Cam Newton begins studying the Patriots’ “calculus”-like playbook

Getty Images

Cam Newton officially signed with the Patriots on Wednesday, and he’s now at work studying the playbook.

Newton posted on Instagram a picture of himself studying his new team’s playbook, and he wrote that teammate Julian Edelman has warned him that it’s not easy.

“This s–t calculus!” Newton wrote, attributing that quote to Edelman.

Most of Newton’s offensive teammates have been with the Patriots before and played for coach Bill Belichick and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, and so they’re used to doing the calculus it takes to learn the playbook. Newton will need to be up to speed to start when the season starts in Week One.

67 responses to “Cam Newton begins studying the Patriots’ “calculus”-like playbook

1. I hope Bill put a page in there about attempting to recover your own fumbles… especially in the super bowl.

2. arealisticpackerfan says:
    July 9, 2020 at 11:24 am

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No need, they won’t be back in a SB with him…

3. First time Cam gets chased out of the pocket, all that “Calculus” will go out the window.
    Belichik better have a big supply of rolaids in his hoodie.

4. For a humble guy like Cam he’ll have no problem picking it up.
    Superman to the rescue.

5. BB is going to platoon QBs, like RBs. It’s going to be interesting.

I sure hope they play in 2020

6. Kinda brings home the saying that the Patriots are playing chess while other teams play checkers. That said Cam is a great athlete but never impressed me as the Boris Spassky/Bobby Fischer type.

7. They’ll scale it back like they did for Brissett, but they will eventually test him with the more Brady like Erhardt/Perkins system with the smattering of the McDaniels West Coast concepts they have been filtering in for years.

What I think is funny is many in the media think BB is just going to give him the job. BB does not do that.

Right now, he’s the 3rd qb, way behind Stidham and Hoyer.

If he craps the bed progressing, BB won’t hesitate to cut him especially if Stidham looks sharp like he has.

Newton was available, low cost and represents numerous things including a big name veteran to push Stidham. Stidham beat out Hoyer last year as a rookie. BB has never carried 2 qbs, one bein a rookie back up.

That’s how sold they are on Stidham. If Stidham got a big head in the offseason, flatlined or regressed, that’s a different story.

BB plays chess, others play checkers.

8. Page 4:
    If you fumble the ball, jump on it immediately. Dive if you must, run if you must, head first all in. Recover the fumble at all costs.

Page 5:
    Just throw it to Edelman. Find him and throw it.

9. Cam thought “Calculus” was a new couture hat designer…little did/does he know, literally.

10. More time studying…less time planning your pre and post game fashion shows.

11. It is not going to be Tom Brady’s offense. BB and McDaniels tailor it to the personnel, not a friggin system as all the nerds love to believe.

12. Page 6

Go through your presnap reads, trust your eyes during your progressions, get rid of the ball quickly.

13. BB has not anointed him the starting QB but it sure looks like the players are expecting him to start. I would be surprised if he doesn’t become no1 on the depth chart.

14. I’m really hoping Cam shuts the doubters up here. Not even a Patriots person, but I can see what BB is trying to accomplish. Trying to figure out how to replace one of the all time greats at the sport is no easy task. If Cam can buy into it all he has all the physical skills Brady doesn’t. All he needs to “do his job” and the rest should take care of itself.

15. He’s a one year rental. BB will have a better option the following season. He usually does.

16. @ Antonio Brown Where Are You?

“For a humble guy like Cam he’ll have no problem picking it up. Superman to the rescue.”

Hmmm…. I thought Cam said he was tired of being humble…… And btw, Superman IS humble, just not Cam’s version of Superman, which is utterly self-promotion.
    And like Jack Ham once said, greatness needs no self-promotion. Cam will never be great.

17. I mean, if Josh Gordon could do it I give Cam at least the benefit of the doubt…hahah!

18. I could see Stidham as the starter & Cam being used like the guy with the Saints that backs up Drew…. maybe even closer to a 50-50/60-40 split to keep defenses on their heals & opposing coaches outthinking themselves on how to defend against them….Cam has more NFL experience but Stidham has much more knowledge of the Patriots playbook at this juncture….. just sayin I wouldn’t be shocked to see things unfold like that….

19. 4evrnyt says:
    July 9, 2020 at 12:06 pm

LMAO, like Cam would have any idea what Calculus even looks like.

—————–

That was my immediate reaction too. In his defense, Auburn wasn’t paying his dad for him to be a scholar.

20. dirtydawg44 says:
    July 9, 2020 at 1:10 pm

======

Quick understanding of a playbook shows why he could have been a great: all the physical tools and even smart with his routes and understanding the smaller details so quick from team to team

It was his off field life that was his downfall

21. Jimmypinthe416 says:
    July 9, 2020 at 12:43 pm
    Calculus and Newton in the same sentence. Lmaooo
    ———————————————-
    Unless you’re talking about Isaac.

22. Jimmypinthe416 says:
    July 9, 2020 at 12:43 pm
    Calculus and Newton in the same sentence. Lmaooo

Isaac Newton invented calculus, so those two words absolutely belong in the same sentence. Cam Newton will figure out the “football version”, he’s a smart guy.

23. It’w football.

Try biosciences. Everyone has an opinion here about how that works.

24. Calculus should be easy for him after some of his on field tutorials of Newton’s (related?) First Law of Motion. As professor Cam clearly demonstrated during the Super Bowl, an object (Cam) with a velcity (V) of zero and an acceleration (A) of zero will remain in motion unless acted upon by some other force (like say, desire). Conversely, an object in motion (the loose football) with V and A values greater than zero will remain in motion unless acted upon by another object (Cam). Follow the bouncing ball…

25. deadinbed says:
    July 9, 2020 at 12:46 pm

10 3 Rate This

————

Well, he had Garoppolo ready to go and Stidham is that guy, quite possibly in 2020 (if there is a season).

26. touchback6 says:
    July 9, 2020 at 12:09 pm

Right now, he’s the 3rd qb, way behind Stidham and Hoyer.

——-

What is funny to the rest of us is that you think you know more about this than any other average joe.

27. kissbillsrings says:
    July 9, 2020 at 1:21 pm

0 0 Rate This

————-

My guess as well, especially early. Practice all the RPO gimmick garbage early eiron and let each master like 30 plays on either side o fb the playbook and if Stidham continues to progress, they may use Newton less than they thought, albeit times when it is gameplan specific.

If it works and Newton has no ego, the Pats offense will be a nightmare to prepare for every week.

With that in mind, there is ZERO gamefilm on NE’s offense this year.

I have NE upsetting both Seattle and KC. NE’s loaded D and STs, both possibly improved from last year with primadonna Brady gone, are reasons why.

28. SWFLPC.INC says:
    July 9, 2020 at 1:52 pm
    touchback6 says:
    July 9, 2020 at 12:09 pm

Right now, he’s the 3rd qb, way behind Stidham and Hoyer.

——-

0 1

———-

Have a nice day!

29. nunya says:
    July 9, 2020 at 12:49 pm
    Bringing arithmetic skills to a calculus class never ends well.

————————————————

Hmm. Why not? I have a degree in mathematics, and I can tell you with certainty that it’s virtually impossible to perform calculus without using arithmetic. Unless you’re dealing purely with variables.

30. No, I like facts. And, Ninkovich agrees with me and he is what is called a primary source on this topic. You are a very slow learner.

Have a nice day!
    ————————

But if Nink says great things about Brady your tears flow through the keyboard in disagreement. If you like facts so much then why do you make up things constantly to fit your narrative?

31. whereismymind says:
    July 9, 2020 at 2:11 pm
    nunya says:
    July 9, 2020 at 12:49 pm
    Bringing arithmetic skills to a calculus class never ends well.

————————————————

—————–
    My degrees are in math as well … when arithmetic skills are all that one has, no, it will not end well when that’s all he brings to the table in calculus.

32. nunya says:
    July 9, 2020 at 2:32 pm
    whereismymind says:
    July 9, 2020 at 2:11 pm
    nunya says:
    July 9, 2020 at 12:49 pm
    Bringing arithmetic skills to a calculus class never ends well.

————————————————

—————–

———————

Fair enough, man. My bad. I was confused by your wording, then. I get confused quite often, honestly. Have a good one.

33. We shall see how well he picks it up…but also if he’ll be disciplined enough to implement it. One thing I’ve noticed about mobile QB’s is that they’re very quick pull the ball in and run if their first read isn’t what they want. Michael Vick was that way. Of course because they’re incredible athletes they can get away with because they will often pick up decent yardage when they run. But I’m pretty certain that type of approach wouldn’t sit well with Belichick or McDaniels. Besides, Cam isn’t a spring chicken anymore and running then getting pounded by tacklers is not a “sustainable” plan.

34. dannywhiteqb11 says:
    July 9, 2020 at 2:23 pm

Have a nice day!
    ————————

2 2

———-

They are different discussions.

1. Nink played with Brady. All former players refuse to acknowledge Brady even ever made a mistake.

2. What someone guess how BB operates over 20 years of consistent evidence supports, has nothing to do with “fitting a narrative”.

There is evidence of BB’s style. Period.

35. BB will make it work. it may not look like the same offense but as long as Cam stays healthy, this offense will be above average and NE will win 9 plus games.

36. I’m not a Cam fan. However when healthy his ‘natural talents’ -if he still has them-transcend a playbook. BB could cut the playbook to 1/4 and Cam could still drive a defense crazy.

37. People who think Brady is a system QB OR 2 yrd Tammy are about to find out how good he really is.

38. Cam Newton begins studying the Patriots’ “calculus”-like playbook

Strange given how slow boston teams were to integrate

39. Uh oh, this is where it goes downhill lol. I wonder if he’ll be able to get by winging it on that Pats offense.

40. No, I like facts. And, Ninkovich agrees with me and he is what is called a primary source on this topic. You are a very slow learner.

Have a nice day!
    ————————

2 2

———-

They are different discussions.

There is evidence of BB’s style. Period.
    ———————————

So when you make up stats that somehow is tied to BB and 20 years of success? You make up stats all the time to fit “your narrative”. You do know you are not the head coach/GM of the Patriots, right?

41. I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t make the final cut. Belichick often brings in players you wouldn’t expect, seemingly out of amusement and they’re not there long.

Every coordinator in the league knows that Cam has never had the capacity to manage a complex playbook. That’s why he’s had to use his physical tools all of his career. When his body breaks down at all; he’s worthless, when other QBs can play hurt.

I’m glad I’m not a New England fan. I’m a Redskins fan as it is and already suffer enough!

42. He’s studying their calculus type playbook? The Patriots are in trouble then. Cam never took calculus in high school and only had to take a core mathematics course in college. He could tell you how much three sandwiches from the dollar menu would cost with tax, but don’t ask him to explain the frameworks of change.

43. What are the chances Cam took Calculus during his collegiate stints at UF, the JC and Auburn?

44. Jimmypinthe416 says:
    July 9, 2020 at 12:43 pm
    Calculus and Newton in the same sentence. Lmaooo

***********************************

It’s ok to have Calculus and Newton in the same sentence…as long as “Sir Isaac” is also included.

45. bill will dumb it down for him. he knows his players limitations and puts them in position to win.

46. touchback6 says:
    July 9, 2020 at 1:44 pm

Well, he had Garoppolo ready to go////

The same guy that threw a pick in every playoff game he played in? Even though he threw 18 passes in 2 games. The same guy that missed a open WR in the 4th quarter of the SB? There is a reason BB traded JG to the Niners.