Report: NFL to play black national anthem before season openers

Getty Images

The NFL will play “Lift Ev’ry Voice And Sing,” commonly known as the black national anthem, before every season opener, Jason Reid of ESPN reports.

Stadiums will have someone perform “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing” before “The Star-Spangled Banner,” according to Reid.

Some players, as well as Texans coach Bill O’Brien, already have committed to kneeling for the national anthem.

The NFL is considering other measures to recognize victims of police brutality during the upcoming season, per Reid. The proposals include listing the names of victims on uniforms through helmet decals or jersey patches, an idea that would come in collaboration with the NFL Players Association.

The NFL also may produce educational programs about victims, Reid adds.

The league hopes it demonstrates “a genuine commitment to the public, players and coaches and that player voices continue to be heard,” according to Reid’s source.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell admitted in a video last month that the league was wrong for not listening to its players earlier and pledged allegiance in their battle for social justice.

136 responses to “Report: NFL to play black national anthem before season openers

1. Or how about Kaepernick could’ve signed with a team if he wanted, but he turned one team down. Kaepernick is just not that good

2. I hope the players who choose to kneel, kneel for this one as well.

It’s a pandering gesture that doesn’t mean anything, specifically if they’re calling it a ‘National Anthem’ (which is not). Were it a National Anthem, or even a substitute FOR a National Anthem, then they’d be perfectly right to KEEP PROTESTING IT.

Consider the mark seriously missed, NFL.

3. What about native Americans? Mexicans? Chinese? Pacific islanders? Let’s just play a bunch of songs instead of even playing the game. WHAT ARE WE DOING?

4. Imagine if a white player took a knee for this garbage? He would be ostricized off the planet. Total hypocrites. Double standards galore

5. Hmm, this is getting less and less interesting. I didn’t realize our “one nation” had two songs… Nothing says unity like providing division.

6. Most stadiums play music composed by predominately black artists before every game already in pre-game warm-ups. Play all the music you want before- but when it’s time to stand and honor the flag and all that it represents, including the men and women who fought and died for our freedoms. — Stand, in honor, hand over heart. No protesting. No time for divisive tom foolery. Stand united, as Americans, for those two minutes and thank God for the freedoms we ALL enjoy. Then its time to play ball.

7. I believe a lot of teams are scared to sign CK, because of the backlash if they had to cut him.
    First, it is crazy to think he should be paid better than Cam Newton or Jameis Winston. All of them want another chance to prove themselves. And after he has been out of the league so long….he might actually be quite bad. Then what?

8. Sounds like another thing to divide races and bring more racial differences and tension.

9. I guess the NFL is going to have their network partners jump from pregame studio coverage a few minutes early or push the kickoffs back a little. Because they’re not going to want the heat if it’s not televised.

My bet is that the first 3 or 4 weeks the NFL will televise both, then they’ll air the black national anthem, go to commercial for the national anthem, roll right into coverage as the balls being kicked.

10. It’s great watching you losers get upset about things like this!
    What a bunch of dainty whiners! Beautiful!

Please tell us, again, how you’re never going to watch the NFL again! I love that one!

11. colne66 says:
    July 2, 2020 at 4:42 pm

I predict total abandonment of the NFL by a large group of americans.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is that a threat or a promise?

Either way, don’t let the door hit your butt on the way out.

12. I looked up the song. The lyrics say…

“Sing a song full of the faith that dark past has taught us”
    “Sing a song full of the hope that the present provides us”

Yet here we are, trying to erase the past and people seemingly furious of the present. If the past “taught” us something, and the present is “full of hope” what’s the problem?

13. cjpom664 says:
    July 2, 2020 at 4:41 pm

—————————

Honoring the largely African American league.

There is no NFL without black men. It’s their league.

14. Will they stand for their so called anthem and kneel for the National Anthem? Maybe the NFL will wind up going the way of the AAF.

15. jimmygeewhiz says:
    July 2, 2020 at 4:56 pm
    colne66 says:
    July 2, 2020 at 4:42 pm

I predict total abandonment of the NFL by a large group of americans.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is that a threat or a promise?

Either way, don’t let the door hit your butt on the way out.
    —————————–
    Everyone will care if enough people tune them out. They won’t have their multi million dollar contracts and then they’ll think what have we done.

16. Kap doesn’t have to get paid as much as Cam or Winston. How about as much as Nate Peterman. Or Matt Schaub? Or Chase Daniels?

17. Quit playing any music before games. Quit presenting a giant US flag before games. Get rid of the military honor guards and flyovers. Do the coin flip and play the dang game!

18. Racial division at its finest. They can play the black national anthem at NFL games for the 30-50 years & the social justice folks still won’t be happy.

19. Not sure segregating the national anthem is moving in the right direction here. What happened to unity and coming together?

20. Brilliant move by Goodell. Because if they kneel during the anthem, but don’t kneel during this “anthem”, then it becomes crystal clear it was always about the anthem.

21. If anyone is upset about this, the big question is why. What exactly about this that bothers you? I could see the ‘outrage’ if they replaced the national anthem, but if they play a song in addition to it, why are you offended especially given that 70% of NFL players are black?

And “well, then why don’t they address Canadiens and Mexicans, and etc etc” doesn’t cut it.

It’s not politics… presidents have been seen before games for 50 years and not one person has ever said “I don’t want to see a president at the game.” Yes… race issues are social issues, but so is breast cancer awareness and not one single person has complained about the NFLs breast cancer awareness.

Why are you bothered? Just say it

22. Good job by the NFL, this should have happened yrs ago! Love watching the conservatives melt down into liquid over things like this!

23. That is a lot of kneeling the players are putting themselves in danger for knee injuries

24. The joke might actually be on them. There won’t be sports in the fall.

25. Did black soldiers die for Black America?

American = American

That’s the whole point!

26. Why are you bothered? Just say it
    ===========

We are one nation, one anthem. It’s divisive to say one for x group and anther for y group. Unite not divide.

27. This most compelling story of this season (if there is one) will be the TV ratings.

28. The NFL is toast. Let’s see how they pay for these hefty salaries with no fans. This is America. We have one National Anthem. If you don’t like that then leave the country. Enough is enough.

29. allsyntax says:
    July 2, 2020 at 4:47 pm
    ——————————————

The point is we don’t ALL enjoy those freedoms. If you could only walk in my shoes you would know.

30. As much as I disagree with this move, I know opening day many of us will still be watching, and that’s what the NFL is betting on.

31. Oh good, great idea. Because what will definitely help in this literally insane faux-virtue culture war that the left is forcing is something that is inherently divisive and segregating. Brilliant idea, NFL. This will solve everything.

32. This move is resegregation. Resegregation based on racial lines.

Sickening.

It only causes more division.

33. Does that mean the Star Spangled Banner is the white anthem now? Talk about adding fuel to the fire. The National Anthem is everyone’s anthem. This is beyond tone deaf.

34. Keep it up Not For Long keep alienating the fans and you are going to experience what the MLB and the NBA are going to go through No Fan’s

35. You do realize The Canadian, British, and Mexican anthems are in honor of their countries. Last time I checked these are black Americans.

36. Oh man, there’s gonna be some white people pissed about this.

LOL
    ——————-
    Actually why wouldn’t a “normal “ American be offended? That is the anthem of the United States last I checked. Not a separate black anthem talk about divisiveness. Hopefully they make great money but they won’t get mine anymore

37. If the whole kneeling is not about the flag and anthem, then kneel outside a police station. Otherwise, it is about the flag and CK lied all along saying it wasn’t.

38. I would like to hear the white. national anthem played before each game and halftime

39. This is segregation all over again! Black and white bathrooms will be next! Ridiculous!

40. seanismorriscom says:
    July 2, 2020 at 6:37 pm
    Did black soldiers die for Black America?

American = American

That’s the whole point!

==========

200,000 black men served in the Union military forces during the American Civil War.

41. ken coleman says:
    July 2, 2020 at 5:56 pm

—–
    Why doesn’t it “cut it”? When Kaepernick started all of this, he was for minorities in general. He even specifically mentioned Latinos. Why are you bothered by that? There are latinos in the nfl too. Yes, there are a lot of blacks, but look at baseball. There are way more latinos in the mlb but when Jackie Robinson day rolls around they all celebrate it(almost all) and honor him by wearing #42 on their jerseys. So do you think that since there are way more Latinos in the mlb than blacks, should we just start ignoring Jackie Robinson day now? I’m all for minorities standing up for themselves, but blacks aren’t the only ones that are discriminated against. I’m of mexican and native American descent. My people have had it pretty rough too.

42. Not even sure what to say on this subject ,BUT i do know it’s causing HAVOC across the country .
    And is making it’s way into MY MOTHERS neighborhood “AND I’M NOT HAPPY” ,we have always respected
    EVERY RACE and person. “I’M 1/2 HALF NATIVE AMERICAN INDIAN OF IT”+1/2 GERMAN AND DAM PROUD.
    White people + African American people stole my ancestors land years ago .
    MY FATHER was always harassed about being a”Squaw lover” But we still moved forward and treated ALL PEOPLE THE SAME.
    NOW my mother is afraid and wants to move back to the country and leave her house,
    THAT HER AND MY FATHER BUILT 60 YEARS Ago.

NOW what the African American people need to understand is THEY HELPED BUILD THIS COUNTRY ,
    “yes it might have started as being sl-ves”.

BUT you can’t change the past “thats gone,over with” only thing you can worry about is the future and bringing up the past “400 yrs” isn’t gonna change the past 400 yrs it will always be a part of your
    ancestry.

NOW what tomorrow brings is a different story ,A DAY OF PEACE and normalcy or more days of HAVOC ?
    we already have days of HAVOC with CV-19

43. This decision, whether you agree with it or not, will cause TV ratings to plummet, wHich will cause a massive decrease in broadcasting revenues. Play whatever song you like. kneel if you feel compelled to. They are only cutting their own throats.

44. Time to rename the country while we’re at it. Not sure if “United States of America” applies anymore.

45. I thought segregation was bad. What’s next, black “safe space” sections in the stadiums like they are calling for at Rice University? Don’t these people understand that all this stuff causes division, resentment, and more racism?

46. We’ll be taking a knee in our seats at the stadium – during the first “national anthem”.

47. If some hate this country so much..name me one better? As a U.S.Navy Veteran (and vet of Desert Storm). This country isn’t perfect but it’s the best one in the world. These social justice liberals reap the benefits daily of Freedom of speech, ect then spit on the flag I’d die for? Sorry NFL. I’ll watch free TV games but the NFL won’t get another penny from me!

48. I hope I and all of you have the conviction of your mouths and truly put this league out and not watch this garbage.

49. Whatevs. Knock yourselves out of it makes you feel better.

Still not talking about the issues though. This tactic is now actually a liability to the cause. It’s become about conformity and leveraging power vs the owners.

Fallen short once again fellas.

50. Honest question here…What percentage of black Americans even knew there was a Black National Anthem?

51. It is ironic that one person kneeling actually brought about all this, but that person wasn’t Colin Kaepernick, it was Derek Chauvin.

52. There is no NFL without black men. It’s their league.

___________________

The same can be said about white men as well.

53. I can see it now. They will stand for this song and kneel for the anthem. What a way to promote unity!

Regardless, canceled my Sunday Ticket after this annoucement. The NFL is certainly in their rights to do whatever they choose, just like I have a right to choose how to spend my money. And it certainly isn’t going to be on NFL tickets, merchandise, etc. I will find something else to do on Sundays.

54. Wow how unifying. What an utterly ridiculous and divisive thing to do.
    This is like a south park episode in real life.

55. This is sooo bad.. The NFL already showed its stance when Kaep protested years ago.. You might as well stick with it cause now you look terrible.. Everyone will rightfully want their respects as well. Mexican national anthem, Asian anthems, LGBTQ anthems, disabled, women, you’re gonna have 40 min worth of anthems at the start of games and fat people in the stands collapsing cause they stand that long..

56. At this point I’d be okay with no football season. The general lunacy is meant to wear us down so we will accept anything. We all need to take a deep breath and regain our strength and our compass. We don’t need football. Or basketball, with their Chinese overlords.

57. Anytime anyone excludes someone or a group along racial lines, it’s racist. The NFL better think about this for a second as they may have a major employment lawsuit on it’s hands filed by white, hispanic, asian and even by black NFL employees. The networks better think about it too. The national anthem does is not exclusive.

58. Who appointed the NFL as the social conscience of America? If individual representatives of the NFL want to make a stand, I am all for it but do it on your own time. This constant pandering to every cause and controversy is taking away from the game and they are chasing fans away. The NFL is sliding down a slippery slope.

59. I’m old enough now that football doesn’t matter to me the way it once did. I didn’t abandon the league over the Kaepernick thing years ago because even though I didn’t agree with his decision I don’t think one person’s opinion should prevent you from enjoying something.
    That being said I don’t need politics crammed down my throat every time I seek out entertainment. The players might be 70% or so liberal but the fan base is the exact opposite. If I’m going to get politics all season I will tune out and so will a lot of other people. I hope things change in the future.

60. America is the real only nation with many different ‘races’ of people. We no longer strive to be a melting pot, we celebrate individualism. That will continue to cause racial strife.

61. footballpat says:
    July 2, 2020 at 8:02 pm
    allsyntax says:
    July 2, 2020 at 4:47 pm
    ——————————————

And what freedoms are you denied? Be specific

62. Performing “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing” would be very inspiring, but IMO, STATE OF THE UNION by Public Enemy is much more relevant to the times.

63. All of this just divides even more. Identity politics is about dividing people, just like Marxism from which it sprang. It’s “People of Color of the world unite!” instead of “Workers of the world unite!”

64. So one question what flag will be flying ?? New black national flag too ?? Let’s gets to the truth as this move has nothing to do with police brutality but everything to do with a weak attempt at replacing the actual National Anthem with a black only defined national anthem. Have Antifa as the honor guard and get a Pelosi & Schumer duet for opening game ?

65. Of course, a team signing free agent quarterback Colin Kaepernick likely would be seen as more of a show of faith than anything else the league can say or do.

And the band played on.

How long will the kaepernick whine-fest go on? Find someone worthy and we’ll all agree that now there’s an individual we can get behind?! Not the ‘Cops are Pigs’, pro-Castro, Bisciotti’s a racist and bigot, I sued the NFL, I’m being blackballed (even though I’ve had multiple deals I’ve turned down or wrecked)… oh, and I had a tryout that 26 teams were going to show up for and I took my ball and went elsewhere. Exactly, what show of faith is that? That a team’s nuts?!

66. Can’t wait to see how the league works Kente cloth into the uniforms. Pandering at it’s finest.

67. Never heard of this song or a black national anthem before, so I looked it up. Nothing fancy just a quick YouTube search. So it sounds a lot like a Gospel song, and is not bad at all. It was written in 1900 by James Weldon Johnson as a poem. His brother J. Rosamond Johnson added music to it in 1905. But I’m not sure that the BLM movement would agree with the words of the song, including being taught by the dark past, hope that the present has brought, and of course faith, heaven, and God. But I have zero problem with the song after hearing it.

My question is are they going to do this before or after they bring out the American flag? Just wondering.

As far as names of victims from Police brutality, not sure about that one. Who is picking the names? The reason I ask is because names always seem to be brought up that are not victims like Micheal Brown. The “hands up don’t shot” was a lie that is still being spread. Not here to debate if there are victims because of course there are. But if I see somebody who was a bad person and was beating a cop (cop had a broken face) being put out there as a victim then yes that will be it for me.

68. Now imagine if a white player kneeled during this anthem to protest black on white violence

69. I hope every freaking white person stop going to the games and watching on TV.
    This is more racial than anything I’ve heard, will it be ok if the white players kneel during the so called black athem,segregation at a time we should be pulling together.
    Like I say about all this foolish racial violence that’s not about black lives anymore, America was built on slavery so unless America don’t want any history lets break every monument and change every name that’s white cus all whites benefited from slavery one way or another.
    Let’s play ball and leave the foolishness outside the stadiums, America has one athem anything, trying to undermine it should amount to treason

70. Why do draft dodgers and people who did not volunteer for military service stand for the national anthem? Why are you all not complaining about hockey venues playing the Canadian national anthem before games? And how about Olympic ceremonies playing the gold medal winner’s national song? For many 2020 will be a great year.

71. lonespeed says:
    July 2, 2020 at 9:00 pm
    +++++++++++++

Just because it needs to be said again…

72. seanismorriscom says:
    July 2, 2020 at 6:37 pm

Did black soldiers die for Black America?

American = American

That’s the whole point!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

…. and then black soldiers who came home came back to segregated lunch counters, “whites only” facilities, back-of-the-bus laws, unequal treatment, inferior schools, the KKK and lynchings, racism baked into the system, and on and on.

THAT’s the whole point.

73. How are separate anthems any better than separate drinking fountains? It’s like segregation is happening all over again.

74. premiummitglied says:
    July 3, 2020 at 2:54 am

jointheblackparade says:
    July 3, 2020 at 6:40 am

________________

Because it needs to be said again….

75. No skin off my nose. I don’t think the National Anthem needs to be played before sporting events anyway, flyovers don’t make my socks roll up and down. We could shut a lot of people up by just NOT playing the national anthem, or ANY anthem, prior to sporting events.

Woopie doooo…. let’s move on to the next created crisis.

76. I think by now it’s pretty clear what the NFL/NBA intentions are if you open your eyes. They’ve been hijacked by the black players who’ve convinced them that the world won’t survive without their athletic talent. So they are going to give in to everything that’s demanded now. Because they realize that all the people who yell “that’s it I’m done with the NFL/NBA” will be sitting there on their couch on game day With a bag of chips and 12 pack in a sports hypnotic state drooling. Or better yet going to the games assuming pandemic allows, and spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars funding the people your pissed about. Talk is cheap. Need to cut off ALL aspects of these leagues from tickets to merchandise to boycott all advertisers products. Watch how fast the tide turns.

77. The. National anthem is for all Americans. The nfl is a joke. I can already hear fans heading for the exits

78. Hey nfl. FYI, the “black national anthem “ was written by blacks to honor Abraham Lincoln, who freed salves.

79. I hope all the kneelers understand that the last 3 lines of this “anthem” clearly state:

“May we forever stand,
    True to our God,
    True to our native land.”

80. Black this black that. Isn’t that the definition of racism. The people who want to apparently end racism. Are doing everything off race.

81. Wow. The level of stupidity and submission some people are willing to accommodate is just incredible. There is ONE national anthem, not two. If the league is willing to do this then will they just go all the way with this nonsense? Will there be separate sections based on race on team buses/ Maybe there should be black and white only gatorade/water jugs too, just like the fountains of yore. Don’t forget to mark the benches based on race as well. Oh, and make sure there are separate entrances to the stadiums as well. I could swear this country evolved from that mentality and now these morons are doing everything they can to bring it back without any thought about what they are really doing.

82. b07841 says:
    July 2, 2020 at 10:41 pm

———————————————————————————–

Thats probably how it will go down. Its beyond silly at this point.

83. “Hmm, this is getting less and less interesting. I didn’t realize our “one nation” had two songs… Nothing says unity like providing division.”

Seriously? We are more divided than ever thanks to someone making everything political for his own benefit.

84. “bugbearcaptain says:
    July 3, 2020 at 11:06 am
    b07841 says:
    July 2, 2020 at 10:41 pm

———————————————————————————–

Thats probably how it will go down. Its beyond silly at this point.”

Until or unless standing for BOTH songs becomes the norm, we will continue to revisit the reality of our history. Asian Americans and native Americans also have something to say about our whitewashed grade school textbooks.

85. A black anthem, and a national, implicitly white anthem.

And the US goes back to the ’60s all over again.

I find it extremely sad that everything has become an issue of politics, not of facts and reality.

86. honest question here, will they kneel for the National Anthem and stand for the “Black” National Anthem? asking for a friend….

87. The NFL wouldn’t pull this stunt if they thought there were going to be fans in actual attendance.

88. Not sure what rock I have been living under, I didn’t even know we had two national anthems.

89. what could be more divisive than the concept of a black, white, asian-american, polish american, latin american, etc. national anthem? at that point you have Balkan States not the United States.

90. It’s pretty amazing how many commentors here have missed many points entirely. Playing the black national anthem is a gesture of unity – not divisiveness. Is that really so difficult to understand?

Try for a moment to set aside your faux outrage and understand that your experience is not the same as many/most black people (and other minorities) in America. You may not believe that there is institutional racism in MANY places in America, but a little research will show you it is a fact that this is true.

It is unifying because it is allowing everyone to experience something of meaning in the black community. It is divisive only if you choose to make it so.

A big part of what is dividing this country is knee-jerk anger and trumped up (Trumped up) outrage. Those at the top want us divided – on both sides. The wealthy control the world, and it’s much easier for them if we’re all at each other’s throats.

So just relax and see if you can find some meaning and a different perspective when you hear the song. How about we open our minds a bit, rather than retreating from each other in bitterness and rage?