Julian Edelman: I am retiring a Patriot

Super Bowl XLIX - New England Patriots v Seattle Seahawks
Getty Images

Julian Edelman is hanging up his cleats.

Shortly after news broke that the Patriots had released Edelman after he failed a physical related to last year’s knee injury, Edelman announced that he has played the last game of his career.

“Nothing in my career has ever come easy,” Edelman said. “This isn’t going to be easy either. I’ve always said I’m going until the wheels come off and they finally have fallen off. Due to an injury last year I will be making my official announcement of my retirement from football. It was a hard decision but the right decision for me and my family. And I am honored and so proud to be retiring as a Patriot.”

Edelman retires with three Super Bowl rings and a Super Bowl MVP award, and he retires with a unique place in Patriots history for his many contributions, which included not only being one of the NFL’s top possession receivers, but also a contributor as a punt returner, a passer on trick plays and even a cornerback at times.

“It’s been a hell of a run,” Edelman said. “I can’t forget you, Patriot Nation.”

50 responses to “Julian Edelman: I am retiring a Patriot

1. Clutch receiver. Like Wes Welker he had no fear of going over the middle. The game is going to miss this guy.

2. Edelman was fearless. Clutch. A fan favorite that earned it.

His catch against the Falcons has to be one of the top ten plays in Super Bowl history.

3. Good for him. Definitely had a better career than most, and was everything Wes Welker should have been. Enjoy your life ahead!

4. Privileged to go from Wes to Julian…!! Not a better number 11..!! Well done Jules

5. A lot of us always called him Iron Man and mini Gronk. If the Patriots had both him and Malcolm Butler in Super Bowl LII, they would have won that game easily.

6. They should try him out for MNF. I think he’d be great and I’m not even a Patriots fan!

7. He left it all out on the field, no doubt about that. Guys a warrior. Thanks for the memories Jules!

8. Good move by Edelman. He is another example of Belichick’s genius. He was a 7th round draft pick who played QB in college.
    Enjoy your retirement. I am not a Patriots fan, but I enjoyed watching Edelman play. He was tough and he was clutch.

9. My favorite thing about JE11 is that he goes to temple every Friday.

10. Congratulations on a great career, Jules. It was always a joy to watch your intensity on the field and the sidelines. I’m looking forward to seeing what’s next for you.

11. Key player in the regular season, and the playoffs. As of SB’s, 49, 51, 53 comes to mind, he didn’t play in SB 52, and you have to assume he would have been great as usual.

12. Was there a harder guy to cover in football? Edelman came up big when it was needed most. No one worked harder either. He will be missed greatly.

13. Amazing player. I remember when he first played for the Patriots, I loved his ability to cut but thought he was a downgrade from Welker based on his hands. Well, he got better and better and I will remember him as one of our best receivers ever. Best of luck Jules. Maybe, just maybe, we will see you back for the 2021 playoffs! 🙂 Never say never. You deserve your rest, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you were already working hard.

14. Nice to see a player get to play his entire career for one team. All to rare these days.

15. Props to him on a great career. Was a treat to watch him play. Tough as nails. Always clutch, and he and Brady were a lethal combo. Congratulations on a fantastic career Julian. Another great from my alma mater Kent State. Look at this list:

Julian Edelman
    Antonio Gates
    Nick Saban
    Ben Curtis
    Thurman Munson
    Corey Conners, who just finished T8 in the Masters this weekend.

Making the Golden Flashes proud!

16. Patriots had a great run, greatest NFL football dynasty, 2001-2019.

It’s over now, and the key players have left or are leaving. Belichick will play out his string until he breaks Shula’s win record, most likely just as Shula did- a touch over .500 his last few years- and the last remnants of the dynasty will be gone forever.

17. And a glaring ommission:

Jack Lambert

Another great player from Kent St.

18. There goes the best slot receiver I’ve seen since Steve Smith. Patriots nation misses you Julian!

19. Some of my favorite Edelman moments happened off field. For example, with both Desean Jackson and the NBA player that went on anti semetic rants, he never once approached them with hate or any vitrol trying to ruin their lives via social media. He reached out his hand, extended kindness in an attempt to just simply educate them on everything. And it actually worked. A fine example he set everyone else should follow.

20. Great player/competitor. I propose this question to Patriots fans…..who was a better slot receiver, Welker or Edelman?

21. Tons of respect for this guy – especially considering how the odds were stacked against him from the start. Congrats on the career.

22. Brady to Edelman on his T-Mobile plan: come to Tampa man! You’re soft…and weak!

23. Love ya, man.

My favorite Pats player of the last 10 years. What a story. He did what Tebow was afraid to do.

24. phillyfinsfan says:
    April 12, 2021 at 8:04 pm

0 1 Rate This
    —————-

Edelman. Welker never lined up at the z or x like Edelman. More dynamic, clutch and a gamer.

Edelman was also the all time leader in punt return average (net) before they took him off the job to preserve his health.

Edelman is a borderline HOFer, while Welker is not.

25. I hate everything about the Patriots but I thoroughly enjoyed watching Edelman play… the man played with a ton of passion

26. jameshodges says:
    April 12, 2021 at 5:50 pm
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Would that be like saying that the Eagles could’ve scored more points if Foles didn’t have bruised ribs? What they had 9x Pro Bowl OT, Jason Peters in for better protection? The same can be said from the other side.

27. ” I am retiring a Patriot”. Is it just me but he didn’t actually say he was retiring right now. He may go play for Tampa Bay or someone else for a few seasons but still end up retiring as a Patriot and still kept his word.

28. patsfan1818 says:
    April 12, 2021 at 7:45 pm

32 2 Rate This

———-

Steve Smith? He wasn’t a slot WR and nor was Edelman. Each lined up anywhere.

29. I have (sports) hate for the patriots.

But this man is what football is about.

Enjoy the fall/winter without an aching back/knees/wrists/etc.

Enjoy life in what you have built.

30. phillyfinsfan says:
    April 12, 2021 at 8:04 pm

As a pure slot receiver, I’d day Welker, but Edelman was a better overall player. Welker was a shade faster, less injury-prone and had fewer drops, though they both had dropsy trouble towards the end. Edelman was shiftier, could make more spectacular catches. Edelman played outside more than welker, and was close to uncoverable when healthy. There’s an argument that the best slot receiver was Troy Brown, but the game and the Pats offence was much different back then.

31. JE left it all on the field. There are few who can be recognized for having ‘Win’ as a persona. He is one of those. TY for inspiring all of us JE!

32. “ patsfan1818 says:
    April 12, 2021 at 7:45 pm
    There goes the best slot receiver I’ve seen since Steve Smith. Patriots nation misses you Julian!”

Steve Smith wasn’t a slot receiver bud. He did almost all his work on the outside facing the other team’s best corner.

33. Players like Edelman are why STH’s pony up the absurd dough to watch in person. Players that compete on every play, win or lose. Hope all goes well for him.

34. ” I am retiring a Patriot”. Is it just me but he didn’t actually say he was retiring right now. He may go play for Tampa Bay or someone else for a few seasons but still end up retiring as a Patriot and still kept his word.
    ——————————————————————————-
    He is still under contract to the Pats for another year, so doubtful.

35. He’s one of the best guys in sports most people outside of New England don’t know about.

I think it’s safe to say people outside of NE don’t think much of the Dink part of the Dink and Dunk passing attack led by Brady. He came across as a punk and a PED abuser …..nothing more.

36. Another solid player Pat’s fans will be whining about to be put in HOF. Very surprised he didn’t cling to another yr in Tampa under pretty boy Brady.

37. Edelman owned so many of you, won 3 Super Bowls, lots of post season records. Made lots of DBs look stupid, which infuriates the fans of the lesser team, it’s still happening today and there wasn’t even a game.

Clearly a HOFer, the wine and cheese crowd can’t handle it.

38. grant35 says:
    April 13, 2021 at 8:00 am
    Another solid player Pat’s fans will be whining about to be put in HOF.
    ————————————-

No, he does not belong in the Canton HOF, obviously he is a lock for the Pats HOF, but there are lesser players than Edelman that are already in Canton, including one or more WRs, and, IMO, there are lesser players than Edelman who were elected to the HOF this year (looking at you John Lynch). Seriously, what would John Lynch have been without true, dominant HOFers on those Bucs defenses like Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks, not to mention border-line HOFers like Simeon Rice and Ronde Barber (both more deserving than Lynch IMO)? Lynch belongs in the same Hall of Very Good as too many already in the HOF.