Kyle Van Noy praises Bill Belichick, says “no comment” on Brian Flores

Cincinnati Bengals v Miami Dolphins
Getty Images

Linebacker Kyle Van Noy is back in New England after playing last year in Miami, and it sounds like playing a year for the Dolphins has made him appreciate the Patriot Way.

Van Noy, who previously played for the Patriots from 2016 to 2019, was asked how it was different playing for Dolphins head coach Brian Flores in Miami compared to playing for Flores when he was an assistant in New England.

“Yeah, no comment,” Van Noy said about Flores.

Van Noy’s previous comments made clear he was extremely disappointed that the Dolphins cut him after one year in which he played through injuries: “I am surprised and disappointed in their decision,” Van Noy said when the Dolphins cut him. “As a captain, I gave my all to the team. I fought through a painful hip injury during the season, including spending a night in the hospital after a game. I was brought there to be a leader and I know my teammates looked up to and respected me.

But while Van Noy isn’t talking about Flores, when asked about Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, Van Noy said it’s an honor to play for him.

“It means a lot. When you have one of the greatest, if not the greatest coach in the game, a defensive mind, pick you, I think that speaks volumes of who he thinks I am as a player,” Van Noy said.

Van Noy said he’ll be excited to face the Dolphins twice in 2021.

“I know everything they do down there,” Van Noy said. “It’s going to be good.”

46 responses to “Kyle Van Noy praises Bill Belichick, says “no comment” on Brian Flores

1. I am really glad to have him back. He was a big part of the defense and it lacked that spark when he left.

2. Whichever way the wind blows I guess with this guy. Last year Van Noy was ripping Cam and now he’s buying him dinner. Maybe if he had been able to stay on the field more he’d still be in Miami.

3. **Sour Grapes** Now that your playing for a loser team of course you will say that. Remember when it was the other way around when the Patriot players would go to Miami for the big payday?

4. I’ll never forget watching the Lions draft this guy and immediately knowing they would miscast him. Sure enough they put him in a 4-3 where his talents were masked. Years later their silly GM traded him to New England for a 6th I believe. Just gave him away. He obviously thrived. All these years later Detroit is still rebuilding because of bone headed decisions like that.

5. I don’t know why he is upset. Flores did exactly what BB does: used a player and got rid of him when he felt that the cost outweighed the benefits. He is not worth $12.5M guaranteed and is back in NE at about half that cost.

6. As a Miami fan, I have been saying it for 2 years. I don’t care for Flores, I think he is in over his head and time will prove me correct. Has made VERY questionable personnel decisions. Will be the latest from the BB tree to fail.

7. I kind of understand his position, he played through injuries, left everything on the football field……and then Flores cuts him. I understand he really wanted to stay in Miami.

8. Be interesting to hear what he says after BB cuts him in 11 months. He is angry he could only get 2 years 12 Mil on a new deal. Proves Coach Flo was right to cut him he was over paid. Rather Flo admit a mistake then throw more money away.

9. This guy has been collecting frequent flyer miles. He’d probably like to stay in one place for at least a little while, and he’d probably kiss a little butt if he thought that would help.

10. Toe the line play the game like you did before you left and all will be good in Patriot land for you.

11. I do wonder what the heck happened for there to be so much animosity between the 2 parties. Obviously it’s not just Kyle that is sour grapes about it. Flores seems to be doing a good job in Miami but there’s just -something- about him that’s just a little bit off, as referenced by letting Fitz and Van Noy go, even though he coached him in New England and then took him when they gave him keys to a franchise….

12. Both coaches had Brady at one point making them look good. We saw last year which one is better on their own. Flores > BB.

13. It appears Flores was super impressive with Van Knoy as well. Kyle don’t be surprised if things are, how should I put this…… different (should I’ve gone to Tampa if you were looking for the good times)

14. People act like Belichick is training coaches to be head coaches, and then they’re graduating from his school, and then failing. These assistant coaches are simply using their time WITH Belichick to further their own careers, and just because they worked for Bill doesn’t mean they’re his pupils. I watched Roger Clemens pitch in his prime, but that doesn’t make me a pitcher

15. KVN got too expensive for his production so the coach cut him. BB would do the same if he’s not half the salary. Flores is right on program.

16. shaquilleoatmeal says:
    March 25, 2021 at 7:58 am
    No surprise here. Super bowl winning coach vs. Flores.
    ————————————————
    Not really. Flores has 3 super bowl rings or in Bostonian ape language: Flores has one more ring as an assistant than Belicheck does

17. And if this year doesn’t go well wherever he lands next year will be great and he’ll be dumping on the Pats again. And “the Patriot Way” isn’t going to be appealing if they don’t right the ship. It’ll go from “what works” to “a really annoying way to lose” in record time.

18. The greatest, if not the greatest coach in the game is paying Van Noy a hell of a lot less than the coach in Miami. BB surely see what the Dolphins defense is doing on his own – without any assistance from Van Noy.

19. He simply was a mediocre player here for the money they were paying him. Van Ginkel made way more plays than him and was in for half the snaps. Just more Patriots fluff and the fake Patriot way! There is no Patriot way without Tom Brady! So keep whining!

20. Miami got the same production from VanNoy that NE got from him the year before. Were they expecting a huge increase in numbers?

Miami overpaid the guy. Thats Miamis fault.

21. He could have just said that he liked playing for Flores and left it at that. Don’t be a distraction KVN!

22. shaquilleoatmeal says:
    March 25, 2021 at 7:58 am
    No surprise here. Super bowl winning coach vs. Flores.

58 86 Rate This

I will go on record right now and say he will never win another Super Bowl before he retires.

23. PFTSelectiveCensorship says:
    March 25, 2021 at 8:05 am

~~~

The whole Miami front office is in over their heads. Two winning seasons in ten years with one of them coming last year. If Flores can get another winning season out of that team he will be the first Miami HC since Wannstedt to have at least two.

24. Dolphins made a business decision deciding he wasn’t worth what he was getting paid and KVN is making it into something personal. Love the guy but I just lost some respect for him. Should never make it personal. JMHO.

25. KVN sounds childish with his “no comment” nonsense. Business is business. Miami basically signed him to a deal that gave him a nice payday for year one with a chance to prove he could elevate his game to what Flores thought his potential could be. KVN didn’t. Same pedestrian stats he showed in NE. Van Ginkel did what he did in half the snaps. Miami took a chance on potential, but structured his deal in a way that made cutting him after year 1 virtually painless. Be glad you got paid handsomely for one season where you were banged up and produced the same as a 2nd year 5th round draft pick. Cry baby.

26. Brian Flores does not make personnel decisions down in Miami.

On another note, those of you who choose to take the time out to make negative comments about a team you ‘don’t care about’ really need to find a couple of hobbies, or a job or something; anything, really, to give your life some actual meaning.

You sad sad trollers are just caught up in the machine and you have no idea how to get out because you’re all a bunch of mindless fearful followers. #2021

27. I mean the majority of you don’t even read the articles you just scroll down to comment on the header so how is that a football fan as opposed to just some random internet troll? Please someone tell me, it’s not rhetorical. If you want to spam and hate go over to Reddit or something if you wanna talk about football stay here. I come here for news, analysis, and actual football fan comments

28. BB will reenroll him in his rehabilitation program; first remedial – shutup and play.

29. @ruffbufffire

Jonny Boy,
    When that ridiculous prediction doesn’t even come close to reality get ready for the avalanche of crow that will be headed your way. Yeah we know you are trolling, but I love making trolls eat crow. There will be no hiding.

30. @PFTSelectiveCensorship

When you are proven wrong we expect you to return to this page and write a formal apology.

31. He was a cap casualty. The cap is low this year. My thought is that Coach Flo probably would’ve loved to keep him but Grier needed to free up cap space to help the Offense.

32. cancerman2020 says:
    March 25, 2021 at 12:05 pm

Miami overpaid the guy. Thats Miamis fault.

35 4 Rate This

—————-

Exactly. And, what’s funny

I have a sneaking suspicion Van Noy was one of the guys who maybe felt Tua doesn’ t have what it takes, hence maybe why this move was made as well.

Grier overpaid every FA last year by 4 mil per and Van Noy was by far the best of them. Ereck Flowers? Byron Jones? I mean, look at the overrated talent they brought in and then how much they overpaid in total.

Flowers, Jones, etc would never be Patriots. I mean, Flowers was a Giants bust for the ages. Grier is just awful. Top 5 bottom GM.

BB just rope-a-doped Grier and Flores. He probably did it again by keeping Andrews, White and taking Godchaux.

BB buys on the way up, other teams buy on the way down like fools.

33. uberstcrew says:
    March 25, 2021 at 2:59 pm
    @PFTSelectiveCensorship

2 0 Rate This

——————

That guy is one of the clueless Pats trolls constantly showcasing his/her jealousy.

It’s hilarious how they don’t get the pandemic season was their best chance.

34. biggs13 says:
    March 25, 2021 at 4:29 pm
    Are these the same Pats fans that said he was washed up last year?

0 1 Rate This

—————

Umm, no one said that just like every other lie you idiots spew.

What’s funny to me is this:

Only when a Pats player leaves NE are they any good. When they are key cogs on top 5 offenses or defenses, magically they don’t make “pro bowls” or aren’t any good and it’s magically all Brady playing all the positions.

BB acquired Van Noy, coached em up and like I said was the afcms best all around 3-4 OLB for years, yet no one said a word.

I’ll let you know when a player is past their prime in NE. Van Noy isn’t there yet.

Thanks.

35. Eventually everyone who plays for coach Belichick come back to say how great he is. Some take longer than others but he is consistent in his coaching. The GM in him sometimes misses but thats the gambling side of the game. I hope he can figure a way to not have Cam Newton as the starter. He did everything last year that got half a dozen running backs cutbut not him I don’t get it.

36. No team was going to pay him what he thinks he’s worth.

He got outplayed by a young kid and he is sour!!