.

49. Those that are offended promise you, THIS time they really aren’t going to watch any nfl football. Again. They mean it!

50. Every Sunday across America, 99.99% of the people complaining about kneeling have their own butts firmly planted on the couch … beer in one hand, chips in the other, belly hanging out … impatiently awaiting kickoff.

Can’t make it up.

51. Vasteelerfan says:
    June 14, 2020 at 3:37 pm
    —–

Only Trump?

52. I might watch if Kaepernick sings the National Anthem. He couldn’t cut it as a quarterback.

53. 345snarkavenue says:
    June 13, 2020 at 9:45 pm
    ——–

Funny, I remember constant talk about empty stadiums and declining television ratings.

54. The first thing Trump will have ever done to make this country great again, is lose the election this November.

55. Bunker Boy can always keep himself entertained by re reading Melania’s revised prenup.

56. Article: “The kneeling-equals-disrespect crowd… refuse to understand that peaceful protest during the anthem isn’t about disrespecting the flag, the military, or the country.”

Colin Kaepernick: Hold my beer… “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color.”

57. Ah, but your not disgusted for the handful of former Presidents that didn’t serve or avoided military service altogether? You know, Obama, GWB, Clinton, Reagan, etc.

Only Trump?

Did any of them make up some BS excuse about bone spurs to avoid being drafted? And name the draft they avoided. I’ll wait

58. The president is the world’s biggest freeloader and mooch, has a loooong history of not paying his bills; so I’m sure no NFL advertiser cares whether he watches or not.

59. kcflake says:
    June 14, 2020 at 11:58 am

If players kneel during anthem, President Trump won’t be the only one not watching

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So .. Mr. kcflake won’t watch, too.

Whoop-de-doo.

60. Hurrah for all you who clearly state that you WON’T watch football if players kneel.
    We won’t miss you.
    Don’t come back later.
    Go extinct with the rest of the dinosaurs.
    We will be retiring 45 as of Jan 2021.
    Enjoy the silence.

61. alonestartexan says:
    June 14, 2020 at 4:07 pm

——————–

Funny, i don’t remember any actual empty stadiums, just people screaming as loud as they could that it was going to happen this week, then screaming it was going to happen the next week, etc.

In 2016 NFL ratings did go down about 8%, Nascar was down 30% and MLB declined 36%. NBA Ratings have declined 46% the last decade but the NFL lost 8% one year and some people want you to think it’s the end of the world.

NFL is the only sport that isn’t in a steep decline in viewership, get over yourself.

People yelling on sites like this on how the NFL was doomed and no one was going to watch it was the worst part about the NFL in 2016.

62. So he is not gonna watch ??? Good I could care less! Who cares what the lame duck prez watches anyway!

63. I am BLACK. My grandfather fought in Korea and came back and was asked to be one of the first Black US Marine drill instructors at Montford Point. He was arrested in DC for entering a hotel through the Whites only entrance. My father fought in Vietnam at 17! He was amongst the thousand US servicemen who returned home and threw their metals away in protest. In 1975 he bought a home in a then predominantly White Chicago suburb. Twice he had the n-word painted on his property. Neighbors would intentionally let their dogs poop on his lawn, despite his flag pole bearing the American and Marine Corps flags. I was deployed to Iraq four times and Afghanistan once. In 2010, as a resident in predominantly White Naperville, Il, I had a cop pull me over to ask me where I was going. When I responded “home,” he said I was a long way from the south side. I have disabled veteran plates, a flag decal and a Marine Corps Eagle, Globe, and Anchor on my truck…

The reality is that we all live in this country, united under one flag, but that flag isn’t always representative of the treatment some citizens receive because of the color of their skin. Moreover, WE men and women who have served under those colors see that disparity in starkly different contrast to many of you who have never served (but are the most opinionated). While you’re worried about the flag, a piece of dyed fabric, being disrespected, you’ve said or done little in regards to the inhumanity many of your fellow Americans have endured.

I come from a long line of veterans. We fought so you can freely express your opinion. I might feel disrespected by it, but by God you have A RIGHT TO IT. Colin Kaepernick, Donald Trump and JoeToronto of PFT fame all have a right to their opinions. So stop making it about the flag, military, or cops, and recognize that we are one people with two standards. Do something about that or shut the heck up.

64. The country is on fire. The NFL, all other sports and the “entertainment” industry are completely irrelevant…..

65. ” those who have had an awakening in the past 19 days and who regard the kneeing-is-disrespect trope as outdated.”

Incorrect.

66. bostonblows says:
    June 14, 2020 at 10:53 am

Ultimately though, he didn’t have the money.

—–

Well, they got to see his tax returns

67. As a Trump Hater I am so damn glad he will not be watching the same thing as I. I will be kneeling in my living room before each game.

68. Trump ruined the USFL. It was a very good league with lots of stars from college. He’s bitter because the NFL was wise not to let him in.

I don’t do politics at all. It’s a waste of time. Trump grew up with a golden spoon, and borrowed one million from his dad to start his business. So no, he never started ‘from nothing’.

Like I said, I don’t do politics. Why? All the two major parties want is to remain in power.

69. spiritanimalchicagobears says:
    June 14, 2020 at 6:46 pm

++++++
    As a fellow vet of 8 years, I applaud this post.

For those that haven’t been in the military, or other organizations where you interact with people of all races, backgrounds, income status, lifestyles, etc. Or, where you have to have your ‘brothers’ back, you ‘might’ not understand.

Very good post. I applaud you, sir!

70. @spiritanimalchicagobears

First, I thank you for your service, and as an American it makes me sad what you and your family have experienced.

My father died in the late 60s from complications of medical conditions he developed while in the service. I was a child at the time. I don’t have many memories of my father, but some of those that I do have include his involment in veterans groups and participation in parades as a veteran. Another is of what seemed to me like a huge American Flag draped over his casket at his funeral.

Once the summer came my mom had a flagpole installed on our front lawn and us kids would argue over who got to raise it in the morning and lower it at night. We learned how to fold it properly. One hot summer day a few years later, while we were away from home, an unexpected thunderstorm blew though….the weight of the wet flag in the wind (my memory has me thinking it might have been a wool blend of some sort) bent the flagpole and caused a lot of damage to the flag. It was never flown again. Several years later my mom decided it was best to have a veterans group dispose of it properly. I remember as a kid seeing people burning the flag on TV and I couldn’t understand it.

Later when my mom remarried and I was in my early teens (and I liked the guy), I remember my stepfather making wisecracks about black people….I thought I was cool telling my friends the things he had said. But as I approached the last years of high school I came to realize my stepfather was a jerk and I was gaining my own opinions of the world. Sometimes I feel embarrassed that as a young teen I joined in on those things my stepfather said, even though only those two friends of long ago and my wife are the only ones that know.

When our boys joined scouts, one of the things they learned was an oath to God and country, and the part about country included learning the meaning of the Pledge of Allegiance, and helping them with that brought me back to my youth. I had long had pride in the flag, but a large part of that was it’s connection to my father. And although I had recited the Pledge numerous times as a kid in school, I had never previously thought about the meaning of the words until working with our boys on the Scout’s oath.

Which brings me to today….I’m not sure I could ever kneel during the Anthem,…I just don’t know, and some of that is due to the ties I carry between the flag and my father. And I guess we all have our own family histories that have in some way or other helped shaped our views. But I have no problem with someone else kneeling for the right reasons. The last part of the Pledge states “and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all”.

Truth is, those that stand in the way of liberty and justice for all are the ones that are disrespecting the flag and the republic for which it stands.

spiritanimalchicagobears…….I wish you and your family peace and good health.

71. If you want to REMEMBER what the stadiums looked like during the last kneeling protest google something like “nfl kneeling empty stadium pictures”. They are pretty amazing. It was a trend to post pictures if you attended a game. The NFL took an 10-21% drop in viewership. Since advertisers pay for viewers it cost the league millions. The NFL is still a mega-business but a 10% drop is significant for anyone’s business. Some fans left for a year until the kneeling stopped, some never returned. It is the owners right to decide what to do with the franchises they own. They take the risks for doing so.

72. “And yet he got elected POTUS with no political background, a bare bones political organization, and a relatively small budget. And he’ll probably be re-elected, like him or not.”
    ————————————————————————————–
    Why do these guys always leave out the fact Russia did everything they could legal and illegal to get their stooge into the White House? Seems like a pretty telling omission. Meanwhile N. Korea and S. Korea are on the brink, China would love nothing more than to snuff us out, Russian jets are buzzing Alaska and western Canada, we are a laughing stock in Europe, a world leading unchecked pandemic rages on, military troops are attacking peaceful protestors, and this genius spends his time threatening to not watch football games. Indeed November can’t get here soon enough and I look forward to the U.S. military throwing Trump out on his butt when he kicks, screams and cries he’s not leaving. Now THAT is something every freedom loving American will watch with joy as once again we return to a country of laws without kings.