Former NFL player Phillip Adams kills five, then himself

San Francisco 49ers 2011 Headshots
Getty Images

Philip Adams, a former NFL defensive back who played for the 49ers, Patriots, Seahawks, Raiders, Jets, and Falcons, shot and killed five people on Wednesday and then committed suicide.

Via the Associated Press, Adams killed Dr. Robert Lesslie, his wife Barbara, two of their young grandchildren (Adah and Noah), and James Lewis.

A sixth person has been hospitalized with “serious gunshot wounds,” per the report.

Adams killed himself after midnight with a .45 caliber handgun.

The shootings occurred in Rock Hill, South Carolina, where Dr. Lesslie had been practicing medicine since 1981.

A seventh-round pick of the 49ers in 2010, Adams was a Rock Hill native who played college football at South Carolina State. He appeared in 78 total NFL regular-season games.

101 responses to “Former NFL player Phillip Adams kills five, then himself

1. Another mass shooting, but there are people who will never give up their adult toys. Weapons of war are not toys. They do not belong in a civilized society.

2. Oh my god.

Not to start a whole thing but it’s a fact that mass shootings like this don’t happen in other developed countries.

It might have to do with concussions. It might have to do with mental illness. In the end, his motivations don’t matter. The easy availability of guns in America means that anybody who wants to kill a lot of people will soon be able to.

3. Mental health issues are a serious problem in this country. The United States needs to bring back the mental health institutions.

4. I commented just the other day that it’s been a bad week for football fans, and it didn’t seem like it could get any worse, but it just did… Condolences to those who lost loved ones.. This is horrible

5. What a tragedy, I won’t say thought and prayers because that’s such an empty saying…people rarely offer prayers for or include those people who they say thoughts and prayers about in their prayers. I will say that for everyone involved in this tragic event I hope they can find comfort in whatever belief system they follow and in their family.

This man clearly had some mental health and or emotional issues. CTE needs to be looked at via autopsy.

6. While I will not be so foolish as to try to make sense of the senseless, I will point out that the easy availability of a gun, the nearness to a deranged man of a powerful instrument of death, allowed this unspeakable tragedy to occur.

7. AOC is glad Al Gore invented football and discovered Mexico says:
    April 8, 2021 at 10:37 am

What would that have done here? I’ve not seen anything indicating Adams was ever diagnosed with anything that would’ve ever had him institutionalized to begin with, so have state- or federally-run institutions wouldn’t have done anything in this case.

Mental health issues are real, but for cases where someone’s never been diagnosed, they’re not going to prevent these types of events. And the solution to mental health problems isn’t to hide people away so that society doesn’t have to deal with them.

8. Mental health is a problem….and so is making it easy for people mental health issues to commit mass murder.

9. I live in SC. I heard about this just before it hit the national news. According to the AP story Adams’ parents live near the doctor’s home in Rock Hill, SC and he had been treated by the doctor. Apparently, James Lewis was doing work at the house and had the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. When you hear stories like this you can’t help but wonder if this is a CTE related incident.

10. Once again, every single country has to deal with mental health problems. The reason America has so much gun violence is because its legal for nearly anybody to buy a gun here.

11. Mental health continues to be the “elephant in the room.” Most people don’t want to talk about it, or don’t accept it as an illness. We may feel comfortable saying so and so was hospitalized because of kidney stones. Someone being hospitalized because of a psychiatric condition? Whispers, silence… Funding for mental health services? It’s embarrassing, or should be seen as such.

12. Horrible story all around. Horrible for that doctor and his wife, horrible for the children, horrible for the man who sounds like he was just working there (Lewis). Who knows what the hell Adams was dealing with that would’ve driven him to do this.

As I’ve gotten older, I find it more and more amazing how this country continues to be in complete denial over the origins of these events. These types of things happen almost daily and people just keep their heads in the sand.

13. The most dangerous minds will kill with nothing, mental health is the only true killer. Until we as a country take steps to help the mentally ill we might as well ban spoons.

14. If plane crashes were occurring daily, would congress idly sit by and continue to NOT address the root cause? The root cause of America’s gun violence is spelled out brilliantly in this thread. It’s insanity

15. We’ll find out soon enough motive, mental capacity, etc., but at what point do this country’s leaders actually take steps against gun violence? And spare me your party’s rhetoric, left or right. The facts speak for themselves. When stricter gun laws are in place, there are far fewer of these tragedies.

16. Absolutely horrific.

The Doctor’s grandchildren were 5 and 9 years old.

Hard to comprehend something like this.

17. This is horrifically tragic. After Sandy Hook and politicians doing nothing but paying lip service to a national tragedy and not taking any meaningful action or passing legislation, I’m convinced, we as a nation, have basically decided we are accepting of preventable mass shootings as long as we have unfettered access to all the guns our hearts desire. How can these occur every single week and enough people look the other way when it might mean passing just SOME sensible restrictions on firearms? I’m disgusted that we have allowed out once great country to become what it has. We should be ashamed this is even a debate. I said what I said.

18. More senseless violence and again more people blame the means of how violence is carried out instead of the actual problem. My heart goes out to the families of those involved.

19. It will be interesting to see how many warning signs he exhibited on either social media or personal interactions. Usually there is a pattern of behavior that arises before someone finally snaps. But still almost impossible to stop.

20. Another tragic case of CTE I’m sure. You can’t disregard brain trauma, it is what controls the body attached to it. It can lead to all these horrible outcomes that we continue to see. The NFL is going to have to deal with it soon.

21. jdreed68 says:
    April 8, 2021 at 11:31 am

38 16 Rate This
    ——

If mental illness is the problem, why would you make it easy for the problem to get their hands on guns? The two concerns are not mutually exclusive in these times, no matter how many people want to separate them completely.

22. it’s a matter of guns being a “force multiplier”

Person with a knife: can attack individual at a time
    Person with a gun: can attack numbers
    Person with a semi-automatic: can attack thousands

Guns are the problem with gun violence
    You want to reduce deaths from shootings?
    Reduce guns.

23. It’s possible we need more help for the mentally ill AND laws to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill. I love guns as much as the next person but it should cause the mass panic to suggest guns shouldn’t be given to unstable people. We don’t sell guns to children so why should we sell guns to people without the mental capabilities to use them safely?

24. 5tarl0rd says:
    April 8, 2021 at 11:21 am

**************************************************************************

The ratio of upvotes to downvotes tells you why country leadership won’t address the problem. After decades of political lobbying, messaging, and fear mongering, many have been completely brainwashed on this topic, which essentially renders no room for discussion on the issue.

25. Well if this is CTE … NFL down through little league football should be shut down , it’s non essential and apparently very dangerous. Have the non essentials become essential… I hear hourly wages may start at 15 bucks an hour . Hitting heads together at a high rate of speed sounds pretty dumb when you think about it . But we all know it wasn’t CTE , it was the guns fault.

26. If guns were banned he would have used a knife. If knives were banned he would have used a baseball bat. If bats were banned he would have used a poison. If poison were banned… See where this is going? People who kill are going to find a way stop blaming guns for the decisions people make

27. Yes let’s use this tragic event to push taking away guns from law abiding citizens. And I also love how all these people propose new gun laws but don’t state what kind of law and how they would actually prevent situations like this

28. I’m pro 2nd amendment and I’m all for gun control. Ie mental health background checks, no need for military style assault weapons, no need for bump stocks, ghost guns, 3D gun making boxes that can machine plastic or metal guns etc. BUT, please be serious, that is never going to stop crap like this from happening. Dude could of legally purchased the gun years ago and then while depressed one day does this. Same can be said for all lunatics out there as well. While we can maybe decrease the odds of mass shootings taking place, we will never stop them. People are the problem, not guns.

29. If they banned the sale of guns today, it wouldn’t stop death by guns at all. There are millions of guns already out there and buying one is as easy as showing up in a big city and making it known you want one and have the cash to pay for it.
    That’s the truth that the anti-gun people don’t think about.
    Cars kill more people than guns. Should we outlaw cars, then?
    History shows us what happened when alcohol was banned. The legitimate suppliers closed down and bad people produced it illegally and it was just as readily available. The same thing will happen with guns.
    I do not own a gun but I fully support the right of law abiding citizens to own them, as our Constitution gives them the right to do.

30. magnusthe1st says:
    April 8, 2021 at 11:27 am

—————
    Look up the numbers on how many people are killed in jurisdictions with strict gun laws vs all other mass shootings. It’s not even close.

31. ultimatefrisbee88 says:
    April 8, 2021 at 10:35 am
    Oh my god.

————————————————————————————————–
    You are completely wrong, Norway has 21 times the number of people die per capita from mass shootings than the US. Last time I checked Norway was a developed country. In fact there are 10 countries ahead of the US, all from Europe, that have more people die from mass shootings than the US per capita.

32. formerlyflaccodelic says:

Exactly, They should make it illegal for a mentially Ill person to own a firearm.
    Oh….right….It’s already illegal.

33. Obesity kills far more people than gun violence, but nobody wants to outlaw Little Debbie.

34. snowdood163 says:
    April 8, 2021 at 1:13 pm

magnusthe1st says:
    April 8, 2021 at 11:27 am

—————

——————

you;re right snowdood, its not even close.

Here are the top 10 states:
    Alabama (AL) 21.5 1,046
    Alaska (AK) 23.3 177
    Arizona (AZ) 5 1,094
    Arkansas (AR) 17.8 541
    California (CA) 7.9 3,184
    Colorado (CO) 14.3 812
    Connecticut (CT) 4.6 172
    Delaware (DE) 11 111
    Florida (FL) 12.6 2,704
    Georgia (GA) 15 1,571

That’s per Wikipedia.

35. This is a combination of mental health and access to weapons.

I also would absolutely classify myself as a liberal rather than a conservative if I was forced to do so.

And before people go crazy on me- I am lifelong hunter and participant in the shooting sports. I own dozens of firearms including handguns , rifles, shotguns, and weapons that would be popularly classified as “assault weapons.” I hold a concealed carry permit, and I 100% believe that the second ammendment gives me the right to own the weapons I do.

With that being said , anyone who doesn’t think that some weapons should be harder to get are completely insane.

So my state or Michigan has pretty balanced gun laws but there are some holes in the system. You have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a licensed dealer, and 18 for a rifle. Either one of these purchases requires a background check. From a private seller, you can buy any gun at 18, and only a handgun requires a background check. Purchases from a dealer have the sale tracked by the ATF, but only a handgun requires additional registration. From a private seller, no rifles need to be tracked or registered and there is literally no paper trail. Legally speaking- the private seller doesn’t even have to check your ID for ANY sale of a rifle – including something like an AR-15.

So this really happened- I found an ar-15 for sale online, and I met the guy in a parking lot. Exchanged cash for a rifle in the trunk of his car. HE WAS RESPONSIBLE and we filled out paperwork that we didn’t have to do, and he checked my ID also also wouldn’t sell it to me unless I produced background check info that I had done, or had a concealed weapons permit as that shows you are legal. I refused to do business with anyone who didn’t do that.

But nothing required him to do that. It was perfectly legal for him to just hand Me an ar-15 for a stack or cash without even getting my name..

Anyone who doesn’t see an issue with that is insane.

Again, I fully believe that the 2a provides the right to own weapons, but it also says well regulated. The time is long passed to make reasonable regulations.

36. feadshipman says:
    April 8, 2021 at 1:14 pm

ultimatefrisbee88 says:
    April 8, 2021 at 10:35 am
    Oh my god.

————————————————————————————————–

———————————–

Please point to a source. According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate)

US 12.21 deaths per 100,000
    Norway 1.48

37. This is an argument that will never be solved. The reality is our right to bear arms, our second amendment is sacred. We don’t say it, but with that right, we accept that there will be stories like this that will happen. We also don’t say it, but realize that solving the problem (i.e., fixing people as they are the problem) is not going to happen. Many wars and battles have been fought to guarantee us the second amendment. The deaths that happen are the sacrifice we make as a country to uphold it. As long as its not in my backyard, I’m not going to worry about it.

38. Actually mass shootings happen every single day, by the definition. We only seem to really care about it when a rifle is involved or it happens in a suburban or otherwise affluent area. This is why I’ll never take anti-gun people seriously.

39. The people saying that mental illness is the issue have no concept about what mental illness really is and do not care about those people suffering from mental illness. All they are doing is disingenuously using the mental illness talking point to bolster their position for unfettered access to guns.

The gun supporters do not care whether mentally ill people have access to guns. Nor do they care about how many people are killed in mass shootings.

40. joe white says:
    April 8, 2021 at 11:14 am
    ____________________________________________

You really think this guy would’ve killed everyone and himself if he only had a spoon?
    Or are you saying if he had a 20 round clip of spoons?

41. alifornianewton says:
    April 8, 2021 at 10:24 am

———————————

remember that when someone WITH A GUN saves your unarmed butt.

42. you;re right snowdood, its not even close.

Here are the top 10 states:
    Alabama (AL) 21.5 1,046
    Alaska (AK) 23.3 177
    Arizona (AZ) 5 1,094
    Arkansas (AR) 17.8 541
    California (CA) 7.9 3,184
    Colorado (CO) 14.3 812
    Connecticut (CT) 4.6 172
    Delaware (DE) 11 111
    Florida (FL) 12.6 2,704
    Georgia (GA) 15 1,571

That’s per Wikipedia.

—————-sorry, the numbers moved as I was trying to copy and paste. my bad. Here are the listed top-10 states in gun deaths per capita:

Alaska (AK) 23.3 177
    Alabama (AL) 21.5 1,046
    Louisiana (LA) 21.3 987
    Mississippi (MS) 19.9 587
    Oklahoma (OK) 19.6 766
    Missouri (MO) 19 1,144
    Montana (MT) 18.9 194
    New Mexico (NM) 18.1 383
    Arkansas (AR) 17.8 541
    South Carolina (SC) 17.7 891

That’s per Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_death_rates_in_the_United_States_by_state)

From my understanding, these states have the loosest gun restrictions. It could just be a coincidence.

43. Guess who signed an executive order written by the NRA the first day he took office reversing the law to ban mentally ill people from getting guns. Some claim the first law was too far reaching, but the party NEVER tried to fix what they claimed was “broken”. Nope, now any mentally ill person can get a gun and on the same day in most states thanks to the NRA

44. snowdood163 says:
    April 8, 2021 at 1:13 pm

*******************************************************************************

If you’re arguing that jurisdictions with stricter laws have more gun-related killings, not a great way to do it.

Jurisdictions with strict gun laws are more highly and densely populated. Look at gun death rates (i.e., firearm deaths per 100,000) and the picture flips. States with lax gun laws (e.g., Alaska, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Montana) have the highest gun death rates in the country; states with the most stringent laws are among the lowest (e.g., Hawaii, NY, Massachusetts, Rhode Island). Look it up on your own; the data are readily available.

45. magnusthe1st says:
    April 8, 2021 at 11:27 am

Yet where is the outrage when daily killings happen in Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit ect, it may not be 5 people at once, but after 1 week or so there is an average of 40 dead and 80 injured in those 3 cities, look it up. Guns are not the problem, evil people are and I would rather choose to be a Victim because I am armed to the teeth, than to have no choice at all and leave my life in the hands of a criminal who is armed. It’s really as simple as that.

46. fissilemissile says:
    April 8, 2021 at 1:37 pm
    joe white says:
    April 8, 2021 at 11:14 am
    ____________________________________________

Or are you saying if he had a 20 round clip of spoons?

0 2 Rate This
    ———

It is a magazine, not a clip. Hard for me to make a conjecture about how deadly an semi-automatic spoon may or may not be if you don’t know the correct terminology.

47. A terrible tragedy, no doubt.

They can pass all the laws they want, it will not stop gun violence. We don’t know for a fact that this man was mentally ill. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn’t. But, if he had visible signs of mental illness, why didn’t his family do something about it? I’m not going into all the questions they ask when purchasing a firearm, but one question is “Have you ever been adjudicated as a mental defective OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution?” So, that is checked. Sure, you can lie about it, but you will get caught in the lie. The issue is, if someone is up to no good, they can get a gun very easily, with no checks whatsoever…Until they solve that problem, which will never happen, the cycle will continue.

48. remember that when someone WITH A GUN saves your unarmed butt.

————

Has never happened. Probably never will. What’s more likely is that I will die from someone with a gun. #facts

49. As long as its not in my backyard, I’m not going to worry about it.

——————-

Hope it doesn’t kill you or a loved one. You’ve obviously taken all of the precautions.

50. Do you even know why are founding fathers made the right to bear arms the SECOND thing on our nation’s cornerstone document? It was so that every citizen would have the ability to protect themselves from ANY threat including their own government. No you can’t take that right away no matter how many laws you create. No gun ever loaded itself and took a life

51. I would rather choose to be a Victim because I am armed to the teeth

——————–

Are you armed to the teeth everywhere you go? In the toilet? At work? In Walmart?

Or are you just making things up…?

52. “If plane crashes were occurring daily, would congress idly sit by and continue to NOT address the root cause? The root cause of America’s gun violence is spelled out brilliantly in this thread. It’s insanity”

=====================

So you think we should ban planes because Boeing had several mishaps?

53. If guns were banned he would have used a car. I am ok with allowing forfeiture of hippa to do an adequate background check on mental illness and current medications. But blindly taking away the right to bare arms is a slippery slope that quickly would result in several other rights being taken away.

54. From 2005 to 2015, gun ownership/purchases went up 53%……gun crimes went down 49%…..facts are pesky.

55. The guns are already out there, so let’s give up on fixing the problem? Ridiculous. The second amendment gives a right to bear arms but not every weapon you could imagine. The second amendment also calls for “well regulated.” A start might be taxing ammunition at a higher rate. Some have proposed $100/round for automatic/semi-automatic ammunition. That might make an impact.

56. So, next time a psycho runs a car up on a crowded sidewalk and kills 25 people, logical step is to give every car owner an evaluation? So what do you do for a guy that STEALS a car and does it?

57. As a hunter and NRA member, I’ve got zero problem with background checks, nixing gun ownership for those with severe mental illness or subject to protective orders, limiting non-registered private gun sales, banning extended magazines and bump stocks. I also don’t own an assault weapon nor see the need for one, but don’t take away my semi-auto shotgun. This mental illness excuse is only half of the story — make it harder for mentally ill or others to get guns, don’t give them or others the right to kill more easily with extended mags and bump stocks. It’s not hard to compromise, which is one reason I’m exiting the NRA.

58. eaglesfan77511 says:
    April 8, 2021 at 1:39 pm
    alifornianewton says:
    April 8, 2021 at 10:24 am

———————————

remember that when someone WITH A GUN saves your unarmed butt.
    ________________________________________________________________

That’s a statistical fallacy. People are rarely saved by other people with a gun before they hurt people. The exception is when the police learn of a plot by a man with a lot of weaponry and take him down. But the cops are not deft to every plot. That’s why we still have Nevada casino shooting, Parkland, the lot of them. Because guns are so prevalent we don’t need more. We need less because the same people who advocate for more are also NOT for more policing, infact the whole right wing party is for less goverment.

59. obesewantcannoli says:
    April 8, 2021 at 2:11 pm

So you think we should ban planes because Boeing had several mishaps?

**********************************************************************

Are mishaps leading to Boeing plane crashes occurring on an almost daily basis? Do you know how many Americans die in plane crashes each year?

If Boeing plane crashes were occurring on a near-daily basis and leading to tens of thousands of American deaths each year, you’d see crazy regulation on the aviation industry (not to mention the industry would grind to a halt due to sales plummeting due to lack of consumer confidencee).

60. We don’t need more gun laws we need the right gun laws. The NRA and the government need to work together from a clean sheet and decide how to allow responsible Americans, sportsmen and homeowners a mechanism to buy, sell and own appropriate guns and peripherals. More and more laws lead to more and more resistance and more paranoia. But truthfully I am uncomfortable politicizing this. A tragedy happened leaving several dead and God knows how many others whose lives will never be the same. Everything else needs to take a back seat while people grieve and pray and feel thankful it wasn’t us. Maybe in a few days when all the facts are out there will be some key learnings. Otherwise they died in vain.

61. numbers & mmmpierogi, it’s estimated (and it has to be estimated due to unsolved crimes) that around 70% of gun deaths are gang related. That generally happens in areas like DC and Chicago, two cities known for having the most strict gun laws. Let’s throw New York in there as well. Also California, the most strict gun control state, has three cities in the top 12 for violent crime per 100k. Regarding the cities in CA is that because gun control doesn’t work, or does that mean that violent people will still be violent even if there is gun control?

62. obesewantcannoli says:

=====================

So you think we should ban planes because Boeing had several mishaps?

_______________

Boeing did have several mishaps. And do you know what the feds did? They grounded all 737 Max Jets until they could prove they were safe for flight. Most reasonable people aren’t calling to ban all firearms outright. But steps should be taken to address how they end up in the hands of dangerous and unstable individuals to prevent future tragedies.

63. I’m old enough to remember when the NRA focused on things like gun safety, proper registration and promoting gun responsibility. Now their main focus is making sure EVERYONE has the ability to purchase as many assault, mass killing weapons as they wish. Safety and easy access are no longer a concern.

64. americans love to cite their second amendment…guess what, when that was written the gins where muskets that took 10 minutes to load…if they could have seen the way the technology would have advanced there is no way they would have put that in there…i’m all for everyone of you havin a gun if it’s a gun from the 1700s…

65. snowdood163 says:
    April 8, 2021 at 2:40 pm

One can agree that gang violence is an issue while also agreeing that gun violence is an issue — they’re separate, but often related, problems. There are going to be other issues that play in, as well (e.g., mental health).

Going back to what I mentioned above, if this is all gang related, are you arguing that states like Arkansas, Alaska, Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, Montana, New Mexico, West Virginia, and Wyoming (all among the 15 highest states in firearm death rates) are flush with gang violence? Gangs might explain part of what’s going on in some of these, but in places like Alaska, Montana, West Virginia, and Wyoming — sorry, not buying it.

66. firstly this is so sad like most of these. I read the article hours ago and I don’t really know what to say. What I do know is that we live in a culture around the world that while it doesn’t come out and say it we celebrate violence. Our TV shows, movies, video games are all explicitly violent. We glorify it everywhere. Heck sports show the fights in highlights, MMA is huge everything we show our kids and teens is about death. We as a society have no light in us and no light to show.

Seriously go check all the top games, check all the top TV shows ( less the ladies ones ) all packed with Violence.

Until we start to value life at it’s beginning we won’t value it later on. Abortion is at an all time high, divorce, broken families, brokeness on every corner.

At what point in time to we stop blaming everyone and everything else. We are the problem. WE have no love in us only hate. WE don’t care about others, again. We have no value on life, and those that do have a tough time sharing it. Get the focus onto the light, love and family and watch people change.

67. Gun, car, knife, an RV filled with explosives.

If you are this bothered to go out and kill someone, or multiple, it doesn’t matter, they will find a way. There are multiple ways to the destination. Take one away, it would be a fools errand to try to solve world peace. It will not exist. Not in this life anyways

68. A blue sedan was used to kill one capital police officer and injure another last week. It was a weapon in the hands of a mentally unstable person. Should we call for bans on blue sedans?

Last year saw the highest recorded gun sales on record. Record numbers of CCW permits. People were afraid of the pandemic and the civil unrest. They wanted to protect themselves and their family. They felt being armed and (hopefully) trained was the right solution. That’s another reason deep cutting gun laws will not happen soon, too many people believe it’s how they can protect themselves.

Reading the comments here it’s the same point/counter point from both sides. That’s why the only changes that will ever be made are small ones like bump stocks, 80% guns, braces, raising age of rifle purchases, red flag laws. Things that most people can get behind. Going deeper into bans on so called military style weapons or high capacity magazines will not happen anytime soon.

69. Gun deaths don’t automatically mean homicides. This is a common misconception. Wyoming, New Hampshire, North Dakota, South Dakota, Idaho, Vermont, Montana, and Maine are all low crime states. Suicides are high in Alaska and Montana, and you won’t find that fact explained from these same statisticians.

70. First, as long as guns are legal in any state, criminals in all states will have them. Second, I am fine with any law that protects law-abiding adults having a gun if they so choose- stop with this crap of putting people in jail for weed and putting them on probation for having stolen/unregistered guns. Third, the biggest mass murder event in US history was accomplished with box cutters. Guns are convenient killing machines, but laying most of the blame for the violence of society on guns is a bit short-sighted.

71. mmmpierogi says:
    April 8, 2021 at 2:39 pm
    obesewantcannoli says:
    April 8, 2021 at 2:11 pm

So you think we should ban planes because Boeing had several mishaps?

**********************************************************************

—–

People are killed by automobiles on a daily basis. Should we ban automobiles?

72. To the “so you think we should ban cars/planes/etc. because they kill people?” argument, the answer is YES. If a particular model of car or plane continually injures and kills people, it WILL and SHOULD BE banned or redesigned so that it doesn’t. Does Ford still make the Pinto? Find a better argument.

As for constitutional amendments being sacred, just no. They weren’t considered important enough to be part of the primary document; they were add-ons, and as such are specifically NOT inherently sacred. Prohibition of alcohol was a constitutional amendment at one time. Then it was repealed. Again, find a better argument.

As a gun owner I’m not saying I want more/different gun laws. I’m saying the arguments most often used against them are stupid.

73. You want to reduce deaths from shootings?
    Reduce guns

Wrong. Do the opposite.
    An armed society is a polite society.

74. joshgordonsbong says:
    April 8, 2021 at 2:49 pm

**********************************************
    sigh another fallacy that people that do not know history or try to conflate one thing with another. First, since computers and the internet did not exist I guess freedom of speech and so forth should not include those mediums. Neither tv.

Secondly, semi-automatic firearms did exist back then, so go please do some research.

75. thewizardsrevenge says:
    April 8, 2021 at 3:57 pm
    You want to reduce deaths from shootings?
    Reduce guns

Wrong. Do the opposite.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Maybe get out from under your rock and see that your way of thinking is factually wrong. Your comment might be the dumbest comment ever typed on the internet.

76. I don’t think outlawing guns is a solution, but neither is arming everyone. Most people, including me, are not willing to carry a gun everywhere they go, including while inside their own home. The notion that an surprised homeowner with a gun in the drawer is going to beat a crazy psycho with a gun pointed at him is pretty foolish. Almost as silly as the idea of arming schoolteachers and airline pilots, but some of them feel safer that way, so good for them!

77. joshgordonsbong says:
    April 8, 2021 at 2:49 pm
    *******************************************************************************************
    Also as a follow up, if you have an issue with semi-automatics, the vast majority of firearm made today are semi-automatic. Nearly all pistols (outside of old western singe action revolvers), majority of rifles (outside of bolt action or single shot) and now many shotguns are semi-auto (pump actions are still relatively popular).

Guess cus of that you plan on proposing to ban ALL of those??

78. joshgordonsbong says:
    April 8, 2021 at 2:49 pm
    and to continue to point out how incorrect you are, a muzzle loader used during that time could be fired much quicker than your claim of 10 minutes. Typically get off about 3-4 shots per minute, perhaps more depending on how good/efficient you were.

79. dingo says:
    April 8, 2021 at 4:12 pm

—–

Criminals tend to no break into homes where they suspect people own guns…..like here in NH. Check out our crime rates. And gun ownership per capita is very high…..

80. Queue the hypocritical politicians expressing “thoughts and prayers” for the victims while taking loads of cash from the gun manufacturers and NRA and stone-walling every attempt to legislate sane gun control policies.

81. remember that when someone WITH A GUN saves your unarmed butt.

————

Not at all a fact. The CDC says over 1 million people are saved by guns in the US every year. It’s on their website. #RealFacts

82. This just doesn’t happen in any other civilised country in the world I wonder what might be driving it. Also largest gun ownership per capita in the world hmm. Get it together America.

83. californianewton says:
    April 8, 2021 at 10:24 am
    ——————————————————————————–
    We aren’t civilized and we are becoming less so. Get accustomed to it.

84. When is the government going to do something to address the mental health crisis in this country? People who are so severely mentally ill that they kill do not need to be allowed to walk among the rest of us. Until there is something done about the mental health crisis, these sorts of mass shootings will not stop. A person mentally ill enough to commit such heinous acts will not be deterred by laws.

85. nhpats2011 says:
    April 8, 2021 at 3:48 pm

People are killed by automobiles on a daily basis. Should we ban automobiles?

**************************************************************************

There it is – the word “ban.” I’ve never suggested a ban. This knee-jerk “you think guns should be banned” or “you’re trying to take away guns” stance stems from political fear-mongering and brainwashing.

Whether you admit it or not, guns are a fundamental part of the problem with violence in the US. Whether it’s violence stemming from mental health, domestic issues, bullying or intimidation, gang activity, motive-driven individual acts (e.g., revenge), random acts (e.g., road rage), you name it – a common theme is use of firearms to inflict harm. Go look at nation-level statistical comparisons of metrics like homicide-by-gun rates or gun ownership. The US is near or at the top and many Americans take almost a pride in it because of the strange culture in this country around firearms. Like any other tool, guns should be viewed as an means to ends (e.g., self protection, hunting for food) that are not at odds with others’ safety, not a symbol or label that you hang your identity on.

End of the day, these are complex issues and guns are far from the only cause, but any attempt to address this has to factor guns in or it’ll just keep happening.