The President calls football “boring as hell”

Getty Images

The Commander-in-Chief hasn’t commandeered his Twitter account, lately, to take shots at the NFL. Last night, he did it the old-fashioned way: By talking.

Football’s boring as hell,” President Donald J. Trump said Sunday night at his first indoor rally since Tulsa, via USA Today. “It’s just not the same, right?”

He added that people once asked that events not be scheduled during football games. He claims that now “they say, ‘can you possibly do it during a football game?'” (Sure they do.)

Although football has become weaponized for political reasons tracing to players who choose to use the platform to speak out against injustice, there’s nothing boring about football. Anyone who watched Sunday’s games know that football definitely isn’t boring.

Now, if you choose not to watch football because you believe it’s too “woke” or whatever the trendy term is to reflect derision for people who value fairness and equality for all, that’s one thing. But don’t claim you’re not watching because it suddenly has become boring, because that is the farthest thing from the truth, even in post-truth America.

94 responses to “The President calls football “boring as hell”

1. Well considering over the course of a full 60 minute game only 11 minutes of actual game time is played. 11 minutes of action. THATS IT. Trump is kind of onto something. 11 minutes a week. 176 minutes a year.

2. It kind of is now. Too many penalties and commercials, and now no fans, oh and some bad bad commentating.

3. “Well considering over the course of a full 60 minute game only 11 minutes of actual game time is played. 11 minutes of action. THATS IT. Trump is kind of onto something. 11 minutes a week. 176 minutes a year.”

You have already thought more about that response then he did.

4. Perhaps diluted would be a better term,due to not being purely about football. It did seem the broadcasts tried to be apolitical to their credit.

5. I didn’t watch any games. Went golfing with my son instead. I did catch some highlights. Weird not seeing or hearing fans at the games that didn’t allow fans. Probably made it a lot less exciting to watch. I think I will go golfing again next weekend. Just oicked up a new set of irons and they are sweet!

6. For having essentially no offseason, I was surprised by the quality of games yesterday. Seemed like a typical week 1 to me.

And when the piped in fan audio is done right, you can barely tell the difference.

Maybe it’s just me, but I was glad to see pro football back.

7. 50Stars says:
    September 14, 2020 at 9:30 am
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Maybe you would prefer soccer, hockey, or even basketball. No doubt you have to enjoy the mental part of football to not be bored between plays, but it’s not designed as a constant action sport like the others I listed.

8. I was pleasantly surprised with the high quality football we saw in our first weekend this year.

Not you jets and browns.

9. “50Stars says:
    September 14, 2020 at 9:30 am
    Well considering over the course of a full 60 minute game only 11 minutes of actual game time is played. 11 minutes of action. THATS IT. Trump is kind of onto something. 11 minutes a week. 176 minutes a year.“

Except that IT IS as it’s always been… but if you find that boring, maybe Football isn’t for you…

10. Comparing it to watching college games Sat. WITH fans in the stands….college wins out and it’s not even close. I could not imagine playing in those huge empty stadiums with zero fans. I guess masks and 6 ft from strangers is not the way to prevent the spread? Up to the point of no fans, the NFL had nailed this whole election year virus. I won’t last the season without the NFL putting fans back in every stadium. It was weird.

11. Trump is close. This NFL is not nearly as fun as the NFL I grew up watching in the 60’s, 70’s and even 80’s.
    There are many reasons for that, many of them because of the rules. For example, in the game between the Packers and the Vikings, the teams scored a combined 77 points, and yet only 1 kickoff was returned in the whole game. The rest just bounced in the end zone. That’s boring, I don’t care what anyone says.

12. If Covid accomplished anything.. it proved that the NFL doesn’t need to have a pre season. Thank god. Hopefully we don’t have to sit through a month of meaningless games ever again.

13. If you’re addicted to football you will watch anything. You’re a junkie. For most, it’s a three-hour ordeal listening to vapid announcing and endless commercials. You can easily watch a game in under three hours if you record it and can work the fast-forward button.Who cares if it’s live?

There is only one reason to get really about football: BETTING. Then the games become exciting and you also begin to see how really inept the announcers are and how unimaginative most coaches are. It’s a copycat league which also makes it a bit dull. For Fantasy Football players: talk about boring, why do you do it? Bet the games. It’s more fun.

Bet. Bet. Bet. The NFL is catching on. Soon, they will have all your money.

14. The constant commercials, talking heads and incessant crowd,cheerleader,coach shots are all boring.
    Just the tip of the iceberg.

15. I find not having fans in the stands, fake crowd noise, watered down the NFL. Glad to see it back, but I would much rather be at a game, with the rest of the crowd. All in good time I suppose.

16. I thought the artificial crowd noise was lame, the lack of fans was surreal but I would still opt for pro football over the alternative of no pro football.

17. Well, he’s not exactly wrong. The product on the field is pretty lame now. I spend more time looking at my fantasy scores these days than actually watching the game.

18. The most boring thing about yesterdays games were the announcers. The same old stick.
    Announcers staying way past their prime, boring comments, inaccurate comments, or just trying to be overly funny thinking their John Madden. Pre and Post game shows as well.
    Could someone step up and change things up. Please bring some excitement to the game when there are no fans in the stands.

19. The fake crowd noise was really bad is my only complaint. A Bills receiver would make a big catch for a first down, and there’d be like a two second delay before the “crowd” volume gets turned up a little. It was beyond weird. I wish the NFL would just scrap that whole concept

20. Every since the NFL has went to a pass happy league is not the same and in all honesty it is just not as good as it use to be. I like the old smash’em out football.

21. Setting aside the fact that he should have more important things to worry about, wasn’t this guy begging the NFL to come back a few months ago?

22. If you’re actually a fan of the game, its never going to be boring (no actual NFL fan would say that). The incessant commercial stops are ANNOYING, but we’ve been saying that for many years now.

23. First I watched the Ravens stomp the Browns then watched old man Brady look the part. I was not bored. I’ll take this football. I’m glad it is back.

24. Was pleasantly surprised by the product yesterday. Good football all around. Not having fans was weird for sure though. You don’t realize how much the fans clue you in to what’s happening on the field until they are gone.

25. mikeyb says:
    September 14, 2020 at 10:15 am
    ——-

Ok, so 77 pts were scored, but you’re complaining and saying its boring because there was only 1 kickoff that was returned. Lol

26. Got to agree with Trump. I was bored out of my mind all day – from the morning pregame shows right up to the last play of the Dallas/Rams game, and then until about 1AM when I finally went to bed after watching all the highlight shows. I’ll probably give it one more chance.

27. sponz says:
    September 14, 2020 at 9:52 am
    The TV ratings would suggest otherwise, but…
    _______
    The ratings haven’t came out yet. Maybe Tuesday or Wednesday.
    Nice try though.

28. Sour grapes from a guy whose always wanted to own an NFL team. He was denied the chance to buy the Bills and will never forgive the NFL.

29. Honestly, the no fans thing was barely noticeable. My viewing enjoyment was not affected one bit. The anthem stuff took a little too long at the beginning, but that was not surprising at all. Next week, I’ll probably tune at 1:05pm

30. Watched ALL DAY! Different without the crowds, but it didn’t effect the play. Tv has always made the NFL the most money and will always continue to do so. Add that fantasy football has been a cash cow for the league and always will be. The sport is made for fantasy play unlike any other. I was surprised that the lack of a preseason did not effect as many teams as I thought it would. Seemed like there were more injuries however, but wouldn’t know the actual stats on that.

31. ill42 says:
    September 14, 2020 at 11:59 am
    ——————-
    Surprised me also … was a bit weird in the beginning, but after the game got underway I was barely aware of no fans. The network did a pretty good job of piping in the crowd.

32. Definitely a lack of energy and excitement by not having fans, but it was still pretty fun. They need to move to 20% attendance.

33. i havent watched a game in 2 years, i watch redzone, no commercials, no filler, its fantastic

34. Football hasn’t become boring! they say.

Then they turn on Redzone, so they don’t have to watch all the boring parts

35. Did not even give it a second thought – No fans that is. I don’t watch to see what fans are doing. I watch what the players are doing – so POTUS needs to take up playing Madden or something.

36. The games I watched yesterday were great. We even got the ending of the Detroit/Chicago game, just in time to see the new RB drop the game winning pass. The announcers got against my nerves, but that’s no more surprising than the Lions finding new ways to lose.

37. I’m sure The Donald has now ruined football for some of his adoring fans as they follow cult like his every word.

38. I’m glad to see the players show unity. I just wish they would have gone a step further–not to play in Week 1.

39. “A Bills receiver would make a big catch for a first down, and there’d be like a two second delay before the “crowd” volume gets turned up a little. It was beyond weird”

I watched the Pats-Fins, Bucs-Saints and some of the night game and all 3 it seemed like the crowd noise was pretty well run.

40. I am a Phins fan and the Pats Phins game was boring. No fans kills the atmosphere as well. I am also little turned off with the BLM propaganda.

41. Boring is not a FACT. Its an opinion.

People have rights to them. Even if they don’t agree with big brother

42. I skipped all of the pregame stuff, tuned away from the commercials, ended up being a tolerable Sunday of football.

43. It’s only boring to someone who doesn’t love and understand the game.Its only boring to someone who’s looking to play to to their political base and could care less about the game itself

44. 50Stars says:
    September 14, 2020 at 9:30 am

———-

That’s been the case since 1920, so not sure why that would start bothering people now.

45. captainloaded says:
    September 14, 2020 at 1:54 pm
    It is definitely not the game it used to be.

——-

That’s true. They have the forward pass now.

46. skunkgoosefly says:
    September 14, 2020 at 9:37 am

—————

I don’t think it’s changed that much. And at least the number 1 commentating teams for the 3 networks are really good. Can’t say the same for ESPN, but Nance/Romo, Michaels/Collinsworth and Buck/Aikman are all very good.

47. If Covid accomplished anything.. it proved that the NFL doesn’t need to have a pre season. Thank god. Hopefully we don’t have to sit through a month of meaningless games ever again.

—————————————————————————————

True. Preseason may not be necessary for the veterans. But there are a lot of young guys drafted in the mid to late rounds that may make an NFL roster with some preseason experience. I say cut it down to 2 games. They don’t need more than that.

48. Really weird with no fans in the stadium. But then no Cowboys showed up either. Dak will never get his $40M until he can come from behind to win the close ones. 1–7 in one score games sucks big time.

49. With all political stuff being put into the NFL and other sports it has lost it luster to me. Don’t care if they play or not.

50. Boring? Kidding right. Its a time people, buds, girlfriends. wives, daughters, sons, grandkids get together for three hours and enjoy themselves. We pick sides. have fun with it winners and losers. Break bread together and never even talk politics.

51. The ”fake crowd noise” has gotta go.
    Looking squarely at you, Fox.
    Keeping an eye on the rest of you.

52. I went to my first game in Washington in 46, I like the candy and other treats at the time. My take is if you didn’t enjoy the game ‘then do something else because its not going to change. Bill

53. FoOtBaLL iS BoRiNg, I dOn’T wAtCh iT! TrUmP iS RiGhT!!

– people commenting on Pro Football Talk Website

54. johnnycantread says:
    September 14, 2020 at 10:11 am
    Football is boring as hell?
    So is politics.

Can’t agree more! Politics has two teams and they both stink!

55. Bryan Pratt says:
    September 15, 2020 at 2:59 pm
    He’s right, the NFL sucks really really really badly and has been on the decline for years now…
    ============================

Yeah, just look at the ratings.

Blahhaha

56. It depends on perspective……if you are comparing todays game and todays spoiled brats with what made the NFL great in the 70s and 80s he is 100% correct…..that being said its still the best sport on TV so if you crave sports the alternatives are a pretty low bar to clear.

57. sponz says:
    September 14, 2020 at 9:52 am

The TV ratings would suggest otherwise, but…

*********************************************

No. Just no. Overall, across all networks, viewership was down about 4%. FOX was the only network to see better numbers than last year, and that is mainly because of the Brady v. Brees game. CBS saw a 12% drop in viewership for its broadcasts and NBC saw a 15% drop.

58. Am I the only one who zips through all the fluff and watches games only on my DVR? 3 1/2 hour game in 45 min.