Getty Images

Washington defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio doesn’t want to say what he really thinks about players who are opting out of the 2020 season because of concerns about COVID-19.

Del Rio told Ben Standig of TheAthletic.com that offering his opinion about players opting out might land him in hot water.

“I have personal views that would probably not sit well with my professional occupation right now,” Del Rio said, via NBCSportsWashington.com. “I think I’ll just leave it like that.”

It’s not hard to guess how Del Rio feels, as he has tipped his hand on Twitter, saying in June that football players accept risks and making a comparison to the risk of a car accident.

58 responses to “Jack Del Rio on opt outs: I have views that wouldn’t sit well with my occupation

1. I have to agree with Jack on this one. Every one of us out there accepts the risks of working but we have families that we need to provide for and its the American way to support each other. If we can work, so can guys who play a game. Otherwise quit and let someone who wants to play take your spot.

2. …Wow.

Does your arm hurt from such a reach Del Rio? The guy must not have family that he cares about or something.

3. I can’t tell you how many times I was working as a butcher and my co-workers tackled me with their sweaty bodies and got a little spit on my gear.

4. What you *should* do is what you think is best, I’m glad it’s optional. I also suggest you, or they, research what “recovered” from Covid 19 means.

5. “And players are entitled to decide the risk — not only the risk of catching COVID-19 themselves, but also the risk of transmitting it to their families — is not worth it.”

Ok yes they should have the ability to make a decision. The same with any other profession that requires someone to “get into” someone else’s personal space (e.g., healthcare workers, police, EMTs, physical therapists, restaurant workers, retail, construction, etc.). The difference is no one else gets paid if they decide the risk is too great. I just don’t like that we are defending their right to choose while also defending their ability to get paid.

6. 50Stars says:
    August 4, 2020 at 1:56 pm
    _______________

I mean, isn’t that what they are doing? Opting out, which opens a spot on the roster for another player?

7. He should probably learn from Drew Brees’s mistake and not talk about his opinions regarding the ungrateful kneelers, too.

8. You know how you can get things back to normal and get the economy back on track? Wear the darned mask and stop going to get togethers. That’s why it’s still spreading and why the US is still largely in lockdown.

9. I go to work on a daily basis, interacting with dozens of employees who also come to work daily. None of us make near what these players do and yet we solder on.

10. Who cares if a non essential GUY opts out , it doesn’t change the world . Must be rough looking in the mirror as an Athlete seeing a total disposable occupation.

11. Old school attitude but out dated. Players accept the risk unless they don’t and opt-out. By the way, the NFL has been working very hard to reduce that risk with rule changes and concussion protocols. Players who opt-out are accepting a different type of risk. I think those personal decisions just need to be respected. If the season turns out to be a train wreck with positive tests, poor play, poor officiating, no fans and low TV ratings the opt-outs will look very smart.

12. It’s obvious that Del Rio is one of those guys who think football is the most important thing in the world because he’s not capable of learning anything else about the world around him . A perfect fit for the textbook example of an out of touch dysfunctional franchise the Washington Blanks .

13. Spot on Jack. Influenza, which has a significant mortality rate, has been around as long as the NFL. The influenza vaccine is only 25% to 60% effective in any given year, yet there is no hysteria associated with the disease. NFL players have taken risk every year that they have played and I have never heard of an NFL player choosing NOT to play because they fear catching influenza or that they may transmit it to a family member as a result.

14. Does anybody else find it ironic that many of those ranting about freedom of choice when it’s comes to not wearing masks are also ranting against football players being granted the freedom of choice about not playing ?

15. Comparing covid to driving doesn’t seem like a good comparison. A better analogy would be to compare it to driving without a seat belt. Try doing that Mr del rio.

16. It’s ridiculous that people follow views and opinions. Turn off the news, get off social media, and just consider facts. I bet without being influenced you could of came to the right conclusion about the pandemic. I know way too late. The sheep will continue to live their lives following opinions and views.

17. The risk of playing in a pandemic, however, is a completely separate issue from the ordinary risk of injury on the football field. And players are entitled to decide the risk — not only the risk of catching COVID-19 themselves, but also the risk of transmitting it to their families — is not worth it.

——so much propaganda in one paragraph. This whole thing is silly. Stop allowing yourself to be brainwashed by this nonsense.

18. Well, they changed the name but he still works for the Washington bigots. He and Snyder share some serious narrow-mindedness.

19. Some people simply think football is that important. Can’t even make your own decision without everyone telling them what you did wrong. I thought conservatives where suppose to be all about liberation and personal responsibility?

20. A career in football is not a prison sentence – there are no bars on the locker room preventing them from leaving. If they want to opt-out (or retire entirely) for safety, that is their choice. There is an extremely small window of time in their lives they can play this game; those years don’t come back. So, they can leave and the team doesn’t have to pay them nor allow their contract to advance a year toward free agency. Frankly I am excited for the opportunity this presents UDFA’s and practice squad guys that normally wouldn’t get a chance!

21. Man the more Del Rio talks the more I wish he wouldn’t. He’s entitled to his views but the more he talks the more he alienates either 49.9 or 51.1 percent of fans.

22. I guess JDR didn’t pass introductory biology in school. This virus spreads very easily…even if you’re not showing symptoms.

I’m guessing a lot of the guys opting out don’t want to catch the virus while playing and then pass it on to a family member. Why is that so hard to understand, Jack?

Yes, the individual football player signed up for risks while playing the sport. That person’s 70-year old mother did not. Get it?

23. Well, Jack, now you just half said something. Either shut up, or say it. This is just a mealy mouthed way of not getting in trouble. I hope it doesn’t work, but you work for Dan Snyder so it probably will.

24. We officially bow live in a world where grocery store baggers and fast food workers are a tougher breed than pro football players.

25. ‘…… and yet we solder on.’ Comforting to know that you and your co-workers always have irons in hand, ready to ‘solder’ on!

26. You know how you can get things back to normal and get the economy back on track? Wear the darned mask and stop going to get togethers. That’s why it’s still spreading and why the US is still largely in lockdown.

———————————————————-

How is it spreading if you’re all wearing your masks? How about instead you sick mask wearers just stay home until you feel better. You would’ve go out with the flu, so if you think you have Covid, dump your useless face rag and just stay hole away from the rest of us healthy folks.

27. Apparently if your opinions differ from the accepted “woke” sentiment , You’d be best no to say anything at all!

28. Thats easy for him to say. He’s not strapping in that helmet again. He has a post playing career all set for himself (despite the fact that he has failed im multiple places) and he will probably be coaching from a booth.

These guys have a very short window to earn their money and it depends entirely on their health. There is no way I would risk my future warning potential just to get paid this one year. Players have to make the smartest decisions for their own business potential, we live our life closest to ourselves, surely Del Rio knows this.

29. Jack seem to have no ability to express a point of view with tact. And instead takes a macho, yet victimized approach when asked. I’m guessing he’s angry and undoubtedly would fail. So for him this is as tactful as it gets. With such a glaring weakness how was he ever considered head coach material?

30. supercharger says:
    August 4, 2020 at 3:00 pm

———————————————————-

————————————————————————————–

31. This isn’t a one-opinion-fits-all scenario — even with a hard-head like Del Rio. If a player has type I diabetes or asthma, or a child/family member with some sort of immune issues or cancer, it makes complete sense and any criticism is ridiculous. However, if they have no such conditions or family scenario, the criticism is more warranted.

32. It’s not people wearing masks it’s people like you that aren’t wearing masks who are either showing symptoms or not even showing symptoms while continuing to gather in large groups that is the reason for the continuing spread .
    —————————-

Nope. It’s you guys in your dirty face rags who think you can parade around town sick and not spread your diseases because you’re wearing it. Meanwhile you’re always removing it, getting everyone around you sick. Go home, stay home, and don’t come back outside with your germ filled masks until you’re feeling better. Thanks in advance.

33. I think I agree with Jack Del Rio’s views and I will leave it at that, as it would not sit well with my PFT commenting status.

34. Astounding how the benefits for everybody in masking up have to be repeated continuously, yet, the same members of this great nation just choose to not get it. See, and they’re not smart enough to be microbiologists…yet still keep talking. Aaaargh.

If these guys want to opt, it’s no skin off your nose so just be quiet.

35. Diggityofficial says:

________________________________
    Like where do you get your “facts” from? We’re all sheep. Some of else just follow different shepherds.

36. “I think most players understand the risk of playing the game of football. The priority is not trying to be perfectly safe,” Del Rio wrote. “If so perhaps you should never drive your car.”

**********************************************************************************

Risks in playing football during normal times fall 100% on those on the field. If a player tears an ACL by playing, no one else but him and his team incur harm. In a pandemic, the risk of a player contracting Covid suddenly extends to anyone he comes into contact with, meaning that a player is essentially putting others around him at increased risk for a game. Del Rio seems to conveniently ignore this.

If the NFL had done an NHL-style bubble where players were restricted in who they can come into contact with, Del Rio’s argument might hold, but they didn’t. Del Rio strikes me as the kind of person who probably called Covid a “flu” and opposed mandates that require mask-wearing.

37. You see Jack, opinions are only celebrated when they fit the narrative. Otherwise they try to paint you any color they wish. I have a doctorate, yet I’m not apparently “woke”.

I’ve served my country, volunteer as a first responder, and work front lines in a hospital. I respect your opinion and don’t trash the opposite at the same time. It can be done people.

38. correctingerrors says:
    August 4, 2020 at 5:26 pm
    156,000 dead Americans would disagree, Jack

145,000 were over 80 years old or were dying from something else, or were unlucky enough to live in retirement homes in New York City. Not sure how that correlates to 20-30 year old athletes.

39. The chances of any NFL player being harmed permanently or dying is near ZERO. Jack is right.

40. Someone tried the “driving is dangerous and you do that” with me. I don’t drive drunk. I don’t drive an old junker that might die on me. I don’t drive new years eve when drunks are out. I watch my speed and stay with traffic. So theres a risk, but I try to be smart and safe.

I don’t know where the risk for players falls in those terms, but baseball already has two teams out. So, I don’t think its promising for the NFL.

41. Is Jack going to put an axe in the clubhouse? Since he’s using backwards “thinking”, he might as well go all in.

42. “I think most players understand the risk of playing the game of football. The priority is not trying to be perfectly safe,” Del Rio wrote. “If so perhaps you should never drive your car.”
    ——————————————-

Players opting out are often doing it because they don’t want to spread it to their newborn babies, at-risk family members, or because they themselves are at higher risk.

And we still have people refusing to wear masks – now it’s “only sick people wear masks”? The rampant stupidity in this country is really disheartening.

43. Except when you tear your ACL or get in a car accident, your family isn’t on crutches or getting surgery. There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding on the basics of how this coronavirus is transferred. You’d think all Americans would get this by now…

44. I see a lot hypocrites on this issue. I wonder how many people would pass on opting out if they could afford do so. This isn’t a standard risk situation where only the player is infected. They could infect a family member.

45. redclaw1314 says:
    August 4, 2020 at 2:35 pm

==================

Silly comment. Right now COVID deaths are sitting at around 10 times the annual flu death count, and we’re just more than halfway through the year. There’s no vaccine, there are many potential long-term effects, and we barely understand any of it at this point. It is nothing like the flu at all.

The flu comparison, like the car-crash comparison, is a red flag for the type of junk news sources that people consume. When someone makes one of those comparisons, you know who you’re dealing with.

46. I consider myself conservative. And I’m pretty embarrassed that the people who refuse to wear masks or make stupid uneducated arguments tend to be on my side of the political spectrum.

This whole “it’s not a big deal” attitude is so ignorant. Not a big deal til it happens to you.

Reality check incoming for many of you. This isn’t about oppressing you or stripping your rights. It’s about common f’n sense. Viruses don’t have political parties

47. egomaniac247 says:
    August 8, 2020 at 8:45 pm

—-

Thanks for the dose of truth. If we all just got to that place then the world would likely be a better place. COVID isn’t political. We just make it so.

It is a big deal. And as a guy facing an expiration date much earlier than I thought just a few months ago (cancer, not COVID) I will tell you all the bravado in the world works until reality sets in.