Even Kirk Cousins didn’t agree with roughing the passer penalty on Lions

Minnesota Vikings v Detroit Lions - NFL Football Game
Getty Images

It hasn’t been discussed much because it happened in a game between two mathematically eliminated teams in Week 17, but one of the worst calls of the season took place in Sunday’s Vikings-Lions game.

The Vikings were going for it on fourth-and-goal at the 1-yard line when Detroit’s Tracy Walker came through on a blitz and drilled Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins on a good, hard, clean tackle. Somehow, the officials called Walker for roughing the passer, giving the Vikings an automatic first down. Two plays later, the Vikings scored a touchdown.

No one agreed with the call, except the referee who made it. It was clearly wrong, and it handed the Vikings a touchdown in a game they ended up winning by two points. In an important game, this would have caused an outrage across the league.

59 responses to “Even Kirk Cousins didn’t agree with roughing the passer penalty on Lions

1. I watched the replay a down times. And I think after a few times I finally saw what caused the call. It was subtle but there. While Walker did not land on Kirk with ALL his body weight, he DID bend his neck and drive his head into the turf during the tackle. And in the angle the ref had being directly behind them this was the most obvious to him. It was not as outrageous as everyone is making itnoutnto be.

2. Another erroneous call where the automatic first down on a defensive penalty hurts greatly. There is no offensive equivalence to the automatic first down (penalty thst sutomatically makes it fourth down).

Now yhat offensive holding is a thing of the past, i’d like to see the automatic first down eliminated and simply award the penalty yards. That would go a ling way to keeping defense relevant.

3. As crazy as it seems, the NFL wanted the lions to lose and the Vikings to win…. another horrible call was the touchdown catch, reversed. Does it have anything to do with the league under pressure to move the Thanksgiving game from Detroit because there always bad and out of it by this time? Better draft picks with a new coach to get better and take some pressure off??? Just coincidence… any takes on this
    Other fans?

4. A call FINALLY goes their way when it doesn’t matter. That ref just a lions fan and wanted the higher pick..

5. It should still cause outrage. QBs (offenses in general) don’t need anymore help being “great”. Especially Cousins.

6. I’m not a huge fan of replay, but that was a good example of a case where the College way of doing it is better.

7. Equally as bad was the TD taken from the Lions even after review. And it wasn’t so much a meaningless game keeping down the noise as it is two midwest teams with no playoffs. If it were cowboys giants that call would be everywhere 24/7 until at least Weds.

8. The referee should be fired. He doubled down on the call after the game. It’s one thing to make a mistake it’s another thing to refuse to admit your mistake and refuse to learn from it. Start firing these goofballs and the bad calls will stop.

9. hbudgess
    hbudgess says:
    January 5, 2021 at 6:55 am
    As crazy as it seems, the NFL wanted the lions to lose and the Vikings to win….

Exactly how big a moron are you? You looking for fake ballots in georgia too?

10. Typical Viking game where the zebras are their 12th man. The league needs to investigate.

11. 12brichandfamous says:
    January 5, 2021 at 6:36 am

——————

Intentional grounding is the closest equivalent. Usually a large loss in yards AND an automatic loss of down

12. “I said to the player who tackled me, right away, I said, ‘I don’t necessarily agree with that call, but I’ll take it,’’’ Cousins said, via the Pioneer Press.

____

That’s the most Kirk Cousins thing ever.

13. If that call had not been made, think of all the Packer fans with nothing to say on an article that doesn’t involve their team! Fortheloveallthatisholy, let it stand!

14. Wouldn’t be a Lions season if we didn’t get some awful officiating to complain about. Good thing they squeezed some into week 17 for us.

15. It wasn’t a bad hit at all, and it shouldn’t have been called. The league screwed us again, this time with draft positioning. If that call is not made like it shouldn’t have been, the Vikings lose the game and get a better pick. Now que the loser packer fans chiming in thinking they are something special.

16. Yeah, us Vikings fans never comment on calls that may have gone the Packers way . . . oh wait . . .

17. I haven’t seen a single reference online, but Mason Rudolph received not one, but two hands to the side of the head as the defensive player launched off the ground. The play resulted in an INT and subsequent Browns TD. Two rules were flagrantly broken on that play. Jerome Booger was staring at the play, but didn’t even begin to reach for a flag. Maybe his mask was pulled up over his eyes. I know the refs can’t catch everything, but at least get the basics right!

18. After Kirk hit the ground and opened his eyes and said “I don’t necessarily agree” with that call to the tackler he was shocked and said “hey your not Clay Mathews!”.

19. Auto first down has to exist, otherwise on 4th and 16+ there is no reason why you wouldn’t try and decapitate the QB and/or hold every receiver

20. That call kept the Vikings out of the division basement and likely saved Zimmers’ job for a good while. I’ll continue rolling my eyes whenever Viking Fan whines about poor calls.

21. “I said to the GM who signed me, right away, I said, ‘I don’t necessarily agree with that contract, but I’ll take it,’’’ Cousins said, via the Pioneer Press.

22. I’m not a big fan of automation in any field of work, with the exception of referees. The technology to replace them is there. Sensors in the ball and players’ uniforms track motions during the play. As the player motion data is gathered, Algorithms search out and find penalties. Referees will never decide the outcome of the game again. The extinction of the Zebras is on the horizon.

23. Yes, it was a bad call. But I’m having a tough time caring. I mean, at all. Oh, but if it happened in an important game…..well…..it didn’t. Now go book your tee time and call it a season.

24. “And I think after a few times I finally saw what caused the call. It was subtle but there.”

Uhhhh…so you had to watch multiple times to see a subtle something that you think maybe caused the call? Even you should disagree with you.

25. favresthumbdrive says:
    January 5, 2021 at 9:58 am
    ////////////
    Cousins is underpaid….
    NFL Rank since 2015:
    2nd comp pct; 4th passing yards; 5th passing TDs; 3rd QB Starts; 6th WINS; and has only missed 1 game.

26. supercharger says:
    January 5, 2021 at 8:16 am
    ///////////
    The refs are graded after every game, and can be disciplined to include; no playoff games, suspensions, and being fired. Yes, it does happen. Now, what’s the penalty at your work for one mistake? I know it’s hard for most to understand, but the refs get almost every single call correct, while the game is moving at a high rate of speed. And while I don’t think that was a penalty, it’s a judgment call. You should be complaining about whoever overturned the Lions TD catch.

27. “I said to the player who tackled me, right away, I said, ‘I don’t necessarily agree with that call, but I’ll take it,’’
    —–
    I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say Kirk got beat up a lot in school…

28. stellarperformance says:
    January 5, 2021 at 9:51 am
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No, you’ll continue to roll your eyes because that’s what window lickers do.

29. The Lions get jobbed by the refs more than any other team. It usually happens against the Packers, though. At least this time it worked out to their benefit.

30. stellarperformance says:
    January 5, 2021 at 9:51 am

————————————————————————————

That stinks! As a Viking sufferer for 60 years, I would have preferred the Vikings lost, got a higher pick AND fired Zimmer. You all make it sound like the call did Minnesota some kind of favor! SMH

31. I’ve always liked Zimmer and his team’s have been competitive, but I don’t think he’s well liked by the players. It’s strange that the Tyler Dunne article on Zim didn’t get any traction (unlike his article on the Rodgers/Packers disfunction that proved to be nothing) but it paints him in a not too flattering light and if true, it may be time to move on.

32. Lifelong Viking fan here.

That was a terrible call. Period. Detroit stopped them and earned the ball back, the refs gave the Vikings a generous second chance. No two ways about it.

Doesn’t mean DET would’ve won without that, but it sure didn’t help at all.

33. I didn’t think it was possible,but Vikings fans are sore losers even after they stumblebum their way into a rare and elusive win.

34. Vikings fans got to experience what it’s like to be a packers fan: being on the RIGHT side of horrendous officiating.

35. Vikings fans really are the worst in any sport. They don’t understand football at all, and they’re the biggest bandwagon fans I’ve ever met.

They celebrate injuries on other teams (I mean one of their most prolific fans on this site goes by the name a-rod in his collarbone), and they whine like they’re the only team that ever has to deal with injuries, bad calls, etc. But they “don’t care” when it’s a bad call that goes against their opponent.”

Just terrible humans all around.

36. Not a fan of either team and I didn’t watch the game, but Peter King posted a video on his FMIA.

The flag was the right call. Initial sack contact was fine but Walker, at the end, does a little leap (watch his left leg) on top of Cousins, who was already falling down. You can’t pile drive a QB to the ground as that’s RTP every time. If he just wrapped him up like a normal sack, it wouldn’t have been a penalty.

And regardless if Cousins agrees or not, he did not see Walker jump at the very end as his back was turned and he was already going to the ground and bracing himself from the ground impact.

37. That rule is the Aaron Rodgers rule. Thank Aaron Rodgers for that rule exisitng. The packers already get every call in their favor they had to make up new rules to favor their team more because they can’t win without them.

38. LOL. 192 downvotes on my comment!
    Guess this is mostly Lions (and Packer) fans here.
    Sorry but it’s true. The head being driven into the Turf was the reason the Ref called it. He could have not, but it happened.

Now was THIS MUCH FUSS made back when the Packers won on an untimed down last gasp hail mary by Rodgers after he was given a face-mask call on a Detroit defender when his face-mask was never touched?

No, it wasn’t. And why not? Because was LORD Rodgers and when Lord Aaron makes a signal that he WANTS a call.. the refs give it.

That was a game that COUNTED. And guess what team ended up being the 5th seed in the playoffs? That’s right. The very lucky Packers.

39. iliketurtles says: “The packers already get every call in their favor they had to make up new rules to favor their team more because they can’t win without them.”
    ——————

You do know they track RTP penalties and it’s widely available, right?

Rodgers has had a total of only 6 RTP calls in the last four years. In that time:
    – Josh Allen 17 (in just 3 years!)
    – Matt Ryan 20
    – Kirk Cousins 19
    – Carson Wentz 19
    – Goff 15
    – Mayfield 11
    – Fitzpatrick 20
    – Wilson 19

40. This is the Anthony Barr/Aaron Rogers rule. Once a QB’s shoulder is injured, few are able to come all the way back. So I get the rule if properly applied. As a Vikings fan who really wanted to win this game……………yeah, terrible call.

41. What’s the point of playing the series if the refs are just going to hand the offense a first down regardless. This is ruining the brand of football.

42. “ minnescrotums says:
    January 5, 2021 at 11:27 am
    Vikings fans really are the worst in any sport. ”

No sorry, not true. It is just as wrong to throw rocks at Packer fans. Most fans of both teams are good fans who love thier team and understand the game. The problem is, if you don’t know many of the other teams fans and judge them by what you read here, you will believe the worst. But really it is about a dozen or so people, some with several user names, who spread the hate and reflect badly both teams. There are a lot of great Vikings and Packers fans. And a small number of jerks.

43. Funny, the Seahawks got flagged for a very similar play, except that the Niners QB got the ball off just as he was being hit. But because it was Seattle, no one is making it a media event. Not sure why, but when the Lions get a bad call against them, it’s the talk of the national media. Even in a game that no one cared about. And a questionable call that hurts the Packer? That will be talked about for YEARS! Even if it happens in one of the first games of the season. That call (or non-call) will be the reason the Packers didn’t win the Super Bowl.

44. Viking fans designated the purposeful injury to Rodgers by the always late arriving Barr as one of the Top Ten Sports Events of the Decade. You can’t make this stuff up.

45. Didn’t see this play but during the bills game I saw 1 very blatant hold against the bills and 1 that’s was borderline but very easily could have been called (and has been in the past) that was done by the Bills. Some of these non calls are as embarrassing as some of the calls/

With so much subjective decision making on these calls, perhaps replay should be available on all calls

46. Wait….the Vikings and Lions played a game? 🤔

47. Even as a Vikings fan i know the Lions had the game stolen from them. Besides the BS roughing call the Lions had a TD catch taken from them. There were several angles that were shown and there is no way that per NFL rules was there clear evidence that the ball touched the ground. Basically the Vikings got screwed out of a higher draft pick.

48. Bad call for sure, but please no more calls to make these reviewable. The game is becoming unwatchable as it is when they review every other play. I’ve also had enough of this what constitutes a catch baloney. Bad calls happen, that’s life.