Jadeveon Clowney looking forward to making plays for Mike Vrabel

Getty Images

Jadeveon Clowney has only been a member of the Titans for a few days, but he’s not letting that stop him from jumping into the lineup in the season opener.

Clowney said on a Thursday videoconference that “of course I’m going to be ready” to play against the Broncos on Monday night and it sounds like he expects to be in pivotal role on the Tennessee defense. Clowney’s basing that off his past experience with Titans head coach Mike Vrabel.

Vrabel was Clowney’s defensive coordinator with the Texans before moving up to the Titans job and Clowney said that relationship helped him decide to sign with the Titans last weekend.

“I think Mike Vrabel is one of the smartest coaches I think I’ve ever had since I’ve been playing football,” Clowney said. “He knows football front and back, and he knows how to put guys in position to make plays, and that’s what he did in Houston. When I got here, he started moving me around already. He just put me in position to make plays, he believes I’m a playmaker and he believes in in my ability to make plays. So he keeps lining me up all over the place, and I’ll keep making plays for him. I just was trying to figure out what scheme and what I wanted to be a part of. I know when I was with Vrabel in Houston I was second team All-Pro and three Pro Bowls with him. I was saying in my head, ‘I think I can do that with him in that system.'”

The Titans likely have the same thoughts, which is why they remained in pursuit of Clowney throughout the offseason. Now that they’ve landed him, we’ll see if the second go-round with Vrabel is as fruitful as the first one.

20 responses to “Jadeveon Clowney looking forward to making plays for Mike Vrabel

1. “that relationship helped him decide to sign with the Titans last weekend.” – I don’t think there were a whole lot of teams that were willing to kick the tires on him quite frankly. I think his options were very limited at best.

2. If he makes those “plays”, those will be the first plays that meant anything in Clowney’s overrated NFL career.

3. My god the hate in these comments is pathetic. Why root against a guy? What has Clowney done to make you hate him? Try to get paid as much as possible? If that is your reason you’re pathetic.

4. johnnycantread says:
    September 10, 2020 at 2:06 pm
    Tenn. has to hope that he isn’t Haynesworth 2.0

———–

If he gives us what Haynesworth gave us we’re in damn good shape. Haynesworth played great in contract years, which is what this is for Clowney.

5. He’s looking forward to being injured for 2/3rds of the season and collecting a paycheck.

6. savethebs says:
    September 10, 2020 at 3:08 pm

————————-

Sadly a lot of casual fans would have you believe that if you don’t average 20 sacks a season you can’t possibly be an asset and clearly aren’t an impactful player.

Clowney had NO help last year and was a disruptive force more times than not for people who actually watched the games and didn’t browse the stat line for sacks.

7. Clowney said that relationship helped him decide to sign with the Titans last weekend.

Not coincidentally the Titans offered the most. I don’t think it had anything to do with the relationship. It had everything to do with green.

8. onlywinnersgetwings says:
    September 10, 2020 at 3:31 pm
    savethebs says:
    September 10, 2020 at 3:08 pm

————————-

——————-

I dont even care about all that. I hope he plays well and stays healthy of course but I am not going to make excuses for him. What gets me is the absolute hate for the guy. Because he got injured? Because he dared to try to get paid as much as possible? I mean really? It’s just such a pathetic attitude to have toward a guy you don’t even know. He seems to be a good dude, teammates love him. Never been arrested or in any kind of trouble. But you know he has dreads and tried to get paid so he must be worthy of your hate. It’s just so transparent what is really going on there.

9. All of these wonderful words of praise for Vrabel by Clowney would have been made for Sean Payton if the Saints had had the cap space.

Just sayin’.

10. Vrabel was DC in Houston for just a year and as I recall his defense that year was just middle of the pack so I was surprised he got a HC interview and more surprised he got hired. That being said he has impressed as a HC and have to wonder if the Texans should have booted O’Brien and kept him…

11. onlywinnersgetwings says:
    September 10, 2020 at 3:31 pm
    savethebs says:
    September 10, 2020 at 3:08 pm

————————-

———————————————
    No help? Clowney had 9 other people on Seattle’s defense with more tackles then he had. All Clowney does is line up on the edge and rush the backfield. Run the play the other way and see ya Clowney.

12. Regardless of who he plays for it just never feels like this guy plays his heart out. It’s like “oh yeah i’m getting paid i guess i should kind of do my job”.

His best years are probably behind him, but i do wonder what a focused Clowney who wanted to be the greatest would have looked like with all that talent.

Feels like Randy Moss putting up the career stats of Alshon Jeffery

13. poseidon420247 says:
    September 10, 2020 at 5:48 pm

Feels like Randy Moss putting up the career stats of Alshon Jeffery

______________

Agreed, just like Gruden, Stafford and all you’re other players/coaches on the multiple teams you root for.

14. Christopher Allan says:
    September 10, 2020 at 4:43 pm
    onlywinnersgetwings says:
    September 10, 2020 at 3:31 pm
    savethebs says:
    September 10, 2020 at 3:08 pm

————————-

———————————————

—————————

Correct, no help. He was the sole pass rusher of note, with Jarran Reed serving a suspension and then being invisible upon his return, and the sack leader being Rasheem Green with a paltry 4.

Clowney took on double teams (or worse) on about every play and still managed to pressure the QB plenty and was a gamebreaker vs. the run. Your assessment of ‘all he does’ is not an accurate assessment of how he played last year whatsoever.