Cam Newton: Excitement level is on 1,000 for Sunday

Getty Images

Sunday is going to be a big day for quarterback Cam Newton.

He’s making his Patriots debut and he’s returning from a long absence caused by a 2019 foot injury that cropped up after Newton spent an offseason recovering from shoulder surgery. Newton was asked on Thursday if he still gets butterflies before a game and joked that “I don’t get butterflies, I give ’em” while also making it clear that this week’s game means a lot to him.

“Excitement level is on 1,000,” Newton said, via MassLive.com. “I’m excited, happy. Just to get back into the rhythm of game week — the preparation, the little nuggets that you can often forget. You have to remember, I’ve been away from football, really, for a full year. Sixteen games. I missed the last games of 2018 and only played two games in 2019, so that’s equivalent to 16 games. I haven’t really had this whole process for a long time now, so being around, taking notes, watching film, finding out about different players each and every day, locking in — excited about the game plan and more excited about just trying to get in a routine with the newness of the play-calling, the coaches and even the players.”

Newton called himself “a piece to the puzzle” later in his media session, but he’s going to be a closely watched piece as the Patriots launch the post-Tom Brady era at 1 p.m. ET on Sunday.

26 responses to “Cam Newton: Excitement level is on 1,000 for Sunday

1. I am looking forward to see how BB crafts, and coaches this team in this weird year. He is the best IMO in prepping for anything. I see a good season, even if it is a step back for NE. The team has lost a lot to opt outs and FA but if anyone can make a good team from
    non-descript unknown players it is BB.

2. Patriots are always intriguing. I’m not thrilled with his receiving corps, and the o-line is a question mark, but I expect the defense to be stout, and a solid ground game.

3. bostonsteve12 says:
    September 11, 2020 at 10:18 am
    non-descript unknown players it is BB.

3 1 Rate This

——————-

Funny how Hightower aka Mr February doesn’t ever go to “Pro Bowls”
    and now he’s a huge loss since he is not there.

NE is actually loaded in most spots on the field. The media and even some fans are absolutely clueless when it comes to understanding what BB is doing. They need to see domination before admitting what BB envisions is good and a successful approach.

Some think that these recent drafts have been very good, which, they have.

Some like the reports on the young guys, like what they have seen out of the players lime Winowich or even the crafty router runner, Jakobi Meyers.

The anti-BB media even brainwashed some Pats fans. Pretty embarrassing for those fans after 9 SB apperances from BB the architecht, in a 20 year span.

4. Once he starts doing the stupid stuff he is famous for, he’ll be put on IR. The Patriots have zero tolerance for underwhelming effort. He won’t change. Unless there are teams with losing records, he is woeful in beating better teams.

But will he fall on a fumble?

5. This will be my first missed opening day game since 1993…. damn you Covid 🙁 . On to #7 this season… I can feel it!!!

6. There is no way this team is better than the team the Dolphins beat in Dec. last year with Brady, Van Noy, Collins, Hightower, Cannon, Chung and Karras gone. The Dophins are going to dominate this game

7. Belichick loves to play chess while everyone else is playing checkers. Unfortunately, he has been given a checkers piece in Cam Newton.

8. cletuspstillwaterjr says:
    September 11, 2020 at 11:29 am
    ——————————————
    Brady didn’t feel like playing in that game. He was still sulking about having young receivers.
    The Pats would have won with a functional QB in the game.
    A Cam-led offense will be way too much for the Dolphins to handle, and I’m looking forward to seeing what our still-solid defense can do with a couple of stud rookies thrown in.

Go Pats!!

9. I drafted Cam for my fantasy team. Everything is positive, and he has the potential to put up good numbers. I also expected the defense won’t be as good. The offense will be called on to win games.

Tom Brady was 12 in fantasy for 2019, and rushed for 3TD. At the very least Cam will rush foe 2x that.

10. It’s still early & lots can still happen….. but if CAM is truly healthy & can stay that way as the year goes by, he should really excel in the Pats offense…..I just don’t want to see SULKING CAM…..Saw enough of that from Brady last year to last a lifetime….
    I’m pulling for Cam, but I’m REALLY pulling for Jarrett Stidham behind the scenes….. If Cam has a great year, I could see the Pats slapping the franchise tag on him next year & allow Stidham to continue in his development behind the scenes & then evaluate on either letting Cam walk for a 3rd rounder & handing things over to Jarrett OR not liking his development & offering Cam a 5-6 year deal….. I do believe in Stidham & think he can be the future franchise QB for the Pats, & with no major play on his behalf the next 2 years, the Pats could sine him long term at a VERY TEAM FRIENDLY CONTRACT allowing them to have lots of money to invest in other players to keep him surrounded by really good talent……BUT, that storyline has yet to play out so now it’s Cams time to be in the spotlight!!!
    Go Pats!!!!

11. I followed Cam for 9 years and yes he can be exciting and dynamic. With that being said, all it takes are a few things not to go his way and turns into the polar opposite. Personally, I’m pulling for him, despite being a Panthers fan, only because the team did him wrong. Time will tell.

12. stabkof2512 says:
    September 11, 2020 at 1:59 pm
    I hope he throws four interceptions and gets sacked six times.
    —————————————
    Don’t worry Fitzpatrick will….

13. 4hourelection says:
    September 11, 2020 at 11:57 am
    cletuspstillwaterjr says:
    September 11, 2020 at 11:29 am
    ——————————————
    The Pats would have won with a functional QB in the game.

Go Pats!!

47 47 Rate This

—————-

Exactly.

Heck, 2008 Matt Cassel would have easily beaten Miami last year.

Brady was putrid and checked out once Brown was cut. His own teammates are now saying they wanted him gone for sure after that disgusting display last year.

14. cebert44 says:
    September 11, 2020 at 6:21 pm
    Comment was brady didn’t want to play in the Miami game

he put them ahead with 3 minutes to go

5 2 Rate This

——————

He threw the worst interception of his career before halftime. It was the most bizarre thing I have ever seen from him on a football field save for some horrendous decisions in postseasons from 2007-2012.

Why should a defense have to win the game every week in an offensive era?

The entire game counts, not just what happens at the end.

He was a 3 and out machine all year.

15. Belichick is going to play keep away by running and running with opportunistic throws sprinkled in. He’s going to run option. Going to run power. He will run Cam into the ground for the first few games. He has to hide the holes he has on D.