Report: Cam Newton re-signing with Patriots

New York Jets v New England Patriots
Getty Images

Cam Newton and the Patriots are running it back.

The quarterback is re-signing with New England on a one-year deal, according to a report from Jim McBride of the Boston Globe.

Newton signed with the Patriots in July of last year to a one-year, $1.75 million contract. He started 15 games for the club in 2020, throwing for 2,657 yards with eight touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Newton’s 82.9 passer rating was 28th among 35 qualified passers.

But Newton was one of the league’s most effective runners at quarterback, account for 592 yards on the ground and 12 rushing touchdowns. He also caught a pair of passes for 35 yards with a TD.

Newton joins Jarrett Stidham and Jake Dolegala as New England quarterbacks under contract. According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, signing Newton will not stop the Patriots from making another move at QB this offseason.

136 responses to “Report: Cam Newton re-signing with Patriots

1. I think Billy is too stubborn to admit he screwed it up with Brady and wants to prove he can make anything work. Cam is cooked, too many beatings over the years.

2. This is surprising. Hopefully its a cheap deal so they can spend the cap around him.

3. Why? Why would you re-sign him? HE CAN’T THROW THE BALL! This will impact their ability to get free agents. Nobody will want to go there.

4. Surprising move. Maybe the Pats are drafting a QB and Cam will be the bridge. Could still see him not making it through training camp.

5. Why?

This better mean they are going to move up in the draft and try and get a QB.

6. Another season wasted due to Belichick not wanting to admit failure. Great more groundballs and idiotic picks coming up.

7. Works well for both. Patriots have another viable QB at a bargain price and Newton gets a chance to revive his career if the opportunity presents itself.

8. After how bad he looked last season, I’m surprised anybody signed him. Let alone the Patriots, who saw that painful-to-watch throwing motion up close.

9. Who’s next year’s top prospect? The Patriots are in the running for the 1st pick in 2022!!

10. Why? For what? Are they looking at him as a backup or do they plan on drafting Justin Fields or something and believe Newton would make for a great mentor to the young QB? Newton is well past his expiration date and is nothing more than a backup caliber QB at this point, I guess if you plan on just keeping him around as a backup $1.75M is cheap for a backup QB with the skills of Newton but if I’m Billy B I am MOST DEFINITELY either drafting a QB1 or looking to sign or trade for a starting QB in free agency.

11. Fun fact: Cam Newton has more career rushing touchdowns (70) than Hall of Famers Herschel Walker or OJ Simpson (61 apiece).

12. WOW….. just WOW….. if he ends up starting I’ll be a Tampa fan AS WELL AS A BRADY FAN this coming season!!!!
    Talk about letting the wind out of the sails…..

13. Oh well it was a good run but if newton is playing I won’t be watching anymore had enough of that last season no thanks.

14. Tim Wakefield’s knuckleball hits the catchers mitt, it doesn’t get bounced in front of home plate like cams throws to a receiver do. This also says bill won’t overpay for the current QB market, and intends to draft one.

Then again, after 35 years of following this team, I have no clue what it says, other than I don’t want cam as our QB, and would rather trade for Jimmy.

15. Why??? In all my years as a patriot fan… (55 years) I have never seen a poorer passer than Cam was last year. I know he can run. The league caught on to this by mid season and his rushing ability and yardage went down hill.

8 TD’s 10 Interceptions

6 Fumbles and under 39 yards rushing per game…..

Why Coach??? Please tell me there is another Qb coming in??? Please????

16. This makes no sense, unless it is just an insurance policy. Cam will bring the same 5 to 7 wins again. Some exciting scramble plays but very little else.

17. Effective runners…lol They were either designed plays or he was running for his life for lack of an open receiver. He wont be any better this year.

18. Another year to prove he can be the franchise QB, going forward? I believe he is just a place holder.

19. Better be as a backup to mentor a rookie or a youngin salvaged from a wasteland team.

20. Well I don’t have to watch the Pats in the playoffs. Bill this guy is awful and with people in the stands this year your gonna hear it loud and clear.

21. I know I’m in the minority on this one as a Pats fan, but I don’t hate it. Give Cam a full off season with an actual training camp (hopefully some help on mechanics), and see what happens. That roster from last year was way more than just a decent QB away from being a playoff team so use the savings on the other areas of need. And if a QB they like drops to 15 in the draft, or if there’s someone with upside in rd 2 or 3, they can still pull the trigger on that.

22. Well, isn’t that just a wonderful start to the day. Now, after a stellar 2020, I’m thinking we have to be talking Dak money.

23. On the plus side Cam seems to have matured off the field. However, his skill set seems to have seriously eroded. I am a bit surprised the Patriots went this route.

24. I’m not as down on Newton as everyone else.

Even Brady struggled in his last year with the lousy WRs and TEs on this team – if NE reloads at those positions it might look a lot different.

25. Superbowl here we come! (It may take more than a few year to get there though)

26. They need a bridge QB until their 2021 1str rounder is ready in ’22. Could’ve done much better than Newton, but could’ve done worse (Bears, Redskins, 9’ers).

27. Let’s see; a QB that stinks at passing, and you didn’t make the playoffs? And you want that back? Weird.

28. Belichick probably thinks that with the whole team back that he can do what he wanted to last year (and almost did with no team): play good D and hold the ball on O. No one says that Cam is starting, but they don’t have the pieces to go after Deshaun and after that who else is there? Sure you can draft someone, but the big names will be gone. Given his praise of Cam last year, this should not be a shock.

29. This is Bill being his usual stubborn self. He can’t be wrong. He’ll go to his grave trying to win a SB with Brady’s replacement. Suffice to say I hate this signing.

30. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This guy is a freaking dumpster fire and BB brings him back AND gives him a raise? Who else was going to sign him that he had to pay him even that much?

31. Pats fan here. I am not sure he is our best option, but like the move if we can sign him for a reasonable price. Lock him up now before free agency in a way that the cost to part ways in August is bearable. That gives us some insurance if we can’t land someone better and gives him a whole off-season to try to reach his potential. The more I think about it, the more positive I become on it (though that could change once I see the contract numbers!). I like Newton’s attitude and hope he sees more success.

32. Lets shoot for 9 passing touchdowns this year! I can’t imagine how you watch tape of his season and don’t think you need a better quarterback.

I can’t imagine that he is the plan to start in September. I am sure there are moves still to be made, players to draft.

33. Well, armchair coaches. What was the alternative? Doesn’t stop the Patriots drafting someone else now, does it??

34. In Bill we trust? This better be a diversion to throw people off the real prize we’re after. I could have sworn the Cam Newton I watched last year couldn’t throw a football to save his life, but maybe that was another reality, or another Cam. Maybe just maybe…

35. This means very little. My gut tells me Cam isn’t even on the opening day roster. This is like the axe in the glass case, except in this instance the axe is very, very dull and the handle is cracked, one blow with this axe and your goose is cooked.

36. NEW ENGLANDERS BEFORE BRADY: Cowboys & Giants fans

NEW ENGLANDERS WITH BRADY: Patriots fans

NEW ENGLANDERS AFTER BRADY: Die hard Buccaneers fans

37. Belichick needs to be checked for the concussion protocol. He’s not right in the head

38. Year #2 of no Patsies in the Playoffs. I would like to see this continue for as long as I live.

39. Bill loves to be contrarian.

2. Bill likes leaders and Cam’s a leader.

3. He’ll draft a QB, maybe the kid from Standford that he thinks is good vale.

4. We may look askance but players want to play with Cam.

5. Bill wants guys who are motivated and Cam is motivated.

40. Cam’s signing with Patriots means even the washington football team wasn’t interested.

41. So he plays like absolute trash in all but one or two games and you more than double his pay? Wtf BB is a horrible GM.

42. For 14 million. Cam will be on the roster. Who the heck was Bill even bidding against to offer 14 million. Tom took away Bill’s chess set!

43. Maybe someone can answer a question. Cam lives on a Vegan diet, right? How can a professional athlete live on that kind of diet at perform at a high level. Don’t get me wrong, I applaud anyone who can maintain that sort of discipline. But I think it’s a valid question.

44. I hope that Belichick at least make a few moves that will give fans a glimmer of hope. This one sure doesn’t. It must be nice for Cam…all washed up and still making bank. I just don’t get it.

45. Maybe Belichick is thinking that CAM is a better tight end than anyone else on the team.

46. PFTSelectiveCensorship says:
    March 12, 2021 at 9:29 am

Contract worth close to 14 mil. Pretty nice raise..

Guess CAM saying nice things about Belichick in the past few months worked.

47. tigerlilac says:
    March 12, 2021 at 9:28 am
    Bill loves to be contrarian.
    2. Bill likes leaders and Cam’s a leader.
    3. He’ll draft a QB, maybe the kid from Standford that he thinks is good vale.
    4. We may look askance but players want to play with Cam.
    5. Bill wants guys who are motivated and Cam is motivated.

1. No they aren’t and Cam’s running scares NO good defense. If NE wants to run the ball, they are going to have to replace Thuney and Andrews and that won’t be easy. Neither is re-signing with that sinking ship.
    2. No he isn’t – not even close. Leaders don’t wear towels over their head and sulk on the bench after their latest fumble/pick.
    3. Worked so well with Stidham
    4. No they don’t. You cannot be serious.
    5. Maybe to buy a new suit. I’m motivated too but I also cannot throw a football well.

48. Guess the Patriots are still tanking. At least they didn’t trade for Garrapolo.

49. zonedout100 says:
    March 12, 2021 at 8:23 am

Funny you think it’s Cam that will cause players to avoid NE. I think Stafford will have had more impact on their ability to recruit FAs than Cam.

50. This tells you all you need to know about how they view Stidham’s “development.” Not even like Cam plays a similar style where you could write it off as Stidham learning from him. It’s just a matter that they view basically anybody as an upgrade over Stidham.

51. It was a 7-9 team with a top ten defense after the most opt-outs in the league. They beat Baltimore. They had the Chiefs in a game late into the second half with Hoyer at QB when they lost Newton to COVID, and they lost like four or five games on the last possession. This was all done by everyone’s estimation the team with the worst receiving targets in football and a QB who had no off-season with them. I really have no idea why everyone is so surprised.

52. riverhorsey says:
    March 12, 2021 at 8:28 am
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Newton gets a chance to revive his career? Did you sleep through last season?

53. Who was a better option than Cam?

We should have won 9 games last year.

Getting our defense back should add another 2 this year.

11-5

54. This makes sense. Pat’s are going to go all in on the run, bring in a veteran TE to handle the short/middle passing game and block and let Cam manage the game and mentor a young QB if they draft one. Wait until free agency and the draft play out before we pass judgment on this signing but I like it.

55. I’d be screaming if it were a 2 year deal but it’s only 1. And I certainly would think they’ll be bringing in some one else. Either way, FA starts in a few days and good luck bringing in ANY WR’s and TE’s (which they desperately need) with complete uncertainty at the QB position.
    My concern with Cam was how many balls he bounced at the feet of wide open receivers last season. Understood there was a serious lack of talent at those two positions, absolutely. But in sooo many instances a guy was wide open in the flat and Cam would throw either bounce it or throw the ball at his feet. Over and over. There was a lack of talent involved in those plays as well but it wasn’t on the part of the receivers.

56. I am very surprised by this, as I am sure everyone else is, too. I would bet the ranch that the Pats will draft a QB, though.

57. riverhorsey says:
    March 12, 2021 at 8:28 am
    ////////////
    This post from last year did not age well. What? It was a new post from today?! Well, that’s just ridiculous.

58. Something that I had not considered: the Pats have a LOT of cap space. This may well be the only year the cap goes down like it has forcing a lot of teams to cut starters for cost. That means a LOT of very good players floating around unexpectedly. Many of then will be willing to take a season in NE at lowball money hoping to come out next year with a higher cap and grab big contracts when the cash flows again. BB could build a one-year Frankenstein team of hired guns and draft well to let them learn behind all stars for a year. Sounds kinda Belichickian.

59. Can you imagine what Josh McDaniels must be thinking. He’s trapped with this garbage.

60. “We should have won 9 games last year.

Getting our defense back should add another 2 this year.

11-5”

_____________________________

You are your record. Why “should” they have won 9? They could have also easily lost the 1st Jets game and Ravens game, among others.

The Patriots weren’t a good team last year, and re-signing Cam is the best news the rest of the division could have gotten. Miami and Buffalo will compete for the top spot, and it wouldn’t surprise me at all if the Patriots ended up in 4th this year.

This is a surprising move, to say the least.

61. I continue to enjoy the mental gymnastics the Pats fans who believe in Stidham have to go through. The only reason they know Stidham’s name is that BB drafted him–which means he’s destined to be great. BUT… then BB won’t start him so it’s clear he has zero confidence in the kid. It’s like they have to take sides in an imaginary argument between today’s Bill and the Bill who drafted Stidham, arguing Bill somehow was totally right to draft him but somehow is now totally wrong.

62. This makes sense to me. The Pats didn’t see franchise talent in the FA QBs. So any pick up would have been a rental. A rental who has to learn a complex system. Even if, and that is a big if, there is a quality QB available at #15, the Pats wouldn’t pay the $ which that pick demands. Newton is now familiar with the system and the personnel. Don’t forget 3 if not four of their losses came in the final minutes. The Pats are getting Covid hold outs back. This will be a different year. Since they were 26th and 27th in Sacks (26), Rushing yards(26), and Red Zone TDs(27) I hope they spend the 15th pick on a top quality defensive resource (unless there is an unbelievably talented, NFL ready WR available?).

Given Bill’s history, there is a 70% chance they trade the 15th to gain more draft capital.

63. 1. Defenses are getting smaller and faster to stop high powered passing attacks so Bill will emphasize the run, ball control, and ball security.
    2. Bill likes leaders and Cam’s a leader.
    3. He’ll draft a QB, maybe the kid from Standford that he thinks is good vale.
    4. We may look askance but players want to play with Cam.
    5. Bill wants guys who are motivated and Cam is motivated.

3. Worked so well with Stidham
    4. No they don’t. You cannot be serious.

1. NE has a great rushing attack and an excellent O-Line. They have a replacement for Thuney(Owenu) and Andrews ain’t goin’ anywhere.
    2. CNewton has been a consummate leader in NE. Always took responsibility and never hung his head.
    3.Worked with Brady, Cassel and Garoppolo.
    4.Yes, they do. The players love Cam.
    5.Of course Cam is motivated. He’s playing for his reputation and his next contract.

Can’t lie, I wish the Pats had a better plan. We’ll see what the Pats do in the draft. But, Newton has excuses. Coming off injuries, signing in June, trying to learn one of the most complicated offenses in the NFL on the fly, atrocious collection of WRs and TEs and he got Covid. I don’t think ground balls were the main problem. After his 1rst read got no separation(almost always), Cam just stood there with the ball or took off running. Maybe an offseason with the team will help.

64. And there goes EVERY SINGLE PATRiOTS FAN!!!! Great job, Robert Kraft…. Some great business skills you got going over there. Sell the team!!!

65. Is it too much to hope that the Patriots will draft a QB and Cam will be the bridge (with more time this year to learn the system),and mentor the new guy? I’m just trying to see the logic in re-signing him. It can’t possibly be another season of watching him throw balls into the ground and getting sacked constantly, unless Belichick wants to torture the fans again.

66. MortimerInMiami says:
    March 12, 2021 at 8:22 am
    The rest of the AFCE is very pleased to read this
    ———————-
    Flores will sign him next year being an ex patriot and all.

67. They will likely still draft a quarterback in the first round. It will probably be Mac Jones.

68. It looks like Brady took Bill’s chessboard down to Tampa, while Bill is stuck with Snakes and Ladders.

69. It’s all part of Belichick’s master plan. The rude awakening has begun.

70. kissbillsrings says:
    March 12, 2021 at 8:36 am

Talk about letting the wind out of the sails…..

—————————

I’m not a Patriots fan, but man you guys need to give Bill a little more credit. 9 SB appearances, 6 wins and you’re bailing after 1 season with COVID nonsense going on? I recall seeing a couple of tight games w/Cam at QB (against Seahawks and Buffalo). I mean they were at the doorstep of winning those. They win those they’re at 9-7.

I’m not a Cam fan either, but give him a break as well. Let’s see a full offseason of work with him. Where are those Pats fans that say “In Bill We Trust?”

Weak sauce.

71. Oh boy, the gift that keeps on giving. It’s gonna be so much fun watching Pats fans slowly realize Bill isn’t the chess player they thought he was.

72. Bringing Cam back is proof that Belichick isn’t trying to win a Super Bowl this year. He’s trying to win the draft.

73. Where are those Pats fans that say “In Bill We Trust?”
    ———

Pretty obvious.

They’re all riding the Brady Express.

74. This thread is a riot.

The guys who played high school football think they are better GMs, talent evaluators and team builders than Belichick.

They are such great negotiators they assumed Bill just handed Cam $14MM ($6MM is tied to performance).

Cam, a guy who won a Heisman and an NFL MVP, who works hard, plays hard, and doesn’t pass the buck is someone they want to deride. Heck, one Mensa candidate
    claims Bill is signing Newton because he says complementary things about Bill.

What I see in this thread is fear. Bill’s not running around with his hair on fire he is executing his game-plan and no one game-plans better tan Belichick. That scares the haters.

75. It’s only 14 million if they win the Super bowl . Otherwise it’s 6 million not sure what’s guaranteed.

76. I thought the Stidham era had just started? in other news Cam can afford some new funky suits and hats!

77. I think everybody forgot Cam had COVID last year and simply wasn’t the same guy afterwards. I’m not a huge Cam Newton fan but I watched his play before and after he had the virus. His QB type stuff (presence and targeting) were day and night in comparison.

78. shihtzumum says:
    March 12, 2021 at 9:19 am

——

Jacoby Brissett, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jameis Winston…do you want me to keep going? Nothing resembling a starting QB for 2021 is going to be available at pick 15. BB moves down to get more picks, not the other way around.

79. Cam Newton at this point is not even a stop gap if you were making the move to draft a QB he is more of a WASTED gap, Since they are so many guys out there who are better than him. For example a Jameis Winston just a couple of season ago had Tampa with the number 3 Rank Offense and would have won games if his defense wasn’t so TERRIBLE.

Its one thing when you have turnovers and NOT troubling the Scoreboard but Winston was lighting it up, So imagine him on the Patriot’s with a Defense putting up big yards and those numbers. The happiest folks when it comes to this news are the teams in that AFC East Division.

80. We’re all armchair QBs. Belichick must see stuff from Newton that we aren’t seeing.

81. Belichick may be going for a QB in the draft…..or wants another terrible season so that he can get a QB in next year’s draft.

Some of the best quarterbacks in NFL history were drafted in later rounds:

Joe Montana – 3rd round
    Tom Brady – 6th round

82. zonedout100 says:
    March 12, 2021 at 8:23 am
    ——————————————————————————————–

I read an article claiming the opposite. Basically, here is the theory: Bill likes Cam and players still like and respect Cam. By the time the draft comes around and all the QB trade scenarios shake out, there won’t be any free agent weapons left. NE had to sign a QB now, and this is the “best” they could do for now. They still want to add more QB(s) later if they can. In the meantime, they hope there’s enough to the idea that COVID (actually having it, and not being able to practice and learn the team because of it) affected Cam to the point that enough players still think he can get it done with a full offseason of health and prep.

83. Like what fans saw last year from Cam wasn’t enough. The arm strength, the accuracy I mean it was something to see. Right? Uh, Maybe not so much. Unless the the tickets are free at Gillett this year why go watch that?

84. Well Bill will be retired after next yr and then NE gonna hire McDaniels watch him fail like rest of Bill’s coaching tree great qbs sure make a coach look good

85. pooman420 says:
    March 12, 2021 at 8:32 am

————————————–

FYI – Herschel is NOT in the HOF.

86. Too many years of Belilchick paying peanuts for quality players. That well has gone dry.
    There ain’t no Coup de Ville hiding at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box.

87. Funny how all the cheating conspiracy theorists have turned into crickets. With Brady winning the SB on a different team and Pats not even making the playoffs it pretty much squashes that notion. According to those that kept whining about cheating we could have had Hoyer as the starter and made a deep playoff run since that’s all we seemed to do. Or wait a sec…… are the Bucs cheating now??

88. At least we don’t have to hear the Stephen A “hot take” on this if he wasn’t signed.