Packers CEO Mark Murphy on the pandemic: “Time is no longer on our side”

Getty Images

The Packers don’t have a traditional owner. CEO Mark Murphy is the closest they have to one. And with not many owners talking publicly about the challenges confronting the NFL in a pandemic, anything any of them say (even one who isn’t really an owner but close enough) is significant.

Here’s what Murphy said about the current situation in a monthly online column posted Saturday: “With training camps set to start in less than a month and with COVID-19 showing no signs of slowing down, the Packers will have to make several difficult decisions in the coming weeks. Since the pandemic arrived earlier this year, NFL teams have had the benefit of time. Unlike professional basketball, hockey and baseball teams who were either in the middle of their seasons or about to start, we were in the beginning of our offseason. NFL teams were able to handle free agency, the draft and their entire offseason programs virtually. We’ve made decisions along the way, but the major ones we’ve been able to put off until we have more information. With so much uncertainty, it has made sense that we have not made decisions until we absolutely have to. As we near the start of training camp, though (rookies will start practice on July 21 and veterans on the 28th), time is no longer on our side.”

He’s right about that. Time isn’t on the NFL’s side. Agreements need to be struck with the union, and decisions need to be made about the contours of training camp, the preseason (if there is one), and the regular season.

With July 4 now in the rear-view mirror, it’s expected that the process will accelerate dramatically this week. It has to, or it will be impossible for rookies to start practicing on July 21, or for the rest of the team to be ready to go on the 28th.

69 responses to “Packers CEO Mark Murphy on the pandemic: “Time is no longer on our side”

1. I’d be just fine with canceling the entire season.

With all the political agendas the NFL (and especially the players) have been pushing the last few years, I’ve discovered that there’s a lot of cool stuff I could be doing on a nice Sunday afternoon instead of sitting in front of the tube all day watching football.

I sincerely hope that many other fans will eventually discover the same thing.

2. If America could get over itself, it may have caught up to the rest of the civilized world by now. #freedumb

3. Before the end of July, more & more statements such as Murphy’s will start to surface. What the NFL wants to do will never happen. The virus is calling all the shots. People need to scratch off the rest of year 2020, hunker down, protect themselves, family & friends. Simply, survive until a proven vaccine can be produced & distributed. A vaccine will be the only resolution — the sooner the better.

4. Making those excuses early after last year’s fluke season, ayyy there Mark?

5. Cancel the season, I’m not interested in seeing these oppressed billionaires play a kids game.

6. diego4now says:
    July 5, 2020 at 3:36 pm
    —–

It’s funny, the death rate has remained the same, even with the cases increasing dramatically. Doctors have said that it’s weakening and that they’re not seeing the severe cases that require ventilators as much anymore.

Do you really think most Americans will voluntarily take a new vaccine? I know for a fact that I won’t, nor will any of my friends and family that have already said as much.

7. Would like to thank the Chinese Government for screwing the world, just sayin.

8. You know what’s on our side and would guarantee a football season? Simple masks worn by everyone.

9. alonestartexan says:
    July 5, 2020 at 4:09 pm

**********************************************************************************

If your username is any indication of where you’re from, I’m not sure how representative of “most Americans” your friends or family’s views are.

10. Foxvalley Programmer says:
    July 5, 2020 at 3:26 pm
    The Packers Executive Committee call the shots, not Murphy.
    ———

Ok Cap’n Crunch, there’s plenty of other places in wisconsin to get a beer.

11. China DID NOT screw the rest of the world. Our leaders screwed the U.S.

…and, alonestartexan, your take is why the south … Your state included, is why the U.S. is where it’s at. Thanks a heap to people like you.

12. Isn’t it interesting that someone purposely left this little nugget out of what Murphy said:

“I have a great deal of confidence that the 2020 season will be played.”

The blatant agenda here is quite obvious.

See you September 13th!

#GoPackGo!✊

13. Does anybody remember the old saying “The truth is somewhere in the middle”?
    The problem with this country is that there is no truth or middle anymore.
    It`s either the virus is so bad we should just stay sheltered in and stop living and just hope to survive or it`s all a hoax and is harmless as the flu. The truth really is in the middle. I stay aware and have definitely changed some habits and am more cautious but i havn`t missed a day of work or avoided my family or close friends either. Things like this have happened throughout history and this won`t be the last one but it`s never been solved by being too scared to live life.

14. I need a season because I can’t imagine the amount of yahoos they are going to try hunting for the first time this fall without football. Fishing license sales and spring turkey license sales skyrocketed. I need football to keep people out of the public land spots!

15. Mark is a former Redskin and a Georgetown Law Center grad, meaning he is one very very smart guy. What he says has credence. Reading between the lines, Mark is saying — don’t expect a season. Methinks he is right.

16. Do people really have to comment how they’re not going to watch? Go. Bye.

Hoping for a season but it doesn’t look good.

17. As a doctor, I think people really have no idea how unprecedented it was to have such a lethal and contagious virus show up in the world.
    I remember news shots from Wuhan in January, and still felt it unlikely to affect the entire world.
    The SARS Cov2 virus laughs at all humans pointing fingers, and will reward humans who humbly wear masks and try to help one another.

18. Fact. If covid was bad, death toll would be at 80 or 90 percent of planet population. As far as I’m concerned, it’s overbLown if not made up entirely

19. vikinghooper says:
    July 5, 2020 at 4:50 pm

Right, you’re a specialist in infectious diseases posting on pft….ok

20. Satan says:
    July 5, 2020 at 3:25 pm
    I’d be just fine with canceling the entire season.

———————————————————

Like talking about football on the internet because that appears what you are doing on this Sunday afternoon

21. marvin1958 says:
    July 5, 2020 at 4:35 pm

China DID NOT screw the rest of the world. Our leaders screwed the U.S.

_____________________________

The entire state of Michigan is virtually mask-less and you’re calling out someone from Texas. It’s the kids like you driving mommy’s Mercedes holding protest signs that are destroying America. Lions still suck by the way.

22. marvin1958 says:
    July 5, 2020 at 4:35 pm

China DID NOT screw the rest of the world. Our leaders screwed the U.S.

—___—___—___—___—___

I agree the previous administration were the epitome of treason, tyranny and elegant spoken lies to fuel the destruction of America. You should know, you vote for these useless idiots that play you like a fool.

23. Why not cancel the season? This will allow the players to have a decent amount of time away from football to focus on working with Colin Kaepernick and others to address racism and police brutality.

Is getting paid to play a game in the middle of a pandemic more important than ending racism? Corona is too dangerous, we all know this.

We need them out there in the streets with BLM, etc. – I won’t miss the football season – their work towards ending racism is far more important. Why don’t they recognize this?

I know some do like Baker Mayfield and OBJ on my team and they are trying their best but we need them out in the fight with us, not just taking a knee or wearing a t-shirt. That stuff is all great but it doesn’t end racism – they gotta get in the fight with us.

They are ambassadors for their victimized communities and their communities need them right now more than ever! Football can be played after racism is eradicated, why do they want to play a game during these times?

24. As a person that can read the mean age of people dying is 76 years. For those bad in math most of the people are 80 years.

25. You honestly think that 1 season without football is going to erase racism? Good grief!

26. mikebacker9090 says:
    July 5, 2020 at 4:10 pm

Would like to thank the Chinese Government for screwing the world, just sayin.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

That’s a bunch of hogwash. Just saying.

The rest of the world, where they took this seriously and followed medical advice, is moving past it. Infections down. Life resuming slowly.

59 nations can now have its citizens enter and travel around the EU without quarantine — but NOT the US. Thank know-it-all mismanagement from day1 from our president and his GOP lackeys at the fed and state level for that.

How did that reopening in Florida, Texas, and Arizona go? So fast to reopen, now highest rates of infection yet.

Every horror movie starts when the politicians choose to ignore the doctors. Just like here.

Just sayin.

27. BrownsTownOH says:
    July 5, 2020 at 5:40 pm

Football can be played after racism is eradicated

+++++

Football can be played while racism is reduced. Eradication will take generations.

28. alwayscheatthecap says:
    July 5, 2020 at 6:02 pm
    Do any of you know when one person who has been sick from COVID?

Good point! No I don’t…no family members, co workers,friends. No one I know….weird how the media says it’s ravaging the country. None of my friends, family etc know of ANYONE that has it or has had it.

29. If they do manage to get on the field the first time a QB gets the bug teams will raise their hands in surrender and say we’re done..

30. But Trump said there would only be fifteen cases. I hats everyone so worked up about?

31. Seems like this disease may be around for several years/indefinitely like other respiratory diseases (flu strands, cold strands). Pretty sure we will have to adapt to it if we want our lives back. Hopefully a vaccine and medical treatment will lessen its impact. So I say play the season as best and as safe as possible realizing that some people who CHOOSE to play or CHOOSE to attend may become infected, just like when you go to a beach, church, or shopping in a store.

32. If I am on the practice field or in a regular game, and if I know everybody on the field has been tested negative, were is the problem. Tests would be made daily, before any access to the facility or stadium. If tested positive you go on IR for 2 to 4 weeks.
    So it is gonna be the responsibility of the player to avoid exposure.
    The financial aspect of it would surely be just a small fraction of a cancelled season.

33. Going to games is costly. Not only game tickets, parking tickets, gas and food on game day but for those that travel a greater distance scheduling and lodging add to that. If time is not on our side letting fans know ahead of time needs to happen sooner rather than later.

34. Reporting is BS too. There was a Wisconsin woman with asthma that tried getting treatment for her asthma doctors said it was covid even though she fail 3 separate tests.

35. The media is the virus…mark my words come December (after the election) one of two things WILL happen.
    1. The Ronna will just fade away…
    2 The Ronna will be back with a vengeance. Personally… they can cancel the Not For Long all together.

36. IMHO, there will not be an NFL season, I think they’ll try, but once the virus starts affecting the star players, the NFL will decide to postpone, then cancel the season. There is too much close contact in the NFL/football, one positive player can affect dozens per game.

37. Do any of you know when one person who has been sick from COVID?

_________
    Yeah, I know several. Your point?

38. If the Democrats win the nomination Covid-19 will magically disappear all at once.

39. cheeseisfattening says:
    July 5, 2020 at 4:23 pm
    More time for Packer players to play PS4!
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

What’s that?

40. theitalianarmy says:
    July 5, 2020 at 8:05 pm
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yeah, it’s affecting 12,000,000 worldwide, with nearly 600,00 deaths and 200 countries. But…..the Democrats made it up in order to beat Trump.

Be very thankful stupid isn’t painful.

41. I was at the beach this afternoon and masks aren’t required at the beach. I guess Corona doesn’t like beaches, and you can only contract the virus elsewhere, or maybe they realize it’s a sham

42. Considering out of the 5.8M residents of wisconsin, 750 passed with covid disignation. Or .00014 of the population. And we have hystaria. Just shows how weak we have become.

43. Woolly Man Mouth says:
    July 5, 2020 at 4:32 pm
    Virus 42
    Idiots 0

And we’re not even at the end of the 1st. quarter (football game reference).

44. there are many more cases with a great increase in testing. there are far more people infected then identified by testing. the number of deaths is going down and the actual death rate is falling.

No fans in the stands the season will start

45. deadinbed says:
    July 5, 2020 at 7:57 pm

Do any of you know when one person who has been sick from COVID?

_________

Yeah, I know several. Your point?
    ————————————
    I think his point – or what he seems to be implying is that if you don’t know someone who has been sick from COVID, maybe the problem is not real or not significant. He obviously does not believe that 11.5 million have been infected worldwide and 536,787 of them have died. And the rate of infection, and number of deaths in the US, is the highest in the world.

A friend of mine died from it. And I have 4 other friends who are recovering but for 3 of them, their lungs are damaged and they might not ever fully recover.
    In addition to the deaths, 20% of those infected need to be hospitalized.

So, YES, I do know people who have had it. That might not be statistically significant, but for the 129,000 (US) who have died (and their families), and the 1,689,576 in the US who have not yet recovered this is serious.

At this point, anyone who is not aware of the severity of this worldwide pandemic is simply not well informed or does not want to believe the reality.

Would you like to travel to Europe? SORRY – US citizens are not allowed in Europe because of how fast it is spreading here. Trust me – they did not want to do that – a large part of their economy is summer tourism from the US.

Please listen to the CDC! Wear a mask if you are out, and keep your distance from others. The person(s) you save might be among those you know.

46. Yeah a lot of people want to think Covid is a hoax. That kind of ignorance will get people killed including themselves.

47. Do any of you know when one person who has been sick from COVID?

———

Not a good point. My good friend’s dad died last week after a 2 month battle on a ventilator and just yesterday I found out my good friend tested positive in Utah.

In both cases they didn’t believe or care enough to wear masks.

I’m starting to really resent doing the right thing and locking me and my family down and then realizing it’s all for naught because of people that don’t care.

Here you are trying to suggest it isn’t real…stop it. I would like to get back to normal. I would like my kid to go to school next year instead of being stuck at home with me stuck at home…

Stop it…please.

48. Hopefully this season will be canceled! Please!
    ——-
    Can’t stand to see the Packers sweep your team 2 years in a row huh?

49. “I’ve discovered that there’s a lot of cool stuff I could be doing on a nice Sunday afternoon instead of sitting in front of the tube all day watching football”

Who is to say that the virus won’t also prevent you from doing all of that “cool stuff” that you could be doing instead of watching football?

50. I’m caring less and less about professional sports these days.

If I see just ONE player kneel during the National Anthem, I’m done.

51. “Do any of you know when one person who has been sick from COVID?”

One of my wife’s sons works with someone here in Rhode Island that lost 4 people in his family killed by covid19.

Another acquaintance in my town in RI lost a family member killed by it.

The “I don’t personally know anyone who died from covid19 so its a hoax” theory is a total fail.

Over 130,000 Americans have lost their lives because the hill Trump and his GOP cronies have chosen to die on is –

Basic sanitation that has been shown to help stop the spread of disease for hundreds of years is a hoax”

What’s next, will they tell you stop brushing your teeth? Stop taking showers? Stop washing your hands after going to the bathroom?

Covid19 – 130,000+
    Science deniers – 0

52. I say there is no chance season happens even though I love football as much as Eagles fans idiots. I wanna see the Star on the field I really do. But after the NBA fails here in Orlando and it will because men are human and this virus is taking no prisoners and does not discriminate and does not give a damn about what you THINK you have to do. It will make it into the bubble it will stay undetectable long enough to get a core group sick and pass to the masses in the bubble and they will shut it down before long. It is not if it is when. I know first hand how it debilitates you no matter how physically strong you are. It is and make sure you fully get this part for real when active it is a virus that acts like a fungus it attaches to everything walls, ceilings, floors. There is a reason there are videos of China literally spraying/washing buildings, homes and their streets sounds crazy until you really know what you are dealing with. I hate to say it NBA season will be cancelled and upon realizing NFL not even in a protected bubble situation how the hell can they guarantee protection of players never mind older management and even older Ownership groups.

53. If Trump had instituted a national directive for mask-wearing at the very start, we’d at least have it under control as well as Canada. I’m talking on a per-capita basis. Canada is knocking it out of the park. The US could have done the same……..if it weren’t for the stable genius in the White House and his legions of Lemmings.

Make America Safe Again in November.

54. bondlake says:
    July 6, 2020 at 9:11 am
    I’m caring less and less about professional sports these days.

If I see just ONE player kneel during the National Anthem, I’m done.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Well, if you’re fortunate you’ll have an epiphany and come to your own conclusion it’s not about the flag. That would be fortunate for all of us. When it happens, please feel free to re-join us.

55. If the Democrats win the nomination Covid-19 will magically disappear all at once.
    ——
    And here we have it folks. Proof that people actually believe this is a political issue. What about all the other countries around the globe that have been ravaged? Will it disappear in those places as well? Just how deep does your rabbit hole go?

56. All things considered, it’s probably in the league’s best interest if they cancel.

57. Good. One less year of wear-and-tear on Rodgers, while Love gets a free learning curve year under his belt.