Stephon Tuitt not kneeling for anthem, doesn’t care what anybody thinks

Getty Images

Several NFL players and one coach have committed to kneeling during the national anthem this season. Many others likely will.

But Steelers defensive lineman Stephon Tuitt won’t be among them.

Tuitt said Monday that he will not kneel during the national anthem.

“Also I’m not kneeling for the flag and screw anybody who have a problem with that,” Tuitt wrote on Twitter. “My grandmother was a immigrant from the Carribean and . . . worked her ass off to bring 20 people over the right way. She had no money and educated herself to be a nurse. She living good now.”

Steelers players who choose to kneel for the national anthem will have the support of Mike Tomlin and the organization, the coach said last month.

“Our position is simple: We’re going to support our players and their willingness to participate in this, whether it’s statements or actions,” Tomlin said.

In six games last year, Tuitt finished with 22 tackles and 3.5 sacks. He missed the final 10 games of the season after tearing his pectoral.

67 responses to “Stephon Tuitt not kneeling for anthem, doesn’t care what anybody thinks

1. I’m with Tomlin.

You want to kneel, okay, I understand the reason behind the action.

You want to stand, okay, I understand the reason behind the action.

The message is still being heard.

2. Good to see a man capable of independent thought.You have my respect for making your decision and sticking to it.

3. I don’t recall anyone saying players HAD to kneel for the anthem. Freedom is free to kneel or to not kneel. Do you Stephon.

4. Gotta love a man with convictions! Well done, Stephen Tuitt! All while the rest of the NFL kow tows to the mob.

5. “Screw anyone who has a problem with that,” he said to all two dozen of them.

Gotta wonder who really believes in freedom when the kneelers don’t care who stands, but the other way around…

6. Love it! Nobody should kneel during the anthem. Msybe a moment of silence kneel or something but NEVER during the anthem.

7. My personal opinion is that “I would NOT kneel”. I am trying to understand how kneeling for our national anthem is going to do anything but alienate people. I do not see how this action is supposed to help anyone.
    Yes, we have a racism problem in this country. Persons who do not know this are ignorant. That said, not all of us whites are racist. I know I am not. I was raised to respect a man or woman based on what’s in their heart, how they were raised.
    There are bad persons of ALL colors.
    Instead of kneeling, let’s find actions that bring about unity, let’s sit down and discuss the issues, and solutions to the problems.
    Additionally, I do not necessarily need to have CBS Sports, ESPN, or Fox NFL show me images of persons kneeling…..

8. “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”

-Voltaire

9. schmamps says:
    July 28, 2020 at 12:26 am
    “Screw anyone who has a problem with that,” he said to all two dozen of them.

——————————————————————————————–

Do you live under a box? Of course the kneelers care, that’s why he made that statement.

10. Good for him. It’s as much his right to stand as it is those who choose to kneel. There are few things more American than expressing one’s thoughts & opinions while being willing and able to hear those that differ from your own. And then trying to understand them. And then working together to figure it out.

The bits after “while being” are real important in this Great Experiment.

11. Real Steeler. This guy is the real deal. I approve this message and support his opinion.

12. What Tuitt is really saying is that hard work and education is the key to succeeding in this country. His grandmother came here with nothing and found opportunity because she was willing to work for it. Good for her and the example she set for Stephon.

13. He doesn’t need to be congratulated for exercising his first amendment rights the way he chooses to. The problem is that it’s become a discussion because people have decided to enforce their personal views on how people exercise their rights.

I served in the military to protect ALL rights and there isn’t a debate about it.

The sooner we tune out loud mouth’s with self-serving agendas, the sooner we’ll understand how our Democracy works.

14. That is the right way to handle things, well done Stephon Tuitt. This is America we all are lucky enough to do what we want. Others should be as brave as this man. I respect this man a lot.

15. Premier League Soccer players all kneel in unison when the official blows the whistle to start the game then after about thirty seconds they get up and begin to play. American players want to kneel during the anthem then say it’s not about the anthem or it has nothing to do about the military. So now ask yourself who do you respect more and who would you sympathize with more the respectable protester or the protester who offends other people?

16. What i don’t understand is how he is making it sound like he is being courageous by not kneeling.

Kneel or stand, it is your choice. You don’t believe in the cause, we get it. However, don’t make it sound like people are trying to stop you from standing.

Other players will stand as well. Tone down the anger.

17. I’m glad he supports freedom. I hope he can find a way to demonstrate his support of equality because the system doesn’t practice equality for people who look like him. That’s what this whole thing is about

18. Finally, someone who doesn’t feel the pressure that he has to kneel.

“she worked her ass off to bring 20 people over the right way. She had no money and educated herself to be a nurse. She living good now.”

And someone who feels that doing things the right way is the best way!

19. At some point, does kneeling go from an effort to raise awareness to just virtue signaling? Awareness on its own is not a solution, but that’s what the conversation has become focused on and what the arguments are about. Arguments about the most effective solutions would be much more productive.

20. really says:
    July 28, 2020 at 12:14 am
    Gotta love a man with convictions!

—————-

I doubt you ever said that about Kaep. Convictions are fine if they are convictions you agree with right? Thing is, Tuitt loses NOTHING for sticking to his convictions where Kaep lost his career. That is real conviction.

It’s fine if Tuitt wants to stand, no one said he had to kneel.

21. knew8411 says:
    July 28, 2020 at 12:31 am
    There are bad persons of ALL colors.
    ———————————————————————————————-
    Kneeling achieves the very thing you say is needed , discussing the issues and looking for solutions . While some will find it divisive others have found a voice that has brought attention to the issue of racism and with it a chance at real change . The NFL has addressed the issue with respect and support this time unlike when Kaepernick first kneeled . Point being demanding change isn’t always easy and getting actual results is even harder but giving up the fight isn’t the answer either . As much as Kaepernick was vilified I doubt we would see the NFL being as supportive as they are today without him starting the discussion back then . Sounds like your parents did a great job in raising you hopefully we have more parents do the same with their children going forward so we all can stand for the anthem that represents a country that truly believes in equality for all .

22. knew8411 says:
    July 28, 2020 at 12:31 am
    ——————————————-
    Why play the national anthem before every sporting event? It wasn’t always like that. And as excepting as you sound.. you seem pretty upset about the kneeling. Don’t take it personal unless you support police brutality on minorities.

23. I’m surprised any of the Steelers are kneeling since they have a bona fide hero on their roster in Alejandro Villanueva. He and Pat Tillman have done more for this country than all of the kneelers combined.

24. His viewpoint is the same as mine. The Kneeing does nothing. EXCEPT upset people.

Let me just for the record: I am FOR the reason why they want to Kneel.

The method isn’t going to get the desired result. The players need to use their platform to reach out locally in their home towns.

Can you imagine if they worked grass roots style, street level with law enforcement and the local community? The visual of a team kneeling is done before the game begin, at games end the kneeling is forgotten.. the score remains in peoples minds for a longer time.

Players need to Work with people, work for people to come together and try to resolve conflict and work to try to develop understanding between cops and people.

Wouldn’t you go and listen to your starting team captain of the sport you love on the streets?

Wouldn’t you want to be a part of a solution and show your support to back a player who is trying to break new ground?

That is using your influence in a real world manner. It also shows you walking the talk… real time… A flashy show for 2 minutes does nothing come the next Tuesday…..

25. Good for him. Perhaps if those clowns who are all about kneeling and raising their fist in an overt racist salute would worry about their personal finances and live BELOW their means, there would be more success. And not a whimper from these squatters when it comes to the over representation of lives that matter in the NBA and NFL.

26. I support those who choose to kneel.
    I support those who choose not to kneel.

I do not support those who harass either of the decisions above. If we are a free country, then people should have their right to choose.

27. Homer Simpson says:
    July 27, 2020 at 11:50 pm
    Good to see a man capable of independent thought.

*********************************************************************************

I respect Tuitt’s decision on this. It’s a free country and, as I’ve said before, no one’s questioning any’s decision to not kneel. That’s never been under threat.

Gotta laugh that the first comment commended him for “independent thought,” though. Tuitt mentioned not kneeling, and then immediately references his grandmother immigrating to the US and working her ass off. That’s a great family story, but has NOTHING to do with why people are kneeling or protesting right now. Tell me how that’s a great display “independent thought.”

28. LaserJock says:
    July 28, 2020 at 9:07 am

Let me just for the record: I am FOR the reason why they want to Kneel.

*******************************************************************************

You do know that what your saying (i.e., criticizing the manner of protest as “upsetting” people) is the same as what people have been saying for decades about any form protest of this issue. Regardless of how people have protested this stuff, a large chunk of the American population condemns the manner of protest because it’s too upsetting. If anything, kneeling is one of the most peaceful forms of protest that can be done on this topic. The act of getting on one’s knee is putting oneself in a position of vulnerability (i.e., it’s one of the least aggressive stances one can physically assume), and there’s not a single aspect about it otherwise that one could view as violent. Imagine if they’d done what people in Michigan did over shelter-in-place orders and went armed into government buildings? Do you know what kind of reaction that would’ve received?

Also, players have been reaching out to the local hometowns (and the towns they play in) for years. NFL fans either ignore it, give the obligatory pat-on-the-back and treat it like a feel good story, or find a way to give snide remarks about it (“That’s great he did that. Why aren’t more players doing the same?” when most already do). Also, giving back to one’s community and forcing awareness on an issue publicly have two very different aims.

29. whenwilliteverend says:
    July 28, 2020 at 8:49 am
    ———————————————————————————————-
    Military veterans and their willingness to put their lives on the line deserves the utmost respect from everyone . To say they accomplished more then all the kneelers combined is just not true . There are other ways to serve our country besides the military . From funding food banks for the hungry to donating money for education to funding shelters for homeless which sadly vets make up a large share of are just a few . Theses are just a few things with many more that could be added to the list that many of the kneelers have done . To denigrate the efforts of those that choose to kneel not because of disrespect for the military but protesting racism by disregarding all the good many of them do is just another example of being a close minded person willing judge people on a singular issue like the color of their skin rather then who they truly are and what they have accomplished that is part of the reason players feel the need to kneel .

30. It sounds like his mother as an immigrant has the same story as many immigrants. Came over here and worked hard and found success for her and her family. What does that have to do with the issues being protested about? It’s not about you Stephon. It’s about how others have been treated. Are you fine with that? Is anyone fine with that? The ones that are fine with that are the problem and unfortunately are a large part of America. Fortunately though not a majority. Stephon it’s sound like you are OK with that. Sad!

31. LOL at the people saying he “doesn’t have to kneel”, “nobody said they had to kneel”. To those people, have you seen other sports personalities dragged through the mud because they didn’t kneel (or expressed THEIR opinion), and having to answer question after question on the subject? Apparently, Tuitt, who’s family immigrated to the US from the Caribbean, where they, if you’ve ever been to many/most of those islands, offer very little opportunities for the vast majority of their citizens, has had a different experience from some of the people actually born here. There is a reason people risk their lives to get here by any means necessary. I’m not saying that some things don’t need improvement; However, anyone thinking that the USA, or any other country for that matter, will be made perfect, has only set themselves up for disappointment.

32. Good for him, my new favorite player. Nice to see they don’t all disrespect our country.

33. whenwilliteverend says:
    July 28, 2020 at 8:49 am

——————–

Pat Tillman wasn’t the right wing idol you all seem to think he is. I agree he is a hero, but he would be right there kneeling with them.

34. People are bemoaning what happened to people who didn’t kneel? Seriously? What about what happened to the few who did? Blackballed. Unemployable in their prime.

The tolerance for those who choose not to kneel is many times higher than the tolerance for the few who did.

There should be tolerance for both groups.

Anyone who has tolerance for one group but not the other is just a poser for freedom.

35. mmmpierogi says:

July 28, 2020 at 9:35 am

——–
    You really shouldnt laughter at your own poor reading comprehension skills. Tuitt said hes not going to kneel which goes against the mass majority, hence the independent thought. Tuitt then tells a story about his grandma and how she was an immigrant and worked hard and was able to get ahead which is the reason hes not going to kneel. That really all should have been easy to follow and considering you have 2 thumbs up and a hundred plus thumbs down I’ll assume everyone but you and your 2 accounts were able to follow it.

Also to say no one is questioning anyone’s decision not to kneel that couldnt be further from the truth. Whether its kneeling or not kneeling both sides are questioning the other and to say otherwise is just an outright lie.

36. Stephon’s story is uplifting. Certainly he’s within his rights to sit, kneel or stand. The vast majority of posters who decry kneeling don’t kneel at home when the anthem is played. They don’t kneel because they are sitting or in another room. Would love to see responses of those who claim they stand at home when it plays.

37. @smithy

Who was fired for kneeling? If you’re referring to CK, he opted out of his contract, and in the process alienated himself by wearing pig socks, Che Guevara, and Fidel Castro T-shirts (among other things). If those are the people he chooses to idolize, more power to him, it’s his life. However, while you’re free to express yourself any way you see fit, it doesn’t mean others have to agree, and you will quickly find out that free speech isn’t always “free”.

38. How about we go back to the way it was about 10 years ago. We didn’t see the players on the field until after the anthem. We didn’t give a damn what they were doing during the anthem then (most likely Toridol shots to the butt), and I don’t now. The Armed Forces pays the NFL for this display as a sales pitch. Players weren’t asked to be on the field for the anthem, they were told to be out there. I guess no one gives a damn about the “fan” stuffing his face at the concessions or downing a beer, during the anthem.
    Lets go back 10 years or so, and let the players remain in the locker room during the anthem. Because when I watch a game, it’s fr what happens between the starting and ending whistle.

39. eagleswin says:
    July 28, 2020 at 7:16 am

Other players will stand as well. Tone down the anger.
    ___________

You’re the problem. You think he doesn’t believe in the cause because he doesn’t protest in the way that you have deemed is the only way. I am pretty positive that Tuitt is against racism but he respects his country and is going to do what he can about it in another way. People who respect the flag shouldn’t be branded as not caring about racism.

40. What the NFL should do is not play the anthem and see when everyone kneels then the next week play the anthem and see when everyone kneels. Then we can see if it really is “not about the flag”.

41. He shouldn’t be criticized for standing any more than player should be criticized from kneeling. That’s what makes our country great.

42. Great decision Stephon! Lord knows you would get hurt just from kneeling. Itd be nice to see you play for more than a game or two this year.

43. So why isn’t Mr. Tuitt getting destroyed like Drew Brees was for saying a lot less? Drew spoke very carefully to not offend anyone very PC answer. This dude like “I’m standing and I don’t care what anybody thinks!” Where are all the people who trashed Brees? Unless this really is about skin color…

44. PFT hates facts says:
    July 28, 2020 at 12:20 pm
    eagleswin says:
    July 28, 2020 at 7:16 am
    Other players will stand as well. Tone down the anger.
    ___________

************************************************

BINGO!!!

45. refreshing to see someone who can think for himself and has the guts to buck the virtue signalers.

46. nydre4 says:
    July 28, 2020 at 7:03 am
    Wonder if the mob will go after him the way they went after Brees.

Of course not, thanks I needed a good laugh today.

47. nydre4 says:
    July 28, 2020 at 7:03 am
    Wonder if the mob will go after him the way they went after Brees.

Nope

48. All well and good as long as he doesn’t care if guys choose to kneel. Refreshing to see many comments stating the obvious. Here in America we all have freedoms of speech and the right to protest. We don’t have to like it or agree but we all should recognize the right to do or not do it.