No decision yet on reversal of one-helmet rule

Tony Collins carries the ball
Getty Images

Last year, the NFL acknowledged that the one-helmet rule could change in 2021. It still could.

Per a league spokesperson, there has been no resolution yet regarding the possibility that teams could be permitted to allow players to use more than one helmet during the course of a given season. That would give teams the ability to incorporate throwback uniforms with helmets of a different color than the base color of the helmet a given team uses.

Titans running back Derrick Henry recently argued for throwback helmets, and fans and players would surely love to do the same. Whether it’s the Oilers helmets (for the Titans), the Tampa Bay creamsicles, the white New England helmets, the plum-colored Packers throwbacks, the kelly green Eagles helmets, the yellow Steelers helmets (actually we could do without that one), and/or the Bengals adopting a white helmets to go with their all-white uniforms, it could enhance the viewing experience and sell plenty of merchandise.

50 responses to “No decision yet on reversal of one-helmet rule

1. I love how loser Goodell makes a mountain out of a molehill over any small thing, and this, the easiest of decisions, is like negotiating the Versailles Treaty.

2. If it’s a matter of helmet “tech” regarding concussions that’s one thing… but paint/color aesthetics alone… it’s asinine that is disallowed.

3. I’d love to see them do away with the 1 helmet rule but I dont know how you could say it would sell plenty of merchandise. Unlike jerseys, kids aren’t clamoring to wear a helmet.

4. Pat Patriot is one of the best logos in history. Would love to see the throw backs again.

5. touchback6 says:
    April 10, 2021 at 11:38 am
    —————————————————————————————–
    Roger Goodell is the mouthpiece of the 32 team owners. He doesn’t make policy/create rules. The number one function of his job is to be a public face for the team owners, especially when they make an unpopular decision. The only decisions he makes are for discipline matters and he’s openly said he doesn’t want to do it anymore.

6. Sunday Swami says:
    April 10, 2021 at 11:49 am
    ———————————————-
    You’re missing the point. Abolishing the one shell rule will allow for a plethora of throwback and alternate jerseys, and other merch. That stuff sells.

7. “This breaking news just in, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead!”
    — Chevy Chase

The league should be fully consistent — one pair of shoes and socks and laces, one athletic supporter, one mouth guard, one and ONLY ONE JERSEY of a SINGLE COLOR — no more home and away colors. If any of them are lost or wear out, then the player is placed on the “Equipment Reserve List” and effectively suspended for the season.

8. I love the base White Cowboys helmet with the solid blue stars… They would look sick with their white “Color Rush” jerseys.

9. What if the player doesn’t want to change out his helmet all the time? All fine and dandy for the players that don’t mind but if you like a helmet you take into a collision sport and don’t want to use another why should he be forced to swap out?

10. The NFL adopted the one-helmet rule as a health and safety measure. As helmet technology improves, it’s unclear whether having one helmet for every practice and game makes much of a difference, if any.
    ________________

Its likely more about ‘perception’ of safety than anything else. If there is a study somewhere that shows that using a single certified helmet is safer than having multiple helmets, the NFL can point to that as an additional measure of safety taken to prevent concussions.

Another massive concussion lawsuit will hurt the NFL in their pockets far more than any alternate jersey sales can make up for.

11. Does anyone actually think that players only wear one helmet all season long? There are players who actually wear 2 or 3 different helmets in the same game. What happens when players get traded or cut and sign with another team ? They wind up wearing more than one helmet in a season. Rule is idiotic.

12. Eagles need to wear kelly green a few games a year. Many older fans like me certainly want that.

13. I remember the 50th anniversary of the AFL and the Chiefs wore the Dallas Texans helmets against the Cowboys in a game. It was both fun to watch as a fan and hard to watch because of Matt Cassel.

14. It should be mandatory that Tampa Bay wear their creamsicle uniforms for at least 2 games per year and in the playoffs!

15. All ugly throwbacks should be permanently banned, those ugly Packers uniforms, those hideous NY Titans jerseys that the Jets wore, those Bumblebee Steeler jerseys. And ban the current Titans helmets ha ha. All Navy blue you gotta be kidding me. Only Nike could mess up Titans colors

16. Sunday Swami says:
    April 10, 2021 at 11:49 am

11 36 Rate This

——————
    Ugh.

The jerseys differ with the helmet shift. Please try to make sense.

17. I really don’t care what unis they play in. Throwbacks and everything else are for the sole purpose of marketing merch to people and making more money for the owners.

18. The Eagles would not only benefit from Kelly Green, but also from having a white helmet with kelly or midnight green wings.

Open the floodgates…

19. You or I don’t get sued when a former player has brain damage due to his football days. The NFL does. You or I don’t volunteer to pay the lawsuit settlements. The NFL does. You and I can have a lot of opinions, but the guys with the checkbook make the rules. And you and I can sit here and be Monday morning QB’s until the cows come home. It’s fun. But be serious.

20. If there is any rule that needs to be amended it is that rule…
    Several teams would become more interesting… The Bucs come to mind.. The old Bucco Bruce helmets NOT every game (BLAAA!) but 1 or two times a season…

21. Fashion…….Literally the least important least interesting aspect of football.

22. touchback6 says:
    April 10, 2021 at 2:17 pm
    Sunday Swami says:
    April 10, 2021 at 11:49 am

11 36 Rate This

——————
    Ugh.

The jerseys differ with the helmet shift. Please try to make sense.

———-

Wow…Swami’s comment *really* bothered you, didn’t it?

It’s not as misguided as your smug disgust suggests; people tend to buy throwback jerseys whether there’s a team on a field somewhere wearing the throwback helmet or not. At least that’s the way it works in Philly; Kelly Green for days, dude…and they’ve only worn those helmets once since 1995. Once.

Please try to get on your high horse only when it makes sense to do so.

23. I do not really understand the helmet rule in terms of player safety. Each player uses an approved helmet model, with an approved face mask, and I think has a certain level of customization done to the padding for the best fit. I do not see how the player using two or more helmets, each set up identically but of a different color would somehow compromise the player’s safety. If I drive a red Volvo of a certain model some of the time and an identical blue Volvo The rest of the time, my crash survivability is not going to be any different based on the color Volvo I was driving at the time of the accident.

24. touchback6 says:
    April 10, 2021 at 2:17 pm
    Sunday Swami says:
    April 10, 2021 at 11:49 am

11 36 Rate This

——————
    Ugh.

The jerseys differ with the helmet shift. Please try to make sense.

———-

Wow…Swami’s comment *really* bothered you, didn’t it?

Please try to get on your high horse only when it makes sense to do so.
    ——–
    I’d be willing to bet that the jersey sales sky rocketed for the eagles throwbacks after they wore them on opening day in 2010. Not so much with the blue n yellow disaster from 07(I think it was 07)

25. You or I don’t get sued when a former player has brain damage due to his football days.
    ————————————

Changing helmets isn’t preventing or causing brain damage. If that were the case every Oregon Duck player would be brain damaged before leaving college. They change helmets almost every week. Playing football has its risks and rewards. If you don’t want the risk don’t play. There’s enough information now to be educated. To prevent lawsuits players should be signing waivers acknowledging that they understand the risks and hold the league harmless,

26. bird2urmother says:
    April 10, 2021 at 5:01 pm
    touchback6 says:
    April 10, 2021 at 2:17 pm
    Sunday Swami says:
    April 10, 2021 at 11:49 am

11 36 Rate This

——————
    Ugh.

The jerseys differ with the helmet shift. Please try to make sense.

———-

Wow…Swami’s comment *really* bothered you, didn’t it?

Please try to get on your high horse only when it makes sense to do so.
    ——–

——-

As somebody who has rooted for the team since ’71, I can tell you that when Lurie bought the team and changed the uniforms to midnight green, kelly green sales went through the roof and stayed there. A lot of people liked midnight green, but a lot more hated it, and associated it with him (a guy they couldn’t relate to).

27. touchback6 says:

April 10, 2021 at 2:17 pm

Sunday Swami says:
    April 10, 2021 at 11:49 am

11 36 Rate This

——————
    Ugh.

The jerseys differ with the helmet shift. Please try to make sense.

———-
    Except you can change jerseys and wear throwbacks right now without having to change the helmet and the fans still buy those jerseys.

28. Oilers helmets? No. The Flaming Thumbtacks left all records as well as team colors and logos when they abandoned Houston. One of the stupidest uniform games in NFL history – worse even than the Color Blind Bowl – was when the Jets wore throwbacks to the NY Titans in a game against the Tennessee Titans. The Thumbtacks don’t have any more claim to the Oilers than the Ravens have to the Browns.

29. This is fabulous. All this clamoring about a helmet. Why can’t they just wrap it for the games? Or just let the teams decide? I would assume it would be all positive in the money department. Bonus that I did just learn the Flaming Thumbtack team name. Thx Ronfromnm!

30. Sunday Swami says:
    April 10, 2021 at 11:49 am

All the thumbs down (so I am prepared) but I agree with you. Florio’s perspective I think because he wrote similar things about the new jersey number rules. In that case yes it will likely be a cash surge because one’s favorite player may get a new number but that is one time. Helmets? Yeah I got one back in ’78 as a kid but in the 43 years since, that’s it.

31. This rules makes no sense, it’s aesthetics and it would be the same helmet for every team member, the things the commissioner’s office holds the line are ridiculous year in and year out

32. Bc Puckett – I don’t think there is any evidence of your claim being true. Why in the world would a player wear 3 helmets in a game?
    Are you so delusional as to think that teams have or travel with three helmets per player?
    To quote ANOTHER delusional person… “C’mon Man!”

33. This is all jibber jabber. Bring me the white bengal tiger helmet…name me a better alternate, I’ll wait.

34. There have been multiple teams that have worn two helmets during the season, which I don’t understand. The Packers wear those ugly solid green jerseys with their navy throwbacks, the Bears wore those wolverine style helmets last year for the NFL 100 anniversary, the Lions wear the all silver helmets for Thanksgiving, the Titans have worn the AFL Oilers throwback helmets as well. You should be allowed your regular helmet, an alternate or color rush helmet, and then at least one throwback helmet when teams don the throwback uniforms. I also agree with Derek Henry, more teams should wear throwbacks. I think every team should wear a throwback uniform at least once a year. It will help the NFL sell more jerseys and get more fans associated with the different teams’ histories.

35. I read once the reason the nfl went to this rule is because a lot of players were wearing older model helmets. Example Riddell VSR4. After these helmets were no longer in production players that wore them couldn’t get them in the alt color. Now that players are in newer models it can become a possibility again. I read this from an equipment manager. So take it how will. But it makes a look of sense.

I hope throwbacks comeback as long as they are no overdone.

36. howboutthemcowboys2020 says:
    April 10, 2021 at 2:14 pm
    All ugly throwbacks should be permanently banned, … blah, blah blah
    ————————–
    It’s bad enough that the NFL half the time is the No Fun League. Last thing we need is No Fun Fans.

37. Regardless of the safety of 1 helmet vs multiple helmets per year, I do not understand not allowing teams to change the color of the helmet between weeks. I am guessing many helmets are reconditioned between games anyway. Why not allow a different (approved) paint scheme/decals a couple times a year?

38. Did anyone ever think to just paint the helmets? They already replace the decals every week.

39. So we’re actually giving thumbs up or thumbs down on this topic? ~150 days until kick off. Most of us won’t remember this conversation. Don’t rush the summer.

40. Call me old fashioned, but I watch the games to see who wins or loses. Not what era of helmets they wear.

41. ronfromnm says:
    April 10, 2021 at 6:13 pm

————————
    Except that the city of Houston let the team name, colors and history leave town when the franchise left. They were known as the Tennessee Oilers for the ’97 and ’98 seasons…so technically, they are entitled to those throwbacks. I think it’s terrible that the Oilers history wasn’t preserved in Houston as was the case with the Browns in Cleveland, but for whatever reason, Houston didn’t manage to pull it off. A Houston Oilers expansion team with the original colors and uniforms would have been a lot cooler than the Texans name and uniforms…

42. I know that Patriot fans associate the classic red jerseys and “Pat Patriot” with losing, but those were some of the best uniforms and helmet combination.
    They lost wearing those, but they looked good losing.

43. As long as you enforce the type of helmet a player can wear, it doesn’t matter if they wear them only once… this is just a rule to be a rule! One would think, much like why they get a new baseball often, that newer products would be closer to the manufactured specs so therefore safer! The less hits on a helmet, wouldn’t that in theory mean less micro cracks to pressure points and less break down of pads… so let’s them have as many helmets as uniforms, it doesn’t come out of my pocket and it completes the uniform more appropriately. Don’t make rules just to make rules. If an owner wants to shell out their money for their team to look a certain way, let them!

44. To be clear, this should be called the “One Helmet Design” rule. Players have more than one helmet because they do break. Every QB has 2 helmets in case the radio fails in one of them. The same holds for the defensive play caller, and if he’s injured, there is an alternate defender who also has a radio helmet in addition to his “normal” one.

45. I’m a Pats fan. Let Pat the Patriot live! Stupid rule anyhow! Why you wouldn’t let throwbacks live in all their glory makes zero sense, especially with all the revenue it would generate for the fans of teams who didn’t grow up with the old skool uni’s.

46. If this were actually true, that would also mean a guy who broke or lost his helmet midseason would for some period of time be at greater risk of injury than the rest of the players. If that were actually true they’d have guys wear backup helmets enough during practices to get them past that that break-in period. And if they’re not doing that it’s a sure sign this entire safety argument is rubbish.