Minnesota had one of the gems of the 2020 draft, selecting WR Justin Jefferson 22nd overall to replace Stefon Diggs. The rookie finished the season fourth in the league in receiving yards and was selected to the Pro Bowl.
Despite a new offensive star, the Vikings finished the season 7-9. In December, Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer called the team’s defense “the worst one I’ve ever had.” A low point for Minnesota came in a Week 16 52-33 loss to the Saints, the first time the Vikings had allowed 50 or more points since 1984 and the most points scored against a Minnesota defense in 57 years.
Defense remains a priority for the Vikings in the 2021 draft, although they made some important moves in free agency: defensive tackle Dalvin Tomlinson joined on a two-year deal, and cornerbacks Patrick Peterson and Mackensie Alexander, along with safety Xavier Woods, will bolster the secondary. The team felt the absence of defensive end Danielle Hunter last year after Hunter missed the entire season with a neck injury. Zimmer has dismissed rumors that Hunter is unhappy with his 2018 contract, but even if the two-time Pro Bowler is back at full strength, the later rounds of the draft could be a good opportunity to find a standout defensive end to play alongside him. There’s also a major need to strengthen the offensive line, and the Vikings’ first-round pick could go to a tackle like Virginia Tech’s Christian Darrisaw.
Click here for the entire 2021 NFL Draft order and keep reading to see who the Vikings take in the 2021 NFL Draft.
Minnesota Vikings 2021 NFL Draft Picks:
- Round 1: No. 23 (from Jets) – Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech
- Round 3: No. 66 – Kellen Mond, QB, Texas A&M
- Round 3: No. 78 – Chazz Surratt, LB, North Carolina
- Round 3: No. 86 – Wyatt Davis, G, Ohio State
- Round 3: No. 90 (from Ravens) – Patrick Jones II, DE, Pittsburgh
- Round 4: No. 119 – Kene Nwangwu, RB, Iowa State
- Round 4: No. 125 (from Bears) – Camryn Bynum, CB, California
- Round 4: No. 134 (from Bills) – Janarius Robinson, DE, Florida State
- Round 5: No. 157 – Ihmir Smith-Marsette, WR, Iowa
- Round 5: No. 168 (from Steelers) – Zach Davidson, TE, Central Missouri
- Round 6: No. 199 – Jaylen Twyman, DT, Pittsburgh
Check out draft picks for other teams in the NFC North