Expanded single-digit numbers could be very good for business

San Francisco 49ers v Arizona Cardinals
Getty Images

With Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts changing his number from 2 to 1, an uptick in sales of the second-year quarterback’s jersey surely is coming. (The new jerseys aren’t yet on the team’s online store; however, the price for the remaining inventory of No. 2 has dropped from $119.99 to $59.99. Which is about $58.99 too high.)

It’s a precursor to the avalanche of purchases that will be made if/when single-digit numbers become open season for running backs, receivers, tight ends, linebackers, and defensive backs. And that will be very good for the NFL’s business.

It won’t be good for those who purchased at full price jerseys with the players’ prior numbers, and it also will create a stockpile of obsolete product, for multiple players on every team.

At one point, the NFL required players who changed numbers to pay for the unsold jerseys. Given the potential sales sparked by the latest potential efforts of the No Fun League to change its ways, they should just write off the losses from the jerseys with the old numbers — and get ready to start counting the money coming from the sales of jerseys with the new numbers.

36 responses to “Expanded single-digit numbers could be very good for business

1. I’m all for single digit numbers for running backs, cornerbacks, and receivers. Single digit numbers for linebackers and tight ends is kinda silly.

Speaking of numbers, I dont like some of the wacky numbers in the NBA and MLB. I like the HS and college no number higher than the last number being 5. 99 and 77 in baseball is kinda silly and numbers like that. In baseball no number higher than 49 should be allowed.

2. No wonder Brady’s jersey is number one seller. The guy is committed to the number 12!

3. They could offer a discount if you trade in the player’s prior jersey/number… Im not sure what the logistics would be on that as far as online orders, may have to be an in-store only kinda deal… But it would seem like a good will effort by the big bad NFL. The NFL could then donate the traded in jerseys to the Salvation Army- some people out there won’t mind wearing the old number. People still wore Kobe’s 8 after he switched.

4. Donate the “old” jersies to homeless shelters…oh wait there’s no $$$ in that. What was I thinking?

5. chickensalad43 says:
    April 3, 2021 at 1:09 pm
    Honestly never understood the jersey number restriction in football.

——-

6. I never undeservedly the joy of having another man’s name on my back, but whatever works for you.

7. April 3, 2021 at 1:09 pm
    Honestly never understood the jersey number restriction in football.

——-

I have never understood why a man would want to wear another man’s name on his back.

——–

This take has always seemed stupid to me. Draw the line at names but another person’s band, a team owned by another person, or a business logo owned by another person is cool? What about a shirt designed by another person? Just a dumb take to sound like you have more pride in your name than other fans?

8. howboutthemcowboys2020 says:
    April 3, 2021 at 12:57 pm

—————–====================—————-

The trend for high baseball numbers began when bringing up players from the minor leagues, there weren’t enough lower numbers available to give them so they kept the numbers they had while in the minors. Also, a lot of players liked wearing the higher numbers so they wanted to keep them.

9. nite2al says:
    April 3, 2021 at 2:11 pm
    I never understood the joy of having another man’s name on my back.

*****************

Yeah well, you’ve probably gone most of your life with a man’s name (Levi Strauss) on your butt. So there’s that.

10. The numbered jerseys are only critical to the restrictions on where the player on the offensive line lines up & is eligible to go downfield/pass catch. Opening up single digits does not interfere with that, so go right ahead. More $, more $!!

11. I say players get the option of changing numbers after earning it on the field: Mike Vrabel can switch to a number in the 80s or 40s because he caught a TD as TE; Mike Furrey can wear a WR or DB number; Antwaan Randle El can have that coveted single digit. etc. We get to keep the quick ID aspect of numbers by position group but it creates a fun new competitive incentive for players

12. I don’t understand why some people are against this. Who cares what the number is. If a LB wear’s #1 will the game not be as enjoyable?

I like it so maybe teams can make a number special for a player like they do in college rather than retiring a number make it an honor to wear that particular one for a franchise.

13. Wait, its all about the money? Here I thought the NFL was a charity and not a business. I think the only take weaker than “it’s about the money” is “they shouldn’t be able to wear whatever number they want”. Like who cares? Every long standing tradition was once something new. Also, it makes literally zero difference. Doesn’t change a thing.

14. Ridiculous. There’s a good reason why certain positions are allowed certain numbers. Why change it? What does it accomplish? NOTHING. Leave the freakin game alone. It’s almost like the NFL is trying to ruin their product.

15. Offense from 1 to 49 defense from 50 to 99, trenches 31 to 79 and be the end of it
    As a fan we want to be able to recognize position

16. Player: Thanks for buying my overpriced jersey, which I’ve made obsolete by changing numbers. Now you can buy my new overpriced jersey. You’re welcome.

17. We don’t even know what a catch is anymore and they’re talking about the numbers on the jerseys?

18. nite2al says:
    April 3, 2021 at 2:10 pm
    I never undeservedly the joy of having another man’s name on my back, but whatever works for you.================================================================================

I never undeservedly how anyone can hit “post comment” without knowing what he wrote but whatever works for you.

19. I’m certainly not going to rush right out and re-bye a player’s jersey just because they changed his number

20. Soccer teams in Europe change their jerseys ever year. Fans line up to buy them. If you don’t want to spend money on it then don’t. Me personally think they should wear whatever number they want.

21. If the NFL really wanted to maximize profits, and think outside the box, they should allow players whose names are those of animals, objects etc. to wear a picture of them instead of numbers ( i.e: Rock, Bull, Wolf, Ball, Lake, Harley, Fox and so on…)

22. The current number system helps coaches because they can see personnel changes on the fly and know they’re looking at a base defense vs an extra DB, 11 personnel or 4 wideouts etc… There’s a reason for it and I don’t see why it should be changed.

23. I don’t think it would result in more jersey sales. I think it will kill jersey sales. If I bought my kid a jersey of his favorite player, and then he changed his number, I’d never buy another jersey. If you think a player might change his number, you might hold off and see what the new number is. But then you’d know that if you did buy a jersey, the guy could change his number again. At some point, you might say these guys are just being greedy, and nobody likes that. A player’s number means something. If I’m buying a throw back jersey of Lance Alworth, it’s going to have the number 19 on it. Dick Butkus is only going to have 51. Bart Starr 15. If there is more than one number, I’d think a lot of people will just say no thanks. Let me find a guy who only wore one number. The guy that just won 7 super bowls is TB12, not TB9.

24. BuckyBadger says:
    April 3, 2021 at 3:31 pm

===============

That just shows you never understood the purpose of numbering in the first place. It’s not about making the game fun, it’s about identifying position groups at a glance.