Teddy Bridgewater: Competition makes us better as human beings

Carolina Panthers v Green Bay Packers
Getty Images

The Broncos have been mentioned as a potential landing spot if the Packers change course and trade Aaron Rodgers, but the only quarterback they’ve acquired via a trade thus far is Teddy Bridgewater.

Bridgewater came over from Carolina in a pre-draft swap that sent a sixth-round pick to the Panthers. The move takes him away from a depth chart with Sam Darnold and sets him up for a competition with Drew Lock in Denver.

That state of affairs suits him just fine. Bridgewater said he’s “very excited” about the opportunity that’s in front of him with the Broncos.

“Competition makes us all better as human beings,” Bridgewater said, via the team’s website. “In the end, you look back and you realize you form relationships and bonds with different guys through competition. You learn a lot about the guy you’re competing against, the guy you’re competing with. So I’m looking forward to this opportunity, making the best of it and just going out there and taking it one day at a time.”

Bridgewater has spent time in several offenses with several teams, so he should be able to grasp what the Broncos are doing quickly enough to make for a spirited competition in Denver this summer.

37 responses to “Teddy Bridgewater: Competition makes us better as human beings

1. I disagree completely. Competition in life makes people cynical and selfish. It leads to many cheating and stealing to get ahead in life.

2. Rodgers would collapse anywhere other than the superb coaching at Green Bay. Bridgwater need not worry.

3. I’m a Raiders fan, but can’t help but have mad respect for this guy, he almost lost his leg.

4. Bridgewater is probably the best QB on the Broncos’ roster. I’m not sure how many teams I could say that about, but Teddy is fortunate to be in Denver. John Elway has done a horrible job with the QB position, except for when he brought in a HOFer and let him run the show. It worked once. Why not try again?

5. Good Luck Teddy, you’re a class act. You’ve beaten a brutal injury, proven you can play, and I am sure will take full advantage of the opportunity.

6. Wrong, Teddy. When it’s either you or him, competition isn’t for Boy Scouts.

7. Competition makes the person who wins a better human being. The person who loses isn’t so lucky. It may work harder to hone their skills but that defeat can’t be erased.

8. jameshodges says:
    May 11, 2021 at 2:31 pm

—-

Your comment says a lot about you and not so much about people in general

9. The competition between Teddy and Love should be interesting. I’m guessing Teddy will get the nod to start off but will prob get the hook by game 6.

10. Wondering if its going to be Bridgewater or Lock that gets packaged with the picks to GB? Lock may have more upside but Bridgewater has a high floor.

11. ameshodges says:
    May 11, 2021 at 2:31 pm

—————

I take it competition is to blame for making you this cynical?

12. Amen to nhpats….people who fear competition have likely never accomplished anything great anyway. Besides. Professional athlete who doesn’t want competition?

13. If anyone knows how to be a better human being, it’s Teddy. If the Broncos trade for Rodgers, they’ll be taking a big step down in the human being category.

14. Bridgewater had great success with the Saints but lackluster success elsewhere.
    I may be a bit biased but think it might have to do with the quality of coaching?

15. ezpkns34 says:
    May 11, 2021 at 3:00 pm
    That kind of talk will get you canceled, Teddy

***************
    Amen brother!

16. nhpats2011 says:
    May 11, 2021 at 2:48 pm

—-

Your comment says a lot about you and not so much about people in general

_____________________________________

Um, it shows that I have a brain. How naive can you possibly be? People lie on their résumé all the time. That doesn’t mean I do it, but I am aware that others will to get ahead. You clearly haven’t lived long enough to notice it.

17. I predict Teddy ‘wins’ camp but Lock starts game one.

(Fun fact: At Louisville Teddy B_h2o’s weight dipped into the 180s in his last season there.)

18. It would be interesting if Rodgers is swapped for Bridgewater to see him go up against his old pals, the Vikings, twice each year.

19. nothing is ever always anything. for some, competition is the best for them, for others, studying will be the biggest contributor to improvement, some wiil even say they learn the most through failure.
    no need to attack TB for being in the first catagory.

20. Succeeding in life isn’t just about having skills. It’s more so about having connections. There are many who lie and break laws to become vice presidents and CEOs of major corporations. Just watch Just watch Wolf of Wall Street. It’s a true story. Some folks taking issue with these facts are choosing to remain delusional.

21. It’s interesting reading you guys argue about the dream world vs. the real world. I think everyone would love to live in the dream world, but wishful thinking is only wishful thinking.

22. Bridgewater is a class act. This is why he will always be successful at anything he tries.

23. The young man has faced adversity head on and succeeded. Sure there are some who resent him for whatever reason yet he continues to stand tall. I’d be happy to have him on my team any day.

24. jameshodges says:
    May 11, 2021 at 3:36 pm
    nhpats2011 says:
    May 11, 2021 at 2:48 pm

—-

Your comment says a lot about you and not so much about people in general

_____________________________________

———

I’m willing to bet I have lived longer than you. I have also competed many times in my career both working for an employer and in my own business. Competition made me stronger abs I welcome it. So do most successful people

25. charliecharger says:

May 11, 2021 at 5:06 pm

————————-
    I’ve seen your comments over the years and you definitely bury your head in the sand in your own dream world

26. 8 times teddy stepped on the field with a chance to win or tie. 8 times he was unsuccessful.
    Hold the clipboard and run the scout team and tell us what you see in the film room. But this man will not take a team anywhere as a QB. Darnold can’t be worse tha 0-8 with a chance to win or tie.

27. jameshodges says:
    May 11, 2021 at 2:31 pm
    I disagree completely. Competition in life makes people cynical and selfish. It leads to many cheating and stealing to get ahead in life.////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    What a soft boiled egg you are. Not only does competition make you stronger, it makes you more resourceful, and allows you to recover from setbacks. In some circumstances, athletics among them, it can be exhilarating.

28. Competition has its uses and its place.

But the fact is, humans survived because they formed cooperative societies.

And, as a planet we must cooperate or we will surely perish.

Ask any manager how they approach large scale projects.
    Heck, ask a football coach what the “key” ingredient to success is

Teamwork

29. Without competition, is there anything other than handouts? Seems to me those who feel competition is wrong are either afraid to compete or expect giveaways.

30. I think Teddy knows who he is in that he will never be a top 5 QB, but he has already had a successful NFL career. He’s played in the league for years, he’s highly respected, and he’s made a boat load of money. Anything from here on is just icing on the cake.

31. This guy is easy to like, I hope he does well…unless he’s facing the Giants.