Chris Jones: I keep telling myself I won’t lose in the Super Bowl again

USA TODAY Sports

The Chiefs came close to becoming the first team since the 2004 Patriots to win back-to-back Super Bowls, but ultimately fell short of their goal to “run it back.

During a Tuesday interview with Sports Radio 810 in Kansas City, Chiefs defensive lineman Chris Jones said the experience of dropping the big game isn’t one he’s eager to repeat. And it took him a little time to process the loss.

“I thought about it after the game. I had a long plane ride home,” Jones said. “I had a moment to appreciate the season, especially with all the adversity that we faced along the way. Especially with COVID and the pandemic, I had to appreciate that we were still able to have a season. But that motivated me even more.

“I keep telling myself I won’t lose in the Super Bowl again, but I’m just [working] and I’m going to put myself in a position to give this team the best of me. That’s all you can do. You really can’t hang on a loss because we’ve got to focus on this season. It happens, unfortunately. So unfortunately, there’s a winner and there’s a loser and we’re always playing to win, but sometimes things don’t go according to the plan. But we’ve still got another opportunity to come back, especially with this team that we have. So let’s focus on this year, getting better, getting the best we can be as a person and bringing it through OTAs and training camp.”

Given that the Chiefs have their core locked up — including quarterback Patrick Mahomes — they have as good a shot as anyone to reach the Super Bowl again. But Kansas City is currently projected to be over the 2021 salary cap, so some hard roster decisions could be on the way.

19 responses to “Chris Jones: I keep telling myself I won’t lose in the Super Bowl again

1. Umm, you may not even make it back. The arrogance and entitlement and disrespect of other teams.

That’s why you lost.

2. That 15 yard personal foul stupidity in the last Super Bowl says he doesn’t have the self control to avoid critical blunders.

3. This dude needs to stop talking about Super Bowls like he’s the one that gets them there. Team sport pal. They genuinely could get there without him bc of Mahomes if we want to individualize things.

4. the refs turned beating the Bucs into an insurmountable task instead of a difficult one. And those early fouls impacted the entire game. It was 7-3 before the first bogus flag, then all of a sudden it’s 21-3 thanks to at least five garbage calls.

5. vikinghooper says:
    February 24, 2021 at 11:46 am

Bucs lineman Ryan Jensen punched Chris Jones in the face, Jones punched back and the refs caught the guy that retaliated.

6. touchback6 says:
    February 24, 2021 at 11:37 am

That’s why you lost.

An injury depleted O Line, dropped TD passes and Refs are why the Chiefs list.

7. Yea, how many times did you harass Brady that night? sack him? take the ball away? Did you knock him out of the game? prolly wouldn’t have mattered but yea…and I hope you never make it back.

8. touchback6 says:
    February 24, 2021 at 11:37 am

That’s why you lost.

——————————————————————————————

That’s why the Patriots didn’t make the playoffs actually.

9. patrickmahomesblockedme says:
    February 24, 2021 at 11:56 am
    vikinghooper says:
    February 24, 2021 at 11:46 am

4 8 Rate This

————-

Should have been matching or nothing. Worst sb ever played in the cap era. Ratings reflected that. People have had it with Goodell’s antics.

10. damcmp says:
    February 24, 2021 at 11:44 am

What ever makes you feel better. Mahomes has been exposed! Haha

============

Come on, that’s silly. Mahomes himself is all that kept them in the game from an offensive standpoint. What was “exposed” was the Chiefs’ offensive game plan, their OL issues, and their seeming refusal to adjust.

That’s mostly a coaching issue. To watch their OL getting demolished on every play but not change the plan to provide them more help and slow the game down (to keep it from getting out of hand, as it did) is on the coaches who controlled those decisions. Job #1 should have been shoring up the front and then building out the offense from there. That they never did this is still baffling.

11. Is this the same guy who brazenly said he was going to win 6 or 7 Super Bowls before being schooled by Tampa?

12. When you are 4th most penalized team and have a refs team with 105yards/game penalties number, still you are surprised that these refs are throwing flags. Pathetic.

13. the refs turned beating the Bucs into an insurmountable task instead of a difficult one. And those early fouls impacted the entire game. It was 7-3 before the first bogus flag, then all of a sudden it’s 21-3 thanks to at least five garbage calls.
    ——

Come to grips with the fact that you were outclassed in every conceivable aspect of that game.

You weren’t the first, you won’t be the last.

14. Exposed? That sounds like wishful thinking. Tampa played a great game. Even without the refs, the Chiefs were going to lose that game. It just wasn’t their day. But to think that now, finally now, the blueprint is out on Mahomes is ridiculous. We heard that after the Pats beat them in the AFCCG. Then after the Broncos and Chargers showed everyone to play coverage. There isn’t another team with the talent to do what Tampa did and I doubt the Chiefs will be down to their 4th string tackles again.

15. Talk to Bruce Smith. He was on the losing end of four super bowls, but he’s doing fine. He’s a first ballot HOFer. You can only control what you can control. Just keep getting to the super bowl. There’s no shame in losing a super bowl.