Danielle Hunter out at least three weeks

Getty Images

Vikings defensive end Danielle Hunter will miss at least the first three weeks of the season.

Hunter was placed on injured reserve today. Under the special league rules adopted because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Hunter can return after missing the first three weeks of the season.

The Vikings have been coy about Hunter’s injury, saying only that he suffered a “tweak” in practice last month. Coach Mike Zimmer indicated he thought Hunter would be back for Week One, but now we know he won’t be — or for Week Two or Three, either.

After missing the Vikings’ games against the Packers, Colts and Titans, Hunter can return as soon as Week Four against the Texans.

Last year Hunter led the Vikings with 14.5 sacks. Now Minnesota will rely on the newly arrived Yannick Ngakoue to pick up the slack, starting by getting pressure on Aaron Rodgers on Sunday.

30 responses to “Danielle Hunter out at least three weeks

1. When are we going to hear what the injury is?!

And will they sign a backup safety to fill his roster spot?!

2. That’s a big blow to the Vikings defense. That sucks, I couldn’t imagine losing your best pass rusher just a few days before kick off. Pass Rushers are probably the most valuable players on a team outside of the starting QB. QB/EDGE/LT and Corners is how I see it, if your missing one of those four it’s going to be a lot harder to win in this league.

3. It’s a neck issue. Not something to joke about or mess with.

Hope he gets the treatment he needs and that this neck issue isn’t career ending.

4. andreboy1 says:

September 9, 2020 at 4:35 pm

I loved watching Kittle push him all over the field in that playoff victory.

Great point Andre,

He is not very good against the run, but either is Ngakoue. Plus the Vikings don’t have a run stuffing NT since Pierce opted out. Look for the Packers, and other teams, to stuff the ball down the Viking’s throats.

5. Neck injuries are not good, but it makes me wonder how it was injured if he never practiced. This is a big deal. Zim is so KGB-like with injuries its almost funny. Was gonna be tough enough against the Pack with the new secondary — hope they hold up. He can return in 4 games but those 4 games are against good QBs.

6. This game will be tough and go down to the wire. It (nearly) always does. I have to admit……I’m not that excited. I think the whole season should be cancelled. There are more important things going on than sports.

7. Time to give Odenigbo the opportunity he wants and deserves. If he performs, that is your answer for next year if Ngakoue is a one and done. I think he will be very good. So weird how the Vikings have handled this. Something is rotten here. I dont think its an injury.

8. Wafflestomp says:
    September 9, 2020 at 4:46 pm
    And now, here come the excuses. 🙄

—————–
    I don’t know about excuses…but I’m sure the Packers players and coaches would agree it’s a huge advantage playing the Vikings minus one of the best pass rushers in the NFL…

9. Losing Hunter is definitely a big blow. However, Yannick and Ifeadi will still be tough to contain

10. artic19 says:
    September 9, 2020 at 7:55 pm
    There will be better talent in the Vikings secondary than the last time these two teams met.
    ///////////////
    Yes. That would be an even better, unguardable Adams (two 100+ yard ga es against MN last year), a renewed and ascending MVS and a 2nd year leap from Lazard, plus a stable of TEs. So I’d have to agree.

11. When you lose your best player (on defense at least) in the week leading up to the opener, it is emotionally deflating for the entire team.

Add to that the fact the Vikings lost both games last year to the Packers and their backs are up against the well. The possibility of losing the first game of the year just increased exponentially.

12. whatjusthapped says:
    September 10, 2020 at 11:23 am
    ///////////
    This was news to the public, not news to the team. What, you think the team just found out that Hunter was injured? Ok then…

13. stellarperformance says:
    September 9, 2020 at 7:34 pm
    ///////////
    Right?! I’m just not pumped. So many other issues happening in my life right now. Maybe the NFL can play safely and be that distraction we need. I don’t know, though. A lot of sweat and spit flying around. I think covid outbreaks happen, and happen quickly. Entire teams will be devastated.

14. Wafflestomp says:
    September 9, 2020 at 4:46 pm
    And now, here come the excuses.
    ///////////
    Nobody has a clue how this week is going to go. Excuses? Because one DE is out? Not hardly. That’s just football. Line it up and play.