Josh Gordon’s Super Bowl ring up for auction

Getty Images

Suspended wide receiver Josh Gordon‘s Super Bowl ring will be sold at an upcoming memorabilia auction.

Gordon, who received a ring from the Patriots after they won Super Bowl LIII, has placed the ring with Heritage Auctions for its memorabilia auction in August.

Although Gordon was suspended during the 2018 season and did not play in Super Bowl LIII, the Patriots still issued him a ring because he contributed to the team during the regular season.

And now Gordon is selling that ring, perhaps needing money because he has lost out on millions of dollars in salary for his repeated suspensions for violations of the league’s substance abuse policies. Gordon is attempting to apply for reinstatement, but there’s been no indication of whether the NFL is going to reinstate him.

The auction house says the ring has an estimated value of $100,000.

47 responses to “Josh Gordon’s Super Bowl ring up for auction

1. What a tragedy. I wish he could have stayed on the right path, this guy would have been a HoF WR if he kept his head in the game.

2. SWFLPC.INC says:
    July 8, 2020 at 2:06 pm
    Carson Wentz should buy it. It’s the only way he will ever get a ring

—————————————

Whenever they drop the comment section from PFT this is what I’ll miss the most.

3. $100 grand. Seems like heartache is selling kinda cheap at this point in time.

4. I hope he is selling it purely out of motivation. So that the next one he gets he will have earned every step of the way, from August the whole way through to February. Stay straight JG, hope to see you back on a field soon!

5. Addiction is… really, really hard to overcome. I wish I didn’t know that firsthand, but I do. Could I just go cold turkey for a multimillion dollar contract? I honestly don’t think I could without a LOT of help.

Best of luck to Josh Gordon

6. I wouldn’t pay $100k for his ring. Whatever the raw materials are worth maybe because it’s not just the ring it’s the player that owned it.

7. While I loathe what this guy has done with his life, I cannot help but feel form him. Such a ring is a rare commodity and his team thought highly enough of him to give him a ring. I do believe in forgiveness, but he’s really used up his NFL level ones. I hope he takes his life from this moment forward and makes something of it. Redemption is always a precious gift when someone finally accepts his place in his situation and rises above through helping others.

This is truly sad.

8. SWFLPC.INC says:
    July 8, 2020 at 2:06 pm

Dak should buy it. It’s the only way he will ever get a ring
    —-

Fixed.

9. Superbowl ring from Josh Gordon? Best I can do is $50, and I’m taking a risk.

10. Jerry Jones should buy it; It’s the only way he’ll see a ring in the new millennium.

11. This will be the last time you will hear the Patriots and Superbowl in the same sentence for a while…

12. Why would anyone pay money to have something that represents someone else’s accomplishments?

13. Dam shame all the talent in the world… Addiction… ruins many a good man and women

14. Hey, (fill in the blank) should buy it…it’s the only way he’ll ever get a ring!!!!

Wow, that joke got old real quick.

15. Damn. If I won a SB ring, I’d be buried with it on my finger. That’s the last thing I would give up.

16. It’s not sad. He voluntarily put crap into his system. He’s had 25 warnings already. What a loser

17. Lamar Jacksons rumored to be interested in it as he’ll probably never win one himself.

18. After he pays auction fee, he will be lucky to have 80k. That will last him about 3 weeks.

19. A lot of former players ended up auctioning their rings. Otherwise they just sit in the closet for years, gathering dust.

20. Haha Josh Gordon is a joke! Born with all world talent but would rather smoke weed instead of making millions

21. Let the guy play.

FACT – there are only 17 states which do not have some sort of Marijuana legalization in place. that means 67+% of states don’t mind it.

FACT – Marijuana has been used for medicinal purposes for thousands of years. It is much safer than pharmaceutical pills. NFL players are in constant pain. I know a woman who’s retired NFL-player husband shot himself because he was in pain all the time.

22. Really too bad. I don’t know him as a person and I don’t know what demons he fights, but he was an all world talent. Big. Fast. Soft hands. Made his QBs look like Pro Bowlers. Addiction destroys lives.

23. Sad. Just sad. The guy could have made over $100M playing football but decided getting high was more important. It’s not like teams didn’t try. The Patriots had people following him around 24×7 to help keep him clean but he got away from them and sure enough failed a test shortly thereafter. He’s had tons of help. At some point he has to make the choice to stop. He made the choice that getting high was more important. Way to ruin your life and a likely Hall-of-Fame career.

24. deadinbed says:
    July 8, 2020 at 3:21 pm

Well it might help if he’d actually won a SB ring. He didn’t play in the game and while he “helped” during regular season play….yeah no. He really didn’t.

25. SWFLPC.INC says:
    July 8, 2020 at 2:06 pm
    Carson Wentz should buy it. It’s the only way he will ever get a ring

———————————————————————

Didn’t he get one when Foles won the SB with the Eagles? Wentz was injured, but a member of the team.

26. If the NFL really cares about players , they should not reinstate this guy. It’s for his own good. Not to be demeaning at all , he’d be better suited focusing on getting himself together.

27. Very, very sad to read. Unfortunately, despite all the help Josh has had over the years, he hasn’t hit rock bottom yet. Perhaps after the ring money has gone, he might and will finally seek help.

28. Amazing how so many of these guys go through their money so fast. What a bunch of fools.

29. These comments are a head scratcher, Wentz has a Ring. He just didn’t play in the Super Bowl.

30. mfiafdb says:
    July 8, 2020 at 2:30 pm
    Addiction is a disease… sadly.

Addiction is a CHOICE
    Cancer is a disease

31. Sad story. When the Patriots had their ring ceremony and dinner at Kraft’s house that off season Gordon wasn’t there, obviously. Still, some of his teammates grabbed a blank place card and wrote his name on it to save him a seat at the table. All reports were his teammates really enjoyed him in the locker room and in the building he was a great guy. It’s a sad story but a good reminder that addiction can take down anyone. Still hoping he can figure things out and get his life back.

32. Aloha –
    I’ve been a Pats fan since 1974 (The Patsies).
    I feel sad that Gordon is selling his ring. Some things can not be replaced.

I hope he is not that desperate for cash.

Maybe he is mad at the Pats?

33. Why should anyone buy it? They can buy knockoffs on the internet for peanuts.

34. And now Gordon is selling that ring, perhaps needing money because he has lost out on millions of dollars in salary for his repeated suspensions for violations of the league’s substance abuse policies.
    ______________

That’s quite a low blow. He’s made more money than a ton of other players, with an estimated career earnings of $6 million.

Its more likely that the ring means nothing to Gordon and if some idiot will pay $100k for it, he would rather do something else with that money.

35. Wuy would anyone pay money to have something that represents someone else’s accomplishments?
    _________________________

The same reason people wear jerseys with another mans name on the back. That’s something I will never get.

36. daddeeo says:
    July 8, 2020 at 4:29 pm
    Let the guy play.

==================
    FACT – If my employer was willing to pay me a few million dollars a year and told me I was not allowed to use caffeine, I would wait about 10 years to have another cup of Joe. And coffee is legal in 100% of US States.

I hope Mr. Gordon gets whatever help he may need to live a happy and productive, and long, life.

37. he prob felt he didn’t earn it and is trying to motivate himself this upcoming season