Tom Brady rookie card goes for $2.25 million

Super Bowl LV
Getty Images

Tom Brady is good for business, in many ways.

In the old-school, non-NFT football card business, Brady has broken records twice in recent weeks.

After one of his rookie cards sold at auction for $1.32 million, another Brady rookie card has sold for $2.25 million at auction.

The bidding began at $75,000, and 67 total bids were placed.

Those cards likely will only go up in value as Brady keeps playing — especially if he wins another Super or plays past his 45th birthday or (who knows?) plays until he’s 50.

24 responses to “Tom Brady rookie card goes for $2.25 million

1. I have boxes full of old football cards I haven’t looked at in years. I might start digging through them and see who’s in there.

2. Meanwhile, Eli is out back rubbing brand new jerseys in the grass

3. I love Tom Brady, the greatest QB of all time, undisputed GOAT.

But old geezer that I am, I still agree with Hog Hannah, the GOAT Offensive Guard of all time:

All QBs wear dresses.

Even more so today with the softened rules. QBs get way too much credit while the other 10 players on offense, 11 players on defense and 11 players on special teams never get nearly enough.

4. Send 50 kids to 4 years of college or own a piece of paper with a picture of a dude on it? Nice priorities.

5. They’re photographs with statistics on the back
    . —————
    At least those stats are not made up like yours. Like you do not own every BB card that ever came out…

6. It may be cardboard with a picture on it but the money you use to buy it is made of the same thing. Paper. Cards are a better investment today than gold and silver, If you had a different attitude towards it back then you’d potentially be sitting on a couple million? Never know. If you have spare change sitting around its better it to be in the cardboard with sports faces on it then the paper with presidents on it.

7. seanpbeck says:
    April 3, 2021 at 1:03 pm

——-

I’m thinking if one can afford spending this amount in a football card that they already have their other priorities covered many times over.

8. nhpats2011 says:
    April 3, 2021 at 1:55 pm
    seanpbeck says:
    April 3, 2021 at 1:03 pm

——-

————

You’d be surprised.

9. I have 3 RGIII rookie cards, because every draft expert said he was a can’t miss, guaranteed, multiple Superbowl winning, sure fire Hall of Fame quarterback.. Now what?

10. weswelker83 says:
    April 3, 2021 at 12:20 pm
    I love Tom Brady, the greatest QB of all time, undisputed GOAT.

All QBs wear dresses.

—————————————————————————————
    You make it sound so easy to be a QB. If so, why aren’t there more with Brady’s stats…or even close for that matter. Brady must be doing something more than the others.

11. icouldcareless says:
    April 3, 2021 at 2:47 pm

You got to know when to hold them and fold em.

12. weswelker83 says:
    April 3, 2021 at 12:20 pm

All QBs wear dresses.

—————————————

It was actually Jack Lambert who said “Quarterbacks should wear dresses.”
    Why would John Hannah, who blocked for QB’s, diss them by making fun of them?

13. I’ll bet Brady bought his own card. The ego in that one is strong, grasshoppa.

14. Just waiting for Christie’s to call me about my Rick Mirer rookie card. Honey we hit the jackpot.

15. touchback6 says:
    April 3, 2021 at 10:10 am

They’re photographs with statistics on the back.

==========================

The Mona Lisa is canvas with some paint smeared on it.

16. I got a box full of old Los Angeles Raider game programs from the 80’s & 90’s until they left L.A.
    When you see them on E-Bay you’ll know it’s me.

17. I am a sports card dealer…. in 2013 I had a Tom Brady Contenders Autograph RC graded BGS 9 with a 10 auto grade (it’s the lesser or “base” version of the card sold here). Back in 2013 I bought it for $800 and sold it for $1250 later that year. Thought I did pretty well on it…. the last time I looked, that same card last sold for $87,300. This news will probably push it over $100 grand. Not sure if I did as well as I thought I did lol.

18. $2.25 million could have fed thousands of hungry kids. What a waste.

19. $2.25 million could have fed thousands of hungry kids. What a waste.

——

It will feed a lot of kids. The person who consigned this will have to pay income taxes on the sale… the auction house has to pay taxes on the commission… and about 400 grand or so just went to Uncle Sam. To those saying sports memorabilia is a waste, you kinda confuse me. Do you think art is pointless? Is Football in general pointless? I wonder if these people buy tickets to games? Jersey’s of their favorite players? Couldn’t all that cash be used in a food back or something?