Chiefs optimistic Patrick Mahomes will be cleared to play

Divisional Round - Cleveland Browns v Kansas City Chiefs
Getty Images

Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes appears to be trending in the right direction to play in the AFC Championship Game.

Mahomes suffered a concussion on Sunday and remains in the concussion protocol but has cleared some steps already this week, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports. The report says the Chiefs are optimistic that he can practice this week and play Sunday.

In addition to the concussion, Mahomes suffered a foot injury, and that will also be worth monitoring this week. But Mahomes was continuing to play on the injured foot before he suffered the concussion, so it would appear not to be serious enough to keep him off the field.

If Mahomes isn’t cleared to practice, Chad Henne will be running the first-string offense.

69 responses to “Chiefs optimistic Patrick Mahomes will be cleared to play

1. The dude was ice skating off of the field, but somehow I am not shocked that he will be “cleared” by this weekend.

2. Just get him in the game. The AFC championship would be cheapened without Mahommes in the game and it looked like a pretty minor (if any) hit to the actual brain area.

3. If Mahomes is alive Sunday the NFL will let him play. Covid, concussion, gunshot wound – they will let him play.

4. Cue on all the Bills fans to tell the Chiefs they’re crazy to let him play this week…..

5. Mahomes could be seeing triple and have brain damage but there’s a zero percent chance the NFL doesn’t clear him for this game.

6. Of course he will be cleared to play, its the championship game. If this was week 3 he might not be cleared but who wants to see Henne vs Allen??

7. Hope Mahomes plays. Also don’t want him to risk his health. Most fans want to see the best teams compete for a championships. Bills fans want to beat the Chiefs with Mahomes in the lineup.

8. Josh Allen took a vicious hit, straight to the head last season suffering a concussion and was cleared to play the next Sunday. For whatever reason this has got little to no mention.

Besides, Mahomes did not suffer a concussion, it was a neck injury.

9. Some people see a conspiracy plot around every corner.

How about maybe he’s actually Ok? Legitimately clearing the concussion protocol in 5 days is not unprecedented, people.

10. I was really surprised how woozy Mahommes looked. I watched the play a bunch of times, and honestly, I’ve seen guys hit much harder and more directly in the head with fewer effects. Maybe it was more of the way his neck was twisted or pulled?

I don’t know. It was a weird play. Maybe it wasn’t as bad as it seemed.

All I know is that different people respond to and recover from concussions in unique ways. It’s possible he does recover quickly, especially if he’s never been concussed before (don’t know if he has).

It’s also possible his recovery is rushed since the championship game is this Sunday.

11. Lol he’s played football all of his life and some dummy (33yy) thinks he’s never been concussed before. Time to grow a brain, Moran.

12. You knew there was NO WAY that Goodell and his good buddy Clark Hunt weren’t going to find a way to “clear” him to play. Is anyone seriously surprised? Goodell won’t let the Super Bowl slip through their hands.

13. He should be out 3 plus weeks. He’ll be 50 years old acting like Uncle Rico telling us he doesn’t like green beans. It’s not about bravado or his contract, it’s about human health. Players that are concussed should be out minimum of 10 days. It shouldn’t be rope a dope.

14. I’m not sure why anybody is surprised. It wasn’t even a concussion he suffered. There are several nerves in the neck that if pinched right will make parts of your body go numb/limp. That’s all that happened. If he had laid there for a few minutes. Trainers come out and look at him. They go to break, he walks off fine he’s back in on the next series. The only reason he went into protocol was cause he wobbled getting up.

15. Cue on all the Bills fans to tell the Chiefs they’re crazy to let him play this week…..

For his long term health . Yes. Buffalo isn’t supposed to win this game so if we lose and he plays, no big deal. If they win, then it’s a huge upset. But there’s no coming back from losing to chad henne.

The pressure is all on KC. Defending champs, home field, beat buffalo already.
    Obviously a win is a win but if they were to win, I’d want it to be against mahomes. That way there’s no “excuses”
    By KC fans who act like they are the greatest dynasty in the history of all sports.

And in no way am I suggesting they will win but Chiefs fans are starting to sound like pats fans

16. he’s played football all of his life and some dummy (33yy) thinks he’s never been concussed before. Time to grow a brain, Moran.

What’s a Moran?

17. dangerruss1919 says:
    January 19, 2021 at 4:13 pm
    ========

So I don’t have access to his medical records so I don’t know for sure. He likely has, but it’s possible that he hasn’t. Not every hard hit to the head results in concussion. And in some people, minor hits to the head and neck do.

And I think the word you’re looking for, you know, in your brain, is “moron.”

Moron.

18. He had one concussion prior to this – if this is a concussion – in college five years ago.

19. billsfan716 says:
    January 19, 2021 at 4:23 pm

What’s a Moran?

Fun Fact: Moran is actually a small town in Allen County Kansas.

20. It’s a guarantee he’s playing. He could have been on his back out cold, and he would be cleared to play by Thursday

21. The 2 Utes says:
    January 19, 2021 at 4:29 pm
    billsfan716 says:
    January 19, 2021 at 4:23 pm

What’s a Moran?

Fun Fact: Moran is actually a small town in Allen County Kansas

——

Yes. In addition, Erin Moran played Joannie for years on the tv show Happy Days.

22. Well the league is fixed so yeah. Anybody who doesn’t believe it google the Falcons Bucs game this season with the ref moving the ball for no reason to give the bucs a better spot then tilting the sticks so they made the measurement in the last min.

23. As a Bills fan I know there is a 0% chance Mahomes misses the AFC Championship. First, he may not be experiencing any concussion symptoms. Really. Second, even if he is experiencing concussion symptoms Mahomes will deny it because he knows that is how he gets on the field for a game KC will absolutely lose without him. Mahomes will play and even if he is experiencing any concussion symptoms he will undoubtedly play very well.

The toe could be more of an issue as it is something that may hinder his movement and possibly even cause his throws to be a little off target. Plus, if his toe is slowing him down at all it is easy to see Andy Reid telling him to get down before he gets hit instead of indulging his usual habit of throwing his body around to move the chains.

24. Bills fans know all about what a backup can do in a playoff game – they remember Frank Reich beating the Oilers after being down 35-3 – so I doubt they will rest easy even if Henne plays.

25. I just hope he’s ok. He really got cracked in the dome. He was staggering around and being held in his teammates arms. PUT THE DAMN PADDING ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE HELMET LIKE Don Beebee FROM THE BILLS. The NFL is still not doing nearly enough to protect players heads.

26. I’m equally optimistic he will destroy the Bills defense and will wager accordingly (for entertainment purposes only as I live in California)

27. Optimistic* wink, wink.

They’re not letting Chad Henne start this game any sooner than they’re going to call me and ask if I can.

28. turkeycreekjackjohnson says:
    January 19, 2021 at 4:37 pm
    The 2 Utes says:
    January 19, 2021 at 4:29 pm
    billsfan716 says:
    January 19, 2021 at 4:23 pm

What’s a Moran?

Fun Fact: Moran is actually a small town in Allen County Kansas

——

__

Jerry Moran is a US Senator

29. billsfan716 says:

—————-

I think you’re confusing confidence in the Chiefs with arrogance. Mahomes is 38-8 in his young career. He inspires confidence. Trust me when I tell you that Chiefs fans understand humility given their history. We’re not taking any of this for granted.

30. Andy Reid has put up with a guy who got kicked off of Michigan for beating a woman and a guy who hit a pregnant woman and broke his toddlers arm in Hill, do you think there is any way that Reid cares about Mahome’s long term health? The only regret he probably has in life is releasing Hint when he got caught beating a woman.

31. kcnative says:
    January 19, 2021 at 11:58 am
    I train Brazilian jiu-jitsu. There is a similar choke called a “bow and arrow” choke. It’s basically the same as what happened to Mahomes.

I don’t know what jiu jitsu you do because what happened looked nothing at all like a “bow and arrow” choke.

32. Josh Allen vs. Chad Henne wouldn’t make for good TV. Of course Mahomes will play. Not a good move for his future health,but he’ll play.

33. Funny how everyone is so concerned about Mahomes’s health! For the most part, they are KC haters!

34. mjchockey1 says:
    January 19, 2021 at 5:13 pm
    ——————

You do know that it was proven Hill never broke his sons arm, that Hill wasn’t even in town at the time. Hunt never beta a woman, he lashed out at a woman who attacked him.

One problem with the story, the Chiefs already said it wasn’t a concussion but a nerve issue.

35. T Hill plead guilty to punching his then G/F. He had a public defender and was a black teenager. He plead to a charge that allowed his record to be expunged at the completion of his sentence. The DA in the case where his son broke his arm admitted that he wasn’t involved. It was an accident. Hill wasn’t even in the state when it happened. Facts are stubborn things.

36. lewansfingermoustache says:
    January 19, 2021

A still photo I saw looked like the collar and arm were constricting on his neck. Similar to how an attackers arm is positioned on the neck in a bow and arrow choke. Body positioning completely different…but similar on the arm. Hopefully that explains my rationale in the comparison. If we could post links I’d show two images that look VERY similar.

But video of it showed how quickly it happened and I think it happened too fast for him to get choked out. Betting on a nerve issue at this point. Either way I don’t believe he was concussed.

37. Randall Webb says:
    January 19, 2021 at 3:33 pm
    _______________________________________________________________________________
    Actually it’s the exact opposite.
    Bills fans don’t want to hear “You beat a Mahomes-less Chiefs”.
    Do I wish the weather was going to be decent so I can see what these two QB’s can do vs each other absolutely, but It is what it is… It’s supposed to be crappy weather.
    See… Mahomes started his career with a boatload of weapons… Kelce, Hill, Williams, Watkins… great O-line… Allen started with Benjamin, Zay Jones and a older McCoy. He didn’t get similar weapons to Mahomes until year 3… Diggs, brown, Beasley. He still doesn’t have a #1 TE and the jury is still out on Singletary, but head to head I think Allen is just as good as Mahomes, so I wouldn’t want anything less than a Mahomes led Chiefs team.

38. Looked like the crown of his helmet was driven into the ground,while he also had an arm around his neck. In any case,I don’t know why people are saying that he doesn’t have a concussion when he is in the protocol.

39. A lot of KC fans have big confidence in Henne above. This is the same Henne that threw up a punt int in this same Cleveland game that he completed 0 yard pass for a 1st down you KC fans are jacked up on that? That’s insulting and you deserve to lose.

40. You guys got me looking at this again.

When he first gets hit his left hand balls up and his right arm loosens on the ball. He’s already straightening out his arm and leg before the “choke” happens. I think that initial hit is what did it. I suppose it could be a freak concussion…but I’ve been watching football a long time and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a concussion where there isn’t some sort of strong blow to the head. Supposedly it happens.

Regardless, it seems he’s experiencing no symptoms after leaving the field. He’s supposed to practice tomorrow so we’ll see how he progresses throughout the week.

41. Do you really care about his health or do you just not want the chiefs to win?

As a local fan, I’m biased. But honestly let’s sit him. I want anither ring, but i also want my qb to not only play 20 years but not be punch-drunk when it’s all said and done.

42. Randall Webb says:
    January 19, 2021 at 3:33 pm

——————

As a Bills fan, I really hope they don’t let Mahomes play. Not because I want the Bills to have an advantage, but because I’m concerned about Mahomes’ long term brain health. I wish the whole thing never happened and he were 100%, but unfortunately that’s not the case. I want the Bills to face the Chiefs at full health. No excuses

43. Kerouac says:
    January 19, 2021 at 7:21 pm
    mahomes is ‘Charmin’ soft
    ____________________________________

Dude was playing the game hobbling on 1 foot. I wouldn’t call him soft.

44. Bills fans are praying he won’t play, but he will. And the Bills mafia, for about the 30th straight yr, will be looking forward to NEXT season.

45. Grant you can spin any narrative you want but Bills fans want Mahomes out there playing……read comments above if you can. Don’t come crying after they lose.

46. Independent Neurologists, in consultation with independent programming executives at CBS, have cleared him to return to practice.

47. To be honest:

This Bills fan isn’t praying for him not to play.
    My only prayer is to whatever is best for his long term health.

Do I think he got concussed? Yeah – probably. I don’t believe the “choked out” and “pinched nerve theories for a heartbeat. That’s why he’s in the protocol now. Then again – there are different types of concussions, with different severities. It’s perfectly possible he’ll be fine by the end of the week.

If he’s fine? Play on. If he’s not? Then I hope sanity prevails, and he IS held back this week. I’d rather see Mahomes play into HIS 40s than see him flame out due to traumatic brain injury.

~~~
    Frankly – I think the current Bills *can* take KC – even if he is at full capabilities.

(Yes – KC won when they met earlier this year. Most people fail to remember that Josh Allen was playing injured with a brace on his separated non-throwing shoulder. That’s the main reason his throws were off the two games they lost in the second quarter of the season. The Bills were also down Matt Milano, arguably their best DB. I think this team, now – is better than they were then.)

You gotta beat the best to be the best.
    Let’s go Buffalo!

48. Oh, good to see the Chiefs fans turning into Pats fans. Maybe they just jumped ship from the pats.

49. While we would all love to see him play, remember he is signed to a 10 year contract. Everyone needs to think about Mahomes future.

50. He has yet to pass all the tests. They are done in a process over days by non-NFL doctors.