Getty Images

Antonio Brown‘s latest problem may arise from the failure to disclose his latest problem to the NFL.

The NFL didn’t previously know about Brown’s October 15 incident, according to the NFL’s in-house media conglomerate. If that’s true, and surely it is since it’s coming from the NFL directly, the NFL has separate grounds for disciplining Brown.

Even though Brown was not arrested or charged, the NFL’s Personal Conduct Policy imposes a broad, mandatory reporting obligation on any player involved in any incident that could be a violation of the Personal Conduct Policy.

“Failure to report an incident will be grounds for disciplinary action,” the league’s Personal Conduct Policy explains. “This obligation to report is broader than simply reporting an arrest; it requires reporting to the league any incident that comes to the club’s or player’s attention which, if the allegations were true, would constitute a violation of the Policy.”

In other words, the fact that Brown was involved in an incident that created sufficient probable cause to arrest him for misdemeanor criminal mischief imposed on Brown an obligation to let the league know about it, even if charges ultimately weren’t pressed. It’s also safe to assume that, given Brown’s extended history of off-field issues, someone from the NFL made sure at some point to make sure Brown knew to immediately contact the league office in the event that Brown had any other incidents, whether or not he was arrested.

Even without that extra layer of admonition, Brown had a duty to let the league know about the October 15 incident. He apparently did not. That could be enough to result in the league taking swift and immediate action against Brown, if the league is inclined to do so.

Ultimately, that’s what it comes down to. The league has crafted the ability to do whatever it wants, whenever it wants, however it wants regarding any and all incidents of player misconduct. And so, with Brown, the league will in this case do whatever it wants, whenever it wants, however it wants.

58 responses to “Antonio Brown may have violated Personal Conduct Policy by not reporting October 15 incident

1. AB is a ticking time bomb and needs to be under a doctors care, before he hurts someone and goes to jail.

2. “Wait, what? That was an incident I should report? That was no incident, I was practicing my touchdown routine in case there is a bicycle around the end zone. I can also throw chairs, saw horses, tripods, a variety of objects.”

3. You would think he would make sure he was keeping all of his i’s dotted and t’s crossed, just because Brady went out on a limb for him. This is more bad judgement from a guy with a history of very poor judgement. I actually feel bad for Brady. He stuck out his nose for this guy and AB didn’t respect the commitment that was made for him. I’m thinking there will be an AB episode of VH1 Behind the Music.

4. Look at all these commenters. Would bet my house none of you are Bucs fans. I know – I wouldn’t want a team with all that talent to put it altogether come playoff time either. You know in your heart you’d have no chance if/when that happens.

5. Stu Bidaciou says:
    November 17, 2020 at 6:54 pm

Bruce Arians should have held his ground.

____________________________________________

If only he had fumbled, Arians would have banished him in a 2nd a la Rojo

6. AB needs help and should be banned from the NFL for life. He can get a head start on getting the help he needs.

7. cma1973 says:
    November 17, 2020 at 7:10 pm
    Its a nothing incident that resulted in no charges. Move along.

——————

Brown is on probation. He has an extra layer of responsibility here. You’re required to notify your probation officer of any and all interactions with law enforcement. If YOU called the cops on someone else, failure to let your parole officer know you did so is a breach of probation. That’s how thin the ice is that Brown is skating on

8. NFL’s Personal Conduct Policy, the need for this only shows how enabled these people are during their high school and college years. Zero accountability for any actions if you’re deemed a special athlete.
    Can you imagine having the gift of an NFL athlete or any sports pro, the possibility of making 100’s of millions and living a life only a very small percentage will ever live and it’s all cancelled because you can’t act right in public. Even after more than enough chances.
    I can’t, because I act right, but it could be a reality for Antonio Brown.
    If he isn’t MVP of the Super Bowl this year, I bet that’s all she wrote for this clown.
    I can’t see anyone putting up with his bs anymore if he flops on the field this year.

9. Brown : “Why would I need to report throwing a bicycle at a guard shack? That’s normal behavior for me.”

10. “may”????

It did.

Don’t let Goodell cheat now. Brown did far less outsids of mental instability on social media with NE last year for just one week.

Since then, he has attacked a moving truck operator and vandalized the area where he lives, and god knows what else.

11. First Post:
    I am FAR from a bleeding heart, but isn’t it obvious that this guy is emotionally disturbed, and needs intense therapy? I know as fans we tend only to care about X’s and O’s, but to me, this guy is in dire need of psychological care, and NFL should have made it mandatory that he be cleared psychologically prior to be him being activated.Then again, TB’s team shrink is on the payroll…maybe I just answered my own question…

12. Flip Rhombus says:
    November 17, 2020 at 7:12 pm

4 4 Rate This

——————

Brady did this to himself. He brought it all on himself due to
    ego overload and really beileving it was all him.

Guess what each has in common? ego

m

13. I think Goodell will impose a suspension somewhere between 2 and 4 games. But the real problem for AB is that Arians may as well jump on the occasion to waive him.

14. I don’t believe Antonio Brown is “disturbed”, has mental health issues, or anything like that at all.

He’s simply an entitled, spoiled brat who’s been pandered to and coddled for far too long, and who simply can’t understand the concept that the universe doesn’t revolve around him.

15. cma1973 says:
    Its a nothing incident that resulted in no charges. Move along.
    ==

Thanks for your input, Tom.

16. Supposing he does get suspended from the league, again, can you imagine the discussion between him and Brady, when Brady has to kick out of the house?… for the second time.

17. It’s entirely possible that he was simply acting out as a non-verbal expression against systemic racism, which we all need to acknowledge is a very real problem in this country.

Either that, or he’s just an entitled a-hole totally unconcerned with consequences because of his particular circumstances. Whatever entitlements to which those particular circumstances lend themselves. Opportunism?

18. “misdemeanor criminal mischief”
    ——————-

Just STOP. This comes nowhere close to violating the Personal Conduct Policy. MISDEMEANOR – any lawyer should know what that means. Otherwise, should every player also report jaywalking too as it’s also a misdemeanor?

19. myusernameissteve says:
    November 17, 2020 at 8:05 pm
    Brady. All Brady and this is coming from a 30 year Foxboro resident.

4 1 Rate This

————-

Grew up in MA, season tix in family since ‘78.

Thank you, Steve. A real Pats fan who knows, not a Brady Fanboy.

20. Remember when the Steelers were “fleeced” by the raiders for this guy? FYI one of those picks turned out to be Diontae Johnson.

21. floridaman07 says:
    November 17, 2020 at 7:14 pm
    ——————————————————————————————-
    No chance? Tell me again how the Bucs would have to beat the Saints come playoff time. Have they not played twice already this season with the Bucs losing both times? How did it feel to be down 31-0 at halftime? Enjoy AB. I’m sure he’ll be in the news a lot more with the lawsuit next month.

22. When is the league going to step up and see through this guys excuses and get him out of football. He is a big tarnish on the NFL symbol

23. To me, this might be a turning point for his confidence. If he’s on the field in week 11, no way he’s gonna be focused. This time, he did put a lot of pressure on himself, and it might finally show in his performance, which is the only card he’s ever had. Because of the involvement of Brady, and somehow the pass Arians gave him, he can’t hide to himself that he screwed big time.

24. This is no longer NFL football. It’s more like the movie;

‘ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO’S NEST’ with Antonio Brown playing Jack Nicholson’s role!

25. hellooooooooooobrooklyn says:
    November 17, 2020 at 7:21 pm
    cma1973 says:
    November 17, 2020 at 7:10 pm
    Its a nothing incident that resulted in no charges. Move along.

——————

__________________________________________

Do you know for a fact he didn’t? I don’t and I don’t know any reporting that says otherwise. And the NFL isn’t his probation officer. I don’t care how thin the ice is as long as it holds. I guess there is a point here about the probation rant but unless they haul him away in handcuffs its safe to assume he did what he was supposed to do. So again, move along.

26. Can’t believe I’m saying this but, Florio was right. When Brown came in he said the exact things when he was going to the Raiders and Patriots. Nothing has changed. He is still A.ME.

27. hellooooooooooobrooklyn says:
    November 17, 2020 at 7:21 pm
    cma1973 says:
    November 17, 2020 at 7:10 pm
    Its a nothing incident that resulted in no charges. Move along.

——————

__________________________________________

—————

“Move along?” Are your going to tell me to go about my business next? Jedi Mind Tricks won’t work here. The fact that he wasn’t transparent with the league about the incident, per the headline of the entire article, says it’s actually quite UNsafe to assume Brown did what he was supposed to do. In fact it’s a lost cause to make assumptions. The fact is, he didn’t do what he was supposed to do

28. carloswlassiter says:
    November 17, 2020 at 8:11 pm
    The media revels in stirring up trouble and trying to get the guy kicked out.

——————————
    While I agree with you most of the time on the media AB does this all on his own with no help from the media. The man can’t control him self.

29. As I understand it, it was an HOA security guard, not the police he “interacted” with. I don’t live in an HOA community for a reason (too many Karens). Brown would be much better off living in a rural area where his temper wouldn’t be under 24 hour scrutiny. Nobody cares if you throw a bicycle at your barn… just sayin.

30. What sets this guy off so easily? Around this same timeframe he was supposedly staying with Brady so he wasn’t even really living at this residence. He was probably just stopping in to like grab a change of clothes or something. How does that turn into throwing bicycles?

31. Actually, I don’t think there is any chance the NFL can do anything. He wasn’t a player or employed by the NFL at the time, so he had ZERO obligation to report an incident that resulted in no arrest. He wasn’t an employee, period. Even the NFL won’t try to push this, because they will get crushed in court and set a bad precedent.