Dalvin Cook breathes “sigh of relief” with extension done

Getty Images

Vikings running back Dalvin Cook said on Wednesday that he was focused on facing the Packers in Week One and would let “the business take care of business” in regard to negotiations of a contract extension.

Business took care of business on Saturday when Cook agreed to terms on a five-year, $63 million extension on Saturday. The outlook for getting something done this offseason didn’t look great last month, but Cook said on Saturday that “everybody had to just get to a certain point” in order to cross the finish line.

“Definitely excited,” Cook said, via Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press. “Definitely a sigh of relief as far as being excited for being in Minnesota for years. That’s truly a blessing because I love being in this place, I love being in the locker room with the guys around. That was most important to me to being around the guys that love the most.”

Cook said he wants to remain with the Vikings for the rest of his career and Saturday’s agreement greatly increases the chances of that happening.

29 responses to “Dalvin Cook breathes “sigh of relief” with extension done

1. I was amused to learn the Vikings orchestrated upon themselves another eggs-in-one-basket contract with an overrated running back that always comes up small in big games. They did it………..again.

2. I was amused to learn the Vikings orchestrated upon themselves another eggs-in-one-basket contract with an overrated running back that always comes up small in big games. They did it………..again.

What do you suppose Jones contract will look like after this year? I mean hes gonna want considerably more than an overrated player, right?

3. I don’t get it. We get a steal in the draft with Cook. He is obviously the most explosive player we have. This extension gives us our QB, RB, TE, WR and top OL 3 more seasons to play together and we have fans who complain.

4. If you are one of the best players at your position and a play maker/game changer you are going to get paid

5. Cook has been a class act and the Vikings like to reward those kind of players. If he plays to his full potential without getting injured he’d cost way more next year. It’s a gamble that hopefully works out the best.

6. In 1 year that will be a steal of a deal if it is not already. These other dudes are going to be at $18 million per year by 2021. $20 mill 2022.

7. govs127 says:
    September 12, 2020 at 4:37 pm

________

I know, right?
    And with all that firepower locked and loaded, I’d expect this team to do a shade bit better than 2-4 in their own division. 🤣

8. Doing the math here…5 years…he plays roughly 8 games per year… that’s about 1.5 million per game.

No running back is worth that.

9. tokyosandblaster says:
    September 12, 2020 at 6:33 pm
    Doing the math here
    ———
    So just guessing you learned you math skills in Wisco too. But 29 / 3 equal 9.67. Good try with the 5 hand guess though Cleatus.

10. stellarperformance says:
    September 12, 2020 at 4:14 pm
    —————-
    Kinda like we did with old aging Aaron. He ain’t getting younger just getting worse. Led the league in worm burner throws last year though. Then disappeared ina big game agin as he has for a decade plus.

11. stellarperformance says:
    September 12, 2020 at 4:14 pm
    ___
    ANOTHER eggs in ONE basket?

Dopey is as dopey does.

12. obesepackdude says:
    September 12, 2020 at 6:50 pm
    tokyosandblaster says:
    September 12, 2020 at 6:33 pm
    Doing the math here
    ———
    ______________________
    5 yr $63 million contract
    63 divided by 5 = 12.6, so $12.6 million a season
    if he were to only play 8 games a season (as the original poster mentioned) then… 12.6 divided by 8= 1.575, so $1.575 million a game

I’m not saying Cook will only play 8 games, or is not worth his contract. I am saying that your math reasoning is below the 8th grade level.

13. cheeseisfattening says:
    September 12, 2020 at 4:18 pm
    Good dude
    Great player

——————————————————————————————–

He must stay healthy, though. If not, then it was a bad deal for the Vikings.

14. Christopher Allan says:
    September 12, 2020 at 7:46 pm
    obesepackdude says:
    September 12, 2020 at 6:50 pm
    tokyosandblaster says:
    September 12, 2020 at 6:33 pm
    Doing the math here
    ———
    ______________________
    5 yr $63 million contract
    63 divided by 5 = 12.6, so $12.6 million a season

——-
    Of course it is I live in Green Bay. Hell your family can’t even spell your last name right.

15. Good player, good person, and the injury history drove down the contract price. If cheesers think this is a contract where you simply divide $63M by 5 years, they must be using northern WI logic. You base the real contract dollars on guaranteed money and voidable years. Wait till the final numbers come out till you get your curds in a bundle. This contract is less than market and gives the Vikes flexibility, but of course it’s no fun to be objective.

16. If I had just signed a $63 million dollar deal I don’t know if I would be breathing easier or hyperventilating!

17. Top 5 back got top 5 money as he should. Skol, I was also pleased to see Kendricks step up and rework his contract to get it done, great teammate.

18. Norseman says:
    September 12, 2020 at 11:11 pm
    Cook 200 all purpose yards vs. Packers. Book it.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

He had 48 all purpose yards. What did you book? Not the house I hope.