Marcedes Lewis gets a chance to settle score with the Jaguars

Getty Images

Tight end Marcedes Lewis spent a dozen years with the Jaguars. That wasn’t long enough to get the team to ultimately treat him like something other than an interchangeable part.

I saw that I was being released on ESPN,” Lewis said Friday, via the Associated Press. “At the same time I’m looking at ESPN, my agent is calling me. I didn’t want to hear from him first. I’d rather them hit me up and at least give me an option of whether to take a pay cut or whatever, at least have a conversation. We never got to that point.”

It’s now gotten to the point where Lewis has become an important leader in the Green Bay locker room, and part of one of the best teams in football. On Sunday, his former team comes to town as a double-digit underdog.

“I understand the business side of it,” Lewis said. “But at the same time, for somebody that was there for 12 years and always held the organization in high regard and never put myself in bad situations to make the organization look bad, I just felt like to a man it would have been cool to just do it the right way. I felt like we could have handled it different, but we’ve definitely moved on, no hard feelings.”

Lewis also said it took him a year to get over it. When he sees his old team flood into Lambeau Field on Sunday, some of those feelings could quickly come back, fueling Lewis to do everything he can and then some to help the Packers get what should be an easy win.

To likely the delight/relief of whoever bet $99,000 on Green Bay to win, at -1100 odds and a payout of $9,000.

10 responses to “Marcedes Lewis gets a chance to settle score with the Jaguars

  1. Lewis has no right to get angry with the Jags, they paid him handsomly, and kept him around forever. Not bad for an average TE who never lived up to his draft position.

  2. “never put myself in bad situations to make the organization look bad”
    ——————

    Seriously, most normal people in society just do the right thing because, you know, it’s the right thing to do. Strange he has to qualify his “good” behaviour as something he did for the organization instead for himself…

  3. Please stop. He was drafted in the first round but only had two season of 50+ catches. His best year was 2010 with 58 catches for 700 yards and ten TDs. He had another season with 40+ (41 in 2008) and two seasons with 30+ (37 in 2007 and 39 in 2011). It’s not like he set the world on fire. In his three years with GB he has 22 catches. He can talk smack all he wants but I doubt Jax cares. I’m sure he’ll be motivated but I bet the defense will be motivated to drill him every time he catches the ball too. He can hate the Jags all he wants but he made a lot of $$$ from them for not very much production.

  4. Unless Lewis has a big game, he will look like a fool. It is part of the player’s act in the NFL. Make the fans feel like there is a score to settle or a rivalry. The players don’t really care. They play for themselves and the money first. The playoffs are more about exposure to make more money on contracts than it is about the games. 90% of the players only care about the cash. The other 10% are already making top dollar. Football quit being a game about the sport when the first 10 million dollar per year contract was signed. After that is wall about player’s making more than the highest paid guy at their position.

  5. When he came to Green Bay, Lewis was billed as a blocking tight end with limited pass catching abilities. That has proven not be the case. He has excelled as a receiving And blocking tight end. Jax was underutilizing the guy. He is a good fit in Green Bay.

  6. I thought Lewis was going to be ok when he critized Rodgers lack of leadership but it looks limke his time in Green Bay has turned him into a whiney dope.

  7. whinydopesays:
    November 14, 2020 at 4:11 pm
    I thought Lewis was going to be ok when he critized Rodgers lack of leadership but it looks limke his time in Green Bay has turned him into a whiney dope.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

    That’s odd because whiny dopes are the only people I’ve heard complain about Rodgers.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.