Laurent Duvernay-Tardif hopes to return next year for a Chiefs three-peat

Getty Images

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif won’t be on the field tonight when the Chiefs begin their quest to win another Super Bowl. Duvernay-Tardif, a starting guard for the Chiefs last year who also happens to be a medical doctor, is instead using his medical training back home in Quebec, where he’s on the front lines in fighting the COVID-19 pandemic.

But Duvernay-Tardif isn’t done with football. Instead, he says he’s hoping to see the Chiefs repeat as champions this year, and then return the following year to make it three in a row.

“I want the Chiefs to play all 16 games and make the playoffs; I want my team to repeat as Super Bowl champions, so that when I do return, we’re zoned in on a rare NFL three-peat,” Duvernay-Tradif wrote at SI.com.

In addition to treating patients, Duvernay-Tardif is taking online classes at Harvard. He’s a unique person who has bigger things to do with his life than just play football. But that doesn’t mean he’s done playing football.

20 responses to “Laurent Duvernay-Tardif hopes to return next year for a Chiefs three-peat

  1. Great Guy, I know he didn’t quit Football.. But with the Salary Cap being dropped 20% next year, I would think the Chiefs would draft his replacement in the upcoming draft?

  2. Lordy Lordy funny how teams FINALLY win ONE after 60 years and all of a sudden they become the Patriots! Lmao, oooookay Eagles. Saints. And Every and All teams that Finally get ONE. Cracks me up how all of a sudden it gets easier.

  3. Chiefs had to come from behind in each playoff and SB game. Let’s not pretend this was some sort dominant dynasty performance.

  4. Hey, I get it, he’s just hyping. I’m not going to hold that against him. I admire his making health care a priority in the current pandemic, and I hope things improve to the point that he will be able to return to the Chiefs. Though it’s highly unlikely that it will be for a three-peat attempt.

  5. Eagles and Saints didn’t have the offensive group KC has. And KC was in year one with their new defense, under Spagnola, so there’s no reason to think that they won’t be better.

    Not saying dynasty, but KC is far more equipped to repeat, keeping 20 of 22 starters, than NO/Philly were.

  6. I don’t get where the negative comments come from…Can’t blame him for wishing his teammates well and hoping they succeed, what else is he supposed to say? The world needs more selfless people like this dude. Opted out not for his own personal safety, but to help others…while jeopardizing his personal safety…good football player, even better person…

  7. Well, even though the Chiefs have great odds and they are the favorite that still only equates to a 14.3% chance to win the Super Bowl. So there is an 85.7% chance they don’t per Vegas. Winning this year and next year (if they were lucking enough to have the same odds) the would be only a 2% chance to win both. So 98% chance they don’t get it done. He’s just saying something supportive of his team, which is fine, but it would be a pretty safe bet to bet against it happening.

  8. imeantheoppositeofwhatitype says:
    September 10, 2020 at 11:34 am
    Eagles and Saints didn’t have the offensive group KC has. And KC was in year one with their new defense, under Spagnola, so there’s no reason to think that they won’t be better.

    Not saying dynasty, but KC is far more equipped to repeat, keeping 20 of 22 starters, than NO/Philly were.

    23 3

    —————

    They are currently over the cap and we’ve
    seen no reports from the media asking how
    they got under the cap after being over the cap in the spring, and then signing Jones and Mahomes.

    It just doesn’t make sense and I would not put it past Goodell to help them like he had Boget help them in the game last year on the mysterious calls in the 4th qtr.

  9. tb12bestqbevah says:
    September 10, 2020 at 11:14 am
    Chiefs had to come from behind in each playoff and SB game. Let’s not pretend this was some sort dominant dynasty performance.

    23 20 Rate This

    ———-

    Yep. Mahomes was terrible and their flimsy D was gashed for 6 ypc.

    They also got away with a horrible call on the PI on Kittle before half where Sorenson reached in first to arm grab him after being torched off the line.

    They need all the help they can get, apparently.

  10. Obviously there are some things more important in this world than football. Being on the front lines treating patients during Covid19 is one of them. My hat’s off to the young man for getting his priorities straight. Remember, a few months ago, no one, including the NFL, knew if there would even be a season.

  11. if Jimmy hits sanders its a totally different story And we wouldn’t have to hear people clamoring over something that Stafford already did as far as arm talent

  12. What’s wrong with him? Haven’t several Chief players predicted 6-7 Lombardis in a row? Chiefs are good for one every 50 years or so. Enjoy last years.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.