Big Ten Football Championship - Ohio State v Wisconsin
Getty Images

The Packers are casting a wide net in their search for their next defensive coordinator.

Per a report from Rob Demovsky of ESPN, Green Bay will interview Wisconsin defensive coordinator Jim Leonhard, Browns defensive line coach Chris Kiffin, Saints defensive line coach/assistant head coach Ryan Nielson, Eagles defensive line coach/run game coordinator Matt Burke, and Green Bay defensive backs coach Jerry Gray. All of those interviews are scheduled for Tuesday or Wednesday.

Green Bay has already interviewed Chargers defensive passing game coordinator Joe Barry, Washington defensive backs coach Chris Harris, Rams safeties coach Ejiro Evero, and Falcons senior assistant Bob Sutton.

The Packers did not renew Mike Pettine’s contract after the 2020 season. One factor may have been the miscommunication at the end of the first half in the NFC Championship Game that resulted in Scotty Miller‘s 39-yard touchdown reception.

24 responses to “Jim Leonhard, Chris Kiffin among several Packers defensive coordinator candidates

1. I’d hate to see him leave Madison, but I think Jimmy Leonhard will blow Matt LaFleur away in the interview. I would not be the least bit surprised if Jimmy is the next Packers DC.

Matt is indeed casting a wide net in this search, and that’s a good thing. A lot of interviews also means countless coaches have shown strong interest in being the Packers defensive coordinator.

Will be interesting to see who wins the grand prize and gets the job.

#OneTeamOneNation

#PackersNation!✊

2. That call was as bad or worse than the Williams call that got him canned. Williams at least got his team better draft position. How is the endzone not full of guys with a second left in an obvious HM situation? Bizarre.

3. I’d hate to see Leonhard leave the Badgers, but it would be great to see him with the Packers.

4. ariani1985 says:
    February 2, 2021 at 10:17 am
    Sounds like the equivalent of Larry, Curly and Moe?
    What about Cagney and Lacey?

——————————————————————————————–

Sorry, Larry, Curly, and Moe are already employed by the Vikings, and I believe Cagney and Lacey are part of the Vikings’ strength and conditioning team.

5. Those Packers should have a defensive coordinator (whoops, I mean head coach) like our coach Zimmer. Championship win after championship win . . . and his coordinators never get blamed for anything . . . oh wait.

6. Oooh…….I didn’t want to say anything but I was really, really hoping Leonard’s name would come up. We need more outside-the-box youngbloods like LaFleur. I’ve had my fill of old-school out-of-touch coaches like McCarthy, Capers, Zimmer, et al.

7. They all look like pliable candidates, should be able to fit under the packer bus with ease

8. stellarperformance says:
    February 2, 2021 at 10:44 am

=================

Age doesn’t determine anything. Watching LaFleur kill his team’s chances with those cowardly field-goal calls against the Bucs was just as bad and “out-of-touch” as anything I’ve ever seen a coach do.

Hopefully he learns from his mistakes, and quickly.

9. ariani1985 says:
    February 2, 2021 at 10:17 am
    Sounds like the equivalent of Larry, Curly and Moe?
    What about Cagney and Lacey?
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

harianus says what?

10. It sure seems as if this defense now needs a leader who has a real fire in his belly. Somebody who wears just a bit of that fire on his sleeve and demands the same of his defense. Leonard would be a huge step in the right direction in this regard. Whatever they do, I sure hope they do not promote somebody currently on their staff. I am still scratching my head on the Special Teams Coordinator hire….where you have a bottom rated special teams and rightly fire their coordinator…..only to promote his deputy 🙁

11. stellarperformance says:
    February 2, 2021 at 10:44 am

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Your outside the box youngblood just cost you the NFCCG…..unless you want to blame AR for coming up smalll AGAIN…..oh wait it was a “phantom” PI call, right….?

12. Thanks. I’ll take this as a (good!) sign the Joe Barry interview didn’t go well.

Bob Sutton???? Was Dom Capers unavailable??? OMG…

13. I actually think The Badgers’ DC would be a good choice, as the WI D is consistently well-coached. Then again, older dudes with experience aren’t all that bad — all you have to do is look to the two SB coaches to defeat tired argument against old retreads.

14. Then again, older dudes with experience aren’t all that bad — all you have to do is look to the two SB coaches to defeat tired argument against old retreads.
    =====

Hard to compare anyone to Reid, who is a generational mind, that has been one step ahead of the League for a couple decades now.

15. Us Vikings faithful sure like looking up at the Packers . . . in the standings . . . and among the fans.

16. Are Viking fans sharp enough that they’re poking fun at their own team with these “thrown under the bus” comments or are they just that oblivious?

17. freefromwhatyouare says:
    February 2, 2021 at 10:11 am
    I’d hate to see him leave Madison,
    ————
    That’s a surprise as most rodent fans (Wisco and MN) were throwing their DCs under the bust after Iowa spanked them this year.

18. Jim Leonhard has been a serious overachiever all his career.

A walk-on at Wisconsin who became a star; undrafted into the NFL because of his size, so signed as an undrafted free agent and went on to a great 10 year career, now a relentless DC back at Wisconsin in Madison.

I would never underestimate the guy.

19. jredshoes says:
    February 2, 2021 at 6:40 pm
    But they let 7500 healthcare workers come for free. Oh btw these workers are all from the Tampa area. So essentially in the name of “neutrality” they are loading the stands with Tampa fans. I’m a vaccinated healthcare worker from a kc and none of us were invited. It’s all about optics, not reality

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz