Jordan Love becomes sixth NFL first-round choice to sign

Getty Images

The Packers have their first-round choice under contract.

The team announced quarterback Jordan Love has signed his rookie deal. The Packers also made official the signing of second-round choice A.J. Dillon, which was reported earlier Wednesday.

Green Bay has signed six of its nine choices, with third-rounder Josiah Deguara, fifth-rounder Kamal Martin and sixth-rounder Jake Hanson still unsigned.

Love received a four-year, $12,383,470 fully guaranteed contract, Mike Garafolo of NFL Media reports. Love’s signing bonus is $6.6 million.

It marks the first time the No. 26 pick received a fully guaranteed deal under the current rookie contract system, according to Garafolo.

The Packers traded up with the Dolphins to select Love.

He becomes the sixth first-round draft choice to sign, with Tua Tagovailoa, Derrick Brown, Javon Kinlaw, Austin Jackson and Brandon Aiyuk also having signed.

Love was a three-year starter at Utah State, throwing for 8,600 yards and 60 touchdowns in 38 games.

30 responses to “Jordan Love becomes sixth NFL first-round choice to sign

1. Has a hitch in his throwing motion that will have to be corrected. It isn’t like what Rodgers had holding the ball to high but something during his throwing process. He has a couple of years to to learn unless #12 decides this team can’t draft talent and wants out.

2. His throwing motion will not work in the NFL. He will need to correct it.

3. This will probably be the last contract he signs as well. #BUST

4. This is a good sign. Lets keep everything hunky dory. Now get into that playbook, you don’t have much time.

5. h0metownzero says:
    July 1, 2020 at 4:38 pm
    Will Jordan Love become the next HOF Packer QB

@@@@@@@@@@222

Seeing that there are only two packer QBs in the HOF…..I would say no. Sorry to burst your bubble sonny.

6. I feel sorry for the poorly educated who think the Packers only have 2 QBs in the HOF.

7. They got him cheap in my opinion. I need to be his agent, I could have gotten more than that for him. Geeezzzzzzzzz.

8. tealman0 says:
    July 1, 2020 at 7:02 pm
    Oh ye of little faith and even less knowledge, have you forgotten about Bart Starr

@@@@@@222

I remembered Starr I forgot about Arnie Herber much like you. I hate to teach packer knowledge to packer fans but I’m a nice guy.

9. h0metownzero says:
    July 1, 2020 at 7:23 pm

@@@@@@222

They have 3 in the HOF my apology (eye roll)

10. A rookie head coach took three in-place NFCN head coaches from a very competitive division to the woodshed last season. Twice. Everyone outside of Packerland assumed and predicted the team would suffer growing pains. “They wouldn’t be able to work together.” “They will make poor decisions,” “Whatever their vision of the future might be…..it won’t work.”

I’m not sure there was enough crow around at the end of a very productive season to serve so many naysayers.

Watch the Packers do it again, only better this time, They know what they’re doing. They know what they’re doing with draft picks, Rodgers, receivers, whatever. Watch and see…..like you did last year.

11. Jordan Love in all reality is 3rd round QB in a decent QB draft, There is a massive dropoff in QB quality after the top 3 QB’s to Jordan Love.. He may possess the arm but there are far more qualities of more importance of which i just didn’t see.. Accuracy, Reading the field, pass release, pocket awareness etc to which he is undeveloped and may never learn..

High bust possibility and frankly if he see’s the field in a year thats too soon..If he is gonna be successful he needs 2 years minimum on the bench.

12. deadinbed says:
    July 1, 2020 at 10:49 pm
    Dont expect any phone calls from Rodgers.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You must mean don’t expect any fewer calls from Rodgers. In his words:

“I learned a lot over those years working with Brett, things that I can bring the relationship with Jordan and just bring the mindset I went through as a young 21-, 22-, 23-year-old, playing with my idol as a teammate,” he told reporters, per NFL.com. “I’ll definitely take those lessons with me. Like I said before, I’ve always had great relationships with my backups and always loved helping those guys out in any way. The more questions they have, the more answers I have. I’ve truly embraced those relationships, and it’ll be the same with Jordan.”

-Aaron Rodgers

13. Jasonfinfan1 says:
    July 2, 2020 at 1:20 am

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Did you call any teams before the draft to share your scouting report? The Packers might’ve appreciated knowing something about this guy before selecting him. Just a thought.

14. Great news yesterday getting J-Love and AJ Dillon under contract. Not many teams have their 1st and 2nd round picks under contract.

AJ Dillon has been in Green Bay since the middle of May working out. Jordan Love moved to Green Bay early last week. J-🖤 has been working out safely with Dillon, Allen Lazard, and Dean Lowry. In just a few weeks he can get on the grass with all his new teammates.

Love and Dillon and are high character individuals and that is a common theme in players Brian Gutekunst brings to Green Bay. Gute often talks about players needing to be a “fit for the franchise” and “Packer People.” J-Love and AJ Dillon fit the bill. I challenge you to find one credible person that says a negative thing about either player.

They both are also extremely talented athletes and have a bright future ahead in Green Bay. Now that they are under contract they are officially Green Bay Packers and we can officially welcome them to TitleTown.👍👏

As AJ Dillon said yesterday: It’s official! Finally a Packer! A dream come true! Shoutout to everyone who has helped me along the way!

#GoPackGo!✊🏈

15. That must be a very, very important clipboard to safeguard it with a historic guaranteed contract.

16. Arm strength is not what makes Jordan Love be compared to Patrick Mahomes. These are 2 of the best arms in the NFL and that is wonderful, but that isn’t really the comparison.

Jordan also has that athleticism that allows him to extend plays outside the pocket and with that amazing arm and quick release it allows him to launch the ball 60 yards down the field with just a flick of the wrist. When Jordan releases a ball it looks like the tape is sped up. It’s the quickest release I’ve seen since Rodgers. It’s a more smooth arm action and release than Mahomes. I am very much looking forward to seeing J-Love throw live.

Rushing stats are not what people with a clue look at to find if a QB has athleticism. Jordan can do damage on designed runs, but it’s again the ability to extend plays and then the ability to throw from all angles and platforms, which are skills only the greats like Rodgers and Mahomes possess.

The intelligence and high character are also there with Love, which to me is as important as all that athletic ability.

Jordan isn’t ready to start in the NFL yet, and neither was Patrick Mahomes when he arrived in KC. Andy Reid has a lot to do with the QB Patrick Mahomes became. Jordan is in a great situation as well and will develop under Matt LaFleur and Aaron Rodgers.

J-Love will be a blast to watch grow. The present and future are quite bright in Green Bay. I do feel bad for those fan bases that have no hope and are praying for the NFL to be canceled for a year or so. We will pray for you.🙏

#GoPackGo!

#Happy4thOfJuly🇺🇸

17. freefromwhatyouare says:
    July 2, 2020 at 10:56 am
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Only one of the two has played in the NFL

18. I watched Love against the gophers last year, had some good runs but couldn’t hit the broad side of the barn when it mattered.

19. ariani1985 says:
    July 2, 2020 at 3:11 pm
    ~~~~~~~
    You’re a liar.

20. Give the kid a chance…that’s all he needs. It was a transition year at Utah State with a new system and the year before he was spectacular. Ariani1985…..3 HOF QB’s with another one coming up. Oh, you can roll your eyes at 4 Super Bowl wins to…….4 losses of the Vikes? I’ll never understand Viking fans.